[A1] JP: LtCmdr Core & Cmdr Rahman: General Chang’s Revenge (Part 1)

Rich Yulin

Aug 16, 2016, 2:06:33 AM8/16/16
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Invicta

((Commercial Quarter, Astrofori One))

::They continued to walk alongside the tall windows that looked out beyond the station.::

Rahman: Speaking of family reunions… Rodul. Our trip. How goes the plans?

::He cringed, his steps slowing further than they already had been.::

Core: They're . . . progressing.

::She echoed his words.::

Rahman: Progressing… progressing where exactly?

::She turned to him with a narrowed frown.::

Rahman: Have you even started?

Core: It's not that I haven't *started*, it's just that . . . ::He sighed.:: You have to understand. The moment I begin to dwell about going home, seeing my family - I get ill. There's nothing I want more than to go home, go back to Myiron, but . . . my job is here. I can't focus on being First Officer of the Invicta if I'm too busy throwing up and suffering from a lack of energy. But, on the brighter note, I *have* made plans.

::Her voice sounded skeptical.::

Rahman: Oh really?

Core: By the time we get there, assuming we're not delayed because of work, we should be showing up during celebrations of Dikken.

Rahman: And what exactly is that? Did you just make that up?

::It was difficult to explain Rodulan holidays, concepts, beliefs, the works, but now he was required to somehow explain what the celebrations of Dikken were.::

Core: Dikken is a prophet of whom . . . essentially gave Rodul a unified religious . . . understand, I suppose you could call it.

Rahman: All right, so where exactly is this celebration taking place?

Core: Everywhere, but we’re going to Myiron, of course. If I'm to go home, then I'm going home. Which means, Rodulan capital of technology - spending a couple of days in an apartment is easy enough to do. Plus I figured us staying with my brother and father would sort of be overwhelming. And staying with Yanata . . . the less time you spend with her, the less I'll feel like you're both conspiring something behind my back.

::She cast a long glance back at him, lips pursed. There was a brief moment of silence before he picked up again.::

Core: ...so yes. Somewhere to sleep uninterrupted because 29 hour days are incredibly different to what's set on Invicta and Syracuse.

::That made Roshanara light up at the possibilities running through her head.::

Rahman: Five extra hours a day? Think about how much more we can see and do while we’re there!

::She then smiled coyly.::

Rahman: Or of course, we could always just stay in...

Core: As much as that sounds appealing, I'm afraid to say that looking forward to a full twelve to thirteen hours sleep

Rahman: Hmmmph.

::He rubbed his temples.::

Core: But enough about planning - how's things on your end?

Rahman: Well, Vassily is someone else’s problem now. Which isn’t actually something I’m happy about. Just like when Cariño got away.

::She said, referring to Gabriela Cariño, the colonial extremist who had led the hijacking of the quantum slipstream starliner earlier in the year. Though the Invicta’s crew had thwarted them, Cariño and her associates managed to escape. And the more Roshanara read the intelligence reports coming in, the more she felt the two--Cariño and Vassily--were connected.::

Rahman: But anyway, I guess I should think of this as an opportunity to take care of some other things…

::She gazed back out at the Invicta through the window, and Tristam seemed to catch what she was alluding to.::

Core: Tasnim seems a bit restless. Have you spoken to her lately?

Rahman: Here and there. ::She chuckled.:: We’re actually getting along pretty well these days, if you can believe.

Core: I’m glad.

Rahman: I remember when it felt like I needed a tractor beam just to keep her in the same room as me.

::Considering that Tasnim probably would know how to dismantle one by now, saying anything about it would probably only get him into trouble.::

Core: I suppose she’s had more time to settle. She seems particularly interested in engineering - you share similar interests. Makes sense that she’d warm up to it.

Rahman: I suppose.

::She looked back at the Rodulan.::

Rahman: She has been devouring those JSCE issues lately. Maybe I should look into finding a youth program for her. Something like the Daystrom Institute’s YES program.

::Referring to the Young Engineers and Scientists program that Roshanara had once “assisted” with while she was a doctoral student there.::

Core: It’s not in my place to say yes or no - or to even comment, really. But I think she’d benefit from something more challenging than what Gupta’s providing. If she’s not showing an interest in the general work, on Rodul, she’d be focussed in one area.

::A sudden thought occurred to Roshanara.::

Rahman: Do you think she should come along with us? To Rodul?

::His pause was more in consideration of what Rodul had become in her universe of origin.::

Core: That’s . . . something you should discuss with her, seeing that Rodul was collaborating with the Dominion in her lifetime.

::She nodded.::

Rahman: And something I should discuss with Ki… ::sighs:: He’s been doing really well with her, you know? I have to say, I honestly am a bit surprised--and ashamed for being surprised--at well he’s been handling the whole… guardian thing.

::”Fatherhood” seemed to go too far. But that was a topic she and Ki had broached on during their relationship. It still seemed far away back then--and honestly hard to imagine as the Dominion War raged on, every day seemingly more depressing. It gave her an appreciation for what Tasnim’s parents--her and Ki’s alternate selves must have decided for themselves.::

Core: He’s doing well with what he has. I wouldn’t know - I honestly haven’t had the time to discuss anything with him lately.

::She frowned, not pleased to hear that. Whatever the tensions between her and Ki, she knew how strong a friendship he and Tristam had developed ever since their time together in ancient Peppalexa.::

Rahman: You know… ::She smiled.:: You don’t have to spend *every* shore leave with me. If you need your male bonding time…

::She lightly chuckled, imagining the two like little boys.::

::Tristam had choked on air.::

Rahman: I don’t want to intrude.

Core: I think you misunderstand the purpose of me being *here*, and not with Ki. You are ervami, Ki is not. Not to mention, you’re not on Invicta anymore - I could walk down two or three corridors and be at Ki’s door in about a minute - with you, I have to either call and us both be busy, or *transport* to the Syracuse. ::His had risen rather dramatically in an attempt to defend himself.::

Rahman: Ah, so *that’s* why you’re so obsessed with working on that super transporter of yours...

Core: Kid as much as you like - the practicality of the MST is better than that of propulsion in any area. Faster, likely will be more reliable once it's completed, and will make warp engines or slipstream drives obsolete.

Rahman: Ah, so you want to sleep alone tonight, is it? ::She teased.::

::Before he could reply, though, a combadge chirped--hers.::

Astrofori One Communications: =/\= Communications to Commander Rahman. You have an incoming message from Starfleet. =/\=

TBC…

Commander Roshanara Rahman

Commanding Officer, USS Syracuse

I238705TZ0

&

Lt. Commander Tristam Core

First Officer & SCE Project Manager, USS Invicta

C238803SB0 (I am not a sheep, ser)