3.6 fav feature

Sean Bird

Dec 10, 2013, 10:52:03 AM12/10/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator
one thing I like the best is the improved ease-of-use for DataQuest. Plug it in and you can now press Enter to collect data. You don't need to either move the cursor or Tab down to the green arrow. Plug in your CBR2, Easy Temp, or other Vernier probe, and press Enter. Clicking on other things (rather than right clicking) makes it so you can zero the sensor (like for force), reverse (like for the ball bounce. Note: zero and then reverse), change the amount of time.

We just we used an hand dynamometer. They changed the collection time to 10 seconds (instead of the default 60seconds) and squeezed as hard as they could. I sent the Quick Poll question asking how they could use calculus and the data to find the average force.  We had recently done "Average Roller Coaster." An improved (for 3.6 and other little edits - Thanks for a comment by Elizabeth M. when visiting my class) version of this is available on our Nspire group website. https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/assignments scroll down to Calculus (but there are something - simulations that may be of interest for other grades, like repurposing the jet.)

For those with the CAS,I was especially excited/interested in the improvements to the physical constants, _Gc, _h, _q. The measurements for the universal gravitational constant, Plank's constant, the charge of an electron have been improved, and TI was paying attention. Nice.

--
Sean Bird
Covenant Christian High School

Sean Bird

Dec 10, 2013, 11:13:04 AM12/10/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator
I posted a video showing the new OS with the Vernier DataQuest app.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75aqhJ-tjg&list=UUuiVyrwobi_XUHRKhUtCfIw

It includes some tips for making a velocity-time match the graph.

Rudolph, Heidi

Dec 10, 2013, 11:50:50 AM12/10/13
to ti-nspire...@googlegroups.com, tins...@googlegroups.com
My comments so far are:
Love the alternating color in the calculator app.
Don't love the lighter color of the Table values.
Don't love the new sliders....

Heidi J. Rudolph
Mathematics Instructor
Orange High School

PLEASE NOTE:  This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and, therefore, may be subject to disclosure upon request under Ohio law.  However, if electronic communications contain student records or medical information, they shall be maintained as confidential to the fullest extent of the law.  If you have received this electronic communication erroneously, please notify the sender immediately.

John Hanna

Dec 10, 2013, 12:08:48 PM12/10/13
to ti-nspire...@googlegroups.com, tins...@googlegroups.com, nspires...@googlegroups.com

I’m a little vague on the ‘page size’ feature. I understand that it’s for optimization on different platforms (computer, tablet, handheld), but I don’t ‘get it’.

My favorite new feature is in Lua scripting. If this is not your thing then kindly ignore this message…

In the Lua Script Editor there’s no longer an ‘Import Image’ button. Rather, there’s a new tab at the bottom called ‘Resources’ where you add an image as a resource. The advantage is that there is a lot of text saved from the editor (the image) so that the editor does not slow down when images are used. The handling of images in coding is a little different now so be sure to read about it the documentation.

Enjoy,

     John Hanna

     jeh...@optonline.net

     www.johnhanna.us

     T3 - Teachers Teaching with Technology

     "the future isn't what it used to be."

Adam Pennell

Dec 10, 2013, 4:12:15 PM12/10/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I am just starting to dig into version 3.6, but I like the updated look of the different pages.  So far the only thing that I find annoying is that top and left is no longer automatically initially selected as the active part of a split window.  Bottom and right seems to be what is selected as active for most (not all) of the page layouts.  This is only a problem with some of the more involved constructions that I have made.  Some of my constructions have a Lua page in one part of a split screen and a Graphs page in the other part.  In those cases, which part of the window which is initially active is important.  Overall, this is not a big deal, but I am going to have to go back and rearrange the page layout on several of my documents.

Adam Pennell

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Sean Bird <covena...@gmail.com> wrote:

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.

Sean Bird

Dec 10, 2013, 4:31:39 PM12/10/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Bottom right! Good observation. I had been perhaps wishfully thinking that it now opened and put the focus on whatever split screen application was in use. This does make me want to consider switching some pages around. (On the handheld you can Swap Applications using Doc, Page Layout.)

Regarding sliders that were mentioned earlier, an excellent improvement that will help ease-of-use is their position is 'locked' (this keeps students from accidentally moving them - an issue I recently heard teachers complaining about).  To move a slider, right click (ctrl menu) the slider. The first option is now Move.

- Sean Bird

MathMara

Dec 11, 2013, 10:17:24 AM12/11/13
to tinspire
My favorite feature is the improved functionality in finding points of intersection.  Try solving abs(-2+(t^2+3t)^(6/5)-t^3)=2 (problem 2 on 2013 AB) graphically on 3.2 and then try it on 3.6 and you'll see what I mean.

I had hoped that they would add the dy/dx feature for polar graphs under the analyze menu.  Maybe next time.

