Zotero 3.0b1 testing

Simon

Aug 10, 2011, 8:12:43 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Dear Zoterans,

We are almost prepared to release our first beta of Zotero 3.0, available both as a Firefox extension and in standalone form, and we would appreciate some testing before a public release. New features include:

- Completely rewritten connectors for Chrome and Safari, offering the ability to save items from many pages while Zotero Standalone is closed.
- A connector for Firefox, automatically activated when Zotero Standalone is opened.
- Duplicate detection.
- Ability to store references in Word documents.
- New, streamlined add citation dialog.

Zotero 3.0b1 requires new word processor plug-ins and connectors. We are investigating ways to package everything as a single download, but this won't be ready in time for beta 1.

Please note that these downloads are not intended for production use, and will not auto-update (or, in the case of the XPIs, will auto-update to future dev versions, but not to 3.0b1).

Zotero for Firefox: https://www.zotero.org/download/dev/zotero-trunk.xpi

Zotero Word for Mac Integration for Firefox: http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-trunk.xpi
Zotero Word for Windows Integration for Firefox: http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-trunk.xpi
Zotero LibreOffice Integration for Firefox: http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-OpenOffice-Plugin-trunk.xpi

Zotero Standalone for Windows: https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_setup.exe
Zotero Standalone for Mac OS X: https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero.dmg
Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86): https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_linux-i686.tar.bz2
Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86-64): https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

Zotero Connector for Chrome: https://zotero.org/download/everywhere/chrome/Zotero_Connector_dev.crx
Zotero Connector for Safari: https://zotero.org/download/everywhere/safari/Zotero_Connector_dev.safariextz

Simon

Bruce D'Arcus

Aug 10, 2011, 8:27:28 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:

> - Ability to store references in Word documents.

Can you clarify more?

DOC?

DOCX?

ODF (w/OpenOffice)?

Bruce

Simon

Aug 10, 2011, 8:45:38 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
We're using the CSL citation schema from https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-citation.json to encode the metadata, so it's a tweak to the field code that will work everywhere. It should be cross-compatible with Mendeley, although I'm not sure if they're equipped to recognize our field codes on non-Windows platforms.

Tim Hamilton

Aug 10, 2011, 10:35:22 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
> --

Chris,

I'm keen to do some testing of 3.0b1. Though I'd like to know how this
will effect my current database & installations.

I currently run the Firefox version 2.1.8r10027 across two machines
(Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian) and was already contemplating
moving towards the standalone installation.

Would I be fine to uninstall the Firefox & LibreOffice plugins,
install the stand alone and point it at my library? And, would I have
to do this to both installations? ie. Does 3.0 update my database?

Thanks
Tim Hamilton
--
Vote NO in referenda.

Rintze Zelle

Aug 10, 2011, 11:22:27 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:45:38 PM UTC-4, Simon wrote:
We're using the CSL citation schema from https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-citation.json to encode the metadata, so it's a tweak to the field code that will work everywhere. It should be cross-compatible with Mendeley, although I'm not sure if they're equipped to recognize our field codes on non-Windows platforms.

I'd like to stress again that I wrote csl-citation.json based on the documentation of citeproc-js, the JSON input from the test suite tests and the example provided by Mendeley. This JSON schema hasn't been vetted or otherwise reviewed, and might not make sense outside the scope of citeproc-js.

Rintze

Sopheak Hean

Aug 10, 2011, 11:25:05 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,
I've had a test of this latest on a MacBook Lion  and one thing I noticed is that the standalone installed fine but there is a problem with Safari connection.
However when installing for Firefox 5 on Lion it works just fine but the problem is there is no PythonEx version for Zotero 3.01b. I tried installed the older version of PythonEx and it seems to installed just fine but when click on inserting citation in MacWord 2011 and there is no APA referencing style list.

Chrome isn't working on OSX Lion so therefore I cannot test this out.
Could you provide an updated version of PythonEx for this latest Zotero?

Best regards,
Sopheak

Simon

Aug 10, 2011, 11:41:38 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:35:22 PM UTC-4, pseudomorph wrote:
I'm keen to do some testing of 3.0b1. Though I'd like to know how this

will effect my current database & installations.

I currently run the Firefox version 2.1.8r10027 across two machines
(Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian) and was already contemplating
moving towards the standalone installation.

Would I be fine to uninstall the Firefox & LibreOffice plugins,
install the stand alone and point it at my library? And, would I have
to do this to both installations? ie. Does 3.0 update my database?

It should be fine to uninstall the plugins, or to install the 3.0b1 plugin, which can run simultaneously with Standalone.

3.0b1 doesn't update your database, but as always, you should make frequent backups. Documents created with 3.0b1 should be compatible with earlier versions of Zotero if you uncheck the "Store references" checkbox, although this hasn't gotten much testing.

