Sling Packs / Alternate to vests

Jeffrey Silvan

Nov 27, 2012, 3:09:51 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to round out my Christmas list, and I figure some type of alternative to a vest would be a good addition. The pocket in my waders is usually enough storage for most of the fishing I do, but falls a bit short when I want to be out longer and bring a small snack and water - or if I want to bring my spare spool with my sinking line. I'm at a bit of a toss up between the Simms Dry Creek Flats Pack or the Simms Headwaters Sling Pack. Anyone have any input?

Scott Stankus

Nov 27, 2012, 3:12:45 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not to add confusion to the issue, but I love my Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

r...@robsnowhite.com

Nov 27, 2012, 3:13:23 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a big fan of the Patagonia sling with bottle holder. Very well thought out product. I would have picked that up before the Orvis digi camo one if I had known. The new Orvis sling with a bottle holder is a bit too big.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffre...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to round out my Christmas list, and I figure some type of alternative to a vest would be a good addition. The pocket in my waders is usually enough storage for most of the fishing I do, but falls a bit short when I want to be out longer and bring a small snack and water - or if I want to bring my spare spool with my sinking line. I'm at a bit of a toss up between the Simms Dry Creek Flats Pack or the Simms Headwaters Sling Pack. Anyone have any input?

Jeffrey Silvan

Nov 27, 2012, 3:19:58 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thanks for the suggestions and quick responses. The Patagonia Stealth Atom one looks amazing. Thanks!

Eric Kruel

Nov 27, 2012, 4:10:00 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I also have the Orvis safe passage sling pack, it gets the job done but it could be better.  I just looked up that Patagonia sling, I wish I would have known about that one sooner.  The water bottle holder is a great feature.  I try and cram one in the Orvis sling and it is a pain to keep zipping and unzipping to get to it.  I also like the fold down work station on the Patagonia bag that the Orvis does not have.  The one thing that I didn't like at first with the sling is that the strap goes over my right shoulder which is my casting shoulder.  I guess I am getting used to it now but it is something to consider.  It does have some good places to hook zingers and other accessories on to, and I like the magnetic forceps holder on the strap.

Greg Feder

Nov 27, 2012, 4:34:53 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second Eric's analysis on the Orvis sling.  I wish I had a better way to carry a water bottle, and that I'd realized the sling goes over the wrong shoulder.  The nice thing about it not being too big is that I have to be a bit more selective about what I bring, which is better for weight.

I also have a chestpack/backpack, that is great (hydration compatible), but the downside to chestpacks is not being able to see your feet when wading.

Cheers,

-- Greg

---

Vic Velasco

Nov 27, 2012, 9:46:54 PM11/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have the Patagonia Atom Sling (the fishing specific one) and it is all the storage I could ever want.  I primarily used it fishing flats for trevally and bonefish so I spent the extra on the fishing version, but if your are going to fish local waters, I think the regular version should be more than adequate (and now that I said that, I may pay a visit to the Georgetown Patagonia this weekend...)

Veedadoo (I think that's how it is spelled) also has a modular sling that looks to be a good product.

Brian Ziff-Levine

Nov 28, 2012, 1:43:26 AM11/28/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

If you're short like me, make sure whatever you're looking to buy is water tight. Sling packs ride too low to stay clear of the water when wading deep. The Orvis sling that was purchased for me as a gift now serves as my sister's travel bag after repeated fly box dunkings.

Mako

Nov 28, 2012, 8:50:23 AM11/28/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Even though this is always a very personal coke vs. pepsi kind of thing, I still always seem drawn toward chipping in.

The one thing I could never understand is why Patagonia and Orvis make the sling packs go over the right shoulder.  I'm right handed and prefer the strap over my left shoulder.  I have an older William Joseph sling that goes over the left.  I think their newer models do as well...or are ambidextrous.

But after much trial and error I've settled on a Fishpond Waterdance lumbar pack.  Good amount of storage, two water bottle holders (using them both makes is a bit heavy, admittedly), fold-down bench, and has a strap that can make it into a makeshift sling pack you can shorten up if you are wading deep.

Bruce Mathews

Nov 28, 2012, 9:25:02 AM11/28/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have the Orvis sling pack and I guess I didn't read the instructions.  I always wear it around my body with the strap over the left shoulder and my head thru the strap.  This lets me slide the pack around my body to get into it (the zippers come up on top ) and I never use the second strap.  I looked at the Patagonia web site and I under stand how a sling pack would bother you if you cast right handed.  I'll continue to wear mine the wrong way - I like it.