Pat Mara

Sean Bird

Dec 11, 2013, 8:08:07 PM12/11/13
to nspires...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator, tins...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the 'page size'
I discovered under File > Document Properties some clarification of the optimization.

When creating a new document, by choosing the first option you would get compatibility on all platforms. The second choice would be ideal for only Desktop and Tablet.
PageSize.JPG

Nevil Hopley

Dec 12, 2013, 4:54:31 PM12/12/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator
Hello OS3.6 users,

See attached pdf for a quick visual comparison of OS3.6 to OS3.2
It's not all that's changed, but they are the main immediate differences.
Listed below are a few more subtle and not-so-subtle differences that I spotted:

- on a CAS handheld and in emulator mode, it now says 'CAS' top centre of the homescreen, where previously it was blank.

- sliders have 'handles' allowing them to be more easily moved and resized.

- on Graphs page, double tapping in empty space opens up graph entry line.

- on a Graphs page, if you plot the tangent to a function, it automatically displays the equation of that straight line. In OS3.2 you had to request the equation.

- on a Graphs page,  if you have a graph with its label (ie the function) on show, when you click the label, in OS3.2 you edited the function in the label. Now, with OS3.6, the label disappears and you do the editing of the function in the function entry line.

- on a Calculator page, the horizontal line between numerator and denominator of a fraction is bolder than before, plus each line of calculation takes up more vertical space.

- on a Calculate page, there is more blank space to the left of each calculation - like an indent. This may crunch things up a bit if you have a vertical split screen of which the calculator App is one of the panels.

- on a Graphs page, the end axes values are in a smaller font than before, yet the axes labels of 'x' and 'y' are now slightly larger than before.

- on a Graphs page, press MENU > Actions and a new horizontal line has turned up between items 3 and 4, and after the last item. Interesting!

- on a Graphs page, press MENU and a new horizontal line has turned up between items 8 and 9. Interesting again!

- on a L&S screen, when you go up to the top row and then press UP once more, the whole column is not shaded as obviously as it did used to do in OS3.2. Instead, only the top cell goes a darker blue and everything else is only a slight light blue.

- on a L&S screen, the replacement of a diamond with an equals sign as the row header for the 2nd row is a good, logical one.

- on a L&S screen, the name for the cell that you are currently in, is displayed in the bottom left corner, but in a much smaller font than before.

- when you install Navigator OS3.6 software, it preserves all previous class data, and portfolio information from previous install of OS3.2.

- on D&S screen, after you'd added a variable to the horizontal axis the left side bar used to be blank and now we have 'Click to add variable' still on show.

- on a Graphs/Geometry page, points now have 13 different attribute styles, compared to the previous 9 styles.

That'll do for now, in addition to the other issues/changes already mentioned in this thread.

Nevil

OS 3.2 vs 3.6.pdf

Lana Golembeski

Dec 12, 2013, 5:19:19 PM12/12/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Is the Nspire app updated too or just the computer and handhelds? I have not received any updates for the iPad version.

Sent from my iPad
Lana Golembeski

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.
<OS 3.2 vs 3.6.pdf>

Peggy Frisbie

Dec 13, 2013, 4:52:53 PM12/13/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator
I noticed that on a spreadsheet page, when constructing formulas by clicking on cells, you have to hit Enter before the cell click is accepted so that you can type an operation. For instance, to add cells A1 and A2, in the past, you would type =, then click on cell A1, then type +, then click on cell A2, then Enter. Now, there are two additional presses of Enter required: =, A1, Enter, +, A1, Enter, Enter.

Nevil Hopley

Dec 13, 2013, 7:16:37 PM12/13/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
The iPad App just got updated to OS3.8.0 Release 739 today, Friday 13 Dec.
Nevil

Travis Bower

Dec 13, 2013, 7:24:14 PM12/13/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for listening TI! Geometric scale :^)image.png
The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tinspire" group.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This is a transmission from the Santa Barbara Unified School District and may contain privileged and confidential information. It, and any attachments, are intended only for the addressee(s) . If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited by applicable state and federal law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.

Santa Barbara Unified School District - "Every child, every chance, every day."
image.png

Travis Bower

Dec 13, 2013, 7:34:52 PM12/13/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
What is 'Easily capture work on page as image'?

also like link to Google Drive, and pin!
image.png

Travis Bower

Dec 17, 2013, 2:13:05 PM12/17/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com
[This is capturing the page only---not the pagesorter on the side, nor iPad info on the top--just the page.]
Use the Send icon on the top.
image.png

PyramidPower

Dec 20, 2013, 11:07:10 PM12/20/13
to tins...@googlegroups.com, TI Nspire Navigator
I tried to install OS 3.6 in my old clickpad Nspire which had OS3.2 but that failed to upgrade. Now I have no working OS. I then accessed the maintenance menu and formatted the os then tried to reinstall os3.6 and that didn't work. I even tried to install the old 3.2 but that failed to install too. Any ideas on how to install either os? Thank you