copyright problem?

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 8, 2012, 2:33:40 PM1/8/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
I want to write a paper themed on, doing simulation using scripting language with legacy code. As a civil engineer (structural), i find the tensile strength of concrete test  presented in sfepy primer quite suitable to use in my writing. will this cause any copyright problem???
And secondly, can anybody detail the process of wrapping python around C in sfepy?? just to make sure my understanding is right.
Thanks!

Robert Cimrman

Jan 8, 2012, 4:11:22 PM1/8/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
On 01/08/2012 08:33 PM, Md. Golam Rashed wrote:
> I want to write a paper themed on, doing simulation using scripting
> language with legacy code. As a civil engineer (structural), i find the
> tensile strength of concrete test presented in sfepy primer quite suitable
> to use in my writing. will this cause any copyright problem???

Unless Andre (the primary author of the primer) says differently, our
documentation is, like the code, licensed under BSD license, so use what
you need. Citing the docs would be nice, of course.

> And secondly, can anybody detail the process of wrapping python around C in
> sfepy?? just to make sure my understanding is right.
> Thanks!

Recently we changed from swig to cython, so the situation is as follows:

The C code is in 'extmods' (as extension modules) subdirectories:
sfepy/fem/extmods/ sfepy/physics/extmods/
sfepy/linalg/extmods/ sfepy/terms/extmods/

The Cython wrappers are there as well in .pyx (+ sometimes .pxd) files.
Some extension modules are pure Cython (they do not use hand-written C),
e.g. sfepy/fem/extmods/assemble.pyx

The Cython code uses numpy arrays as memory buffers. It (usually) works
as follows:

- in Python, all input arrays are prepared and output arrays
pre-allocated (using zeros() or empty()).
- the C/Cython function is called, filling the output arrays

This approach simplifies very much needs for manual memory management in
C. Another simplification is that the C code requires the arrays to be
C-contiguous.

If you want to know more, first check the cython documentation,
especially the tutorials [1] and the chapter on interaction with numpy
[2]. Then also look at the code in the directories mentioned above
(disclaimer: I am cython newbie - any comments how to improve the
wrappers are welcome!)

Also feel free to ask here, of course.

Cheers,
r.

[1] http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/index.html
[2] http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/numpy.html

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 9, 2012, 2:16:02 AM1/9/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
oh, Thanks a lot!
however, it would be nice if Andre chimes in here.

Andre Smit

Jan 9, 2012, 8:44:27 AM1/9/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
No problem here - the primer falls under the SfePy license.

The test as modeled is per specification : ASTM D6931-07, although there is a concrete equivalent - usually applied to thicker specimen I believe. Someone mentioned to me that the test was originally developed to test concrete - it was known as the Brazilian test.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Md. Golam Rashed <rashed...@gmail.com> wrote:
oh, Thanks a lot!
however, it would be nice if Andre chimes in here.

Andre

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 9, 2012, 9:19:37 AM1/9/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
yes, it came from rock mechanics and it was developed in Brazil during 50's.

Andre Smit

Jan 9, 2012, 9:44:44 AM1/9/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
To wrap python around fortran I use F2py, which is maintained as part of numpy. This has allowed me to compile legacy codes like BISAR and ELSYM5 for use within python.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Md. Golam Rashed <rashed...@gmail.com> wrote:
yes, it came from rock mechanics and it was developed in Brazil during 50's.

Andre

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 12, 2012, 1:41:09 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
What Latex editor do you people use to write for journal?
it feels quite difficult for me to write in any tex software, is there any easy what-you-see-is-what-you-get available??

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 12, 2012, 1:43:19 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Note:
I'm an MS office word user, and i'm fine as long as a journal excepts in doc/docx format. but trouble begins when latex is mandatory.

Logan Sorenson

Jan 12, 2012, 3:44:47 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Lyx is pretty good.

> --
> "sfepy-devel" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sfepy-devel/-/6bPxMovWlkgJ.

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 12, 2012, 4:24:09 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
so i heard and tried once, but its too much resource hungry!
Thanks 4 the feedback.
anyone wanna add something in this regard?

osman buyukisik

Jan 12, 2012, 6:08:29 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
How about Texmacs? Maybe even more resource hungry but nice :-)

Andre Smit

Jan 12, 2012, 7:34:30 PM1/12/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
texmaker 4 linux

Andre

Robert Cimrman

Jan 13, 2012, 3:36:25 AM1/13/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
I am using emacs, which is very good, but not for everone :)

BTW. after writing in LaTeX for a while IMHO you will not need a wysiwyg
editor. What is more important is good syntax highlighting, insertion of LaTeX
symbols and evnironments, word completion etc. After all, it is about document
contents and structure, not its rendering while you type.

On windows, WinEdt (shareware) or LEd (freeware) are pretty good.

r.

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 13, 2012, 3:43:31 AM1/13/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your reply! i'll check each one out one by one.

Md. Golam Rashed

Jan 14, 2012, 9:45:49 AM1/14/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
What about Sphinx? is it good for latex?

Robert Cimrman

Jan 15, 2012, 12:10:14 PM1/15/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
On 01/14/2012 03:45 PM, Md. Golam Rashed wrote:
> What about Sphinx? is it good for latex?

It is perfectly ok for simple latex, but as each journal supporting
latex submissions has its own (latex) style, it might be better to write
in latex directly using that style.

r.

Md. Golam Rashed

Mar 5, 2012, 7:27:57 AM3/5/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I wrote a journal article to The " International Journal of Computer Applications" and it got published as the editors choice of Issue 14 of Volume 40. It was themed on doing simulation using scripting language with legacy code.

Thanks Andre for the permission!

Now, what is the feeling of you guys about the paper?

Andre Smit

Mar 5, 2012, 8:29:00 AM3/5/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Congrats - looks good.

Andre

Md. Golam Rashed

Mar 31, 2012, 12:48:25 AM3/31/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Andre smit,

I've emailed you on freevryheid[at]gmail[dot]com about a potential paper writing.
did u get it?

On Monday, March 5, 2012 5:29:00 AM UTC-8, freevryheid wrote:
Congrats - looks good.