Customize for PXE

Phillip Smith

May 3, 2012, 9:46:12 PM5/3/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I want to pay for a customized webconverger  but the current system appears to rely on the customized image being able to connect to the internet to get it's customizations?

We need to use webc on an internal, isolated network (with manufacturing machinery) to display a private web-based touch-screen production tracking system.

The customization I need are:
1) Boot from our PXE server
2) Custom homepage
3) Automatic fullscreen
4) No audio/wireless/flash/pdf etc

I originally planned to do it myself and make a donation back to webc once I was successful, but I haven't been (entirely) successful. I've managed to get Item's 1, 2 and 3 working just using boot options, but it is EXTREMELY slow to boot for some reason (approaching 10 minutes). I haven't been successful in making my own ISO :(

Thanks,
~p

Kai Hendry

May 3, 2012, 10:32:29 PM5/3/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, sa...@webconverger.com
Hi there Phillip,

On 4 May 2012 09:46, Phillip Smith <fuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to pay for a customized webconverger  but the current system appears
> to rely on the customized image being able to connect to the internet to get
> it's customizations?

That's correct, by default we are pushing the "cloud" product. Which
makes sense for us and our clients for several reasons, like being
easier to upgrade and support.

Though we are working on an "Enterprise product" & licensing for
private networks. Please email sales with the seats and details so we
can quote you.

> We need to use webc on an internal, isolated network (with manufacturing
> machinery) to display a private web-based touch-screen production tracking
> system.
>
> The customization I need are:
> 1) Boot from our PXE server

Are you aware of http://webconverger.org/pxeboot ?

Tbh I prefer you go for the USB stick route as PXE booting in my experience:
1) Kill networks (you need a decent network setup)
2) Introduces another single point of failure

Though my colleagues may disagree. ;)

> 2) Custom homepage
> 3) Automatic fullscreen

That comes by default

> 4) No audio/wireless/flash/pdf etc

That would need some extra tweaking. Is there a particular reason this
needs to be disabled, or are you just trying to reduce bloat? An
amicable goal btw.

> I originally planned to do it myself and make a donation back to webc once I
> was successful, but I haven't been (entirely) successful. I've managed to
> get Item's 1, 2 and 3 working just using boot options, but it is EXTREMELY
> slow to boot for some reason (approaching 10 minutes). I haven't been
> successful in making my own ISO :(

Be good to know what's the issue with creating an ISO. Idea here we
want to make Webconverger hackable so people contribute and validate
it.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues

For further commercial support discussions, lets please move the
discussion to sa...@webconverger.com and not the list, which is more
for community support and discussing specific issues.

Kind regards,

Phillip Smith

May 4, 2012, 12:21:02 AM5/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 4 May 2012 12:32, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:

Though we are working on an "Enterprise product" & licensing for
private networks. Please email sales with the seats and details so we
can quote you.

Will do :)

Are you aware of http://webconverger.org/pxeboot ?

Tbh I prefer you go for the USB stick route as PXE booting in my experience:
1) Kill networks (you need a decent network setup)
2) Introduces another single point of failure

Though my colleagues may disagree. ;)

Yes, 1) isn't a problem (all clients are on a 100mb switched network) and 2) is an acceptable risk.

That would need some extra tweaking. Is there a particular reason this
needs to be disabled, or are you just trying to reduce bloat? An
amicable goal btw.

Just to reduce bloat (hopefully boot faster than what I currently see)

Be good to know what's the issue with creating an ISO. Idea here we
want to make Webconverger hackable so people contribute and validate
it.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues

I never got to finish trying to get this going as my desktop died in a spectacular fashion and I fell behind in other work while I was fixing that :(