New to fly fishing in Rockville

Brian Walsh

Sep 22, 2012, 12:37:34 PM9/22/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Hello all.   I am brand new to fly fishing and have very limited fishing experience. I am very interested in learning the art of fly fishing. Trent at Orvis in Bethesda let me know about this group.

I purchased a wild water 5/6 starter kit which came with 5 weight line. I have practiced a couple of times in the yard. Unfortunately the tip section of the rod broke without cause,  but the company quickly agreed to replace it for free. So, back to my learning,  I was hoping to get some tips on some good places near Rockville where I could practice on the water. I am looking at going up to the gunpowder River in October,  but would like some familiarity with my rod and reel. Thanks and I look forward to read all your exploits!

namfos

Sep 23, 2012, 10:02:34 AM9/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You could fish from the bank at Lake Needwood; it's too bad the County closed the Boathouse last week.  There's also Widewater up on the C&O in Potomac at Great Falls.

Richard Lin

Sep 23, 2012, 11:04:13 AM9/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Yeah.. Needlewood is good place. I caught this bass last week. But some tall grass will grab your line.

Clopper lake is better – it has some good opening spots with grass cut.  But you might have to pay fee when someone is in the entrance booth.

Richard

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

20120912_180123.jpg

Brian W.

Sep 24, 2012, 8:36:08 PM9/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions!  I am going to head out to Needwood this weekend.  I have tried spinner fishing a couple times and you are right about the grass

I might also try Lake Frank, unless there are some problems there???

I have never been to Clopper lake, I will try that out, may go there instead of Needwood this weekend.  Maybe they don't have the algae problem as well.

As far as the Great Falls, I have been there a couple of times, but I was never thinking about fishing.  I usually go to the main parking lot off of Falls Road.  Would I do the same for fishing or are there better locations with less people?

Thanks again for the tips!

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:04:22 AM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

Yeah.. Needlewood is good place. I caught this bass last week. But some tall grass will grab your line.

Clopper lake is better – it has some good opening spots with grass cut.  But you might have to pay fee when someone is in the entrance booth.

Richard

John L III

Sep 25, 2012, 8:13:14 AM9/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brian:

Welcome to flyfishing. Pond fishing is a good way to start. Just need some small poppers that you can sometimes buy at Dicks. Check google maps to locate a pond near you. The big lakes are also good. Some of the ponds may cool faster than the bigger lakes so the lakes will fish longer into the fall.

You might also check out the Seneca Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited. We have a certified FFF casting instructor (Dave Cleaves) who gives free casting lessons on the first Sat of every month at the lake in Great Seneca State Park off Clopper Rd. Check the chapter website or mail me. Park at the big playground and then walk down to the lake. you cant see the casting until well down the path approaching the water.

thanks.

namfos

Sep 25, 2012, 8:34:22 AM9/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Never had much luck at Lake Frank - north east end of it is shallow and very heavily silted.  Deepest part is at the dam and it's a fairly steep climb down (and back up) the face of the dam.  If you try it, let us know.