Simon

Simon

Aug 10, 2011, 11:43:08 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:25:05 PM UTC-4, Sopheak Hean wrote:
Hello Simon,
I've had a test of this latest on a MacBook Lion  and one thing I noticed is that the standalone installed fine but there is a problem with Safari connection.

What exactly is the problem?

However when installing for Firefox 5 on Lion it works just fine but the problem is there is no PythonEx version for Zotero 3.01b. I tried installed the older version of PythonEx and it seems to installed just fine but when click on inserting citation in MacWord 2011 and there is no APA referencing style list.

You should use the same PythonExt version. It seems that there aren't any styles because there's a packaging issue with the trunk XPI. We'll look into it.

Chrome isn't working on OSX Lion so therefore I cannot test this out.

Chrome works fine for me on Lion.

Simon

sopheak hean

Aug 10, 2011, 11:49:11 PM8/10/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
The problem is it won't detect the cites on the website with Safari OSX10.7.
But it is installed just fine on OSX 10.6. So I guess you may need to revise on the OSX Lion as well.

The standalone works great, I have not tested it on Windows XP/7 yet. I will do that sometimes in the weekend or Monday.
Does the translators need changing as well with this version or it has backward support?

Best regards,
Sopheak

sopheak Hean

Avram Lyon

Aug 11, 2011, 4:45:21 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:49 AM, sopheak hean <maxxim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The standalone works great, I have not tested it on Windows XP/7 yet. I will
> do that sometimes in the weekend or Monday.
> Does the translators need changing as well with this version or it has
> backward support?

Translators should all work fine. Among the changes for translator
authors, however, is that the translators are served directly from
GitHub (https://github.com/zotero/translators), which means both that
they should be able to reach users faster and that the preferred
submission method for translators is now to fork the main repository
and issue a pull request; see https://github.com/zotero/translators
for instructions on doing so using GitHub. This workflow is exactly
what we recommend for style submission (in fact, I stole the
documentation from that page), so it should be familiar to many.

The other major change is that Zotero 3.0 (and Zotero 2.1.9, which
should be imminent) support automated translator testing, as discussed
on this list several months ago. I've written up a basic overview of
that system (http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators/testing),
but the documentation still needs some work, including screenshots.

To work best with the translator testing system, you should also
install the Scaffold 3.0 preview
(http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators/scaffold), which makes
it easy to create and run translator tests in Zotero 2.1.9+ and Zotero
3.0, in addition to other cool features, like the ability to use an
external text editor, ACE integration, error highlighting, and
improved translator selection in the load translator window.

Avram

Sean Takats

Aug 11, 2011, 5:14:17 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
One other related change is connector-only translation which creates items directly on the Zotero servers. I recently updated the arXiv.org translator to work in this way, and it was entirely straightforward even though I've become very rusty when it comes to translator development (and never was very good in the first place). Nonetheless, it's going to take a solid chunk of time to get every translator tweaked and tested to run in this manner. If we could get a handful or more people involved, things would go much more quickly.

One final note: we're now encouraging the inclusion of a licensing block in each translator to make licensing terms explicit.

Sean

Avram Lyon

Aug 11, 2011, 5:34:21 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Sean Takats <sta...@gmu.edu> wrote:
> One other related change is connector-only translation which creates items directly on the Zotero servers. I recently updated the arXiv.org translator to work in this way, and it was entirely straightforward even though I've become very rusty when it comes to translator development (and never was very good in the first place). Nonetheless, it's going to take a solid chunk of time to get every translator tweaked and tested to run in this manner. If we could get a handful or more people involved, things would go much more quickly.

The guidelines for connector compatibility, and other such changes are
outlined in the developer changelog
(http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/changes_in_zotero_2.1_and_zotero_standalone).
More detailed information on connectors will eventually make its way
to a separate page
(http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators/connectors).

Note that translators that use Erik's translator framework are
automatically connector-compatible.

> One final note: we're now encouraging the inclusion of a licensing block in each translator to make licensing terms explicit.

Licensing is noted here: http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators#licensing

It would be helpful if people who have submitted unlicensed code in
the past would post license declarations for their contributions (even
contributions made years ago), so that we can get explicit licenses on
the translators. Affero GPL, the main license of the project, is
recommended. It is the opinion of Erik and me that framework-derived
translators are automatically subject to the Affero GPL, as they are
derived from AGPL code. Still, explicit declarations would be nice for
them as well.

Maybe I can add license insertion as a Scaffold feature.

