Today's Quote

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 17, 2017, 5:27:50 PM3/17/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
I have been in the business of positive change before the "change" fraudsters surfaced in 2014. I however intend to continue on the "alternative governance platform"(being a "Public Poet" and news information provider).

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 18, 2017, 6:53:10 AM3/18/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Why should anyone banish a Nigerian from any part of Nigeria, just because he is a cattle rearer? Arrest and prosecute him if he commits any offence.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 19, 2017, 10:19:05 PM3/19/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
''Mr Buhari has failed to articulate anything approaching a vision" (Financial Times London)

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 21, 2017, 3:42:17 AM3/21/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
As a poet I cannot commit suicide. If I am depressed, I write poems.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Mar 24, 2017, 6:43:56 AM3/24/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chidi;

It's a long list :

Poets who committed suicide

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 25, 2017, 4:39:54 AM3/25/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
They did
'Cause they wanted to.
As for me,
I will not,
I will rather write poems.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Mar 25, 2017, 7:11:30 AM3/25/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Re - All those who Commit or committed suicide:

I will rather write poems." (Chidi)

To be or not to be is sometimes an individual choice

hear this one bray : "Give me liberty or give me death !"

You remember Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab ? Maybe , if the explosive device had been strapped over his heart instead of around his crown jewels , it could have been a less difficult choice for him especially with last minute thoughts about the houris in paradise. I imagine, the last thought could have been then with what am I going to enjoy?

At least the old man in the photo is not a coward - he did not get to the point of detonating his suicide vest but had fully prepared himself to do so. The caption to the photo reads: When the Iraq Army captured this ISIS old man they asked him:"Why did you want to bomb yourself and kill innocent people?" He said, " l want to have dinner with the prophet in Heaven."

Some people are ready to fight and die for a cause - the cause may be a longing for heaven

and on earth the worldwide Islamic caliphate with Sharia law under the One God under heaven

Question : What is the difference between suicide and martyrdom?

Image1

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 26, 2017, 1:28:49 PM3/26/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
There are other persons with dubious academic credentials in the National Assembly. We will know their names the moment they deviate from the codes of conduct set up by APC and the desert reporters.

Femi Segun

Mar 26, 2017, 1:52:27 PM3/26/17
to 'Chika Onyeani' via USA Africa Dialogue Series
Again, I say that this relativization of evil is a disservice to your avowed commitment to civil liberty and transparency. We must condemn every act of criminality any time and anywhere such is discovered. There's no need for some escapist relativisation.

Femi

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 26, 2017, 2:55:24 PM3/26/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Yes, we must condemn every act of criminality, but not only when it is convenient for us to do that and/or only when our "enemies" are involved.

It is also an act of criminality to know of someone's criminality and keep quiet because he/she is your friend, only to expose him/her when the friendship ceases to exist. That act of criminality is called blackmail and I am against that as well.

You can see Femi that I am still in my area.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Mar 29, 2017, 6:05:40 AM3/29/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
One of the good things about having your friends in government in Nigeria is that while your fellow suspects are being arrested for corruption, colloquium is being organized in your "honour".

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 1, 2017, 7:36:45 PM4/1/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
A Nigerian "investigative Journalist" would first write and publish that someone for instance, does not have certain certificates as claimed and thereafter, proceed to write to the institutions the fellow attended demanding to know if the fellow actually attended those institutions and of course, if the fellow was awarded the certificates claimed. Writing and publishing precedes investigation in Nigeria.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 1, 2017, 7:36:56 PM4/1/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Chidi,

This is a fact: Your statement sounds exactly like what could be one of the pithy sayings of my Yoruba mentor Ogbeni Kadiri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdG57lgHFaA

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 2, 2017, 12:09:03 PM4/2/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,
Journalism must not be investigative, it can also be speculative, in fact, a journalist can report rumours, but at any given time, the readers or listeners must be told that the report is speculative, rumour or factual. A journalist should not present rumours and speculations for instance, as facts, as we often see in Nigerian "investigative journalism".

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 2, 2017, 6:30:02 PM4/2/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chidi,

Many thanks for opening our eyes to the many, both exciting and exacting possibilities within the current forms of what may be known as journalism.

Your words;

"Journalism must not be investigative,

it can also be speculative, in fact, a journalist can

report rumours

but at any given time, the readers or listeners must be told that the report is speculative, rumour or factual. A journalist should not present rumours and speculations for instance, as facts, as we often see in Nigerian "investigative journalism". "

In other words, all good journalism must combine all those elements into what the Buckingham Palace type Professors of Her Majesty the Queen's English would deem "useful nonsense".

But it's mostly no smoke without fire and that's why what may start off as an innocuous rumour in due time grows wings of its own and starts to fly like Achebe's often quoted legacy, "like a bush fire in the Harmattan".

As the story gathers characters, pace and momentum, as it details various mental states, and as the journalist progresses, adding more pepper and salt and liberal portions of slander, speculation, libellous rumours and suspicion, the story acquires an aura of mystery and expectation

especially expectations of a bad outcome

to be used/ misused/ abused for political ends

abi i lie? I still can't make head or tail about all the stories about James Ibori

Goodnight Chidi. I dae go make palaver with my wife now...

a tribe called quest :: black spasmodic

Tupac Shakur : Died in your arms tonight

Tupac Ft T-Pain - Died In Your Arms Remix

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 6, 2017, 5:17:32 PM4/6/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
In democracy,  it is one thing to slam allegations and another thing to prove them.

Salimonu Kadiri

Apr 7, 2017, 7:34:51 AM4/7/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

In Nigeria's democracy, for instance, the Minister of Power would become a millionaire by producing darkness and Senseless Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) would say there is no connection between the Minister's overnight wealth and the darkness he has produced for the citizens.

S. Kadiri

Apr 7, 2017, 7:34:54 AM4/7/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Are we sure that Assad deployed the recent chemical weapon? Or was it done by a fifth columnist to provide excuse for bombing and invasion of Syria?

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Apr 7, 2017, 10:14:24 AM4/7/17
to USAAfricaDialogue
Chidi Anthony Opara,

Your liberal use of hyperbole blurs when you are waxing lyrical or being exuberant with prose.  Bombing of Syria? Yes!  However invasion of Syria?  Not yet done!!

Cheers.

IBK

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 7, 2017, 10:39:43 AM4/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 1:03:39 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue

Well, to weigh in briefly.

Either we are experts in middle eastern affairs, have worked with experts for years and so know which are the most reliable, or else we try to establish which experts we must read to get a sense of the reality of the events.

Pure speculation strikes me as useless, or worse, as it undermines valuable information gathering.

Each of us will turn to those we trust most. If the source is Russian or favors accepting Russian information that will not resemble western sources. There is a reason why the new York times or le monde or bbc have high reputations. Their reporters and editors care about their reputation for being reliable; nutcase sources care about sustaining their readerships’ beliefs.

