agent based simulation

gavin palmer

Jul 8, 2011, 3:16:22 PM7/8/11
to Global Dev Team
http://sugarscape.sourceforge.net/

I am wondering if the development of agent based simulations can help
us be proactive. We might use simulations to arrive at policies and
proposals that should hypothetically lead toward a certain outcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_economics#External_links
http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/aexper.htm

David McKee

Jul 9, 2011, 11:48:58 AM7/9/11
to Global Dev Team
I think you are going to have to elaborate a little more; there is a
lot of reading there that not all of us have time for. Can you explain
how you think this might help, in layman's terms?

gavin palmer

Jul 9, 2011, 2:56:46 PM7/9/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
In general - simulation allows you to arrive at information in an experimental way.  And simulation can be more effective and efficient than real world experimentation.

I am sure there are some minds out there - that can fathom the possibility of using simulation to be proactive.  I only mention this project in case there are any people who are interested.

Jon-br

Jul 10, 2011, 4:34:27 PM7/10/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin,

I'm interested in Agents Simulation and Machine Learning (neural networks, precisely).

I would like to see your project describe on the following website: http://atrium.zmdev.net/
It's supposed to be the best place to spread your ideas and projects.

I'm a little busy on this month, but I'll be glad to talk with you about artificial intelligence and how can we use that in ZM projects!

Regards,

Nick Polimeni

Jul 11, 2011, 2:53:56 AM7/11/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Writing a more clear article in the atrium site would be a good idea.

gavin palmer

Jul 11, 2011, 9:18:16 AM7/11/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I only read about 50 pages or so.  It seems that these people are economists with the intent of forecasting current economic dynamics.  Whereas we would be interested in doing a little bit more - like forecasting the effects of technology and policy: experimental economics.

I am busy as well.  So I am merely pointing at this area of interest - for others who might take the lead.  I will definitely get into this stuff eventually - but that might be a month or more down the road.

I don't know if this agent based simulation could be merged with concepts related to neural networks.  Agent based simulation seems like a more advanced form of cellular automata.

Thank you for linking the atrium website.  We should begin linking to that website (instead of the redmine PM?).  We need to funnel people to the right website!

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Nick Polimeni <npol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Writing a more clear article in the atrium site would be a good idea.

Nick Polimeni

Jul 14, 2011, 3:09:21 AM7/14/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
System Dynamics is the discipline used for that type of simulation and prediction, and any number of scenarios can be created... and compared to each other and real life.