Probably redundent and definately subjective question on fly selection

103 visningar

Aaron O

oläst,
26 juli 2012 09:50:082012-07-26
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I normally fish using a 7wt 10 rod using 2/0 clousers, half and halfs, lollypops, large walt poppers, etc...  I am currently only have access to a 5 wt and a 6 wt for small mouth fishing on a river or large lake out of state.  Should I be concerned that these flys are too large and heavy?  I'm assuming that I'm over analizing this but I dont want to waste my limited time fishing.  I do have some smaller wooly buggers and a couple other flies but all of my success in the past has been with the larger streamers.

Greg Feder

oläst,
26 juli 2012 10:17:212012-07-26
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aaron --

I defer to the more experienced and actually certified folks in the club, but I think you can throw some pretty big stuff with your 6 wt.  You might use a shorter, stiffer leader, and the flies may land a little hard, but bass aren't leader shy, and that ker-plop is often what gets their attention anyway.

Bring your 6 wt. out to a local waterway or grass field and try it.

Cheers,

-- Greg (who has only 4wt and 6wt outfits)

I normally fish using a 7wt 10 rod using 2/0 clousers, half and halfs, lollypops, large walt poppers, etc...  I am currently only have access to a 5 wt and a 6 wt for small mouth fishing on a river or large lake out of state.  Should I be concerned that these flys are too large and heavy?  I'm assuming that I'm over analizing this but I dont want to waste my limited time fishing.  I do have some smaller wooly buggers and a couple other flies but all of my success in the past has been with the larger streamers.

John Bilotta

oläst,
26 juli 2012 10:31:362012-07-26
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
agree, a 6 wt is fine.
john

Aaron O

oläst,
26 juli 2012 11:37:162012-07-26
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both Greg and John,  I  apprceiate the info and will go with it.

Carl Zmola

oläst,
26 juli 2012 17:18:532012-07-26
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Aaron O
Aaron,

I'm trying to figure out what you are asking, so I would try and answer
the multiple potential questions.

1) is a 2/0 clouser or large popper too big for a 6wt rod? No, not if
you can cast it :-). It may be easier to cast with a 7wt or heavier
rod, but the difference between a 7wt rod an 6wt rod isn't that much
difference anyway.

2) Are the flies to big for the water you want to fish? Maybe. Where
are you fishing, and for what species. For trout, they are way to big
:-) Try to get local knowledge on what type of flies to use. Try one
size and if that doesn't work, move to something else.

I've fished lead head jigs with a 4wt because that is all I had
available. The only way to be sure you don't catch fish is to not go
fishing. If you can cast it to where the fish are, then don't worry
about it.

Carl

Aaron O

oläst,
27 juli 2012 08:29:022012-07-27
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Carl,

     Thanks for the good info, Sorry if I was a little vague in my questioning, I was mainly trying to figure out if I could use those flies on the 6 wt  (I figured I could use on that size) and my 5 wt.  The 5 wt. was the one I was more concerned about but I will give it a try until I can tie some smaller streamers.  I currently dont have smaller streamers other than some wooly buggers but I have not had any success with them.  As far as the fish type, I do understand what you mean .  I did mention that I was going for small mouth in small lakes and river but maybe I should have clarified it was bass with some possible striper schoolies.  I did not have much more information at that point due to not visiting the site yet.  I will actually  be adding a post about yesterdays trip right after this one.  I plan on going back today to give it another try but please check out the post to help explain more.

     As far as fishing my 5 wt., I mainly have some dry flies, a couple nymphs and those woolies I mentioned earlier but unfortunately I dont have any putty to help keep it down.  I may have to go a little MCGYVER (for those under 30, it may involve chewing gum, paper clips and a little mental grease)and figure something out.

Will keep you informed,  :)

Aaron

Danny Barrett

oläst,
27 juli 2012 10:22:582012-07-27
till tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Personaly for added weight. A lil split shot like bass fishing weigh goes a long way.  Other guys on here might not agree but i tie massive heavy streamers and toss them with even my 4 weight.  You just gptta wath your back cast and keep your loop big. You givevupva little distance and might smack the back of your head a few times but its worth it when you hook a big fish.

Danny Barrett
dannyt...@gmail.com
(540) 222-8064

> --