Sorry, chidi, I don’t favor the speculation about a staged event. It serves the interests of horrible autocrats and dictators for us to play up that side of it.

ken

Kenneth Harrow

Dept of English and Film Studies

Michigan State University

619 Red Cedar Rd

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-803-8839

har...@msu.edu

http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

From: usaafricadialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibukunolu A Babajide <ibk...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday 7 April 2017 at 08:19
To: usaafricadialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Today's Quote

Chidi Anthony Opara,

Your liberal use of hyperbole blurs when you are waxing lyrical or being exuberant with prose.  Bombing of Syria? Yes!  However invasion of Syria?  Not yet done!!

Cheers.

IBK

_________________________

Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

On 7 April 2017 at 12:12, Chidi Anthony Opara <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are we sure that Assad deployed the recent chemical weapon? Or was it done by a fifth columnist to provide excuse for bombing and invasion of Syria?

CAO.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 2:20:12 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue

This is from juan cole’s blog, Informed Consent. I find him the best commentator on mid east affairs

ken

By Juan Cole | (Informed Comment) | – –https://www.juancole.com/2017/04/trump-intervenes-mideast.html

The Syrian Civil War has a domestic, a regional and an international dimension. Domestically, it has become a fight between some largely rural Sunni Arabs (though some are urban as in Ghouta), mostly now of a fundamentalist cast, on the one hand; and on the other the Baath regime of Bashar al-Assad and those groups that support him (most Allawis and Christians, some secular Sunni Arabs) or are neutral toward him (Kurds, Druze).

Regionally, Tunisia, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon and Russia have lined up behind the al-Assad regime, while Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council support the mostly fundamentalist Sunni Arab rebels. It is hard to tell exactly where the Israeli government of Binyamin Netanyahu stands. It appears to be mainly worried about increased capacity coming off the conflict for the Lebanese Hizbullah Shiite militia, and not to care a great deal which force rules Damascus.

It is therefore no surprise that Saudi Arabia and Turkey were among the first governments to praise President Trump’s Tomahawk missile strike on the small Khayrat air force base in Homs province.

In fact, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said in an interview on Turkey’s Channel 7 before the missile strikes that he appreciated Trump’s statement that it is impossible to turn a blind eye to the Syrian government’s use of chemical weapons, but that he needs to see actions, not just words. He said that if Trump swung into action, “the Turkish people are ready to fulfill their responsibility.”

Erdogan also said that he spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin after the gas attack, and that Putin questioned whether Bashar al-Assad was really responsible. Erdogan said that if Putin still did not understand the situation after two days, “that pains us.” Russian media has been insisting that the gas was released at Khan Shikhoun when the Syrian Arab Air Force inadvertently struck an al-Qaeda sarin production workshop and released it. But The Guardian’s on-the-scene correspondent looked into the warehouse fingered by Russia and found nothing inside it.

Saudi Arabia likewise expressed its support for Trump’s cruise missile strike.

Turkey and Saudi Arabia have been more or less defeated in Syria, with their clients among the fundamentalists, such as the Freemen of Syria (Ahrar al-Sham), having been defeated by the Syrian Arab Army, Hizbullah, Iraqi Shiite militias, and Russia air power. They therefore hope that Trump’s Tomahawk strike might change the situation on the ground. If the regime is demoralized and the fundamentalist rebels take heart, Turkey and Saudi Arabia hope, it is possible that al-Assad could yet be overthrown. Both see al-Assad as a puppet of Iran and as responsible for the mass murder of Sunni Arabs in Syria.

In contrast, the countries supporting al-Assad, some of whom hope for good relations with Trump, largely held their tongues. It may be that even they could not defend a sarin gas attack. It may be that they just don’t want to speak out against Trump. Egypt’s President Abdulfattah al-Sisi is likely in this column.

But the likelihood is that Trump’s cruise missile attack was a one-off action rather than the beginning of a full-scale campaign, and that while it may slightly demoralize the Syrian regime, it won’t significantly alter the forces on the field.

As for Iran, it strongly condemned Trump’s attack on the air base, saying that it will aid terrorism in Syria and will make the difficult Syrian situation even more complicated.

Kenneth Harrow

Dept of English and Film Studies

Michigan State University

619 Red Cedar Rd

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-803-8839

har...@msu.edu

http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 7, 2017, 3:50:58 PM4/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Professor Harrow,
The statement I made("Are we sure that Assad deployed the recent chemical weapon? Or was it done by a fifth columnist to provide excuse for bombing and invasion of Syria?") was not a speculation.

I was in other words calling for circumspection in judgment. I was saying in other words that we should not be hasty in our judgment, I was calling for thorough investigation to establish who actually committed the heinous crime.

If you read and digest the statement well, I was saying that we should not rely on USA or Syria or their allies. In other words, there should be investigation by unbiased parties (United Nations, if you like)

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 7, 2017, 3:50:59 PM4/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
"....I find him the best commentator on mid east affairs"(Kenneth Harrow).

Well, sir, we are still walking on the plank of subjectivity.

CAO.

Segun Ogungbemi

Apr 7, 2017, 3:50:59 PM4/7/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Is the problem with the minister of power? The government that sold NEPA to those who could not perform should be held responsible and not the minister.
The arms of government and all its institutions that owe NEPA have not paid their bills. Is it the problem of the minister of power?
I think the challenges go beyond the minister of power.
Everyone who owes NEPA Bill should pay right now and see what happens next.
SO

Sent from my iPhone

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 4:19:06 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue
I quite agree not to rely on an official statement by a government. They can say anything they want. It is objective journalism we need

Kenneth Harrow
Dept of English and Film Studies
Michigan State University
619 Red Cedar Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-803-8839
har...@msu.edu
http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 4:19:06 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue
Hi chidi
I think it is journalists whose job it is, if they are decent, to make those investigations. The more respected the journalist, the more we can rely on them.
They are far from perfect, to be sure. but at least we can start with them. I value juan cole’s opinions, and he more or less indicates his sources. And I value the most reputed newspapers, but I agree we can’t just take their word for gospel.
ken

Kenneth Harrow
Dept of English and Film Studies
Michigan State University
619 Red Cedar Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-803-8839
har...@msu.edu
http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 4:19:06 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue
Hi chidi,
He backs up his comments with reference to sources. For instance, if you read his long statement on the bombings, somewhere in there was reference to a reporter on the ground who investigated the site.
That’s not really an opinion or subjectivity—it is supported by a report of evidence….
ken

Kenneth Harrow
Dept of English and Film Studies
Michigan State University
619 Red Cedar Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-803-8839
har...@msu.edu
http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 7, 2017, 5:06:42 PM4/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Professor Harrow,
The United Nations, with all its shortcomings, in my opinion, have more credibility and of course, legitimacy.

CAO.

