Unknown Catch in Four Mile Run

Shawn

Sep 17, 2012, 9:22:05 PM9/17/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I've posted in here but I wanted get some input on to what kind of fish the big blue guy is. He took a surface popper just like a bass and bluegill and I have him laid down next to my #6 rod. Made some good runs like a carp for about 4-5 minutes and would love to know exactly what it is. I included the photo of the bass as you can see there was a small nick on him, probably from the heron that was fishing along side me. Thanks for the help.
P9170002.JPG
P9170004.JPG
P9170005.JPG

Michael Smith

Sep 17, 2012, 9:28:45 PM9/17/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Shawn
East-Slope Brownbow and a Dolly Brookcutt. =)

--
Michael Smith, CISSP-ISSEP
ryb...@ryzhe.ath.cx @rybolov

Sent from my Internet-enabled toaster. Please excuse the crumbs.

Rob Snowhite

Sep 17, 2012, 10:44:04 PM9/17/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a Nile tilapia ??

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 17, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Shawn <swea...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

This is the first time I've posted in here but I wanted get some input on to what kind of fish the big blue guy is. He took a surface popper just like a bass and bluegill and I have him laid down next to my #6 rod. Made some good runs like a carp for about 4-5 minutes and would love to know exactly what it is. I included the photo of the bass as you can see there was a small nick on him, probably from the heron that was fishing along side me. Thanks for the help.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

<P9170002.JPG>
<P9170004.JPG>
<P9170005.JPG>

Gaucho Fly

Sep 17, 2012, 11:22:53 PM9/17/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Definitely looks like a Tilapia, and would make sense given the snakeheads were also a food fish import... Probably from the same folks that brought us snakeheads. I have heard stories (urban legends?) of local buddhist temples locally paying fish mongers to release live fish into the Potomac as some type of karmic offering.... Makes me wonder if there was/is some truth given these new arrivals....

Deadbait

Sep 17, 2012, 11:37:26 PM9/17/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's def a Tilapia. Hope you took him home and ate him, definitely an alien species. And get this--its not even native to Asia, its an invasive species there too.

"Many species of tilapia are amazingly adaptable and this makes them especially prone to becoming problematic invasive species. Quite a few tilapias can adapt to brackish conditions and some are even capable of living where the salinity is 35 ppt, the average salinity of sea water."

Miles

Sep 18, 2012, 8:36:07 AM9/18/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nile Tilapia -- Oreochromis niloticus.  http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/projects/tilapia_salinity.html

I would guess this guy was dumped, rather than being part of a population. On the other hand, the lake down the street from my parents house got tilapia -- one year I saw a couple, the next year the lake was full of them. This is in central Florida. My understanding is that tilapia are sensitive to cold water, so it's surprising to see one this far north. The tilapia in my lake would not take any flies, so good for you bagging this guy.

I am not sure that I would eat a tilapia that grew up in the Potomac system. They are omnivorous, and eat a lot of the same gunk that carp and catfish do. I would follow the same recommendations as those species: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/DEE/PublicHealthToxicology/Advisories/PotomacRiver.htm

They are mediocre eating, anyway.

--Miles

Shawn

Sep 19, 2012, 11:40:45 AM9/19/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your input, all of you are correct that it is a Nile tilapia; I received verification as such from VDGIF yesterday. The biologist's thoughts are that it won't survive the winter. Out of curiousity, has anyone else had similar catching in the Potomac tributaries?

Jeff Silvan

Oct 14, 2012, 3:47:51 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm about 90% certain I saw two more of these swimming together at 4MR today right next to the discharge. I'm still new to fishing this area, so I crossed over to the discharge side's bank to get a better idea of the bottom structure where the discharge enters, and I saw two fish that looked like that mixed in with the sunfish and gizzard shad. At first I thought they were just big sunfish, but then I realized they were just way too big and not quite shaped right. I didn't catch them, so I can't confirm, but not sure what else they would've been. They didn't look like crappie, but looking through the water, it's hard to tell.