Avram

Stephan Hügel

Aug 11, 2011, 6:22:02 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
The OS X standalone app immediately crashes on my system (10.6.8 32-bit):

([0x0-0x259259].org.zotero.zotero[20285]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

I've attached the full crash report.
zotero_2011-08-11-111750_sth-mbp-2.crash

Simon

Aug 11, 2011, 8:08:12 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. A new build is up in the same place that should fix this. Make sure to clear your cache.

Simon

Stephan Hügel

Aug 11, 2011, 8:26:05 AM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Yep, working now. Thanks Simon.

adamsmith

Aug 11, 2011, 1:13:09 PM8/11/11
to zotero-dev
I know you're mainly interested in testing, but I'd be curious about
the status of the csl/zotero schema/item update that Avram, Rintze et
al have been putting a lot of work into (i.e. can we at least get the
mapping changes/fixes/additions?).

Also, anyway we can address the issue of the styles shipped with the
clients - as I have pointed out many times, the list of styles shipped
currently with Zotero makes very little sense - e.g. it includes two
styles that are essentially redundant (MHRA and Vancouver/NLM) and
other styles that are of poor quality (ASA, Harvard 1).

Dan Stillman

Aug 11, 2011, 1:19:31 PM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 8/11/11 1:13 PM, adamsmith wrote:
> I know you're mainly interested in testing, but I'd be curious about
> the status of the csl/zotero schema/item update that Avram, Rintze et
> al have been putting a lot of work into (i.e. can we at least get the
> mapping changes/fixes/additions?).

Not for the first beta, but we'll see what we can do for later betas.
Mappings are easy, but changed fields could require a lot of work if we
don't want to do a sync cut-off (and 3.0 doesn't yet require a DB
upgrade either), so those may get pushed back to the next major release.

> Also, anyway we can address the issue of the styles shipped with the
> clients - as I have pointed out many times, the list of styles shipped
> currently with Zotero makes very little sense - e.g. it includes two
> styles that are essentially redundant (MHRA and Vancouver/NLM) and
> other styles that are of poor quality (ASA, Harvard 1).

We've already updated the build script to pull styles from GitHub, so at
least it's now including up-to-date ones. Feel free to take the lead on
hashing out a final list. Once we have that, we can adjust what gets
bundled.

Simon

Aug 11, 2011, 2:51:47 PM8/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:49:11 PM UTC-4, Sopheak Hean wrote:
The problem is it won't detect the cites on the website with Safari OSX10.7.
But it is installed just fine on OSX 10.6. So I guess you may need to revise on the OSX Lion as well.

It works fine on Lion here. What site(s) aren't working? You should be able to generate a report ID by control-clicking on any site, choosing "Zotero Preferences...", and clicking "Report Errors", which might help us track down the issue.

Simon

adamsmith

Aug 11, 2011, 8:27:57 PM8/11/11
to zotero-dev

> We've already updated the build script to pull styles from GitHub, so at
> least it's now including up-to-date ones. Feel free to take the lead on
> hashing out a final list. Once we have that, we can adjust what gets
> bundled.
thanks, the thread for this, which one of you kindly made sticky, is
here:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19085/packaged-citation-style

Symbiont

Aug 12, 2011, 5:30:34 AM8/12/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Standalone works fine in Lion, Safari 5.1 Connector works, Mendeley communication works.
Thanks!

Tim Hamilton

Aug 15, 2011, 7:07:11 AM8/15/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
HI Simon,

I've been testing Zotero Standalone on Linux Mint 11 (essentially
Ubuntu 11.04) and have a few comments and observations.

The connector with Firefox does not appear to be working as I do not
get an icon in order to import citations.

LibreOffice integration seems to work well except for a two niggles
with the Quick Format Citation dialog. Although it works correctly in
the majority of times it is called about 30-40% of the time it will
either not be in focus or, more often, will pop up behind the active
window. Also on the odd occasion esc key does not cause it to exit.

I'll also give the Chrome/Chromium connector a run however the link in
to the file is currently showing a site update message.

Cheers
Tim

Simon

Aug 15, 2011, 1:18:07 PM8/15/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07:11 AM UTC-4, pseudomorph wrote:
HI Simon,

I've been testing Zotero Standalone on Linux Mint 11 (essentially
Ubuntu 11.04) and have a few comments and observations.

The connector with Firefox does not appear to be working as I do not
get an icon in order to import citations.

At what site(s)? Can you generate a report ID and a debug ID?

LibreOffice integration seems to work well except for a two niggles
with the Quick Format Citation dialog. Although it works correctly in
the majority of times it is called about 30-40% of the time it will
either not be in focus or, more often, will pop up behind the active
window. Also on the odd occasion esc key does not cause it to exit.

I'm not sure why escape wouldn't exit, but the reason it's not in focus is that your window manager has focus stealing prevention enabled. We'll have a solution for this eventually.

