Car radio drains battery

Paul Foster

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

Hi all,
Just thought I would make a contribution to this group.

Recently my car was not starting because the battery was flat.
It was charging OK, I had the battery "Tested" as they do it and was told
it was OK.
During the cold spell I left it on charge overnight to get by.
Eventually I measured the current drain at the battery and went around
the car looking for things like boot lights on.
The are a few active electronic circuits when the car is parked.
I unmounted the radio, pulled the fuse and the current dropped to a few
milliamps.

I took out the radio used the car as usual without the charger and the
the car started the next very cold morning fine.

I did think about fitting a switch to the radio but then it would have
needed re-tuning each time I used it.

Yes it was just out of warrenty.

I have fitted a new radio and its fine, no problems.

This is the second time a car radio has done this to me !
I suppose its something like a capacitor goes off.

Anyone in Southampton want a nice car radio/tape with RDS ?

Has it happened to anyone else or am I just "Lucky"

Andrew Willoughby

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In article: <32EA97...@tcp.co.uk> Paul Foster
<pafo...@tcp.co.uk> writes:

> I did think about fitting a switch to the radio but
> then it would have needed re-tuning each time I used it.

If you fitted a resistor in parallel with the switch there
would be some power to the radio even with the switch off.
This might be sufficient to keep the pre-set stations, but
would drain the battery far less. If you used a relay in
place of the switch, powered from an ignition circuit, then
you wouldn't need to 'switch' manually.

--
Andrew

Slow down, relax, enjoy life!
No, not *that* slow, the legal limit will do nicely thanks!

Dr John Betts

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

The radio should be wired in the ignition circuit and therefore
unable to drain the battery when the car is not in use. It should have a
internal backup battery to maintain any preset tuning circuits.
Provided it is switched off, it should never drain a battery overnight.

--
Dr John Betts D...@browser.demon.co.uk London, UK
0181 883 7413

Kit Powell

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Sorry, this is just not true. Our Citroen AX radio (a) sits there flashing a
pretty red LED all the time the ignition is off, (b) requires a 4-digit code to
be inserted after power is removed before it'll work again, and (c) flattened
the battery in 14 days in the car park at Bristol Airport (possibly, I admit,
one of the most hostile environments known (even to aircraft, which seem to
prefer to divert to Cardiff)). It's also, (d), a rotten radio, but that's
beside the point.
--
Kit Powell, Networking and Digital Communications Manager
Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, GB

Jonathan G. Campbell

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Ooops! I see that I have just repeated Kit Powell's point (b)

--J.C.

ava...@globalnet.co.uk

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Dr John Betts <D...@browser.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> The radio should be wired in the ignition circuit and therefore
>unable to drain the battery when the car is not in use. It should have a
>internal backup battery to maintain any preset tuning circuits.
>Provided it is switched off, it should never drain a battery overnight.

....and just how do you think that removable fascia / fixed units keep
their memory, (as opposed to pull-out units)?

These take a constant feed from the battery, which although
insignificant in normal use (around 50ma on average) can flatten a
battery over a longer period of time. Any fault on the memory circuit
is likely to increase the current drain, and hence exaggerate the
problem.

You are indeed correct where fully extractible units are concerned,
but for flip-front or fixed units(which seem most common these days),
your point is a bit out of date!

:-)
Dominic
ava...@globalnet.co.uk

David Roberts

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Jonathan G. Campbell wrote:

> Quite true. In many car radios there is an anti-theft device, after
> disconnection from power for a significant period they need
> reinitialisation via a password / PIN.

Aha, thanks for answering the question I was about to ask.
Significant period it is then.
(The question related to my relief at the continued operation
of my car radio after removing it once for a few hours - I
was never told the code when I bought the car.)

David
--
***************================****************
Right that's enough junk mail.

Chris J Dixon

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

David Roberts wrote:

>Jonathan G. Campbell wrote:
>
>> Quite true. In many car radios there is an anti-theft device, after
>> disconnection from power for a significant period they need
>> reinitialisation via a password / PIN.
>
>Aha, thanks for answering the question I was about to ask.
>Significant period it is then.
>(The question related to my relief at the continued operation
>of my car radio after removing it once for a few hours - I
>was never told the code when I bought the car.)

When I had to remove my car radio, I was stunned to find the
security code written on a piece of paper stuck to the casing.

Maybe the previous owner couldn't think of anywhere else to hide
it?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris...@easynet.co.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

ava...@globalnet.co.uk

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

David Roberts <oss...@sos.bangor.ac.yuk> wrote:

>Jonathan G. Campbell wrote:

>> Quite true. In many car radios there is an anti-theft device, after
>> disconnection from power for a significant period they need
>> reinitialisation via a password / PIN.

>Aha, thanks for answering the question I was about to ask.
>Significant period it is then.
>(The question related to my relief at the continued operation
>of my car radio after removing it once for a few hours - I
>was never told the code when I bought the car.)

