Very, Very Local Fishing....

569 visningar

Trent Jones

oläst,
17 juni 2012 21:08:102012-06-17
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
At some point a few months ago I decided it would be a nice challenge to see how many steps I would have to take from my front door to catch a fish. I figured it couldn't be to far as I live in Arlington and Four Mile Run passes close by. On the other hand its the section that is non-tidal and pretty much turns into class V rapids every time it rains. I had half forgotten about this until it came up again about a week or so ago on drive to fish Beaver Creek in MD, with fellow TPFR member Miles Townes (Beaver Creek was high and off color, but we did manage one feisty Brown Trout).

So, this past Thursday I decided I had just enough sun light left to answer the question of how close I live to a fishing hole. I grabbed my 3 weight and reel, chucked a few Adams Parachute and beetle patterns into the brim of my hat, grabbed my hemo/nippers and a spool of 5x. Knee high rubber boots and my fishing license completed my gear list and I stepped out the front door. 1,2,3,4,5,6.........I started counting the steps as I walked. At #339 I stopped and talked to a couple from NC. The gentleman told me about fishing for Redfish and the lady told me she likes to eat fish and I told them about the Potomac and how I was counting my steps to the nearest catchable fish... we shared a laugh and parted ways. At about step number 595 while on a bridge I noticed three deer standing right where I wanted to be casting from. I snapped a picture and charged down to the water anyways (sorry Bambi, important fishing expedition going on here!)

At waters edge I was at step #648. At my feet were a bunch of fish I had just spooked. I made a few casts and nothing. I looked up stream and saw a rise. I took three steps into the water to get a good angle and on the next cast, wham! A nice 4-incher...with matching good looks!

How many steps from the front door? 651

I was pretty pleased with the result and fished upstream for maybe 75 yards, picking off fish every couple of minutes. I spooked a Blue Heron along the way and also shared the stretch with a raccoon who was busy on the opposite bank. It was finally just two dark and bats were flying close enough that I thought they were chasing my fly, so I called it quits. As I put the fly in the hook keeper I was confused on how break lights could be reflecting off the water from this distance from the bridge...I looked up to see hundreds of fire flys lighting up.

I took 651 steps from my front door and saw 3 deer, a raccoon, a blue heron, bats, a fireworks display courtesy of a battalion of fire flies, AND....caught a bunch of scrappy little Sunfish....it was a freaking awesome fishing trip!

Sooooooo, when a friend tried to chuck a guilt trip on me over breakfast this morning by saying "you never take me fishing"....I responded with "I will take you fishing after breakfast"....the response I received was, "whatever".

We went back to my place and grabbed the 3 weight witch was still strung up with an Adams and walked the 651 steps to Four Mile Run (I didn't actually count this time, that was just for effect) and spent two catching a bunch of sunnies.

If you look around you may be surprised at how close your next fishing opportunity could be.

Attached are a few pictures from my local fishing expedition and subsequent trip.

-Trent
deer (Small).jpg
blue1.bmp
blue2.bmp
ablue (Small).bmp
tblue (Small).bmp

Daniel Davala

oläst,
18 juni 2012 08:27:452012-06-18
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, awesome story Trent, well told!  I am off tomorrow and am inspired to do the very same thing, in fact I already fish a nearby creek sometimes on our family walks but have never counted the steps.

I foresee this being the start of a pretty fun thread - HOW MANY STEPS FROM YOUR FRONT DOOR CAN YOU CATCH A FISH ON A FLY?  I challenge ALL TPFRers to answer just that.  Tell a story if you'd like, or simply supply a number and a picture.  Can't wait until tomorrow and my next "very, very local" adventure!  Great idea Trent!

Dan Davala

-Trent

Eric Y.

oläst,
18 juni 2012 09:47:592012-06-18
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Pretty good idea going on here... I just tried it this morning. 48 steps for a sunny and 53 steps for a small LMB. I'm cheating though - I'm at my folk's farm visiting for fathers' day yesterday and my mother's birthday tomorrow.