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

Nov 29, 2012, 8:12:56 AM11/29/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Mathews
I have a chest pack I picked up from The Fly Shop for $39. Its got a ton of room, packs into a hiking back pack really well, has two areas for water bottles, a fold down flap in the front for easy access to flies and a lot of other cool features. I looked at the Orvis pack but its made of the same material, costs a whole lot more and didnt find it as convenient as having everything in front of you.

Terry C

Nov 29, 2012, 9:10:57 PM11/29/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
In my younger days a full fishing vest caring way more gear and flys I could use in a month was no big deal, this past year after several outings I found myself saying " I got to lighten the load." Sounds like the sling pack is the way to go, now I need to think small when buying or I will only be shifting the load.

Barracuda

Nov 30, 2012, 9:01:34 AM11/30/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Back when I first moved to the DC area (mid-1980s) I hooked up with the Potomac River Smallmouth Club. One thing they emphasized back then (and still?): don't go wading without a PFD. And I learned to always wear a PFD.

Problem is, that affects how you carry your stuff, and what you carry it in. I've tried life jackets with pockets, but over time decided the pockets wouldn't let me carry enough. I tried a vest over a PFD, but that's a little clunky. I've tried a PFD plus fanny (excuse me, "lumbar") pack, but that always gets dunked (I always end up wading deeper than I planned) and isn't all that handy when you try to rotate it to the front with your PFD in the way. Etc.

Recently I've shifted to an inflatable PFD, which takes up less room, and a sling pack over that -- it sits out of the way most of the time (so shouldn't interfere with inflating the PFD if needed), and can be accessed relatively easily. The downside: most sling packs have large spaces for gear, not particularly well divided, so I sometimes have to go hunting for what I'm after.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if others are wearing PFDs or not. If not, it's certainly easier to get packs that work well. But I still worry a bit about not wearing a PFD.

Of course, I've fished a bit on big western trout rivers with much faster (and colder!) water and no one wears PFDs. But at least the footing is generally better there. By contrast, the Potomac riverbed can be a real bear to walk on with all the big rocks.

Bruce Mathews

Nov 30, 2012, 6:05:07 PM11/30/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have three inflatable PFDs.  I  have some recharge gas cylinders for the original one and I decided one day to jump into a pool and test it.  It inflated very quickly and forcefully and I had it cinched a little too tight at the bottom.  It caused quite a discomfort till I could get the strap loosened and after that I wore it loose knowing that it was easier to tighten up after inflation then the other way around.  Having said this I would be hesitant to wear anything over the inflatable including a jacket or sling pack.  After that I bought an inflatable belt pack but I am not sure where it is right now.  I'll have to look it up.  I would advise that you blow that inflatable up with the oral inflation tube while it is under what you wear and get a sense of what would happen if you suddenly went swimming.
Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

Nov 30, 2012, 10:08:24 PM11/30/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This seems like a good alternative: an inflatable fishing vest:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hodgman-fly-and-floatation-inflatable-vest.aspx?a=406160

Dec 19, 2012, 8:34:49 AM12/19/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the insight on packs.  I'm looking to buy one for a family member that does a fair amount of fishing with a spin rod but also loves fly fishing.  Does anyone know if the Orvis Guide Sling pack or the Patagonia Atom pack have enough room to hold a plano divider box for the days he isn't using a fly rod?

Happy holidays,

Connor

ps- and a merry fiscal cliffmas.

http://www.tpfr.org
---

http://www.tpfr.org
---

Daniel Davala

Dec 19, 2012, 8:42:58 AM12/19/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Orvis "Guide Sling" definitely does, it is quite big.  I have no experience with the Patagoina pack.  I am certain though that you could find an appropriate Plano box that would fit most of the packs out there since Plano makes so many models and sizes.  So I say pick the sling pack you like best for the recipient and throw in a Plano box that fits.  The Planos are relatively inexpensive anyway.

Dan Davala
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/B4VsotsyTY4J.

Terry C

Dec 20, 2012, 9:41:11 AM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I recently bought an Orvis sling pack for my son as a present,   the one feature I was looking for in all of them was a camelback water system,   didn't have any luck finding it.  The mfg's should add this feature.