David,

After a few hours, it should have required entry of the code to
operate. Some of these units allow the coding to be disabled - sounds
like this might be what's been done to yours.

Dominic
ava...@globalnet.co.uk

Mr. J.S. Greystrong

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

In article <32f2a747...@news.easynet.co.uk>, chris...@easynet.co.uk (Chris J Dixon) writes:

>David Roberts wrote:
>
>>(The question related to my relief at the continued operation
>>of my car radio after removing it once for a few hours - I
>>was never told the code when I bought the car.)

It may have been turned off by the previous owner.

>When I had to remove my car radio, I was stunned to find the
>security code written on a piece of paper stuck to the casing.
>
>Maybe the previous owner couldn't think of anywhere else to hide
>it?

Phillips radios used to come with the code written on a tag on the radio
which was supposed to be removed by the installer, they hardly ever were
though.

John

ims...@aol.com

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

writes:

>Recently my car was not starting because the battery was flat.
>It was charging OK, I had the battery "Tested" as they do it and was told

>it was OK.
>During the cold spell I left it on charge overnight to get by.
>Eventually I measured the current drain at the battery and went around
>the car looking for things like boot lights on.
>The are a few active electronic circuits when the car is parked.
>I unmounted the radio, pulled the fuse and the current dropped to a few
>milliamps.

<snip>

>Has it happened to anyone else or am I just "Lucky"

On my Montego (groan) the 'black box' ECU has failed in a stange mode.
The box emits a continuous high pitched whistle and hold the 'main' relay
energised after the ignition is switched off. The main relay feeds the
inlet manifold heater (mine's naturally aspirated with computer adjusted
carb!) and flattens the battery in a few hours. The short term solution
is to remove the plug on the main relay which appears to reset the ECU and
stops the whine. 300 UKP for a new ECU!

I'd be happier to do without the radio!

Ian <IMS>

Chris Holmes

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

At least some of these radios have two +12V inputs, one to keep the
security code alive and one for the main radio funtions. If the former
id disconnected from the supply for even a few seconds then the security
code has to be entered. The latter should in my opinion be connected to
an accessory feed from the ignition switch. Some makers (eg Volvo)
connect the whole lot up to a permanently live feed, (but then they
haven't worked out how to connect up sidelights properly yet either :-).

With regard to radios draining batteries whilst at he airport. Does the
car in question have an alarm fitted? I was stood in the long term car
park at Heathrow one day when Concorde took off - setting off car alarms
all over the car park! Lots of people comeing home to flat batteries!

--
Chris Holmes Network Manager Sedgehill School London 0181 698 8911

Chris Holmes

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

A friend of mine once want off to Aus for a month and asked me to water
his garden for him.

When I went round I found he had left his car radio playing. It was
still playing about a fortnight later - I was amazed!

Kit Powell

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Chris Holmes <hol...@sedgehill.lewisham.sch.uk> writes:

> With regard to radios draining batteries whilst at he airport. Does the
> car in question have an alarm fitted? I was stood in the long term car
> park at Heathrow one day when Concorde took off - setting off car alarms
> all over the car park! Lots of people comeing home to flat batteries!

Come on, this was Bristol! The only thing likely to set an alarm off would be a
bit falling off a passing plane. (Not that the car actually has one.)

<ancient-mariner>In fact, we boarded an elderly BAC 1-11, and in due course the
port engine was successfully started. After a few minutes, the cockpit door
opened, and a uniformed figure emerged and disappeared aft, apparently opening
the rear door. After a couple of minutes the starboard engine fired up. The
uniformed figure re-appeared and returned to the cockpit -- <uk.d-i-y>I noticed
he had a screwdriver in his hand...</uk.d-i-y> </ancient-mariner>

Chris Ward

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Kit Powell <cc...@cse.bris.ac.uk> wrote:

><ancient-mariner>In fact, we boarded an elderly BAC 1-11, and in due course the
>port engine was successfully started. After a few minutes, the cockpit door
>opened, and a uniformed figure emerged and disappeared aft, apparently opening
>the rear door. After a couple of minutes the starboard engine fired up. The
>uniformed figure re-appeared and returned to the cockpit -- <uk.d-i-y>I noticed
>he had a screwdriver in his hand...</uk.d-i-y> </ancient-mariner>
>--

I often wondered what the flight engineer did.

Chris Ward.
Apply ROT13 to get e-mail address

Derek Tidman

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In article <32F254...@sedgehill.lewisham.sch.uk>
hol...@sedgehill.lewisham.sch.uk "Chris Holmes" writes:

:-A friend of mine once want off to Aus for a month and asked me to water
:-his garden for him.
:-
:-When I went round I found he had left his car radio playing. It was
:-still playing about a fortnight later - I was amazed!

