Re: Digest for vigorous-hikers@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Reed Bumgarner

Dec 9, 2012, 3:56:56 PM12/9/12
to vigorou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob
I’m interested in the PCT.
Reed

Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:03 AM
Subject: Digest for vigorou...@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/vigorous-hikers/topics

    "robert livezey" <bobb...@msn.com> Dec 08 02:25PM -0500

    All,

    Many of you know I'm planning 3 trips for the coming backpacking season. For very practical reasons I need to limit the size of the each group, for 2 substantially. I've already reached that limit for Corsica/GR20 and Alps/Tour de Mont Blanc, but I'm listing them below just in case you would be a definite participant if someone drops out, i.e. a serious first or second alternate. For the third, the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington, several more can easily be accommodated. So look these over and let me know (if I haven't already heard from you) if you are seriously interested in any of them.

    In all cases we will do the treks independently (ie no guides). The listed dates on the trail are very close to final. For GR20 and TMB I'm planning on a deliberate pace of 1 recommended stage/day, but doing the entire walks (with the exception of GR20 Stage 15). Thus, the mileages are reasonable, especially considering lighter packs are possible in both cases. This approach worked well for Dave, David and Bart on GR20; they arrived in camp early enough to get bunks and meals without reservations every night and Dave had plenty of time to try to bag peaks.

    For PCT/Washington the plan is to average 12- 13 miles/day, which should not be difficult. Rick and I averaged 12.5 miles/day in the section to the south under VERY adverse conditions. When the trail is snow-free (and I expect it to be for this plan and year), it is smooth going.

    So here they are, with minimal detail:

    GR20/Corsica: About 105 miles, south to north via high variants in 14 days with 1 additional day to climb Monte Cinto. Middle June for trip and travel and some optional sightseeing, on trail June 7-21. Allow 19 days for trip and travel, more for optional sightseeing. Lots of services and warm, so relatively light packs. Limit of 4.

    PCT/Washington: About 130 miles, from Walupt Lake to I90 (south to north) to include Goat Rocks, William O. Douglas, and Norse Peaks Wildernesses in 10-11 days. On trail August 14-24, allow 2 additional days for travel. Rarely a service (a wilderness trip, at least one resupply available), so full packs. Up to 8.

    TMB: About 110 miles, counterclockwise, in 11 days. Mid-September, on trail Sept. 10-20. Allow 15 days for trip and travel, more for optional sightseeing. Lots of services, so relatively light packs. Limit of 4.

    I'm happy to answer any questions. More details will follow after I've heard back from you. All trips are "go" right now.

    Cheers,

    Bob

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group vigorous-hikers.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

You are subscribed to the "Vigorous Hikers" email group. Information on the weekly Tuesday hikes and any updates are sent to this group by the hike leaders every week. If you need further information, a response to a message will go to the hike leader who will get back to you. Additional information about our group and our Hike Schedule of future hikes is at http://vigoroushikers.org/.

Reed Bumgarner

Dec 9, 2012, 8:19:44 PM12/9/12
to vigorou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

I am possibly interested depending on school schedule, etc.

Reed

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 6:58 AM

    Dave Green <dkgr...@hotmail.com> Nov 30 01:02AM -0500

    Steve Brown, Jen Sokolower, John Watson-Jones, Mandy Shaver, and I are planning a multi-day trek into the backcountry to climb four trailess peaks - Seward, Donaldson, Emmons, and Seymour. If anyone else wants to join us, let me know and I'll provide more details.

    Dave Green
    703-536-5189 (home)
    202-366-9477 (office, M,W,Th)