I'll also give the Chrome/Chromium connector a run however the link in
to the file is currently showing a site update message.

Site update should be done.

Simon

Tim Hamilton

Aug 16, 2011, 4:40:41 AM8/16/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07:11 AM UTC-4, pseudomorph wrote:
>>
>> HI Simon,
>>
>> I've been testing Zotero Standalone on Linux Mint 11 (essentially
>> Ubuntu 11.04) and have a few comments and observations.

For clarity, this is a 32bit system using Zotero_linux-i686.

>> The connector with Firefox does not appear to be working as I do not
>> get an icon in order to import citations.
>
> At what site(s)? Can you generate a report ID and a debug ID?

This problem occurs on all sites, none display a Zotero save icon in
the Firefox address bar. A selection would be:
Library of Congress (http://catalog.loc.gov)
Google books (http://books.google.com.au/)
Melbourne University Library (http://cat.lib.unimelb.edu.au/)
LaTrobe University Library (http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/)

Report ID: 1215028378
Debug ID: As Zotero is not invoked by Firefox there is no debug output
to report.
Running Zotero from the command line after enabling debug logging
produces the following output.
http://pastebin.com/91QdpQUn

Is it possible that a previous installation of the Zotero Firefox
plugin is causing a conflict even though it has been removed?
Is it worth testing with an alternate Firefox profile?

> I'm not sure why escape wouldn't exit, but the reason it's not in focus is
> that your window manager has focus stealing prevention enabled. We'll have a
> solution for this eventually.

Great, will this also solve the issue that when using the Classic View
citation dialog that the Zotero window is brought to the foreground
while citation details entered and not backgrounded again once
complete?

>> I'll also give the Chrome/Chromium connector a run however the link in
>> to the file is currently showing a site update message.

The Chromium extension seems to work fine though I did have an issue
saving items from the Library of Congress. I would assume this is a
translator issue though it did seem to save correctly.

Debug ID: D664061157

Cheers
Tim

Avram Lyon

Aug 16, 2011, 5:00:18 AM8/16/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Tim Hamilton <hamilt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been testing Zotero Standalone on Linux Mint 11 (essentially
>>> Ubuntu 11.04) and have a few comments and observations.
>
> For clarity, this is a 32bit system using Zotero_linux-i686.
>
>>> The connector with Firefox does not appear to be working as I do not
>>> get an icon in order to import citations.
>>
>> At what site(s)? Can you generate a report ID and a debug ID?
>
> This problem occurs on all sites, none display a Zotero save icon in
> the Firefox address bar. A selection would be:
> Library of Congress (http://catalog.loc.gov)
> Google books (http://books.google.com.au/)
> Melbourne University Library (http://cat.lib.unimelb.edu.au/)
> LaTrobe University Library (http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/)
>
> Report ID: 1215028378
> Debug ID: As Zotero is not invoked by Firefox there is no debug output
> to report.
> Running Zotero from the command line after enabling debug logging
> produces the following output.
> http://pastebin.com/91QdpQUn
>
> Is it possible that a previous installation of the Zotero Firefox
> plugin is causing a conflict even though it has been removed?
> Is it worth testing with an alternate Firefox profile?

For Zotero-in-Firefox to talk to Zotero Standalone and send it
citations, you need to install the Zotero 3.0 XPI -- Zotero 2.1 can't
do it, and Firefox can't talk to Standalone without Zotero installed.

> The Chromium extension seems to work fine though I did have an issue
> saving items from the Library of Congress. I would assume this is a
> translator issue though it did seem to save correctly.
>
> Debug ID: D664061157

This seems to confirm that the problem is just that you don't have a
connector installed for Firefox-- the standard Zotero XPI can switch
modes between full-fledged Zotero and connector. The latter is
relatively untested, but it looks like you just don't have it set up
at all.

Avram

Tim Hamilton

Aug 16, 2011, 7:41:51 AM8/16/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
> For Zotero-in-Firefox to talk to Zotero Standalone and send it
> citations, you need to install the Zotero 3.0 XPI -- Zotero 2.1 can't
> do it, and Firefox can't talk to Standalone without Zotero installed.>

> This seems to confirm that the problem is just that you don't have a

> connector installed for Firefox-- the standard Zotero XPI can switch
> modes between full-fledged Zotero and connector. The latter is
> relatively untested, but it looks like you just don't have it set up
> at all.
>
> Avram

That would be the issue, I must have misinterpreted Simon's original
post & was wondering why Firefox didn't require a connector.

After installing the Zotero 3.0 XPI adding bibliographic records to
fully-fledged Zotero in Firefox works correctly. And, with the Zotero
LibreOffice Integration for Firefox plugin adding citations to a
LibreOffice document works.