I hired a Mini in Malta (deathtrap) and the wipers had been
wired to come on without the ignition. One rainy night I got
out and left the wipers on and dashed to the Hotel. I went
back to the car the next morning to find someone had lifted
the wiper clear of the window. The wiper was still going and
the car started first time.

--

"73.4 percent of all statistics are made up"

raymon...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2017, 5:50:34 AM2/28/17
Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Capitol

Feb 28, 2017, 6:10:34 AM2/28/17
raymon...@gmail.com wrote:
> Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Possibly. Check the battery connections first as these can give the
effects of a flat battery if corroded.

Dave Plowman (News)

Feb 28, 2017, 6:22:56 AM2/28/17
In article <5f8999b4-84ad-49e7...@googlegroups.com>,
Assuming the charging system is OK, very likely.

You can do a quick check on the charging system by connecting a DVM set to
volts across the battery. It should read something like 14v with the
engine running. If faulty, will be less than 13v.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bill Wright

Feb 28, 2017, 6:45:40 AM2/28/17
> In article <5f8999b4-84ad-49e7...@googlegroups.com>,
> <raymon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had
>> the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not
>> start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?
>
> Assuming the charging system is OK, very likely.
>
> You can do a quick check on the charging system by connecting a DVM set to
> volts across the battery. It should read something like 14v with the
> engine running. If faulty, will be less than 13v.

Or turn the headlights on then start the engine (if it will!). If the
lights brighten the charging circuit is OK.

Bill

Caecilius

Feb 28, 2017, 6:51:20 AM2/28/17
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 02:50:30 -0800 (PST), raymon...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

You may need a new battery. And a new battery would definately fix
the problem. But you don't necessarily need one.

The two key questions are:

1. What is the battery's state of charge?

You can do a quick check with a multimeter after the car has been
standing overnight. Ideal is 12.6v, but if it is down to 12.0v or
below, then it needs charging.

We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
need charging up.

2. Is the alternator charging the battery?

With the car running, the battery voltage should be around 14v.
Certainly above 13v. If it remains at 12.something then the
alternator is probably not working.

It's also possible that the battery is in poor health, and even fully
charged it's marginal.

Dave Plowman (News)

Feb 28, 2017, 9:13:25 AM2/28/17
In article <anoabc97tv65lfkje...@4ax.com>,
Caecilius <nos...@spamless.invalid> wrote:
> We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
> short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
> need charging up.

Is this really the case? I do lots of short trips. The sort where the
engine only gets up to full working temperature with a bit of a de-tour.
And have never had to charge the battery externally.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Bill Wright

Feb 28, 2017, 11:25:26 AM2/28/17
> In article <anoabc97tv65lfkje...@4ax.com>,
> Caecilius <nos...@spamless.invalid> wrote:
>> We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
>> short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
>> need charging up.
>
> Is this really the case? I do lots of short trips. The sort where the
> engine only gets up to full working temperature with a bit of a de-tour.
> And have never had to charge the battery externally.

If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.

Bill

Dave Plowman (News)

Feb 28, 2017, 12:03:16 PM2/28/17
In article <o9489i$76k$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
I could go for months without a 50 mile journey. ;-)

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

JohnW

Feb 28, 2017, 1:18:14 PM2/28/17
Is this a record for Home Owners hub resurrecting old threads ..... 20 years.

Graham.

Feb 28, 2017, 2:00:12 PM2/28/17
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:18:12 -0800 (PST), JohnW
<johnand...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Is this a record for Home Owners hub resurrecting old threads ..... 20 years.

Not really. raymondshoes1@etc is posting via Google Groups, as are
you.

I wouldn't have noticed that it was a followup to a 1997 thread had
you not mentioned it because the wording does stand alone so to speak.

I suppose the Re: was a bit of a clue.

Dr John Betts & Mr J.S. Greystrong sound like redoubtable gentlemen.

Before my time, but only by a couple of years.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d-i-y/PzIQ1J907fk/e9AVJcWt0AwJ

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Brian Gaff

Feb 28, 2017, 2:11:47 PM2/28/17
Or maybe a new alternator or whatever it may not be charging correctly.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
<raymon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bill Wright

Feb 28, 2017, 3:32:10 PM2/28/17

>> If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
>> back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
>> time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.
>
> I could go for months without a 50 mile journey. ;-)

And me. But the vehicle starts instantly.

Bill

Graham.

Feb 28, 2017, 6:19:36 PM2/28/17
I've just got a new petrol engine car and it's amazing how easy it
starts.
The diesel cars I've been driving for the last 10 + years were also
good starters as long as you weren't impatient with their glowplugs.

I was just thinking, what if they tried to put automatic start-stop in
my first car, a Vauxhall Viva?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Fredxxx

Feb 28, 2017, 8:53:03 PM2/28/17
My experience is they will dim considerably during cranking, such it's
impossible to do your comparison.

DVM is the way to go.