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 7, 2017, 6:24:46 PM4/7/17
to usaafricadialogue
Well, when the u.n. sends in its people to investigate the countries I know—the great lakes countries of the drc, Rwanda, Burundi—their reports are sterling gold, so I agree with that.
In this case of Syria, we need reports now to form judgments of how to respond, politically I mean. There we have to settle for something less than gold standard.
ken

Kenneth Harrow
Dept of English and Film Studies
Michigan State University
619 Red Cedar Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-803-8839
har...@msu.edu
http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 7, 2017, 6:35:24 PM4/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Representative Tulsi Gabbard (D) told CNN that there is no evidence that Assad regime was behind chemical attack, described strike as illegal and reckless.

CAO.

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 8, 2017, 7:23:32 AM4/8/17
to usaafricadialogue
Why is she more credible than ny times or bbc or le monde or the guardian reports? Does she have magical knowledge? The times has reliable reporters, what does she do to gather information?
Further, she is a politician—automatically excluded from being a reliable source of news because they are already always ideologically oriented.

On 07/04/17 18:32, "Chidi Anthony Opara" <usaafric...@googlegroups.com on behalf of chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Representative Tulsi Gabbard (D) told CNN that there is no evidence that Assad regime was behind chemical attack, described strike as illegal and reckless.

CAO.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Apr 8, 2017, 7:23:32 AM4/8/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Professor of History
History Department
Central Connecticut State University
1615 Stanley Street

New Britain. CT 06050
www.africahistory.net
Gloria Emeagwali's Documentaries on
Africa and the African Diaspora
8608322815  Phone

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Apr 8, 2017, 7:23:32 AM4/8/17

Sent: Friday, April 7, 2017 5:12 AM
To: USA African Dialogue Series
Subject: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Today's Quote

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Apr 8, 2017, 7:23:32 AM4/8/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
  • To divert attention from a failed health care initiative (2nd round), and a 35% low rating
  • To change the conversation concerning Russia and the election
  • To divert attention from the serious  in-fighting between Bannon and son-in-law K
  • To give the impression that Russia is not as close to the regime  as we thought
  • To show off,  in front of the Chinese President, and demonstrate that he is not a paper tiger
  • To preempt dealing with trigger - happy, nuclear armed  Kim of  North Korea
  • To impress Melania that he is a humanitarian after all.

Many other possibilities, Chidi.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 8, 2017, 12:33:45 PM4/8/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Professor Harrow,
She has a mandate to be in the Legislature, an organ of government that must authorize military actions after examining evidences presented. That mandate gives her much more credibility and more importantly, legitimacy, which the media do not have.

CAO.

Salimonu Kadiri

Apr 8, 2017, 6:09:01 PM4/8/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Segun, what do you have Minister of Power for if he/she cannot see to it that enough electricity is generated for the country's industrial and domestic needs? You erroneously claimed that NEPA was sold to those who could not perform which is totally untrue. For your information Niger Dam Authority (NDA) and Electricity Corporation of Nigeria (ECN) were merged together to become National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) on 24 November 1974. By 1999, Nigerians had re-Baptized National Electric Power Authority to Never Expect Power Always because of constant epileptic power supply throughout the country. In fact, only 19 out of the existing 79 generating plants with installed capacity to generate 6, 000 megawatts then could generate 2,000 megawatts of electricity. Olusegun Obasanjo's Power Reform Acts renamed NEPA to Power Holding Corporation of Nigeria (PHCN) on July 1, 2005. Premised on the Power Reform Acts, Obasanjo's government licensed six semi-independent power generation companies to generate and sell power to the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) at bulk unit price. The six companies were Kainji/Jebba Hydro Power Business Unit, Shiroro Hydro Business Unit, Egbin Electric Power Business Unit, Delta Electric Power Business Unit, Afam Electric Power Business Unit and Sapele Electric Power Business Unit. Obasanjo built five new power stations across the country at a cost of $10 billion. The plants were located at Papalanto in Ogun State, Omotsho in Ondo State, Ugheli in Delta State, Geregu in Kogi State, and Alaoji in Abia State. It was promised that they would be generating 10,000 megawatts electricity by December 2007. By the time Obasanjo exited the Presidency, May 29, 2007, Nigerians had cause to rename Obasanjo's Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) to Problem Has Changed Name, tacitly referring to NEPA. The electricity generation in the country had dropped then from 3,000megawatts to 1,500 megawatts. When Yar'Adua became the President, the Senate and the House of Reps set up a joint committee to investigate what happened to the $16 billion spent by Obasanjo on electricity and found out that monies that disappeared from the power sector were shining lights in the bank accounts of various officials in the Ministry of Power and its subordinate parastatals.

Yar'Adua Presidency, promised Nigeria that by the end of 2009  and 2011 Nigeria would generate 6,000 MW and 10, 000 MW respectively. In March 2009, the Chairman of Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Ransom Owan and six members of the Commission were suspended by the federal government for alleged mismanagement of N1.54 billion. On 15 September 2009, the Rural Electrification Agency was scrapped after it was discovered that the sum of N5.2 billion had been stolen in 2008 by National Assembly Members and a civil servant. The chairman of the Senate Committee on Power, Senator Nicholas Yahaya Ugbane (PDP Kogi East) his House of Representatives counterpart, Ndidi Elumelu (PDP Delta State), Chairman House Committee on Rural Development, Paulinus Igwe (PDP Ebonyi), Mohammed Jibo (PDP Niger State) and Permanent Secretary Ministry of Power, Alhaji Aliyu Abdullahi, were arrested and arraigned before an Abuja High Court by the EFCC on a 156 count charge of corruption and embezzlement of public funds. Although the Federal Executive Council led by Yar'Adua approved N384 billion for the execution of projects of the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) yet by the end of September 2009, the Managing Director of PHCN then, Hussaini Labo, told the nation that the nation's power generation was fluctuating between 2,300 and 2,400 megawatts.

When Goodluck Jonathan won the Presidential election in 2011, he appointed Professor Bartholomew Nnaji as the Minister of Power. During Obasanjo era, Nnaji's company called Geometric Powers was one of the 18 private companies that were granted operational licenses by the Federal Government to undertake the generation of electricity to complement efforts to boost the country's available supply capacity. The Federal Government stood as guarantor for Bank loans to those private power companies of which Professor Nnaji's company received N25 million. However, Professor Nnaji proceeded as Minister of Power to initiate privatisation of PHCN and in the course of that, there emerged furious struggle between the predators on who among them should get the lion, tiger, leopard, hyena and fox share of the PHCN. The conflict of interest led Jonathan to ease out Professor Nnaji from the Ministry of Power and Professor Chinedu Ositadinma Ndubuisi Nebo replaced him. At subsequent Senate hearing for his confirmation, Professor Nebo said "If the President deploys me in the power sector, I believe that given my performance at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN, where as a Chancellor, I drove out the witches and the demons, God will also give me power to drive out demons in the power sector." When Professor Nebo left office on May 29, 2015, PHCN had been dismantled. Instead, there were four generating companies designated as GENCOS with the right to sell all power generated in Nigeria to Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) which in turn sells to the ten Distribution Companies  designated, DISCOS. Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) was retained by the government to supervise electric tariffs and bills. In view of the above facts, PCHN was only partially privatised and the government can easily reverse the process at will if found not workable.

