Math Trade

reddish22

Nov 28, 2012, 4:49:17 PM11/28/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Weren't we going to try to a math trade a little while ago?

Mark Crane

Nov 28, 2012, 5:04:05 PM11/28/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  The question is whether to try and coordinate with Boardgame Revolution or not.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM, reddish22 <redd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Weren't we going to try to a math trade a little while ago?

Message has been deleted

reddish22

Nov 28, 2012, 7:25:35 PM11/28/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
We should figure that out because I would love to get a copy of Dungeon Petz and have grown tired of Agricola and Fresco

Chris Robbins

Nov 30, 2012, 3:46:43 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I would love to run a math trade, does anyone actually have the
software to do this? I have looked 2 of the 3 links on BGG are dead
and the third doesn't see my Java.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ucboardgamers/-/ycHFayeaODIJ.

Mark Crane

Nov 30, 2012, 4:46:02 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of trusted participants who can run the actually trade software in a verifiable manner.   What would be most useful (in my opinion) is to allow people to meet at the store for pickup and drop off (and hopefully buy something to sooth the sting of not getting what they wanted).

Chris Robbins

Nov 30, 2012, 4:50:30 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I can of course host the drop off and pick up of games.

Chris

Mark Tyler

Nov 30, 2012, 4:50:52 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Whoever does run the math trade should be familiar with this as a minimum:

General Overview:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

Key Tools:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/TradeMaximizer
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG         (Although this tool is technically optional, its use greatly simplifies the process.)

Jeremy Coe

Nov 30, 2012, 5:13:53 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I've run the software before (mostly verifying results and seeing how little changes in my wants affect things) and would be willing to run this if you guys want me to. I'm also more than willing to just participate :)

Mark Crane

Nov 30, 2012, 6:05:38 PM11/30/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Let's have Jeremy run the software and Chris host the physical drop off/pick up.

Let's decide on a date for this.

Who wants to post the boiler plate and create the geek list?

jeremycoe

Dec 2, 2012, 11:48:23 AM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
If I'm running the software I'd probably better do the geeklist itself. I had a few ideas for rules (other than standard ones), but I'm willing to listen to anything
  1. I think we should limit the trade to Board Games, RPGs, Geek Gold, and Boardgame Revolution store credit/gift certificates. Since Chris has given us use of his store, this seems only fair. Chris, do you have a way to let people buy others store credit or gift certificates?
  2. The actual trade should maybe coincide with a normal Friday gamenight, or maybe a special Saturday gameday. If a user can't come to BGR during a specific window it will be their responsibility to get the games to whoever is supposed to receive them. I'm not sure if BGR has room to store games if people can't come then and want to drop their games off before and pick their new ones up after? That would be up to our hosts.
We need to decide on a date. I was thinking Friday the 14th/Saturday the 15th if that would work for people. I'm also willing to do the 21st/22nd, but am afraid that might be pushing it too close to Christmas. Whatever the majority wants to do is fine with me. Chris, what would work for the shop? If you guys want to let me know what you think I'll get started building a geeklist for the trade.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Bagley Kendon

Dec 2, 2012, 3:04:22 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the 14th/15th. Especially the 15th

Chris Robbins

Dec 2, 2012, 3:20:39 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Gift certificates are available and can be purchased for other people.
I Think the 21st and 22nd may be a bit close to Christmas as well to
many people in the store all at one time, however we are open late and
the current plan is to host a game night the 21st. We do have some
room so if there a few that cant make the dates and meet they can
leave the games and I will find a safe spot.

Bartimus

Dec 2, 2012, 3:23:30 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I'll be out of town on the 14/15th but maybe I could leave stuff with someone and pick up when I get back?

Bart

Jeremy Coe

Dec 2, 2012, 5:20:06 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on the geeklist now, we just need to nail down exactly WHEN the trade should occur. It seems like the 14th/15th is the consensus for which weekend, but do we want to do it as part of the normally scheduled game night on the 14th or just sometime on the 15th?

Jeremy

Chris Robbins

Dec 2, 2012, 5:40:32 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com

As far as the store goes Friday would be better. And i can hold games for anyone who can't make it.

Jeremy Coe

Dec 2, 2012, 5:59:12 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Friday the 14th it is then.

Chris, can you do gift certificates for any value or do you have set values?

I'm making the deadlines for the trade Monday the 10th at 10 PM to add games and Wednesday the 12th at 10 PM to submit your wantlist. If you guys want those dates changed at all let me know.

Chris Robbins

Dec 2, 2012, 6:03:34 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com

Gift certificates are for any amount

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 7:05:58 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic.  I can't wait to unload my crappy--eerrrr, priceless heirlooms.

The last time I participated in a local Math Trade, I think Tyler exhibited the same skill that has in face to face gaming.  I think I still have that pile of Heroclix figures.
sent via Ipad. Please excuse brevity and typos.

