Announcing TiddlyWiki version 2.7.2 BETA 1

Eric Shulman

May 3, 2013, 8:51:30 PM5/3/13
to TiddlyWiki
Greetings All!

I'm pleased to announce that TiddlyWiki Classic, version 2.7.2 BETA 1,
is now available for viewing/download, here:
http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta

IMPORTANT: This revision is on an shortened release schedule and,
barring any reports of critical "show stopper" errors, will be
promoted to full release within the next week.

This revision includes the following changes:

* Backstage>import:
See https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/tiddlywiki/issues/116

Importing tiddlers now uses "FileReader" API whenever available
(currently supported by Chrome, Firefox 20+, etc.). This new HTML5-
standard browser-based file I/O handling does not require any special
privileges or security permissions to read contents of files that you
interactively select from your local filesystem, and you can now
successfully import tiddler from files that are outside of the current
folder.

Note: this change only applies when you use the "browse" (or "select
file") button to interactively choose a document from your local
filesystem. If you manually enter (or paste) a local "file://" URL
into the import form (or if FileReader handling is not supported by
your browser version), the existing browser-specific file I/O
functions are used, which still requires security permissions and/or
other add-ons to permit reading of file contents; e.g. TiddlyFox
(FireFox), TiddlySaver java applet (Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.), or
ActiveX (Internet Explorer).

* Internet Explorer:
See https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/tiddlywiki/issues/118

When using IE10 (the current version of IE), special-case handling of
embedded newlines in PRE-formatted blocks is no longer applied. This
corrects a formatting/display error introduced by changes in IE10.
Note: this change only applies to IE10 and above; special handling is
still applied to embedded newlines in IE9 and earlier so there should
be no change to existing content when viewed on IE9 or earlier.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
Lead Developer - TiddlyWiki Classic

Måns

May 4, 2013, 2:44:07 AM5/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

* Backstage>import:
  See https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/tiddlywiki/issues/116

Importing tiddlers now uses "FileReader" API whenever available
(currently supported by Chrome, Firefox 20+, etc.).  This new HTML5-
standard browser-based file I/O handling does not require any special
privileges or security permissions to read contents of files that you
interactively select from your local filesystem, and you can now
successfully import tiddler from files that are outside of the current
folder.

This is *GREAT* news :-)
It seems to work very well - thank you!

I was wondering: Is there any chance that your  AttachFilePlugin could benefit from the same "FileReader" API?

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Yakov

May 4, 2013, 1:20:44 PM5/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

I have an issue about testing new core versions.

Preliminary. When 2.7.1 beta was released, I downloaded it, but haven't given it a try in an actual use. After a while, I decided to add one more TiddlyWiki to those I use and took that one. I put some content (fortunately, not much) there but there was a problem with saving with TiddlySaver (I had to use FireFox instead), so I decided to upgrade the core. I've run the update engine, but what I got was spoiled content (before upgrade, it contained non-latin letters; after -- as well but mostly some hieroglyphs, may be Chinese). There were some piculiar details about it: for instance, some tiddler titles got "created=" parts and texts -- parts of <pre> and may be <div> tags (parts of the storage html code).

Now my point is, I'd like to test the update engine, but currently I have no opporunity to do this. My 2.7.1 TW sais:

"This TiddlyWiki appears to be already using the latest version of the core code (2.7.1).

You can continue to upgrade anyway to ensure that the core code hasn't been corrupted or damaged"

I tried this, and fortunately this haven't spoiled the content. However, to be sure that the new version is "safe", I have to test upgrading from 2.7.1 to 2.7.2 beta. Is there any way to do so? May be it's worth extending the upgrade engine so that it allows two options: update to the main current release or update to the current "nightly built"?

Best regards,
Yakov.

Eric Shulman

May 4, 2013, 3:05:48 PM5/4/13
to TiddlyWiki
On May 4, 10:20 am, Yakov <yakov.litvin.publi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now my point is, I'd like to test the update engine, but currently I have
> no opporunity to do this. My 2.7.1 TW sais:
> "This TiddlyWiki appears to be already using the latest version of the core
> code (2.7.1).
> You can continue to upgrade anyway to ensure that the core code hasn't been
> corrupted or damaged"

The backstage upgrade process only applies to full releases. The
current full release is still TW271. When TW272 is released, a copy
is posted to http://tiddlywiki-releases.tiddlyspace.com, which is then
used as the source for upgrades. Until then, the upgrade process
considers TW271 to be current.

> I tried this, and fortunately this haven't spoiled the content. However, to
> be sure that the new version is "safe", I have to test upgrading from 2.7.1
> to 2.7.2 beta. Is there any way to do so? May be it's worth extending the
> upgrade engine so that it allows two options: update to the main current
> release or update to the current "nightly built"?

To test a beta build you need to first download a local copy and then
import your content.

Go to http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta, and select the "download" link
(or, just right click the link right here and choose "save link
as...". Once the file is downloaded, open it locally, select
backstage>import, and import your content from another document. Then
save-and-reload to verify that your plugins are working.

-e

Scott Simmons

May 4, 2013, 5:44:58 PM5/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Woo-hoo!

Even with the new API, though, it seems that using "browse" to select a file still generates a malformed URI, as detailed here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/70FECqj3otg/00A3dOF-m-sJ

Eric Shulman

May 4, 2013, 7:02:32 PM5/4/13
to TiddlyWiki
> Even with the new API, though, it seems that using "browse" to select a
> file still generates a malformed URI, as detailed here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/70FECqj3otg/00A3dOF-m-sJ

When you select a file with the browse button, the displayed URI text
is actually not used. Rather, an internal object, returned from the
selection dialog, is passed along to the FileReader API. Thus, even
if the URI is malformed, the FileReader should still be able to open
the file that was selected.

Nonetheless, the code should not be creating a malformed URI... I'll
look into this.

-e

Scott Simmons

May 4, 2013, 9:42:45 PM5/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, this is what happens for me:

The display URI is built from the path of the TiddlyWiki itself and the path of the TiddlyWiki I'm importing from.

file:///F:/installers/TiddlyWiki/W:/XAMPP/htdocs/sites/TiddlyWikis/secret-hq/add-ons.tw

(I never noticed this before, likely because I was always importing from the same directory once I knew that cross-directory imports would fail.)

Just like you say, though, the import works fine — even though the displayed URI appears mangled.

Likely unrelated/irrelevant, but — with some TiddlyWikis as the target, I do get this error:

Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference.

After clicking "OK," I get the list of tiddlers and import proceeds fine.

Stephan Hradek

May 4, 2013, 10:24:01 PM5/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Transcluded Tiddler Sections don't get refreshed when changed.

Example:

[[PartlyTranscluded]]
!Section1
not transcluded
!Section2
transcluded
!End

[[transcluding]]
<<tiddler [[PartlyTranscluded##Section2]]>>

This will give you in "transcluding" the proper text "transcludded".

If you change the tiddler "PartlyTranscluded", the tiddler "transcluding" does not get refresehed.

But I already mentioned that before to you ;)

Eric Shulman

May 4, 2013, 11:22:11 PM5/4/13
to TiddlyWiki
On May 4, 7:24 pm, Stephan Hradek <stephan.hra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Transcluded Tiddler Sections don't get refreshed when changed.

i.e, a problem that existed in a previous revision and was **supposed
to be fixed** in TW272b1 -- as per the [[WhatsNew]] tiddler -- is
still broken, or something that worked in a previous revision is newly
broken in TW272b1. Any other problems should be discussed/reported in
a separate thread.

Thanks,
-e

Stephan Hradek

May 5, 2013, 3:49:05 AM5/5/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
;) But now I at least know that you know about the problem. I never got reply before.

FrD

May 5, 2013, 4:02:04 AM5/5/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for new version !

Tested on android 4.2.1 and Firefox 20.0.1 with TiddlyFox : works fine, import OK.

FrD

Le samedi 4 mai 2013 02:51:30 UTC+2, Eric Shulman a écrit :
Greetings All!