Daniel Davala

oläst,
19 juni 2012 16:49:532012-06-19
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am very fortunate to have the day off today, so this morning VA and I decided to set out on foot and measure just how close we live to the nearest fly rod fishery!  We have actually fished this little stretch of Little Rocky Run many times before on family walks, but it had never occurred to us to count the steps until Trent told his story.  So we strung up our little three weight, grabbed 5 dry flies, some tippet, and my little scissors/forceps and crested the threshold - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9..........

It took us 1030 steps to get to the bridge overlooking the water where we could see the occasional fish darting around.  VA took a moment on the bridge to do, well, what all fly fishers do and survey the situation.  Another 60 steps and we were off the bridge and had rounded the corner to start our descent - 1091,1092,1093.......

At 1118, we got to a good place for VA to sit, and 4 more steps put me on a solid, level, dry patch that gave me a good angle up the stream.  About four casts in my Parachute Adams disappeared in a swirl and I had the first fish on!

Front door to fish on - 1122 STEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Fascinated as always, VA helped me land the fish and we both looked at its colors for a bit before letting it swim away.  The next little guy she actually wanted to hold and did so until he wriggled loose and went lippity, lippity, not very fast back to the water (Peter Rabbit reference for those who haven't read it in a while!).  At this point, my beautiful girl requested that I catch one with purple and pink spots, and I told her I would try.  Instead, I managed a very cool little Rock Bass with brilliant blue accents.  We decided he was pretty enough, and after he swam off we climbed back up the bank and started our walk home.

While there was no need to count the steps home, I did observe that VA takes approx. 1.87 steps for every one of mine, so if she had undertaken this endeavor on her own the total step count would have been around 2098.  That's still very good!

So come on folks, let's hear a few more stories - take a walk!  Take a kid, or a spouse, or a friend, or significant other, or just go solo!  Smile as people stare at you for looking pretty out of place, walking down the sidewalk or roadside with a fly rod strung up.  If they ask, let them know what you are doing and tell them about the club and our unique perspective.  Most important, HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!  I look forward to more reports!

Dan (and Virginia) Davala

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Eric Y. <theeri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pretty good idea going on here... I just tried it this morning. 48 steps for a sunny and 53 steps for a small LMB. I'm cheating though - I'm at my folk's farm visiting for fathers' day yesterday and my mother's birthday tomorrow.

013.JPG
014.JPG
016.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG

Carl Zmola

oläst,
19 juni 2012 18:06:002012-06-19
On 06/19/2012 04:49 PM, Daniel Davala wrote:
> I am very fortunate to have the day off today, so this morning VA and
> I decided to set out on foot and measure just how close we live to the
> nearest fly rod fishery!

Oh my Virginia has growed up. Blink and she's bigger.
Great story.

Carl

Rob Snowhite

oläst,
19 juni 2012 21:39:572012-06-19
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I decided to take part in this local fishing challenge. We have lived on a golf course for 8 years and I've never fished the ponds. Tonight I decided to do this. I was walking out the door with a tall boy of beer when the wife cut me off. We were ending a dinner party. So I walked down to my car, pulled out a 5wt and my mouse fly (I decided I'd do this in style) and download the pedometer app for my iphone (Dan, an Iphone is like an Atari/telephone hybrid). I started walking.

The golf course manager cart passed me and waved, I lowered my rod so he would not see it. I got down hill over greens and what ever else you call golf course parts. I passed red breasted black birds (robins) and a few rabbits. The smell of honeysuckle perfumed the air. I came upon the last group of golfers and had to lay low till they passed. Eventually they moved on and so did the managers cart.

I clocked 699 steps to the first sign of water. The creek feeding the pond. Just minnows and 2 suckers. I moved over the bridge and to the water. I started to cast my mouse and got a nibble. A minute later the first solid bite and I set the hook. First fish from my front steps was 1074 steps according to my phone.

I walked the edges and dodged the bat hatch. I managed 3 more largemouth on the 5wt and mouse fly until my wife called worried about me. 1361 steps until the last bass.

Here are the pictures.

  1. Baby lady and me at the tidal basin today
  2. 1st bass near my house
  3. 1st bass again
  4. 1st bass with mouse in mouth
  5. 2nd bass