Allot Communications

David Fifield

Jan 18, 2017, 7:01:38 PM1/18/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com
In investigating obfs4 blocking in Kazakhstan, my colleague found some
evidence pointing to Allot Communications, a DPI company:
https://bugs.torproject.org/20348#comment:184

You might be interested in this timeline of detection updates, which
specifically mentions Tor, Psiphon, obfs4, ScrambleSuit, meek, Signal,
OpenVPN, Freegate, Tunnelbear, and other VPNs.

https://www.allot.com/products/platforms/supported-protocols/#1460974307058-a61550f0-8196 (https://archive.is/AuA8b)

> [...]

> Allot’s latest DART Protocol Pack we revisited and refined these TOR
> transport protocols to assure accurate detection of their use:
>
> TOR ScrambleSuit (pluggable proxy transport protocol)
> TOR Obfs4 (TCP obfuscation layer)
> TOR

> April 11th, 2016
>
> Open Whisper Systems developed one of the most widely respected
> encrypted communications apps called “Signal” which runs on Android and
> iOS devices. Every message and phone call is encrypted and completely
> private without the users having to do anything. Following an audit by
> independent security experts and a nod of recognition by Edward Snowden,
> the app has become popular with high-profile legal departments, cyber
> security professionals and others who require absolute privacy. Want to
> know how much Signal traffic is on your network? Just use Allot’s latest
> DART Protocol Pack with the new granular signatures for:
>
> Signal (Instant Messaging)
> Signal Calls (VoIP)

> June 13, 2016
>
> Private VPN services provided by the Tor project are used by millions
> the world over, including IT professionals, law enforcement,
> journalists, bloggers, business execs, researchers and everyday users
> who want to protect their privacy. A number of applications, like
> bridges and pluggable transports have sprouted up around Tor to improve
> the privacy and the experience. Some Tor browsers provide bridges by
> default. And if not, these tools can be downloaded at any time. A bridge
> is a tool that makes Tor traffic look like any other traffic, such that
> censors and other monitors do not identify it as Tor per se. In Allot’s
> latest DART Protocol Pack, we refined our signature for the Tor obfs4
> safe transport, to assure accruate identification of this kind of
> traffic on your network:
>
> Tor Obfs4

> August 3, 2016
>
> VPN applications that allow Internet users to maintain their privacy
> online have become quite popular on Android and iPhone devices. As these
> tools get easier to use, they also proliferate, giving mobile users lots
> of choice regarding how private and anonymous they want or need to be.
> In addition to the many anonymizer applications that Allot already
> supports, Allot’s latest DART Protocol Pack adds granular signatures
> that enable you to track usage of these global VPN services:
>
> VPN Master (Android)
> TunnelBear (iPhone)
> Hotspot Shield (Android, iPhone)

> September 12, 2016
>
> A few weeks ago, we announced that TunnelBear had been added to our
> signature library, enabling detection of this popular VPN application on
> iPhone devices. In Allot’s latest DART Protocol Pack, we’ve refined this
> signature to identify TunnelBear on Android devices as well, giving you
> a more complete picture of who’s using TunnelBear and how much traffic

Eric Wustrow

Jan 19, 2017, 12:17:28 AM1/19/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone from the privacy/anticensorship community ever had access to this or other DPI boxes that do this kind of detection? I'm mostly curious to get the binaries (or source code!) that implements this detection; reverse engineering this would teach us an awful lot about what lengths these companies/countries go to, and how we could better design protocols to withstand detection/fingerprinting.

How expensive are these "high end" DART boxes? And what's their return policy?

David Fifield

Jan 19, 2017, 12:54:55 AM1/19/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:17:25PM -0700, Eric Wustrow wrote:
> Has anyone from the privacy/anticensorship community ever had access to this or
> other DPI boxes that do this kind of detection? I'm mostly curious to get the
> binaries (or source code!) that implements this detection; reverse engineering
> this would teach us an awful lot about what lengths these companies/countries
> go to, and how we could better design protocols to withstand detection/
> fingerprinting.
>
> How expensive are these "high end" DART boxes? And what's their return policy?

I didn't find any prices online. I would suppose that companies like
this are more interested in selling you a support contract than in
selling you hardware, so they want you to call and talk to a
salesperson. (That's just my guess, though.)
http://www.allot.com/mobile/request-a-quote/
I happened to also find a reseller:
http://www.allotworks.com/

Back when we were looking at Sophos Cyberoam devices, Nicholas Weaver
bought one of their SOHO firewall/routers. I inspected it, though, and
it didn't have the Tor-blocking feature we had observed in one of their
more production-oriented firewalls.

I seem to remember that Brandon Wiley once had physical access to some
censor devices, but I don't remember the details.

Buying something second hand, e.g. off eBay, could also be an option.

Vinicius Fortuna [vee-NEE-see.oos]

Jan 19, 2017, 2:20:29 AM1/19/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com

Philipp Winter

Jan 20, 2017, 4:54:56 PM1/20/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:54:45PM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
> Back when we were looking at Sophos Cyberoam devices, Nicholas Weaver
> bought one of their SOHO firewall/routers. I inspected it, though, and
> it didn't have the Tor-blocking feature we had observed in one of their
> more production-oriented firewalls.

Did you only inspect the UI, or was it possible to remove the hard drive
and inspect the file system or even code? I wonder how many vendors
encrypt the hard drive with some on-device key to complicate reverse
engineering.

David Fifield

Jan 20, 2017, 5:18:22 PM1/20/17
to traff...@googlegroups.com
I only looked at the UI and attempted bootstrapping Tor through it. It
was just some cheap wireless access point thing.

David Fifield

Apr 9, 2018, 8:26:17 PM4/9/18
to traff...@googlegroups.com
Last year we were talking about Allot Communications and their "DART"
traffic classification technology that advertises support for a variety
of circumvention protocols:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/traffic-obf/yzxlLpFyXLI/VhuxOZIvAQAJ

Today Qurium published a report on a scandal involving the Azerbaijani
government's use of Allot firewalls for censorship.
https://www.qurium.org/alerts/azerbaijan/corruption_censorship_and_a_dpi_vendor/

The government bought the Allot devices for $3M in 2015 and activated
the DPI in March 2017. Media outlets including Azadliq.info,
Azadliq.org, Meydan.tv and Abzas.net got blocked. Virtualroad.org
recently mirrored the sites on Google Cloud Storage in order to
circumvent the block:
https://storage.googleapis.com/qurium/index.html

Last year, we were talking about acquiring an Allot device for research.
I don't know if anyone followed through on that. The Qurium authors
found an Allot "SG-Sigma E14" device for sale for half a million
dollars(!). But they also found cheaper "NetEnforcer" devices with model
numbers AC-1440 and AC-3000 that also claim to have DART, that go for
only about $500. I couldn't tell, from the writeup, whether they
actually got one or not.