EA and Use Case 2.0 'Slices'

Mitchell@localhost Ian Mitchell

Apr 23, 2013, 4:27:00 AM4/23/13
to sparx-enterprise-archite...@googlegroups.com
I'm just starting to use the UseCase -> TestCase generation feature, as it makes EA REALLY useful for those who are using the new "Use Case 2.0" idea of 'Use Case Slices'. (see Jacobsen et. al white paper at http://www.ivarjacobson.com/use_case2.0_ebook/)

What I noticed is that the test case scenarios which get generated aren't all the possible paths through the use case, as described in Jacobsen's paper.

There seems to be one per Alternate, but you don't handle combinations of alternates.
So, if my Basic Path has alternates A1 and A2, I get test case scenarios for :
- BP
- BP, including A1
- BP, including A2,
- the A1 fragment
- the A2 fragment

but, I don't get BP including A1 and A2 (assuming that the logic of the use case allows the user to follow both paths in the same run of the use case).
I totally get why this would be: it's computationally nasty to cope with combinations of multiple alternates, and the user can quite easily construct these complex cases from the generated fragments, but I wanted to make sure that this was a deliberate omission. If so, then I'll explain to my users how they can make the complex cases themselves.

@Sparx - is this how it is ?

Also, it would be good, at some point, for EA to explicitly support the Use Case Slice idea, as it looks like you've done all the hard work, and it just needs a skin and a few graphics changes. UC2.0 looks a really practical way to use 'use case' ideas in the Agile world, so is likely to get more popular over time.

..and no, I don't want to write ANOTHER extension....:-)

Apr 23, 2013, 6:11:00 AM4/23/13
to sparx-enterprise-archite...@googlegroups.com
A first step would be to use the code which creates 'Test case Scenarios' and make each 'Slice' into an Element. Then it can be linked to other stuff more easily. Not rocket science.
Creating the definitive list of those slices from a set of Use Case structured scenarios is one of those problems Sparx should give to a recent computer science graduate: they would know!

Apr 23, 2015, 3:25:14 AM4/23/15
to sparx-enterprise-archite...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian, Huub,

I was at a Use Case 2.0 conference (http://www.ivarjacobson.com/Use_Case_Conference/) in Amsterdam this week and we saw how the NS (dutch railroads) implemented the use case slice idea in EA.
We didn't get much details but I think Jordi Reineman will be happy to elaborate if you contact him.

We are also planning to get someone from the NS to explain how they use EA at the next EA User Group event in Brussels (2015-09-18)

Me personally I'm not convinced we should store the slices themselves in EA. I try to make a difference between project information and product documentation. Project information is short-lived and can thrown away after the project is finished.
Project documentation is something we like to keep for the whole lifetime of the product.

I tend to keep only the product documentation in EA and keep the project documentation elsewhere.

Slices are more project documentation so they wouldn't necessarily appear in my model.. But of course project documentation should still link to elements from the product documentation (model) to keep full traceability. So I would still need to be able to determine all elements (from the model) that were delivered in a slice.

Geert