KSRAO, RE: [Sadhu Sanga] RE: Consciousness

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jun 24, 2017, 3:18:03 PM6/24/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear KSRAO,

First, scientists have not agreed on the definition of consciousness! And before they can explain it “ in simple terms to non-scientists” they have to understand it themselves!! Of course, even how life arises from atoms is not clear. That is why there are all these endless debates.

By the way I have one argument in favor of possibility that atoms or particles  may have some rudimentary consciousness. Biologists now know that the difference in genes between chimpanzee and humans may be at the most one percent. But genes can be turned on or off. That is what makes us different. Similarly, perhaps consciousness can be turned on or off.  Of course I cannot prove that. Otherwise I will buy a ticket to Stockholm to collect my Nobel Prize!!

Best Regards,

Kashyap

Jun 24, 2017, 5:55:49 PM6/24/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
-
Kashyap Vasavada <vasa...@iupui.edu> on June 24, 2017 wrote:
>First, scientists have not agreed on the definition of consciousness!
.
[S.P.] There is no need to agree on the definition of consciousness. The case is that apart from third-person approach (like neurophysiologic search for neural correlates), there is a first-person approach (when every researcher constructs his version of the theory of consciousness and then we solve the problem of intersubjectivity).
.
If applying the first-person approach, a researcher is free to define the basic concepts of own theory as he likes. The only requirement is that the resulting theory should possesses a sufficient explanatory and predictive power. I mean that such a concept as "consciousness" is strictly theory-laden.
.
Personally, I consider the first-person approach as the most promising. To do science means that we use the methods, models and tools which correspond to the nature of the object of study. So, consciousness, as a tool, is the most appropriate for studying itself.
.
[Kashyap Vasavada] wrote:
> Of course, even how life arises from atoms is not clear. That is
>why there are all these endless debates.
.
[S.P.] Trying to understand "how life arises from atoms" is the same as trying to open the door painted on the brick wall. The irony is that life arises not from atoms, but from complex systems due to reducing their overall entropy.
.
Best,
Serge Patlavskiy
.
PS. I would much like to know your opinion concerning my reply on June 20, 2017. In case you have missed it I attach it below.

Jun 24, 2017, 5:55:49 PM6/24/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Have scientists agreed on the definitation of LIFE?

Siegfried Bleher

Jun 24, 2017, 7:28:58 PM6/24/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Serge,

You have stated:

The case is that the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system (like an atom) depends equally on the activity of three factors simultaneously: on informational factor, on material factor, and on energetic factor. If the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system would depend ONLY on the activity of energetic factor, the complex system would absorb/release energy in a continuous manner.”

Would you please explain:

  1. how are you deciding on degree of complexity—i.e. do you consider the H-atom ‘complex’ even though it is integrable?
  2. Are you using a different method of evaluating complexity than one of the many kinds of existent measures such as thermodynamic entropy, or Kolmogorov (dynamical) entropy?

Best wishes,

Siegfried

--

----------------------------
[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jun 25, 2017, 4:56:26 AM6/25/17
to Serge Patlavskiy, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Serge,

Admittedly I have not done any work in the field of consciousness. So my opinion should be regarded as a “layman scientist’s opinion” in this field!

(S.P.) “There is no need to agree on the definition of consciousness”

(K.V.) This may be the central issue. Scientists cannot give theory without defining a quantity. I do not know how much science can proceed with 1pp. That defies the whole concept of science as an objective study where all observers get together with their observations and someone proposes a theory which explains maximum number of data. Quantum mechanics is part of science because even though a single observer gets subjective probabilistic results, after large number of data on identically prepared systems are added up, there is a unique result (statistically, not subjective any more). That is the hang up in understanding consciousness.

(S.P.) “The irony is that life arises not from atoms, but from complex systems due to reducing their overall entropy.