You talked about unpaid electricity bills but those bills were based on anticipatory consumptions of electricity and not on the real consumptions. If NEPA, as you wrongly call the electric power supplier instead of PHCN,  sent an anticipatory total bill of 10,000 MWs to consumers whereas its total power distribution for the period was 2,000 MWs, then your NEPA should not claim that it is being owed 8,000MWs of unpaid electric bills, when in reality it has been paid for the 2,000MW actually supplied. The problem is that enough power is not generated to supply electricity for the country and if the Minister of power suddenly becomes a millionaire immediately after generating darkness for the people, we should hold that minister responsible for enveloping the nation in darkness. The Nigerian four Crude Oil Refineries record zero production against their installed capacities, as we all know. Do you blame that on unpaid bills for fuels at petrol stations by Nigerian consumers?

S.Kadiri

Apr 9, 2017, 7:03:40 AM4/9/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
If the Moslem minority group in predominantly Christian America and Europe deserve protection, does the Coptic Christian minority group in predominantly Moslem Egypt not deserve the same?

Kenneth Harrow

Apr 9, 2017, 3:15:27 PM4/9/17
to usaafricadialogue

Looks like chidi is totally right!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/09/world/middleeast/explosion-egypt-coptic-christian-church.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Horrible attach on Coptic church in Egypt

So much hatred! From all sides. We should abolish religion, except for the fact that those who need to hate the Others so much would find another reason to blow them up, and to destroy the values of life!

ken

Kenneth Harrow

Dept of English and Film Studies

Michigan State University

619 Red Cedar Rd

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-803-8839

har...@msu.edu

http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Segun Ogungbemi

Apr 10, 2017, 3:23:57 PM4/10/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Kadiri,
I am sorry I did not respond to your argument because of other urgent compelling matters.
Let me say here that I am not holding brief for the minister of power, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola. I have never met him. I don't know him and we don't communicate with each other. I only feel that justice must be done to any issue that affects our leaders whether we like them or not.
I used the acronym NEPA because it has been a household name in Nigeria rather than the other ones you mentioned.
The appointment of the minister of power to oversee the supply of electricity for the domestic and industrial sectors of the economy which is his primary assignment; everything being equal.
The historical narratives you have given supported my position that the inability of the ministry of power to perform the expected function cannot be blame on the minister, it is beyond him.
If the political class is serious and sincere in the adequate supply of electricity in Nigeria since 1999, considering the huge amount of money invested in it, there won't  be darkness anywhere in the country today.
You analyzed all the stages of government efforts to get the problem solved but the more new devices are introduced the worse the situation becomes.
You remember in 1999 late Chief Bola Ige promised to solve the problem of power in Nigeria within six months if given the job. He got the job, did he solve the problem? Why? It was beyond him.
The corruption embedded in the system must be treated first before anyone saddled with the responsibility of electricity can perform the magic wand expected of him or her.
During Jonathan administration, the National Assembly was asked to pass a bill to stop importation of generators to this country so that it would stop those who frustrate the effort of government to supply electricity. It was reported in the news then that some members of the National Assembly argued that what would happen to those who were in the business of importation of generators? In such a scenario can you blame the minister of power?
Normally, in my view, the distribution of electricity should have been the function of private companies. That would have prevented the so called crazy bills syndrome. But don't forget the attitude of users of the electricity in the country is appalling. There is dishonesty among the users of electricity and workers of the company.
In Lagos, Kaduna, Zaria and other parts of the country where I had lived,  I witnessed instances where tenants and landlords who had genuine bills did not want to pay their bills. And what did they do? Instead of paying their bills they opted  to bribe NEPA workers.
Find out Kadiri whether the NEPA bills owed by most of the ministries,  Federal Secretariat Ikoyi were paid before and after they relocated to Abuja. Generally, Nigerians don't want to pay for anything owned by government.
People pay for recharge cards because it is not owned by government and because once their credit is used up they cannot sue the companies that sell it. And more importantly, they want to be in contact with their people and chat.
Unless the social monster called corruption is dealt with, it seems to me, the issue of inadequate supply of power cannot be blamed on the minister of power.
Segun.

Okechukwu Ukaga

Apr 10, 2017, 5:23:57 PM4/10/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Segun,
Is it not part of the duty and responsibility of the minister to solve the corruption problem and any other problem preventing him from accomplishing his goals? If he is not able to be effective for the reason you suggested, why have a minister, knowing fully well that he is not able to do anything?
OU

Segun Ogungbemi

Apr 11, 2017, 3:56:45 AM4/11/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
OU,
In a more civilized clime, yes,  it is the responsibility of the minister but in Nigeria, no minister can fight corruption alone.
 Buhari administration has been fighting corruption about two years ago and Mr. President is seen as a lone ranger in the roforofo fight against corruption. The battle against corruption has been on since Mr. President took over only time will tell who wins.
OU, did you read the long narratives of Kadiri since independence when Nigerian leaders have been working on making sure the problem of power is resolved in this country? Have they succeeded?
 It is not the present minister of power,  no matter how hard he tries,  that can solve the darkness we find ourselves.
The political class and all its associates in the business circle are largely responsible.
OU, if you become the minister of power today, do you think you will solve the problem of epileptic power supply in the country? Those generator businessmen and women will frustrate your effort to get Nigeria out of darkness.
The way forward, in my opinion, is to make solar energy free for rural  and semi urban, cities and towns in Nigeria.
Who pays? The federal and state governments have to foot the bills. And when that is done whatever is generated from other sources will be enough for industrial and commercial  sectors including domestic purposes in all the State capitals, Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and big cities in the country. Private companies will be allowed to handle the business. The users will be responsible for payment of their electric bills.
Segun.

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 12, 2017, 6:39:09 AM4/12/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
The Nigerian bloggers may be "despicable" and the Nigerian public figures may have articulate media aides, but nothing can be done(except illegal arrest and detention)if a "despicable" Nigerian blogger gets a glimpse of one or more of the many skeletons in a Nigerian public figure's cupboard.

Salimonu Kadiri

Apr 12, 2017, 3:30:27 PM4/12/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Segun,

Before Aisha Buhari alerted the world that her husband's government had been hijacked by people who were alien to the APC and its ideology of change, I believed that President Buhari actually wanted to fight corruption in Nigeria. It was Aisha Buhari that exposed Buhari as corruption's shadow boxer because of the type of people he has surrounded himself with in the Presidency. How could DSS, an appointee by the President serving under the President, forward, not once but twice, a report to the Senate to rubbish Ibrahim Magu, another appointee of the President and urging the Senate not to confirm his appointment as head of EFCC? Senators Bukola Saraki, Godswill Akpabio, Stella Oduah, Joshua Dariye, Ahmed Sani, Adamu Abdullahi, Magatakarda Wammako, Jonah Jang, Rabiu Kwankwaso, Danjuma Goje, Theodore Orji etc., are all facing corruption charges initiated by Magu's EFCC and the same Senators are to confirm the appointment of their prosecutor. If Buhari is really in charge and he is fighting corruption, there is no way the aforementioned criminals who have no immunity against prosecution can be free to obstruct his war against corruption.