I'm pleased to announce that TiddlyWiki Classic, version 2.7.2 BETA 1,
is now available for viewing/download, here:
    http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta

PMario

May 5, 2013, 5:01:15 PM5/5/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Yakov

May 5, 2013, 6:58:15 PM5/5/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

суббота, 4 мая 2013 г., 23:05:48 UTC+4 пользователь Eric Shulman написал:
On May 4, 10:20 am, Yakov <yakov.litvin.publi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now my point is, I'd like to test the update engine, but currently I have
> no opporunity to do this. My 2.7.1 TW sais:
> "This TiddlyWiki appears to be already using the latest version of the core
> code (2.7.1).
> You can continue to upgrade anyway to ensure that the core code hasn't been
> corrupted or damaged"

The backstage upgrade process only applies to full releases.  The
current full release is still TW271.  When TW272 is released, a copy
is posted to http://tiddlywiki-releases.tiddlyspace.com, which is then
used as the source for upgrades.  Until then, the upgrade process
considers TW271 to be current.

Yes, but the point of the current version a being stable I suppose. Upgrading with corrupting content is not very pleasant.. By the way, (back to my 2.7.1 beta -> 2.7.1 example) when TiddlyWiki said that a backup was created I searched in the same folder and haven't found it; only after a while (when I had already recovered my data) I've noticed that there appeared an additional folder to which the backup was put. I think it's also worth to extend the message so that a user will understand where the backup is.

> I tried this, and fortunately this haven't spoiled the content. However, to
> be sure that the new version is "safe", I have to test upgrading from 2.7.1
> to 2.7.2 beta. Is there any way to do so? May be it's worth extending the
> upgrade engine so that it allows two options: update to the main current
> release or update to the current "nightly built"?

To test a beta build you need to first download a local copy and then
import your content.

Go to http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta, and select the "download" link
(or, just right click the link right here and choose "save link
as...".  Once the file is downloaded, open it locally, select
backstage>import, and import your content from another document.  Then
save-and-reload to verify that your plugins are working.

I've tested import with Opera 12.15 and FireFox 20.0.1, win7 x64, imported from both the same local drive and another one (from C: to D:). Everything looks fine, but one detail was unexpected: despite the fact that I disabled AutoSave (chkAutoSave == false), each time in both browsers after I imported, the "Main TiddlyWiki file saved" message appeared and then I saw that txtAutoSave is set back to true. Not very handy for testing, though probably useful for ordinary import.

-e

TonyM

May 6, 2013, 1:56:11 AM5/6/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Thanks for the update. My observations, downloaded empty of the beta.
Opened in FF 20.0.1, yes to TiddlyFox 1.0alpha12 plugin dialogue
Imported all tiddlers from my 2.7.1 fully laden tiddly wiki, save an reload

All seemed to be working fine then lost ability to save all, also for orignal tiddlywik in another tab.

Restarted firefox and every thing seems to be working in both original and new versions

Regards
Tony

julien23

May 6, 2013, 7:27:15 AM5/6/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

Thank you for new version.

I am very pleased too to have "import tiddler from files that are outside of the current folder." back. Same as Måns, it gives me hope to have one day your AttachFilePackage back too.

Regards

Julien

julien23

May 6, 2013, 7:41:25 AM5/6/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Upgrade process worked fine.

I was exited to have the import feature back so I immediately triggered my sync scheme ... but it relies on LoadTiddlersPlugin that have to be fixed as well :(

Thank you anyway ... waiting for the futur

Scott Simmons

May 6, 2013, 9:45:46 AM5/6/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 6, 2013 1:56:11 AM UTC-4, TonyM wrote:

All seemed to be working fine then lost ability to save all, also for orignal tiddlywik in another tab.

Restarted firefox and every thing seems to be working in both original and new versions

For what it's worth, this has been happening for me occasionally as far back as TW 2.5.2.

I've never been able to nail down the exact circumstances or define a procedure that reliably replicates the error, but it tends to surface when I have multiple TiddlyWikis from different locations open in the same browser for long periods of time.

TonyM

May 7, 2013, 1:30:28 AM5/7/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the observation Scott.

It may have something todo with my continuing problem where FF abends on save of my tiddlywiki (TiddlyWiki forced to 0 Bytes in size) after being open for some time. I loose to much when this happens so I am restarting FF 3 + times a day to avoid it.

