Yubnub down

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 13, 2012, 11:11:54 PM8/13/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Really sorry about the Yubnub outage. The server ("pendrell") is down on my web host. I'm keeping an eye on Joyent's status blog: https://help.joyent.com/home

Jonathan

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 15, 2012, 12:14:37 AM8/15/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sorry guys. Web host's server is still down - it is very sucky. Status updates at https://help.joyent.com/entries/21854886-pendrell-textdrive-com

Jonathan

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Kaishi Axon <kaish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the status update.  I miss yubnub so much right now.

Nic

Aug 15, 2012, 1:52:22 PM8/15/12
to YubNub
I also use and miss Yubnub. You should consider a tip jar if it will
help you cover the hosting expenses (even maybe at a better hosting
service?). I would kick in a few dollars.

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 15, 2012, 11:31:10 PM8/15/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, all. Gosh, it's been down for a while. Joyent is still working on bringing things back up - cross your fingers.

Jonathan

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Seth Frey <mocto...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just joined the group to add my "Ditto" to all the gushing about yubnub's greatness and personally under-recognized importance. I now appreciate how deeply my unconscious habits and muscle memory assume the existence of your service.
seth.

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:51:26 AM UTC-4, YubnubRules wrote:
This. Exactly this.
11 years since Google groups took over usenet and I've never posted a message. But I had to post to say this. I must have used yubnub at least 20 times a day (probably sometimes over 100 times) for the last 5 years. Every browser, every platform, every phone I've had. Having it suddenly disappear makes me realise that I am almost as dependent on yubnub as on google itself. I'm embarrassed that I never thanked you before. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:49:07 AM UTC+8, Mathias Hellquist wrote:
I just wanted to take the opportunity to say "thanks for an awesome service", the downtime has made me realize how much I have depended on Yubnub over the last few years. Excellent excellent service. Thanks for Yubnub, lets hope it gets back up again soon. :)

/mathias

Message has been deleted

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 17, 2012, 12:27:20 AM8/17/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks all. The web host (Joyent) is still working on it. The server machine is up, but they need to figure out some lighttpd issues.

Jonathan

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Eric Miller <nashv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great to hear it's being worked on. Yubnub has saved me so much time. It's a great micro-optimization for everything I do online.

Nathan Rein

Aug 17, 2012, 8:45:57 AM8/17/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it. I saw this rather agonizing thread about Joyent killing some classes of lifetime hosting accounts and was afraid that Yubnub might be affected.

Anthony Lieuallen

Aug 19, 2012, 10:24:13 PM8/19/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
TL;DR: This weekend I hacked together a site to cure my yubnub withdrawal, feel free to give it a shot: https://multiseek.net/

First: Jonathan, I got YubNub data in a scrape effort a while back, and got some more recently by scraping archive.org, for stuff I missed a while ago.  But that doesn't make it mine to use like this.  If you have any objection to me hosting it like this, just say so and it will be gone.

That said: I've had ideas for a while to build something like YubNub, but more wiki-like (so edits/fixes can go through without the site admin's intervention).  In fact, before I even started using YubNub, I built my own (MultiSeek, as linked above) but it was purely hard-coded for my own purposes.  About a year ago I stopped using it because YubNub was just too much better.  So I already had the domain.

But now YubNub is down.  And I'm going through withdrawal.  So this weekend I hacked together some code to just handle the scraped command data I had.  (I gathered it, mostly, a while ago to help me learn about what all the commands are, especially the fancy ones.  And to consider what features I might have missed, if I were to build my own replacement.)  I've only tested it with a few of the key commands I use, but I /believe/ it supports all the syntax.  It's purely read-only on the set of data I already have.  Both the version I got live, and the additional stuff I got from archive.org this weekend, is about a year old (specifically, some from Nov and some from ~Jun last year), so if you've created things recently they won't be there.  But it's a lot better than nothing.

AFAIK nothing is logged (except perhaps server errors), and it's served over HTTPS.  But this is a purely personal project and I offer no guarantees nor warranties of any kind.

Kaishi Axon

Aug 20, 2012, 9:52:55 AM8/20/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  Unfortunately, your SSL cert is being blocked in one of my environments, so I can't take full advantage of your site.