We have Ministries, Departments and Agencies designed and assigned to tackle all our socio-political, economic and industrial problems. All these institutions are manned by academically qualified Nigerians who, by the economic standard in the country, are over-remunerated. The question that we should be asking is why are Nigerian academics heading all our institutions not performing in office like their counterparts in other countries of the World? In the western world from where we acquire our education and system of government, if an official is unable to deliver on what is expected of his office, the official will either resign or be dismissed for incompetence. In our country, the officials who are assigned the responsibility to refine crude oil for domestic consumption have failed to fulfil their duties despite being paid salaries and allowances. The same incompetence and lack of delivery is displayed in every ministry, department and agency run and managed by over-qualified Nigerian intellectuals in spite of financial and material resources put at their disposals by the nation. If corruption impugns on the professional and academic integrity of our officials, why do they continue to hold office instead of resigning?

S. Kadiri

Apr 12, 2017, 9:26:14 PM4/12/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

I agree that the problem of electricity will only be solved by solar generation in the way the problem of corrupt centralized telephony was solved by the taylorization effect of advent of mobile telephony.

Ever since I read in 1999 the story of one village in Kaduna being powered effectively  by solar energy and knowing what Nigerian crooks are it was obvious to me the solution to the problems of Nigerias epileptic power supply is àround the corner.

In the UK now in the suburbs of London many roof tops of the well heeled now proudly display solar panelling because it is cheaper than hooking to the national grid.

If half of the billions you claim was spent through all kinds of generating and distribution companies had been spend on commensurate community solar panelling like the Kaduna village above by now more than half the country will be aglow with energy.

I foresee two problems: funding and theft of hardware.

The earlier can be solved by federal and state govts guarrateeing loans and providing funds for solar panelling state and federal bureaucracies and setting up loan schemes for individuals to  solar panel individual homes (rather than providing them for free.  Thereby a sustainable revolving scheme of extensions is set up.)

Theft:

The system chosen must be one that allows for digital radio coding so that no solar panels of two homes can work from the others switch.  Each solar panel activation should be unique.  This can be done from source from the manufacturing and supplying company.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 14, 2017, 3:59:16 AM4/14/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
"Very soon, armed robbers will start disguising as EFCC operatives"(Kemi Elechi on facebook)

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 15, 2017, 6:02:41 PM4/15/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
I do not believe the NIA "convert operation" story,  reason being that there is always inter agency synergy, it is standard practice all over the world. The synergy ensures that EFCC a sister agency to NIA would know that there is an  NIA currency safe house in that area but not necessarily the amount and details of what it is meant for.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 24, 2017, 9:55:12 AM4/24/17
to USA African Dialogue Series

Far right ideologues like Trump and Le Pen should start campaigning against UNSC veto, interference in internal affairs of other countries, complete nuclear weapons disarmament, etc.

CAO.

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Apr 24, 2017, 9:59:46 AM4/24/17
to USAAfricaDialogue
Just like that?  Do you know how many lives they wasted simply to get that privilege?

Cheers.

IBK

_________________________

On 24 April 2017 at 16:19, Chidi Anthony Opara <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Far right ideologues like Trump and Le Pen should start campaigning against UNSC veto, interference in internal affairs of other countries, complete nuclear weapons disarmament, etc.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 25, 2017, 2:55:32 PM4/25/17
to USA African Dialogue Series

One of the bail conditions mean that Nnamdi Kanu cannot go to his place of worship.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 28, 2017, 6:38:20 AM4/28/17
to USA African Dialogue Series

Segun Adeniyi's recent book reiterated what is already known, which is that powerful forces wanted Jonathan out of the way, and he gave way because if he had insisted, many would have died.  Is that not heroic?  Even if we insist that that is cowardice, it saved the nation from bloodbath and if it takes cowardice to achieve that,  then cowardice in some circumstances can be heroic.  Igbos say that "ana ano na ulo onye ujo na ele ihe  one ike mebiri"(we stand in the compound of the coward to watch the destruction carried out by the brave.)

CAO.

Femi Segun

Apr 28, 2017, 8:16:17 AM4/28/17
to 'Chika Onyeani' via USA Africa Dialogue Series
Another needless defense of kleptocracy. So, GEJ should have been allowed to continue his slient conspiracy of the mindless looting of the commonwealth-the effect of which we are still reeling from today. Please read the editorial of the Punch, April 28, 2017. Sometimes, it is better to keep quite than to make comments that contradicts one's avowed commitment to transparency.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Chidi Anthony Opara <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Segun Adeniyi's recent book reiterated what is already known, which is that powerful forces wanted Jonathan out of the way, and he gave way because if he had insisted, many would have died.  Is that not heroic?  Even if we insist that that is cowardice, it saved the nation from bloodbath and if it takes cowardice to achieve that,  then cowardice in some circumstances can be heroic.  Igbos say that "ana ano na ulo onye ujo na ele ihe  one ike mebiri"(we stand in the compound of the coward to watch the destruction carried out by the brave.)

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 28, 2017, 1:31:33 PM4/28/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Samuel,
I will advise here that you should quit those unnecessary subtle blackmails and focus your comments on the issues I raise. My "avowed" commitment to transparency must not only be serviced when I support the causes you support.

I said that "Segun Adeniyi's recent book reiterated what is already known, which is that powerful forces wanted Jonathan out of the way, and he gave way because if he had insisted, many would have died. Is that not heroic? Even if we insist that that is cowardice, it saved the nation from bloodbath and if it takes cowardice to achieve that, then cowardice in some circumstances can be heroic. Igbos say that "ana ano na ulo onye ujo na ele ihe one ike mebiri"(we stand in the compound of the coward to watch the destruction carried out by the brave.)" that is my opinion. You can hold and express yours.

That punch editorial could have been written by anybody. For your information, editorials are the personal opinions of the Editorial Board members.

Chidi Anthony Opara

Apr 28, 2017, 2:54:00 PM4/28/17
to USA African Dialogue Series

We are all proud Biafrans, if they will stop commercializing and politicizing the sacred cause.

CAO.

Salimonu Kadiri

Apr 29, 2017, 7:53:38 AM4/29/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

The implication of what Chidi is saying is that Nigerians voted massively for Goodluck Ebelechukwu Nnamdi Jonathan in the Presidential election of 28 March 2015 and he won. However, Jonathan abandoned the mandate given to him by the electorates to the looser, Buhari, because he envisaged that his election victory could lead to bloodbath from the minority looser!! May Amadioha save us from the illogical behaviour of Chidi standing in the compound of the coward, already captured by the brave, to spectate at the conqueror. Cowards have no compound and it is against commonsense to ask about what happened to the beards of a fraudulent Imam roasted to death in a fire by angry citizens.