As a connector to Standalone, however, it seems a little buggy. Adding
a bibliographic records seems a little hit and miss. Major websites
seemed to work well though less well known sites did not work at all.

Some Tests & Results

Saving a record when 'My Library' selected in Zotero Standalone worked
with no errors.
Saving the same record when a sub-collection selected in Zotero
Standalone threw a 'Could Not Save' Item error & did not save the
record to the selected sub-collection. The record was still added
correctly to 'My Library'.
Google Books DebugID: D163554390.
Library of Congress DebugID: D1945613949.

Saving a record from either University of Melbourne or LaTrobe
University library catalogues resulted in a 'Could Not Save Error'
University of Melbourne DebugID: D1293906016
LaTrobe University DebugID: D1275161596

Hope some of this is useful.

Tim

Greg

Aug 16, 2011, 2:33:50 PM8/16/11
to zotero-dev
I have just installed Zotero Standalone for Mac OS X (on Lion) and
everything is working fine so far. It seems very slick, I have to say.
I am sure this will be a major push for Zotero! I will report back
when I encounter any problem.

Couple of remarks after the first five minutes:
- I noticed that Zotero Standalone is using 200 MB of RAM with the
completely library. Is that necessary?
- What's about zotero add-on? I think many rely on zotero quicklook,
zotfile and other plugins. How can I install them if they are
compatible? I am just saying that a short description would be helpful
for the public release.
(as a side note, I think the zotero add-ons could get a little more
love on the website. I know there is the list but that is somehow
hidden and only provides very basic information. Some plugins add
great functionality to zotero and I am sure most users never learn
about them - at least some should be advertised after clicking on
download at the new zotero webpage)
- I noticed that the colored tags are not part of the release. Are
they dropped?

On Aug 10, 8:12 pm, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
> Dear Zoterans,
>
> We are almost prepared to release our first beta of Zotero 3.0, available
> both as a Firefox extension and in standalone form, and we would appreciate
> some testing before a public release. New features include:
>
> - Completely rewritten connectors for Chrome and Safari, offering the
> ability to save items from many pages while Zotero Standalone is closed.
> - A connector for Firefox, automatically activated when Zotero Standalone is
> opened.
> - Duplicate detection.
> - Ability to store references in Word documents.
> - New, streamlined add citation dialog.
>
> Zotero 3.0b1 requires new word processor plug-ins and connectors. We are
> investigating ways to package everything as a single download, but this
> won't be ready in time for beta 1.
>
> Please note that these downloads are not intended for production use, and
> will not auto-update (or, in the case of the XPIs, will auto-update to
> future dev versions, but not to 3.0b1).
>
> Zotero for Firefox:https://www.zotero.org/download/dev/zotero-trunk.xpi
>
> Zotero Word for Mac Integration for Firefox:http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-trunk.xpi
> Zotero Word for Windows Integration for Firefox:http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-trunk.xpi
> Zotero LibreOffice Integration for Firefox:http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/Zotero-OpenOffice-Plugin-trunk.xpi
>
> Zotero Standalone for Windows:https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_setup.exe
> Zotero Standalone for Mac OS X:https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero.dmg
> Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86):https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_linux-i686....
> Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86-64):https://www.zotero.org/download/standalone/testing/Zotero_linux-x86_6...
> Zotero Connector for Safari:https://zotero.org/download/everywhere/safari/Zotero_Connector_dev.sa...
>
> Simon

Dan Stillman

Aug 17, 2011, 1:06:15 AM8/17/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 8/16/11 2:33 PM, Greg wrote:
> - I noticed that the colored tags are not part of the release. Are
> they dropped?

Nope. Just not finished. They'll be returning in a later beta.

Simon

Aug 18, 2011, 1:50:21 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
I've posted new pre-beta versions of Zotero 3.0b1 at the following locations:

Zotero for Firefox: http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/zotero-trunk.xpi
Zotero Standalone for Windows: http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_3.0b1pre.r10195.exe
Zotero Standalone for Mac OS X: http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_3.0b1pre.r10195.dmg
Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86): http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_3.0b1pre.r10195_linux-i686.tar.bz2
Zotero Standalone for Linux (x86-64): http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_3.0b1pre.r10195_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

pseudomorph, these should fix the issues you pointed out.

The newest Word plug-ins on http://zotero.org should be compatible. Further testing is very welcome.

Simon

Simon

Aug 18, 2011, 1:53:01 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Avram Lyon

Aug 18, 2011, 7:40:26 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
> Forgot the connectors:
>
> Zotero Connector for Chrome:
> http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_Connector_2.999.1pre.r10195.crx

When I try "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page" from Chrome, I get
nothing. No debug output in the connector, no error messages in the
console, nothing.

Saving using the address bar icons works fine (and feels like magic!).