(K.V.) Well no matter how complex a system like amino acids, proteins, DNAs etc. is, it consists of atoms after all. Admittedly, it is possible that in large systems made out of atoms, some features not present in the original atoms might come out. But as far as I know, no one has succeeded in showing that. Otherwise we would understand how life came about as amino acids got together!

Previous e-mail.

(S.P.) Who is observer? Passive or Active?

There is still lot of controversy whether wave function collapses because of conscious observers or a machine can do it equally well. Personally I prefer Copenhagen interpretation where the collapse is taking place in observer’s mind, his/her knowledge about the system changes every time an observation is made. I have some reservations about this also. Of course everything is subject to the Born rule. I am not sure if it makes any difference to the system being measured whether the data are taken by a Nobel Laureate physicist or a poor illiterate villager who is taught to press buttons, but otherwise does not know what he is doing. Both would have the same qualia. I do not know what difference cognitive understanding of results makes to natural processes. Quantum mechanical reactions went on in the universe when no sentient life was present. Some people (e.g. Siegfried) say that the sentient people are reconstructing the history now! Ok. But there is still some doubt in mind about what would have happened if sentient objects never came up in the universe.

(S.P.) Human observer CANNOT observe quantum phenomena in principle. Quantum phenomena are UNOBSERVABLE.

(K.V.) I do not understand what you mean. If you prepare a superposed beam of electrons as

0.8 (spin up) + 0.6 (spin down)

QM guarantees that when you measure, say a million electrons, 640,000 electrons would have spin up and 360,000 electrons would have spin down. This is not classical result. You do have information about a quantum system. It is true, any random observer may get spin up or spin down. You are right if you say that we do not know spin of a single electron before measurement. But that is not my point.

(S.P.) The case is that the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system (like an atom) depends equally on the activity of three factors simultaneously: on informational factor, on material factor, and on energetic factor. If the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system would depend ONLY on the activity of energetic factor, the complex system would absorb/release energy in a continuous manner.

(K.V.) I do not understand your viewpoint. I suppose, it was decided long long time ago that discreteness (quanta) of energy absorption or emission came from the fact that the atomic or molecular energy levels are quantized.  If I misunderstood your viewpoint let me know.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

.

Jun 25, 2017, 7:55:56 AM6/25/17
Siegfried Bleher <SBl...@msn.com> on June 25, 2017 wrote:
> Would you please explain:
>
>1. how are you deciding on degree of complexity—i.e. do you
>consider the H-atom ‘complex’ even though it is integrable?
.
[S.P.] First. The term "complex system" stands for a single concept. It is not "a system" that is "complex". It is just a name. For example, if there is a person named John Longnose, it is just a name -- it does not mean that it is John who has got a long nose.
.
Second. My explanatory framework has a level-by-level or floor-by-floor structure (I have mentioned about this fact many times; for details, see the attached html documents). I mean, that on a first floor I talk about "whole", "complex system", and so on. But when I reach the fourth floor, I introduce the integrated information system (or IIS for short), and instead of "whole{object of study}" or "system{object of study}" I use the notation "the IIS{object of study}" with all that such a notation implies. And only then I will be able to talk about the degrees of complexity of integrated information systems (for details, see http://generaltheory.webs.com/ElaborNewParadigm.pdf  Figure 12).
.
So, a "complex system" -- it is like "some man" who can only be said to be existent, but the IIS -- it is like a concrete man who has got a name, a passport, a set of rights and obligations, a medical insurance, a credit card, and other concrete features and attributes.
.
But, being on the lower floors, I may consider, what I call, existential condition. So, I hold that any entity, if it exists, it must be formalizable as a complex system which describes necessarily and simultaneously by 1-st, 2-nd, and 3-rd characteristics which pertain to activity of informational, material and energetic factors correspondingly. In this sense, any existent entity (the H-atom including) is irreducibly complex. Here, by "irreducible complexity" I mean a minimally required complexity necessary for existence of this entity -- namely, I mean describability by three characteristics simultaneously.
.
So, the H-atom, in fact, is not just a material object. First of all, it is an existent entity, and, in virtue of being existent, it must be formalizable as a system{H-atom} which also describes by the mentioned above three characteristics. However, in Physics/Chemistry we may safely ignore the activity of informational factor and consider the H-atom just as a material object. But, we cannot ignore the activity of informational factor in case we consider the system{living organism}.
.
[Siegfried Bleher] wrote:
> 2. Are you using a different method of evaluating complexity
>than one of the many kinds of existent measures such as
>thermodynamic entropy, or Kolmogorov (dynamical) entropy?
.
[S.P.] I use my own concept of "entropy" which differs from the Boltzmann one. My entropy is always subject-dependent. I dwell on this subject in details in my post on May 1, 2017 (in case you have missed it, I attach it below).
.
Kindly,
Serge Patlavskiy
.
PS. I would much like to know your opinion concerning my post on June 11 -- it is a reply to your post. In case you have missed it, I attach it below as well for your convenience.