Jeremy Coe

Dec 2, 2012, 7:18:19 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
The trade geeklist is now live at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/150349/utah-county-holiday-no-ship-math-trade

It's not in the OLWLG yet, but I assume it will be before too long. I just need to start a discussion thread.

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 7:48:10 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Do you want me to post it in the math trade announcements list?

Mark Tyler

Dec 2, 2012, 7:53:00 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see Crane back in his wheelhouse -- trading games rather than playing games.  If only I had a dime for every game Crane traded for, bragged about getting, never played, traded away, and then tried to reacquire.   :)   Okay that was only a slight exaggeration.

I am looking forward to a local math trade.  With no shipping costs, in theory, you can get something of relatively equal value in return.  The secret is not to put anything on your want list that you don't want (i.e. Heroclix figures).

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 7:57:09 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, that is not much of an exaggeration at all.  We don't all have the luxury of a supportive family of rabid game players, and brains capable of consuming 18xx rulesets like they were cotton candy :)

Desire is a fickle thing.  I just sold off seven pounds of Dreamblade figures too.  I'm hoping Looping Louie shows up, or some game that will never realistically get played, like Das Motorsportspiel.

But seriously, does anyone have a copy of Breaking Away they want to dump?

Jeremy Coe

Dec 2, 2012, 8:31:09 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome to post the trade in the announcements thread if you would like.

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 10:36:25 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Another math trade just opened up. Should we just go for it, since
this is local?

Ran

Dec 2, 2012, 10:55:38 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
What holiday could it possibly be? (The holiday that shall not be named... EVAR.)

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 10:57:15 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Winter solstice?
> --
> "utah county boardgamers association" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ucboardgamers/-/S0jSUmfK4WIJ.

Jeremy Coe

Dec 2, 2012, 11:50:47 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I did name it the Christmas math trade originally, but remembered JeffyJeff (OLWLG guy) is VERY atheist and anti-Christmas, and decided it wasn't worth upsetting him :)

Mark Crane

Dec 2, 2012, 11:53:16 PM12/2/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I saw someone that named their office tree, "The Winter Solstice Shrub."

Aaron Lambert

Dec 3, 2012, 10:06:24 AM12/3/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
I have a question about how Math Trades work. If I have several games (let's say around 5) that I would like to offer for trade is it better to lump them together as one entry, or separately?

Thanks,
Aaron

Mark Crane

Dec 3, 2012, 10:20:39 AM12/3/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
If you lump them together, then you're going "whale hunting," i.e.
creating a valuable package that you are hoping to trade for something
awesome, like my Heroclix figures.

However, if the games are all lower in value, then that might make an
effective strategy for trading for lower valued games, like some of
Mark Tyler's 18xx offerings.

MC

Mark Tyler

Dec 3, 2012, 11:24:51 AM12/3/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,

Let's say you have 5 games that you might sell individually for $20 apiece.  Combining games A, B, C, D, and E into one lump creates a $100 value.   Correct?   Well, only if someone else actually wants all 5 games.   More likely someone might already own A and B and not be interested in D, and E.   So they are only interested in C.  Now you get a bunch of people who are interested in part of your lot of games so they are only willing to offer up a single $20 game for your entire lot of 5 games.   Many people may list your batch of 5 games on their want list, but that doesn't help you if none of them are offering anything close to a $100 value that might interest you.  On the other hand, there is a chance some math traders might see your batch of games as a way to get a several games which could be sold or re-traded individually.  In this case you might actually get someone offering a decent deal for you.

One reason to to combine a bunch of games is to save on shipping.  Since shipping isn't an issue here, you might get better overall value by listing your games individually.  One exception might be to combine a base game with one or more expansions.

Several years ago saw a bundle of 8 games listed in a math trade, Quietville, Castle Merchants, Chase, Escalation!, High School Drama!, Hoity Toity, The Settlers of Catan: The Fishermen of Catan, and Die Sieben Siegel.  I was mostly interested in Die Sieben Siegel (The 7 Seals card game).  I offered up The Ark of the Covenant (an extra copy from a Tanga purchase which was worth very little to me).  Somehow through the miracle of the Trade Maximizer, I won that batch of games.  It worked out well as I was able to trade Castle Merchants and Hoity Toity individually in future math trades and my daughters actually liked High School Drama!.   The person trading that batch of games got "I Say, Holmes!" in return.  Maybe that was an out of print gem so it might have worked out for the other party as well as for me.

Good luck,
Mark

jeremycoe

Dec 10, 2012, 10:35:51 AM12/10/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that you have until 10 PM to add games to this math trade. Here's the link for your convenience:

reddish22

Dec 13, 2012, 9:42:22 AM12/13/12
to ucboar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Jeremy! This worked out great!