Avram

Rintze Zelle

Aug 18, 2011, 9:43:15 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:19:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Stillman wrote:
On 8/11/11 1:13 PM, adamsmith wrote:
> I know you're mainly interested in testing, but I'd be curious about
> the status of the csl/zotero schema/item update that Avram, Rintze et
> al have been putting a lot of work into (i.e. can we at least get the
> mapping changes/fixes/additions?).

Not for the first beta, but we'll see what we can do for later betas.
Mappings are easy, but changed fields could require a lot of work if we
don't want to do a sync cut-off (and 3.0 doesn't yet require a DB
upgrade either), so those may get pushed back to the next major release.

 Dan, exactly what kind of changes require a DB upgrade? In our proposals, we have:

1) (Re)mapping existing Zotero fields to (new) CSL variables
2) Adding existing Zotero fields to existing item types
3) Adding new Zotero fields to existing item types
4) Migrating Zotero fields to existing Zotero fields (e.g. from "page" to "numPages")
5) Migrating Zotero fields to new Zotero fields (e.g. from "place" to "eventPlace" or "publisherPlace")
6) Adding new item types

Rintze

Simon

Aug 18, 2011, 11:38:52 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:40:26 AM UTC-4, Avram Lyon wrote:
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
> Forgot the connectors:
>
> Zotero Connector for Chrome:
> http://download.zotero.org/Zotero_Connector_2.999.1pre.r10195.crx

When I try "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page" from Chrome, I get
nothing. No debug output in the connector, no error messages in the
console, nothing.

Avram, can you reproduce this behavior on a new page? The "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page" option will fail without error on pages that were open before the extension was installed, but it works fine for me otherwise.

Simon

Rintze Zelle

Aug 18, 2011, 11:40:24 AM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:50:21 AM UTC-4, Simon wrote:
I've posted new pre-beta versions of Zotero 3.0b1 at the following locations:

Zotero for Firefox: http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/zotero-trunk.xpi

Just a nitpick: there is now a dropdown menu above the center column, with options "All Fields" (default), "Titles & Creators" and "Everything". What's the difference between "All Fields" and "Everything"? Tags? Note content? Indexed PDFs?

Rintze

Avram Lyon

Aug 18, 2011, 2:45:07 PM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Simon <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
>> When I try "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page" from Chrome, I get
>> nothing. No debug output in the connector, no error messages in the
>> console, nothing.
>
> Avram, can you reproduce this behavior on a new page? The "Save Zotero
> Snapshot from Current Page" option will fail without error on pages that
> were open before the extension was installed, but it works fine for me
> otherwise.

That explains it. The smooth restartless installation of the Chrome
extension made it easy to forget that I hadn't even reloaded the
pages. Works now; thanks!

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 18, 2011, 3:12:23 PM8/18/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

Dan Stillman

Aug 19, 2011, 3:11:20 AM8/19/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
2–6 would require a DB upgrade and a sync cut-off. Making those unnecessary is our eventual goal, but it will be a significant undertaking.

Avram Lyon

Aug 19, 2011, 3:26:21 AM8/19/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Dan Stillman <dsti...@zotero.org> wrote:
[..]

> 1) (Re)mapping existing Zotero fields to (new) CSL variables
> 2) Adding existing Zotero fields to existing item types
> 3) Adding new Zotero fields to existing item types
> 4) Migrating Zotero fields to existing Zotero fields (e.g. from "page" to
> "numPages")
> 5) Migrating Zotero fields to new Zotero fields (e.g. from "place" to
> "eventPlace" or "publisherPlace")
> 6) Adding new item types
>
> 2–6 would require a DB upgrade and a sync cut-off. Making those unnecessary
> is our eventual goal, but it will be a significant undertaking.

Zotero 3.0 is a huge release, for which a database upgrade and sync
cut-off are not unreasonable. These changes have been under
consideration for the better part of a year, and they are now a fairly
stable lot. Making these carefully considered changes is a big part of
demonstrating once again that Zotero is seriously dedicated to the
basic research needs of its users, even as it pursues great new
features like the web interface and standalone. The solid scholarly
underpinnings of Zotero distinguish it from the competition, and
refinement on that front is at least as important as the grant-funded
innovation that Zotero 3.0 also brings.

The biggest shortcoming of Mendeley, as was poignantly pointed out by
a would-be switcher on Twitter, is that they're not focused on the
essential minutiae of scholarship:
http://twitter.com/#!/jonnycollege/status/104395453650567169 and
http://twitter.com/#!/jonnycollege/status/104396470534422529

I know it's a huge decision to cut off syncing, and every database
upgrade is a little scary (I know I always have this little fear that
somehow the whole thing will be corrupted), but these changes matter a
whole lot to a lot of people.