S.Kadiri

Apr 29, 2017, 7:53:38 AM4/29/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Paper men and women should give way for iron men and women to lead the real Biafra cause.

CAO.
Message has been deleted

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 1, 2017, 5:03:54 AM5/1/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
"Biafra" is now a ticket to political super stardom. An upstart forms a "pro-Biafra group" and overnight becomes a political super star.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 1, 2017, 10:52:29 AM5/1/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
It seems that critics and some of the legalists in power want to deny him the right to be an upstart who advocates an armed struggle, if need be

"to take up arms against a sea of troubles - and by opposing, end them...

https://youtu.be/DZiREqVp6gE

Kenneth Harrow

May 1, 2017, 12:09:03 PM5/1/17
to usaafricadialogue
Or else to sleep, and by sleeping to end all troubles….

Kenneth Harrow
Dept of English and Film Studies
Michigan State University
619 Red Cedar Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-803-8839
har...@msu.edu
http://www.english.msu.edu/people/faculty/kenneth-harrow/

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 1, 2017, 12:09:03 PM5/1/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,
Kanu never wanted to start any serious separatist movement, judging from his method of operation and the wordings of his messages(propaganda).He just wanted political limelight and saw "Biafra" as a means of achieving that.

I saw the capitulation(acceptance of bail conditions that effectively shutdown his so called agitation) coming and it came.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 1, 2017, 2:42:33 PM5/1/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Here is some real zeal
https://youtu.be/abLdOcU1ctM
Message has been deleted

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 3, 2017, 8:20:30 PM5/3/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
One of the things I find worrisome about the IPOB's version of Biafra is that that country would be ruled by "a god" who should never be criticized or disagreed with.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 4, 2017, 8:55:43 AM5/4/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chidi,

Although I don't know what the IPOB's version of Biafra is but suspect that it-s nothing to be worried about , in fact we should be happy about IPOB's version of Biafra and look at it as what Mattias Gardel calls "positive faith". At least that's how he answered my question at his doctoral disputation which took place on the same day as the Oklahoma Bombing (19th April 1995) and that morning I had witnessed the CNN newsreader (a black guy) blinking in disbelief as he read the script that the prime suspect for the bombing was the Black Muslims - so at the disputation (his thesis was on Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam) my first of three questions to Gardell was why was the White Man so afraid of the Black Muslims - and Gardell's preamble was that " Well, you know the Black Muslims believe that the Black Man is God and that's what I call positive faith ". What you may not know, is that Gardell's brother Jonas, is a comedian, so, apart from high seriousness there's also a sense of humour in the family.

History records that Nigeria's most eloquent Chinua Achebe objected to AWO being honoured with a national funeral on the grounds that AWO "was not an Igbo God". Therefore brave Chidi, let me ask you , don't you think that all our problems would be solved if Biafra became an Igbo theocracy, ruled by the omnipotent Igbo God? You would no longer be scared of Boko Haram or marauding Fulani Herdsmen or Sharia Law any more, or need nuclear weapons to defend yourselves against anybody.

Short of a theocracy, surely the Constitution of Biafra would not make any provisions for a dictatorship and we know that dictatorship is far from Igbo culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sP83WH2-bI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYy8vioL_0c

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Calabar+International+Jazz+Festival&tbm=vid

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 7, 2017, 9:46:07 AM5/7/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Haven't the recently released Chibok girls revealed yet that Goodluck Jonathan drove the bus with which they were abducted?

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 7, 2017, 1:50:08 PM5/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Chidi! Chidi!! Chidi !!! Chidi!!!!

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 7, 2017, 5:00:06 PM5/7/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
There is what is called "alternative governance platform". Those who put government on their toes on social media,  belong to this platform.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 7, 2017, 7:00:21 PM5/7/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Why is Europe rejecting the far right?  Is it that the far right is the new left or is it that far right promises are not realistic as seen in the Trump presidency?

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 7, 2017, 11:50:08 PM5/7/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
I am still thinking about the logistics of moving over 200 girls from a school to unknown destination in a single night.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 7, 2017, 11:50:08 PM5/7/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Beaus, ribbons and bows

Keep them on their toes

It's a worthy platform, all to the good (even if sometimes you get slighly carried away by the muse)

Action : Re- your insidious who was driving the bus - don't you think that it's a feather in the president's hat - so to speak (President Buhari's) that they have been able to negotiate the release of 82 Chibok Girls - allegedly in exchange for 5 Boko Haram Warriors.

Sincerely,

isn't it time for poetry

isn't it alawys time

how happy are the families of the girls who have regained their freedom !

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 8, 2017, 6:35:24 AM5/8/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 8, 2017, 6:41:12 PM5/8/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
"No Journalist will be allowed to interview the rescued Chibok school girls. They will not go back to their parents. They will be kept in Abuja here" (Femi Adeshina).

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 9, 2017, 11:45:46 AM5/9/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Why do the Nigerian "Cabal" hate the words "Acting President"?

CAO.

Salimonu Kadiri

May 9, 2017, 1:59:55 PM5/9/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chidi, did Femi Adeshina tell you this personally or what is the source of your quoted information?

S. Kadiri

May 10, 2017, 2:40:04 PM5/10/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chidi,

Did the oga tell you personally ?
Otherwise, please give us your source/sources

Treasonable?

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 19:59:55 UTC+2, ogunlakaiye wrote:
> Chidi, did Femi Adeshina tell you this personally or what is the source of your quoted information?
>
> S. Kadiri

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 10, 2017, 4:03:19 PM5/10/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,
When you start to ask questions like this, I will start to ignore your questions.

My answer is that that was one of the news releases from the Presidency concerning the recently released 82 "Chibok girls " signed by Femi Adeshina as President's chief spokesperson and carried by major and minor news media.

In future, questions like this will be ignored.

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 10, 2017, 4:49:59 PM5/10/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating
ignorance.

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 11, 2017, 5:32:50 AM5/11/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Every politician and activist in Africa want to be like Mandela,  minus the 27 years in prison  of course.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 11, 2017, 11:19:38 AM5/11/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
Biafra under Nnamdi Kanu is impossible. You  guys do not have to agree with me, just remember that I told you that.

CAO

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 11, 2017, 11:20:02 AM5/11/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Strongly disagree. Not every politician and activist in Africa wants to be like Madiba

Albert King : Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

Fact is that to sing the blues you've got to pay some dues (the judgement ought to be, " If politicians commit crime, they must do the time"

The Good News: Nnamdi Kanu will have a chance to shine at his trial (where he could perform his to be or not to be litany of all that's wrong - maybe, enough cause to take up arms...

Salimonu Kadiri

May 11, 2017, 4:42:13 PM5/11/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Cornelius,

I observed that you rephrased my question to Chidi. He replied, "My answer is that that was one of the news from the Presidency concerning the recently  released 82 'Chibok girls' signed by Femi Adeshina as President's Chief spokesperson and carried by major and minor news media."

