respawning too fast

Phillip Smith

Apr 3, 2012, 6:58:11 PM4/3/12
to Webconverger Users
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, but any build I make results in
init complaining that everything is "respawning too fast; disabled for
5 minutes"

INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "X1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I have even tried with a completely clean tree as cloned from Github.
I am booting in a Virtualbox VM to test. The official 12.2 build works
fine in the same VM.

Seems it may be related to what I see on the other TTY's (2 to 6):
Unable to cd to '/home/webc'
(Repeated 10 times)

Building on my Debain desktop, 6.0.3 with live_build installed from
unstable (3.0~a45-1)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Kai Hendry

Apr 3, 2012, 9:10:34 PM4/3/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phillip,

I suspect it's because the git clone of the rootfs wasn't done as
root. Things go awry if it's in your own user.

Follow this guide: http://webconverger.org/chroot/
Run as root

Let me know how it goes,

Phillip Smith

Apr 3, 2012, 9:19:03 PM4/3/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 4 April 2012 11:10, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:

Follow this guide: http://webconverger.org/chroot/
Run as root

Thanks Kai; of all the pages I looked at, somehow I seem to have missed that one..!

debootstrap is running now, I'll let you know if I have any other problems :)

Cheers,
~p

Kai Hendry

Apr 3, 2012, 9:54:45 PM4/3/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 4 April 2012 09:19, Phillip Smith <fuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Kai; of all the pages I looked at, somehow I seem to have missed that
> one..!

Sorry, I should have properly linked it like I have done now:
http://source.webconverger-org.branchable.com/?p=source.git;a=blobdiff;f=develop.mdwn;h=21be9ac101b6d8528ceff66a085e1f77b3ce2de3;hp=c7fa8af488c8b8c484a493a6af94326223fd6172;hb=3b227adae4416a8aa4eb7ceaa5ef225e1f262ef0;hpb=300fbb5ee66e551fa907def85692681ab2f146c9

Please contribute back to improve Webconverger. Many thanks,

Phillip Smith

Apr 4, 2012, 9:49:46 PM4/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 4 April 2012 11:10, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:

Follow this guide: http://webconverger.org/chroot/
Run as root

Hi Kai,

Unfortunately I'm getting identical problems after following that page

# On my Debian desktop:
sudo chroot sid-root /bin/bash

# Now I'm in the chroot:
apt-get install live-build squashfs-tools git make sudo syslinux genisoimage
cd Debian-Live-config/webconverger/
make

# make died with errors about missing directories; I created them manually:
mkdir -p chroot/var/cache/apt/archives/
mkdir -p chroot/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/

After that the build succeeded OK, but can't boot the resulting ISO image. Same result with and without my local changes.

Patrick Haller

Apr 4, 2012, 9:58:49 PM4/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phillip,

How far do you get in the boot process when adding the 'debug' and
removing 'splash' boot options?

Thanks,
Patrick

On 2012-04-05 11:49, Phillip Smith wrote:
> On 4 April 2012 11:10, Kai Hendry <[1]hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:
>
> Follow this guide: [2]http://webconverger.org/chroot/

> Run as root
>
> Hi Kai,
> Unfortunately I'm getting identical problems after following that page
> # On my Debian desktop:

> debootstrap sid sid-root [3]http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian

> sudo chroot sid-root /bin/bash
> # Now I'm in the chroot:
> apt-get install live-build squashfs-tools git make sudo syslinux
> genisoimage

> git clone [4]https://github.com/Webconverger/Debian-Live-config

> cd Debian-Live-config/webconverger/
> make
> # make died with errors about missing directories; I created them
> manually:
> mkdir -p chroot/var/cache/apt/archives/
> mkdir -p chroot/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/
> After that the build succeeded OK, but can't boot the resulting ISO
> image. Same result with and without my local changes.
>

> --
>
> References
>
> 1. mailto:hen...@webconverger.com
> 2. http://webconverger.org/chroot/
> 3. http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian
> 4. https://github.com/Webconverger/Debian-Live-config

Phillip Smith

Apr 4, 2012, 10:01:55 PM4/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 5 April 2012 11:58, Patrick Haller <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:

How far do you get in the boot process when adding the 'debug' and
removing 'splash' boot options?