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 19, 2011, 4:20:04 AM8/19/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 8/19/11 3:26 AM, Avram Lyon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Dan Stillman<dsti...@zotero.org> wrote:
> [..]
>> 1) (Re)mapping existing Zotero fields to (new) CSL variables
>> 2) Adding existing Zotero fields to existing item types
>> 3) Adding new Zotero fields to existing item types
>> 4) Migrating Zotero fields to existing Zotero fields (e.g. from "page" to
>> "numPages")
>> 5) Migrating Zotero fields to new Zotero fields (e.g. from "place" to
>> "eventPlace" or "publisherPlace")
>> 6) Adding new item types
>>
>> 2�6 would require a DB upgrade and a sync cut-off. Making those unnecessary

>> is our eventual goal, but it will be a significant undertaking.
> Zotero 3.0 is a huge release, for which a database upgrade and sync
> cut-off are not unreasonable. These changes have been under
> consideration for the better part of a year, and they are now a fairly
> stable lot. Making these carefully considered changes is a big part of
> demonstrating once again that Zotero is seriously dedicated to the
> basic research needs of its users, even as it pursues great new
> features like the web interface and standalone. The solid scholarly
> underpinnings of Zotero distinguish it from the competition, and
> refinement on that front is at least as important as the grant-funded
> innovation that Zotero 3.0 also brings.
>
> The biggest shortcoming of Mendeley, as was poignantly pointed out by
> a would-be switcher on Twitter, is that they're not focused on the
> essential minutiae of scholarship:
> http://twitter.com/#!/jonnycollege/status/104395453650567169 and
> http://twitter.com/#!/jonnycollege/status/104396470534422529
>
> I know it's a huge decision to cut off syncing, and every database
> upgrade is a little scary (I know I always have this little fear that
> somehow the whole thing will be corrupted), but these changes matter a
> whole lot to a lot of people.

Entirely fair, but "the next major release" doesn't have to mean a year
from now, and I don't think there's any reason to greatly delay getting
the current 3.0 code, which is relatively stable, into users' hands
going into the school year. And I think we're well beyond the point
where a complete sync cut-off is even an option (and it would be
completely untenable paired with a beta period of any length).

What I think we should do is branch 3.0 soon, get a final out as soon as
possible, and then implement per-library syncing on the trunk, which
I've wanted to do for a while anyway. Among other benefits, that could
let us make schema changes and allow users to essentially upgrade server
libraries independently, with a prompt before syncing each one the first
time with the new version. Dealing with group libraries would still be
tricky�who gets to decide when a group gets updated?�but even if any
member who made changes to a group could update it, the worst that would
happen is that users who didn't upgrade wouldn't be able to sync that
library. Any libraries that hadn't been used with the new version,
including personal libraries, would continue to sync with older versions.

Avram Lyon

Aug 19, 2011, 4:34:54 AM8/19/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Dan Stillman <dsti...@zotero.org> wrote:
> On 8/19/11 3:26 AM, Avram Lyon wrote:
>> Zotero 3.0 is a huge release, for which a database upgrade and sync
>> cut-off are not unreasonable. These changes have been under
>> consideration for the better part of a year, and they are now a fairly
>> stable lot. Making these carefully considered changes is a big part [..]

>> I know it's a huge decision to cut off syncing, and every database
>> upgrade is a little scary (I know I always have this little fear that
>> somehow the whole thing will be corrupted), but these changes matter a
>> whole lot to a lot of people.
>
> Entirely fair, but "the next major release" doesn't have to mean a year from
> now, and I don't think there's any reason to greatly delay getting the
> current 3.0 code, which is relatively stable, into users' hands going into
> the school year. And I think we're well beyond the point where a complete
> sync cut-off is even an option (and it would be completely untenable paired
> with a beta period of any length).
>
> What I think we should do is branch 3.0 soon, get a final out as soon as
> possible, and then implement per-library syncing on the trunk, which I've
> wanted to do for a while anyway. Among other benefits, that could let us
> make schema changes and allow users to essentially upgrade server libraries
> independently, with a prompt before syncing each one the first time with the
> new version. Dealing with group libraries would still be tricky—who gets to
> decide when a group gets updated?—but even if any member who made changes to

> a group could update it, the worst that would happen is that users who
> didn't upgrade wouldn't be able to sync that library. Any libraries that
> hadn't been used with the new version, including personal libraries, would
> continue to sync with older versions.

This sounds good, especially since per-library syncing could be rolled
out as 3.1 without necessarily waiting for a large number of
additional features. That would also open the way for the eventual
merger of the multilingual branch with its associated significant
schema revisions.

Mainly, though, we need to make sure that these changes are on the
short-to-medium-term roadmap. Because they matter a lot.