My query to Chidi which you rephrased on May 10, 2017, was premised on his post of 9 May 2017. He wrote in inverted commas begin and closed thus,"No Journalist will be allowed to interview the rescued Chibok school girls. They will not go back to their parents. They will kept in Abuja here." (Femi Adeshina).

If Femi Adeshina had actually signed the statement credited to him by Chidi Anthony Opara, why can't Chidi just post the signed statement? Why is it so troublesome to mention one of the news media that quoted the same statement Chidi attributed to Femi Adeshina? Why did Chidi refer to Femi Adeshina's statement in quotation marks as if Femi talked to him directly? By asking if Femi Adeshina spoke to Chidi personally or what was the source of his quoted statement attributed to Femi, I had already expressed my doubt about the authenticity of the statement.

Succumbing to Chidi's philosophy of lie is life, you responded to him thus, "Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance." So, do you think that those who question loudmouthed attention seekers, fabricating lies and crediting them to innocent people in the cyberspace are ignorant people who should be ignored and in your view, that is an effective way of correcting and castigating ignorance? When my questions are not answered, I do not feel ignored by the persons to whom the questions are directed since their reaction in that regard is expected of neurotic intellectuals who always feel angry when events do not affirm their idealized self-image. When questions tend to expose dubious lies and dishonest fabrications, crooks get angry.

S. Kadiri

May 12, 2017, 5:16:22 AM5/12/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
The reason why I criticize the current Biafra agitation is because I am a Biafran who want to see independent Biafra as soon as possible, but if these political jobbers(Kanu and Uwazuruike) continue to commercialize and politicize the cause, that will never happen.

CAO.

Olayinka Agbetuyi

May 12, 2017, 12:24:19 PM5/12/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

'The cause' by its very nature is political.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 12, 2017, 12:41:34 PM5/12/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Sometimes = not always (like NEPA

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 22:42:13 UTC+2, ogunlakaiye wrote:

Cornelius,

> I observed that you rephrased my question to Chidi. He replied, "My answer is that that was one of the news from the Presidency concerning the recently  released 82 'Chibok girls' signed by Femi Adeshina as President's Chief spokesperson and
> carried by major and minor news media."
>

> My query to Chidi which you rephrased on May 10, 2017, was premised on his post of 9 May 2017. He wrote in inverted commas begin and closed thus,"No Journalist will be allowed to interview the rescued Chibok school girls. They will not go back
> to their parents. They will kept in Abuja here." (Femi Adeshina).
>
> If Femi Adeshina had actually signed the statement credited to him by Chidi Anthony Opara, why can't Chidi just post the signed statement? Why is it so troublesome to mention one of the news media that quoted the same statement Chidi attributed to
> Femi Adeshina? Why did Chidi refer to Femi Adeshina's statement in quotation marks as if Femi talked to him directly? By asking if Femi Adeshina spoke to Chidi personally or what was the source of his quoted statement attributed to Femi, I had already expressed
> my doubt about the authenticity of the statement.
>

> Succumbing to Chidi's philosophy of lie is life, you responded to him thus, "Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance." So, do you think that those who question loudmouthed attention seekers, fabricating
> lies and crediting them to innocent people in the cyberspace are ignorant people who should be ignored and in your view, that is an effective way of correcting and castigating ignorance? When my questions are not answered, I do not feel ignored by the persons
> to whom the questions are directed since their reaction in that regard is expected of neurotic intellectuals who always feel angry when events do not affirm their idealized self-image. When questions tend to expose dubious lies and dishonest fabrications, crooks
> get angry.
>
> S. Kadiri

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 12, 2017, 6:20:01 PM5/12/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Yes, the cause is by its nature political, however, dressing it in the garb of partisan politics should not be acceptable.

CAO.

Salimonu Kadiri

May 12, 2017, 6:20:06 PM5/12/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Typical African intellectuals, especially poets and bloggers, are extremely pompous and their need to impress makes it difficult for them to explain simple phenomenon or concepts. When the credibility of a statement is questioned, the maker or reporter of the statement is always obliged to answer any arising question. But the pompous African intellectuals may ignorantly arrogate to himself the power to ignore any  question that tends to expose their fabricated lies.

Chidi with quotation marks pretended as if Femi Adeshina talked to him directly. When confronted to confirm the source of his quoted statement, he somersaulted into an alleged signed statement by Femi Adeshina carried by unnamed major and minor news media. When asked to name which major and minor news media carried the signed statement, Chidi retorted, I ignore the question? And to that the chameleon said, "Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance," which is not applicable in this case. Firstly, a question posed to verify if a statement is true or false has nothing to do with ignorance. Secondly, it is naive to think that ignorance can sometimes be effectively corrected or castigated if ignored. Chidi Anthony Okpara authored the statement that he fraudulently attributed to Femi Adeshina and he cunningly assumed that he could avoid exposure by refusing to answer my question. This list serve is a windy storm, chickens that come to play in it risk getting their anus exposed for public views.

S. Kadiri

Skickat: den 12 maj 2017 18:32

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 12, 2017, 6:52:39 PM5/12/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Senor Kadiri,

I wrote, "Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance," in response to Chidi's post which was addressed to me.

I was replying to him on behalf of I myself Cornelius Ignoramus who doesn't have a clue about when the girls will be able to join their families and to talk to the hungry newspaper journalists about their many months in captivity...

They say that silence is golden.

They say that silence means consent.

They don't keep quiet.

Kadima

Salimonu Kadiri

May 13, 2017, 10:39:14 AM5/13/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Juvenis Hamelberg,

I got the three equations!!

Silence is golden.

Silence means consent.

Silence means ignore.

However, your question to Chidi and his reply were posted on this list serve and as such are opened to any member's intervention. In fact, my question to him which you rephrased after he failed to response arose out of his post on this forum. Whatever response you gave to Chidi through this forum cannot be considered as a private discussion between you and him, unless the forum is a sandbox for children.

Have you verified if Femi Adeshina ever made and signed the statement which Chidi credited him with?  Let us agree that you are ignorant of if Femi Adeshina actually authored and signed the statement attributed to him, in what way will your ignorance be corrected or castigated effectively if the peddler of the said information decides to ignore your enquiry or question?

S. Kadiri

Skickat: den 13 maj 2017 00:51

Till: USA Africa Dialogue Series

Olayinka Agbetuyi

May 13, 2017, 10:39:20 AM5/13/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
It is partisan precisely because not ALL Ndigbo subscribes to necromancing Biafra.

A large cross-section of Ndigbo feels fulfilled inside the Nigeria nation, have made gains and continue to make gains within the structures of one Nigeria since the experiment of Biafra; but -alas- do not speak loud enough against Biafranists!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

May 13, 2017, 4:24:06 PM5/13/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Ogbeni Kadiri,

"NATURE and Nature’s Laws lay hid in Night:

God said, “Let Newton be!” and all was light." (Epitaph on Sir Isaac Newton)

Since you are a master of proverbs, please re-examine my one-liner in which I was only being humble, friendly, diplomatic and ironic, maybe a little sarcastic with regard to your question, "in what way will (my) ignorance be corrected or castigated effectively if the peddler of the said information decides to ignore my enquiry or question?"

"Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance."

Close to the saying, " Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."

There are of course various types of ignorance, one of which is wilful ignorance. We know the cure for that.

In some cases, we could also exchange the word " arrogance" for ignorance...

Please bear in mind that sometimes, your questions are also my questions in search of an answer.

Instead of challenging the source of the comments attributed to Femi Adeshina, to save us from the clutches of mass deception, you could (you yourself) save us all the trouble by going to the source instead of starting another tedious round of Socratic dialogue proving that you are right and that someone else (Ogbeni Opara) is woefully wrong. To his credit Ogbeni Opara did say somewhere that, "at any given time, the readers or listeners must be told that the report is speculative, rumour or factual. A journalist should not present rumours and speculations for instance, as facts"...

Re - your other words :"Typical African intellectuals, especially poets and bloggers, are extremely pompous and their need to impress makes it difficult for them to explain simple phenomenon or concepts" (Ogbeni Kadiri)

I thank God that I am not one of them ( African intellectual, poet or blogger)

We read about him everyday, about the African intelligentsia, about their elite knowledge production, we are sometimes spellbound by some of the obituaries and eulogies of character and achievement in this our august forum. However, generally speaking, among the living, when it comes to their responsibilities, that much maligned persona, the "African intellectual" - a general category that admits of all types of itinerant, sometimes gifted, shipwrecked diaspora vagrants, in their degree-spun cocoons are sometimes, sadly found wanting, deficient, as if "the curse of Ham" cannot defy what passes as "African Witchcraft" -

and indeed as if the genius of African Witchcraft and Wizardry

cannot replace Ogbeni Kadiri's Professors of electricity

whose claim to fame consists mainly in producing darkness only !

And then we have poets like Chidi

(never afraid to ask the uncomfortable questions)

and "Darkness at the break of noon" Bobby D

and before them Arthur Koestler screeching about the darkness -

indeed, it's "Only a matter of time till night comes Stepping in".

Making sense of it all, Edward Said has interesting viewpoints about the role of the intellectual and adjacent matters in his Reith Lectures of 1993 ( Soyinka's was eleven years later : Climate of fear

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 14, 2017, 7:54:22 AM5/14/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
If one bypasses the doctrines and focuses on his teachings, one will discover that Jesus Christ transcends religions.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 14, 2017, 7:54:24 AM5/14/17
to USA African Dialogue Series
"We have a tremendous role in defending freedom and liberty"(Emmanuel Macron, newly inaugurated President of France).

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 14, 2017, 12:22:28 PM5/14/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Dear Chidi,

We had better be careful how we use the word "transcend".

As Josephus said about Jesus, "If indeed he was a man" - and not "God incarnate " paying the Pharisees a visit over two thousand years ago.

We have to do something about what this Urban dictionary teaches about Chidi and Jesus

Tajdar- e -Haram

Rainbow

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 14, 2017, 3:21:44 PM5/14/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
My own Dear Ogbeni Kadiri,

Whose ignorance?

Putting it roughly, crudely, if you will, a little less kindly, for Mr Rascality (Chidi) is a bosom comrade-at-heart of Yours Truly and such a friendship is - as circumstances may demand, prepared to make sacrifices to avoid pointless arguments about brutal truths; what I was under-stating is still a permanent truth

Ignored is not always an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance.
Does Ogbeni Kadiri agree?

n Saturday, 13 May 2017 00:20:06 UTC+2, ogunlakaiye wrote:
> Typical African intellectuals, especially poets and bloggers, are extremely pompous and their need to impress makes it difficult for them to explain simple phenomenon or concepts. When the credibility of a statement is questioned, the maker or reporter of
> the statement is always obliged to answer any arising question. But the pompous African intellectuals may ignorantly arrogate to himself the power to ignore any  question that tends to expose their fabricated lies.
>

> Chidi with quotation marks pretended as if Femi Adeshina talked to him directly. When confronted to confirm the source of his quoted statement, he somersaulted into an alleged signed statement by Femi Adeshina carried by unnamed major and minor news media.
> When asked to name which major and minor news media carried the signed statement, Chidi retorted, I ignore the question? And to that the chameleon said, "Ignored is sometimes an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance," which is not applicable
> in this case. Firstly, a question posed to verify if a statement is true or false has nothing to do with ignorance. Secondly, it is naive to think that ignorance can sometimes be effectively corrected or castigated if ignored. Chidi Anthony Okpara authored
> the statement that he fraudulently attributed to Femi Adeshina and he cunningly assumed that he could avoid exposure by refusing to answer my question. This list serve is a windy storm, chickens that come to play in it risk getting their anus exposed for public views.
>
> S. Kadiri

Chidi Anthony Opara

May 14, 2017, 3:21:44 PM5/14/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,
We will do nothing, it's a free world.

CAO.

Salimonu Kadiri

May 14, 2017, 5:35:43 PM5/14/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

My dear Rabi Hamelberg,

Ignored is (sometimes) not always an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance, you wrote. I am convinced that to ignore is never at anytime an effective way of correcting or castigating ignorance. To ignore could only allow ignorance to flourish and the consequences, a times, might be irreparable. How can a person who, ignorantly, intends to kiss a viper be effectively corrected or castigated of his ignorance if he is ignored?

S. Kadiri

Skickat: den 14 maj 2017 18:42

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 14, 2017, 5:35:50 PM5/14/17
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
" Let the fool speak and the wise give no answer "

Salimonu Kadiri

May 14, 2017, 7:42:53 PM5/14/17
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

My own Dear Rabi Hamelberg,

You wrote, "Instead of challenging the source of the comments attributed to Femi Adeshina, to save us from the clutches of mass deception, you could (you yourself) save us all the trouble by going to the source instead of starting another tedious round of Socratic dialogue, proving that you are right and that someone else is woefully wrong."

Thank you for giving us the source(s) of what you distortedly called comments attributed to Femi Adeshina, instead of statements. I have never challenged the source of the information peddled by your darling, Chidi. I only asked your darling, Chidi, if Adeshina talked to him personally since the statements were in quotation marks, and if not, Chidi should tell us the source of the statements attributed to Adeshina. Having perused all your posted google sources, I could not find where Adeshina, according to Chidi's post of 9 May 2017, had said the followings, "No journalist will be allowed to interview the rescued Chibok  school girls. They will not go back to their parents. They will be kept in Abuja here." What I have all along disputed is that the statements credited to Adeshina never originated from him and that your darling, Chidi, is a peddler of malicious lie. This forum is a market where you can only trade/sell truth. Once the truth hits some of our intellectuals trading lies on this forum, they become like a fish out of water. They will complain that truth drove away, first non Africans, then Sierra-Leoneans and now their turn to be driven out because truth tellers dare comment or dispute the validity of the contents of their posts.

S. Kadiri

Skickat: den 13 maj 2017 17:18
It is loading more messages.