The case is that the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system (like an atom) depends equally on the activity of three factors simultaneously: on informational factor, on material factor, and on energetic factor. If the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system would depend ONLY on the activity of energetic factor, the complex system would absorb/release energy in a continuous manner.”

Would you please explain:

  1. how are you deciding on degree of complexity—i.e. do you consider the H-atom ‘complex’ even though it is integrable?
  2. Are you using a different method of evaluating complexity than one of the many kinds of existent measures such as thermodynamic entropy, or Kolmogorov (dynamical) entropy?

Best wishes,

Siegfried

Вірусів немає. www.avast.com
jcs-online-post_15600.html
jcs-online-post_15621.html
Sadhu_Sanga-post2_1-05-2017.txt
Sadhu_Sanga-post4_11-06-2017.txt

Serge Patlavskiy

Jun 25, 2017, 9:47:24 AM6/25/17
Kashyap Vasavada <vasa...@iupui.edu> on June 25, 2017 wrote:
> (S.P.) "There is no need to agree on the definition of consciousness"
>(K.V.) This may be the central issue. Scientists cannot give theory
>without defining a quantity. I do not know how much science can
>proceed with 1pp. That defies the whole concept of science as an
>objective study where all observers get together with their observations
> and someone proposes a theory which explains maximum number
>of data.
.
[S.P.] In fact, I suggest a solution of how to make a Science of Consciousness a valid objective science. As I said: "... there is a first-person approach (when every researcher constructs his version of the theory of consciousness and then we solve the problem of intersubjectivity)."
.
So, you have missed the phrase "then we solve the problem of intersubjectivity". I dwell on this subject in details yet in my reply to Priyedarshi Jetli on April 20, 2017. I mention therein the role of what I call the "criteria of formal correctness". In case you have missed that post, I attach it below for you convenience.
.
[Kashyap Vasavada] wrote:
> (S.P.) "The irony is that life arises not from atoms, but from
>complex systems due to reducing their overall entropy.
>(K.V.) Well no matter how complex a system like amino acids,
>proteins, DNAs etc. is, it consists of atoms after all. Admittedly,
>it is possible that in large systems made out of atoms, some
>features not present in the original atoms might come out.
.
[S.P.] This is called the absence of entropy additivity -- the Whole is more than the sum of its parts.
.
Second. Your using the phrases like "it consists of" and "made out of" demonstrates that you continue thinking in decompositional models: the original Whole is decomposable into parts/debris, or, to understand something we have to decompose it into parts. This approach works fine in Classical Physics, but the problems already appear in Modern Physics.
.
As to complex systems (like living organisms), instead of decompositional models we have to apply a system of AS-DIS-DEC models which presumes that the original Whole may also dissociate with formation of a chain of wholes -- the elements of the same DIS-model (for details, see my post on June 22, 2017; I attach it below).
.
With respect,
Serge Patlavskiy