Jonathan Aquino: Is now a good time for us to propose some simple upgrades to YubNub?  For example, would it be possible to integrate any sort of community features?  I know that the commands are publicly editable, but I'd love to see a way for the community to self-police the command list to eliminate the spammy ones.

Also, I'd like to see an updated page for the installation methods.  Some of the methods described there are no longer relevant.  Newer methods exist but haven't been documented.  I would be happy to contribute some documentation :)

Anthony Lieuallen

Aug 20, 2012, 9:58:05 AM8/20/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Kaishi Axon <kaish...@gmail.com> wrote:
I appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  Unfortunately, your SSL cert is being blocked in one of my environments, so I can't take full advantage of your site.

It's a startcom certificate, add their CA to your trusted roots list (this is already the case for Firefox and Chrome and AFAIK IE, by default): http://cert.startcom.org/

Kaishi Axon

Aug 20, 2012, 10:25:39 AM8/20/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Sorry mate, large organization, can't append root CAs without tons of paperwork.  Thanks for the information, though.

Brian Armknecht

Aug 20, 2012, 9:10:19 PM8/20/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Anthony!

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 21, 2012, 12:36:21 AM8/21/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Sorry about this. The issue now is that lighttpd is giving us errors like the following. Joyent is advising me to consider switching from lighttpd to another web server, like Mongrel. Unfortunately I don't have much time to look into this after work. So I am asking them if they can do it for me. Anyway, we shall see.

2012-08-16 21:51:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.3329) response not received, request sent: 889 on socket: unix:/tmp/yubnublighttpd-fcgi.socket-6 for /dispatch.fcgi?, closing connection
2012-08-16 21:51:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.1732) connect failed: Connection refused on unix:/tmp/yubnublighttpd-fcgi.socket-7
2012-08-16 21:51:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.3002) backend died; we'll disable it for 1 seconds and send the request to another backend instead: reconnects: 0 load: 2
2012-08-16 21:51:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.1732) connect failed: Connection refused on unix:/tmp/yubnublighttpd-fcgi.socket-6
2012-08-16 21:51:37: (mod_fastcgi.c.3002) backend died; we'll disable it for 1 seconds and send the request to another backend instead: reconnects: 0 load: 3

Jonathan

Thanks, Anthony!

Anthony Lieuallen

Aug 21, 2012, 2:35:15 AM8/21/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Do you have shell access to this machine?  What happens if you try to run dispatch.fcgi there?  (It should give some ominous FCGI errors, and then the response for the default page -- if not it will probably give some errors about what's really wrong.)

That said, if you are sanctioning my site as a temporary replacement, I'd accept and load some newer data than what I managed to pull together, assuming you have access to that, for the meantime.  Feel free to mail me on or off list.

Jamie Wilkinson

Aug 21, 2012, 11:03:51 AM8/21/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised it hasn't been offered already, but I'd be delighted to help upgrade YubNub's code to a more modern Rails and/or new hosting, like Heroku.

Or at the least, a place where we can donate – some way to show our appreciation beyond just words!

Thanks for running and maintaining YubNub all these years, Jonathan, it's really supremely useful.

-jamiew
http://jamiedubs.com

On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Jacques Marneweck <jmarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> No joy from that ancient version of rails. I think it's best that the ancient relic of a rails release it is vendored to gets upgraded onto 3.2.8 at some point. I'm also fighting with my old rails apps on pendrell to get them backup.
>
> Regards
> --jm

Jacques Marneweck

Aug 22, 2012, 1:23:34 PM8/22/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
And YubNub is back on pendrell with lighttpd reverse proxying to some mongrels.  I'll fix the startup scripts to start the mongrel cluster on reboot.

Regards
--jm

Jonathan Aquino

Aug 22, 2012, 1:25:20 PM8/22/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thanks very much Jacques!!!

Jon

Jacques Marneweck

Aug 22, 2012, 1:35:44 PM8/22/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome.  I've sent some notes on the support ticket as to what I changed in the process.

Brian Armknecht

Aug 22, 2012, 2:07:58 PM8/22/12
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!  Thanks, Jacques!