Carl Zmola

Oct 14, 2012, 4:21:28 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Silvan
I hope it isn't tilapia,  Could they have been white perch?
--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

TurbineBlade

Oct 14, 2012, 5:54:06 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Silvan
I got this yellow perch yesterday morning - ;)

First time a 4MR wade fishing.  I have to say that it's really not a bad little stream to fish and it appears (from reading these threads) that a very wide variety of fish can be caught here!  I saw the often mentioned 5 million shad of some kind at the outfall, but the real kicker were the 2 huge largemouth bass that were chasing a hooked bluegill I was brining in.  I just about went into shock for a minute, but darned if I can hook one of these dudes....just not good enough with the fly rod.

Gene

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:40:45 AM UTC-4, Shawn wrote:
Thank you all for your input, all of you are correct that it is a Nile tilapia; I received verification as such from VDGIF yesterday. The biologist's thoughts are that it won't survive the winter. Out of curiousity, has anyone else had similar catching in the Potomac tributaries?
--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
yellow perch 4MR 2012.JPG

Lucas Rudd

Oct 20, 2012, 3:05:57 PM10/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Shawn, ryb...@ryzhe.ath.cx
dude, that's a nice cichlid. Caught one like that 2 weeks ago in 4 mile run. looks like a peacock cichlid (not peacock bass).

Lucas Rudd

Oct 20, 2012, 3:07:18 PM10/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
cichlid, lots of them around, try dave's cricket in first pool under chain bridge in spring

r...@robsnowhite.com

Oct 20, 2012, 3:25:47 PM10/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Big white cichlid in 4mr today

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Lucas Rudd

Oct 21, 2012, 7:31:20 PM10/21/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

 Nice catch Rob

Hendrick

Oct 29, 2012, 3:05:25 PM10/29/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Where are y'all parking when you hit Four Mile Run? I fish Roaches Run quite a bit because it is on my way home from work on the GWNP. I'd like to add 4MR to the repertoire.

Jeffrey Silvan

Hendrick

TurbineBlade

Oct 29, 2012, 5:36:41 PM10/29/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I just caught that same nile tilapia again recently at the outfall.  He took a #10 black nose dace streamer and I fought that sucker for about 8 minutes on my 6 weight!  Best fight ever for me on the fly rod -- if they were native and I could target them reliably I'd do it in a heartbeat ;).

My wife took a nice smallmouth bass there too --

Pictures are on a traditional, disposable camera so I haven't developed them yet.  I trashed our digital camera so I've gone old school ;).

Gene

Bruce Mathews

Oct 30, 2012, 6:26:12 PM10/30/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Two questions about fishing the discharge area of 4MR:

1) Is there a problem parking in the lot off Mount Vernon Ave by the soccer field?  Looks like a shorter walk.

2)  I walked down to the end of the soccer field and saw the rock covered incline down to the creek.  Is the bottom firm there or gooey?  How gooey?

Prior to this high water there was a tree grounded in mid-stream opposite the discharge.  Is this where most folks start fishing?

I have got to get out fishing more.   My solunar chart said Monday mid day was best for this month.  It seemed better for forecasting hurricanes in NJ.

On Monday, October 29, 2012 3:11:00 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:

Most park either at Pier 1 or on the little side street next to the Toyota dealership.

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

Oct 30, 2012, 7:03:47 PM10/30/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Mathews
Hi Bruce,

That dog park with the "lone outhouse" is the place where my wife and I park to fish 4MR -- there's no problem whatsoever with it.

You can literally just suit up and wade out right there, or you can walk down the path a very short distance and hop in there right in front of the outfall.  It's somewhat muddy when you first step in from the bank, but it gets more solid as you wade out.

Don't overthink it -- 4MR is the most simple place to fish I've EVER fly fished.  No exaggeration.

Have fun!  If you catch something interesting, post it!

Gene
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Colby Proffitt

Dec 30, 2015, 9:42:34 AM12/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Shawn,

I'd like to use your tilapia picture for my blog, but wanted to ask for your permission first. Let me know if I can use it.

Thanks,
Colby