Is it wrong...

Nedak

Mar 25, 2013, 7:43:57 PM3/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
or better yet, how wrong is it.

Just getting into fly tying.  Preparing for trip to USVI next Monday.  My 7 year old walks in my office and sees the fur on the floor and asks "are those my American Girl doll rugs?"

I told her no they were for my new flies I was tying.  One is some kind of hide the other a synthetic which I may give back.  I hope she does not notice that I also hit the craft box hard.

Now I am just waiting for my wife to find the two squirrel tails I scavenged off the golf course the other day...

Lucas Rudd

Mar 25, 2013, 8:33:17 PM3/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
While your at it, cut the tails off of some roadkill deer

namfos

Mar 26, 2013, 8:51:01 AM3/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just be sure not to store the materials you gather via "field recovery" in the household freezer.  That's a deal breaker (unless the spousal unit is just as avid a fly tyer as you) or so I've been loudly and frequently warned. (more like ultimatum)   ;-)

GSFeder

Mar 26, 2013, 11:24:59 AM3/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark --

That's one more reason to have a separate fridge/freezer in the garage or basement -- for cold beverages and road pelts.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Dalton Terrell

Mar 26, 2013, 6:44:01 PM3/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am sure it went over well when you explained that those weren't her American Girl doll rugs but just some hair you are using to make Merkins.

namfos

Mar 27, 2013, 11:28:33 AM3/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Greg:  Thanks, that's a breakthrough!  Now I know what to do with the erstwhile dormitory fridge of my daughters now resting down in our basement.  ;-)

namfos

Mar 27, 2013, 11:30:50 AM3/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

Lucas Rudd

Mar 27, 2013, 7:17:20 PM3/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a seperate fridge/freeser for my fish and roadkill too. The best fly pattern ever is the Live deer hair frog, hold the deer hair. You tie a frog to your hook with string anf hope it stays on. Bass love them!

Richard Lin

Mar 29, 2013, 10:51:39 PM3/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

My daughter has own fish tank - with 40+ fishes. Is it wrong for me to test my little dry flies (size 22-24) in it? I am attempting to try it but......I don't have guts...

Richard

--

http://www.tpfr.org
---

Michael Smith

Mar 29, 2013, 11:07:50 PM3/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  If you foul-hook one, you have to explain to her why you killed her pet.

Lucas Rudd

Oct 29, 2013, 7:26:56 PM10/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a tiger oscer. I test my flies out in his tank with really fine line an he is big enough to break it So it aint wrong. just throw the fish back or stick them in the bio wheel