Experienced in Multiple FF versions, tiddlyFox and tiddlywiki versions.

Tony M

cdent

May 8, 2013, 4:27:34 PM5/8/13
to TiddlyWiki
On May 4, 1:51 am, Eric Shulman <elsdes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I'm pleased to announce that TiddlyWiki Classic, version 2.7.2 BETA 1,
> is now available for viewing/download, here:
>    http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta

As of today this version is now available in the latest release (and
deployment to http://tiddlyspace.com) of TiddlySpace. To make use of
the beta version when viewing a tiddlywiki on tiddlyspace you can
either append a query string argument for the current request, or set
it directly for all visitors with ServerSettings.

The query string argument is appended to the url that loads a
tiddlywiki, for example for one of my spaces:

http://cdent-t13.tiddlyspace.com/?twrelease=beta

or

http://cdent-t13.tiddlyspace.com/tiddlers.wiki?twrelease=beta

Confirmation: http://cdent-t13.tiddlyspace.com/?twrelease=beta#%5B%5Bversion%5D%5D

The use of ServerSettings is described here

http://docs.tiddlyspace.com/ServerSettings%20shadow%20tiddler

Eric can you remind me if alpha or externalized builds are currently
happening? And if not, are there plans?

Thanks.

Scott Simmons

May 8, 2013, 8:33:32 PM5/8/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Tony —

Here's the thread I posted about that weird "wipeout bug" when I first encountered it.  Maybe there's something in my troubleshooting history worth excavating?  Feel free to post over there and let me know how it's similar/different to what you're experiencing.  (This post tells how I changed by back-up strategy to cope.)

PMario

May 9, 2013, 12:21:06 PM5/9/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:27:34 PM UTC+2, Chris Dent wrote:
The query string argument is appended to the url that loads a
tiddlywiki, for example for one of my spaces:

   http://cdent-t13.tiddlyspace.com/?twrelease=beta

I did test this with my @pmario space. But <<version>> macro says 2.7.1. The github repo should have 2.7.2 (beta) allready.
-m

chris...@gmail.com

May 9, 2013, 1:11:22 PM5/9/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Your use of "external" in ServerSettings is confusing the system. You
need to get rid of that in order for you to be able to access the
beta (for which there is currently no externalized version, so it
fails during the "which empty.html do I use" stage of the code).
--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

PMario

May 9, 2013, 3:55:44 PM5/9/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
ok. thx
-m

reakt...@gmail.com

May 11, 2013, 2:43:39 PM5/11/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I was having the same problem, receiving the error message you describe about "Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference". I found out that this problem is not in Firefox 20+ but it is in IE 10. What fixed this for me was to go to tools -> compatibility view settings -> check the option to display all websites in compatibility view

The only reason I'm cool with making that change is because I only use IE on my personal computer to edit my TW. This is so it's a similar experience as I use the same TW at work where they use IE and my access is limited by group policy.

HTH

Warmest Regards,

RB

Eric Shulman

May 13, 2013, 6:33:34 AM5/13/13
to TiddlyWiki
On May 11, 11:43 am, reaktorb...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was having the same problem, receiving the error message you describe
> about "Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference". I found
> out that this problem is not in Firefox 20+ but it is in IE 10. What fixed
> this for me was to go to tools -> compatibility view settings -> check the
> option to display all websites in compatibility view

I believe that I've found (and fixed) the "unable to get property '1'"
error.

I've posted a revised beta build (TW272b2) at: http://www.TiddlyWiki.com/beta

Please download and confirm that the error no longer occurs in IE10+
when NOT using compatibility view. Let me know as soon as you can...
once this fix is confirmed, I will be able to advance TW272 to full
release.

thanks,
-e
TiddlyWiki Classic Lead Developer

reakt...@gmail.com

May 13, 2013, 10:35:30 AM5/13/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tests successful for me.
- fresh TW272b2
- IE10 compatibility view disabled
- no longer receiving "Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference"

Yakov

May 14, 2013, 5:40:40 PM5/14/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott and Eric,

I've got an offtopic question connected to these things you discussed. Could you take a look at the thread [1]?

Best regards,
Yakov.