Danny Barrett

Nov 21, 2012, 8:43:23 AM11/21/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.  I know its not a simple question, but I was hoping to land a bass or two over Thanksgiving weekend.  I will only be able to wade.  Can anyone suggest any locations in VA/DC that are still active.  I know bass are not a cold water fish. Thanks

--
Dan Barrett

Lane Smith

Nov 22, 2012, 12:11:14 PM11/22/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So many bass yesterday in four mile run by the discharge. Google 4mile run and Mt Vernon bridge. There is a parking lot right there. Take the path downstream until you see what looks like a great gash of water being pumped into the river. My new favorite spot is across from the discharge on the south bank where there is a little stream that empties into 4mile through a great. If you're sneaky, you can simply climb over that guard rail look down, drop a line in and nymph or wade out and cast into that area. We had great success yesterday with damsel fly nymphs.

flytimesDC

Nov 24, 2012, 8:55:17 AM11/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Largemouth remain active throughout the winter. Not nearly as aggressive as in the warmer months, but I've had some of my best days fishing in December, January, and February. Just have to fish slower....like really slow.  Two places I'd recommend are the Duck Pond on a sunny day (bass move shallow to feed on bright, winter days and the muddy bottom at DP would warm more quickly than other areas thus making it more bass friendly) and as the water gets colder, 4MR. I had a 30-fish day there last winter when the air temp hovered around the freezing mark...rod eyes were freezing up....had to buy a pair of gloves from the dollar store....so worth it.

Danny Barrett

Nov 26, 2012, 12:47:12 PM11/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So I am making a trip up to Elk Creek this weekend to hopefully have some better luck with some steelhead.  And was wondering if anybody had been up that way lately.  I got skunked over Thanksgiving trying for bass. So far ive found online that people suggest a 6-8wt rod and 9 foot 3x or 4x tippet and nymph/egg patterns.   It will be a first steelhead adventure, any advice on a parking location or what to bring (even it contradicts what ive found so far) would be very helpful.

Jason McMahon

Nov 27, 2012, 10:02:57 AM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was there a couple of weeks ago and there were fish all over but recent reports suggest that it is super tough right now.  I would recommend that your first stop would be Ultimate Angler in Erie.  They have maps and have their finger on the pulse.  There are also multiple streams in PA that you can hit if the Elk is not fishing.  Also, there are some Ohio tribs that are only 45 minutes to an hour away.

As far as gear you are on the right track.  If you are buying flies I would wait and pick them up at Ultimate Angler.  You can also get your license there. It's nice to give them some business especially if they give you some sound advice.

Have fun!

Danny Barrett

Nov 27, 2012, 10:05:50 AM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the bussiness in exchange for advice. I almost always do that for the local shops.  lately ive been tying a ton of my own, so i only buy a few flies so i can get a feel for how they look.  What licences are actually needed, that confused me.  I have fished trout streams in PA, but they were not Tribs of Erie.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Dan Barrett

32 Highland Ave.
Morgantown, WV 26505

TomG

Nov 27, 2012, 10:57:02 AM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was fishing up there earlier this month.  It started slow but after some rain the fishing really picked up.  My recommendation is that you checkout www.fisherie.com.  First check out the latest fishing reports and conditions on the "Fishing Reports" section, then take a look at the "Stream Description" section to see what the streams  are like and finally, go to the "Angler Maps" section to download and print maps for each stream there which shows all of the stream access parking areas.

If you are going to be fishing Elk Creek for the first time I recommend you go to the Folly's End Campground access (see the Upper Elk Creek map).  This is a private campground that allows free public access to the stream.  There is also a good fly shop on the premise where you can not only get local flies but also good advice.  From the fly shop you can go up or downstream to find good fishing waters.  During the peak stlhd runs this area can get very crowded but this late in the season should not be a problem.

Jason McMahon