V8 Haiku port

hami...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2013, 2:57:58 PM1/15/13
to v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been working on a port of V8 for the operating system Haiku. https://github.com/hamishm/v8
Currently I have all tests but one passing (the failure seems to be due to a Haiku bug).

The code mostly follows the Linux port, with a few minor changes here and there, so it should be easy to maintain.
Would the V8 project be amenable to having this port upstreamed?

Regards,
Hamish

Yang Guo

Jan 21, 2013, 4:52:27 AM1/21/13
to hami...@gmail.com, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hamish,

given that we currently have no way to test another port of v8, we are very hesitant to extend support to Haiku. We realize that this also applies to some other ports backed platform-*.cc files. A lot of the ports contain duplicate code and are not well-tested. This is not a good place for us to be, and we are rethinking the way to approach platform ports that are not maintainable by us. Please understand that we would hate to spread thin our limited resources in order to support a long tail of different platform ports. Therefore I'm sorry to decline going the direction of adding another platform port.

However, since V8 is open source, you are welcome to provide and maintain a patch set or even fork for Haiku.

Best Regards,

Yang