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 21, 2011, 4:36:58 AM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, just full-text content�I forgot we added tags and note content to
"All Fields" when we changed that to the default.

Kithairon

Aug 21, 2011, 4:12:39 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Tested the new "Attach Link to URI"-function. Adding a link address of the type "x-devonthink-item://37EA8271-DA40-4A24-BBE7-D06F07823BCE" does not produce any visible results in the Zotero item I tried to attach the link to. There are similar requests in the forum for a number of protocols from different apps. See ajlyon's request at towards the end of this thread.
Kithairon

Avram Lyon

Aug 21, 2011, 10:26:43 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

The relevant ticket is here: https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1563

I'm also hoping to hear some more reasoning as to why the feature
should be limited to HTTP and HTTPS, or to the other protocols being
added.

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 21, 2011, 10:35:04 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Blacklisting a few schemes (data:, javascript:) might be fine. The main
consideration is that these could be synced, so we don't want to allow
anything that could be used as an attack vector.

Avram Lyon

Aug 21, 2011, 10:48:54 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

I'm also a bit worried about this in terms of increased attack service
too, so I think I'm leaning towards white-listing, or a hard-coded
blacklist in combination with a whitelist in a hidden preference. No
known feature would currently cause Zotero to request any of these
URIs without user action, but a double-click on an item in a group (or
personal, of course) library shouldn't run the risk of launching
unexpected local applications, which may have unexpected security
holes of their own.

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 21, 2011, 10:52:24 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I agree. Blacklist + a user-configurable whitelist�empty by
default, I think�seems like a good idea.

Avram Lyon

Aug 21, 2011, 11:06:33 PM8/21/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
> Yeah, I agree. Blacklist + a user-configurable whitelist—empty by default, I
> think—seems like a good idea.

So what happens when a user has a link attachment that uses a scheme
not in the local Zotero client's whitelist? Do we suppress the
attachment? Prevent the link from being opened? If we're aiming to be
careful here, I suppose we could prevent it from being opened and
display a message that directs the user to a support page with
information on URI schemes, how to specify the whitelist, and the
security implications.

This will need to be considered for the server-side write API when the
time comes as well.

Avram

Dan Stillman

Aug 22, 2011, 12:31:04 AM8/22/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 8/21/11 11:06 PM, Avram Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Dan Stillman<dsti...@zotero.org> wrote:
>> On 8/21/11 10:48 PM, Avram Lyon wrote:

>>> I'm also a bit worried about this in terms of increased attack service
>>> too, so I think I'm leaning towards white-listing, or a hard-coded
>>> blacklist in combination with a whitelist in a hidden preference. No
>>> known feature would currently cause Zotero to request any of these
>>> URIs without user action, but a double-click on an item in a group (or
>>> personal, of course) library shouldn't run the risk of launching
>>> unexpected local applications, which may have unexpected security
>>> holes of their own.
>> Yeah, I agree. Blacklist + a user-configurable whitelist�empty by default, I
>> think�seems like a good idea.

> So what happens when a user has a link attachment that uses a scheme
> not in the local Zotero client's whitelist? Do we suppress the
> attachment? Prevent the link from being opened? If we're aiming to be
> careful here, I suppose we could prevent it from being opened and
> display a message that directs the user to a support page with
> information on URI schemes, how to specify the whitelist, and the
> security implications.

Actually, we can probably let Firefox handle this. Opening a new
protocol via loadURI() as we already do should display a security
warning to the user�"An external application must be launched to handle
[scheme] links."�with an option to whitelist the scheme permanently.

It's possible, however, that we should be calling
externalProtocolHandlerExists() before attempting loadURI(). Not sure
would happen right now if an unsupported scheme was passed.

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/NsIExternalProtocolService

Dan Stillman

Aug 22, 2011, 12:37:54 AM8/22/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 8/21/11 10:35 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
> Blacklisting a few schemes (data:, javascript:) might be fine.

Looks like we're already preventing these from being called in
ZoteroPane.loadURI(). Might as well prevent them from being added
through the client, though.

Also, there's a regexp for Standalone in ZoteroPane.loadURI() that might
need to be tweaked for this.

Rintze Zelle

Aug 22, 2011, 10:01:26 AM8/22/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

In that case, there is only one mapping request: https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/3

There are a few others that depend on the addition of new CSL variables, but we should probably wait with mapping those fields until the variables appear in CSL 1.0.1.

Rintze

Rintze Zelle

Aug 22, 2011, 10:51:42 AM8/22/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
If that is the case, can the options be changed to:

"Title & Creator Fields"
"All Fields, Tags & Notes"
"All Fields, Tags, Notes & PDFs"

?

I find the current options very confusing.

Rintze