Hi Patrick,
Here is a screenshot of what you asked for (can't copy-paste from vbox terminal :( )

Patrick Haller

Apr 4, 2012, 10:08:28 PM4/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
In your chroot, can you run the following:

ls -al /bin/su

It should look like:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 27108 2009-11-14 22:41 /bin/su

where it's root-owned and setuid root.

If that's fine, next is to boot with 'debug 1' boot options and paste us
your /var/log/syslog

Patrick

On 2012-04-05 12:01, Phillip Smith wrote:
> On 5 April 2012 11:58, Patrick Haller <[1]patrick...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> How far do you get in the boot process when adding the 'debug' and
> removing 'splash' boot options?
>
> Hi Patrick,
> Here is a screenshot of what you asked for (can't copy-paste from vbox
> terminal :( )

> [2]http://i.imgur.com/sTrvY.png

> --
>
> References
>

> 1. mailto:patrick...@gmail.com
> 2. http://i.imgur.com/sTrvY.png

Phillip Smith

Apr 4, 2012, 10:46:41 PM4/4/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 5 April 2012 12:08, Patrick Haller <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
In your chroot, can you run the following:

ls -al /bin/su

It should look like:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 27108 2009-11-14 22:41 /bin/su

The permissions and ownership on that match; the size is different though:
root@phil-desktop:/# ls -al /bin/su
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 40000 Feb 13 10:52 /bin/su

 If that's fine, next is to boot with 'debug 1' boot options and paste us
your /var/log/syslog

There is no /var/log/syslog; only boot, dmesg and live.log

Patrick Haller

Apr 5, 2012, 1:48:10 AM4/5/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Does /etc/passwd have a user 'webc', uid 1000?

Also, depending on where it fails, you'll have various files in
/home/webc/.xerrors.*
which will have all the X11 related errors.

Patrick

On 2012-04-05 12:46, Phillip Smith wrote:
> On 5 April 2012 12:08, Patrick Haller <[1]patrick...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> In your chroot, can you run the following:
> ls -al /bin/su
> It should look like:
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 27108 2009-11-14 22:41 /bin/su
>
> The permissions and ownership on that match; the size is different
> though:
> root@phil-desktop:/# ls -al /bin/su
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 40000 Feb 13 10:52 /bin/su
>
> If that's fine, next is to boot with 'debug 1' boot options and
> paste us
> your /var/log/syslog
>
> There is no /var/log/syslog; only boot, dmesg and live.log

> live.log: [2]http://pastebin.com/SDyUgHny
> dmesg: [3]http://pastebin.com/XLBVdL1B
> boot: [4]http://pastebin.com/8kz5RXnS

> --
>
> References
>
> 1. mailto:patrick...@gmail.com

> 2. http://pastebin.com/SDyUgHny
> 3. http://pastebin.com/XLBVdL1B
> 4. http://pastebin.com/8kz5RXnS

Phillip Smith

Apr 5, 2012, 1:51:59 AM4/5/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 5 April 2012 15:48, Patrick Haller <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does /etc/passwd have a user 'webc', uid 1000?

Yes.

Also, depending on where it fails, you'll have various files in
/home/webc/.xerrors.*
which will have all the X11 related errors.

We don't get to the startx part when booting to single user, so those files aren't there. Changing from single user to init 2:

INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
<network link goes up and down for some reason>
"tty_ldisc_hangup: waiting (init) for tty1 took too long, but we keep waiting...."

Patrick Haller

Apr 5, 2012, 2:12:40 AM4/5/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Best bet here is to boot to runlevel 1, edit /etc/passwd, set root to:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

telinit 2, see X1 fail again, and log in to the second tty via CTRL-ALT-F2

When you run the commands in /etc/webc/startx.sh without the output
redirection, what do you get?

Patrick