Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Nedak

no leída,
19 feb 2013, 22:45:0119/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Stumbled across this site:  http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/fly%20vise.aspx

wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand or styles.  Essentially looking for a pretty straightforward basic vise to tie bass and saltwater flies.  The small trout stuff seems easier to buy than tie plus my kind wife just bought me a mess of trout flies for Christmas.

I have been to 1 beer tie and checked out a vise or 2 but no decisions and am looking to purchase bf next Beer Tie.

Suggestions input welcome.

Thanks!

TurbineBlade

no leída,
20 feb 2013, 7:20:0420/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Those regal knock-offs work decently for tying flies on larger hooks -- I know, I got one and I have tied probably well over 100 flies on it now.  However, it tends to "shoot" size 16-18 hooks. "I won't be tying small flies" won't last long -- it didn't for me anyway.  ;) I thought the same thing too at first and I need to get a vise that is a bit better quality to do anything I want.

namfos

no leída,
20 feb 2013, 12:45:3320/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you want a rotary vise, Renzetti Traveler is great.  I love mine - I've had it at least 15 years - and it costs 50% more now than when I purchased it.  A couple of pros I know, prefer the Peak rotary vise.  There's a number of non-rotary vises that are pretty good and the prices are all over the map,  Renzetti's Apprentice vise is about a hundred bucks.

Matthew Longley

no leída,
20 feb 2013, 13:25:3220/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nedak--I'd be a bit weary of some of the low-cost vices with lots of options/functionalities to them.  If I didn't have a vice, I would probably either get a simple, low cost clamp vice from a reputable brand, or I would drop a bit of change on a really nice rotary.  I still use the inexpensive clamp vice I got for christmas when I was 11.  If I upgraded, it would still make a great travel vice.

The more complicated components a cheap vice has, the more I'd worry about something working improperly.  Can't really go wrong with a simple clap vice (this week I used it to tie a few 22 midges and some 3/0 squid flies).  All you really need is something that will hold the hook securely.  If it doesn't do that, any other functionalities like rotation or adjustable jaw sets are useless.

Aaron O

no leída,
22 feb 2013, 13:12:4322/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Ok, so I have been reading everyone's post and the timing could not be better.  I have been using (and enjoying) a basic vice that I won at a beer tie, however I am having a harder and harder time with it.  The vice allows the hook to slip sometimes.  I have really liked the regals I have used at the beer ties and I admit I was looking at one of the cheaper versions/ (don't know if they are knockoffs) but now I'm hearing some issues with them.  I also dont know if you can use a spring clip to help hold the material back.

If anyone has other suggestions for vises in the $100 to $150 range, that would be great.  What I am looking for is a solid comfortable vice that can handle my large clouser hooks and the size 20 hooks I may tie in the future.  I do understand and agree that it is more important that it hold a hook well than to have all of the bells and whistles.  That being said,  I would love it if it rotated (I am planning to use some eppoxys soon and some of the patterns need to use a rotary vice to do it right.) but that is not a must.

John Kaden

no leída,
22 feb 2013, 23:01:3422/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aaron, et al

It seems like a $100+- would get me a good vise. I guess vises are just like the rest of the fly fishing sport...entry level will just cause "wasted" money bc eventually the fisherman will want a better X (rod/waders/vise) soon thereafter.

Guess I will see if increasing budget for the purchase will work.

Thanks again.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

HeaveToo

no leída,
23 feb 2013, 11:05:1723/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have been tying for 15 years on a $30 vice that I bought from ebay.  I have thought about getting a new vice but I can't justify the expense right now when I have two cheap ones that do everything I need.  Maybe someday, but it is so far back on my list of priorities.

As long as it holds the hook firmly in place it is a winner!

Matthew Longley

no leída,
23 feb 2013, 14:42:4323/2/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely agree with HeaveToo... didnt mean to imply otherwise in my earlier post.  I have a well made but no bells clamp vice, could probably find for 30 bucks as well.  I tie tiny midges and dries, and huge saltwater or pike flies.  Rotating vices are cool, and sometimes I wish I had one, but there's nothing you can do on your rotating vice that I cant do on my vice.  At some point, maybe i'll spend that $150 on a new vice instead of tying materials or gas to the stream...
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos