[G] Roshanara, the "Meh" Witch (Egan Manno, sh'Shar)

Rich

Aug 11, 2014, 4:37:51 AM8/11/14
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Daystrom Institute, 2385))

::Doctoral student Roshanara Rahman was busy editing the meta analysis for next month’s submission when her faculty advisor Dr. Zutter ran into the room, quickly sealing the door behind him.::

Zutter: Dear Gods!

::The Kriosian smiled as she continued typing away at the text. Just another Tuesday in the Zutter Lab.::

Rahman: Good morning, professor.

Zutter: Roshanara! There are twenty feral…

::He said the next word with a hiss.::

Zutter: ...*youths* coming down that hall! I need you to go out there and distract them!

::She turned around, making sure she heard that right.::

Rahman: ::drawn out:: …”distract” them?

::He hurried over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.::

Zutter: At least until Dr. Jeong comes back with lunch. Gods, this is all his fault! The YES program is his baby after all… I don’t know how he got me into it…

::Ah, the YES program: the Young Engineers and Scientists summer program the Daystrom Institute hosted to introduce school children to the various STEM fields.::

Rahman: You know, professor, it’s not a bad idea. I would have given anything to attend something like that when I was a kid.

::The professor grabbed Roshanara by both shoulders and shook her a few times.::

Zutter: THESE ARE NOT KIDS! THEY’RE MINIATURE TERRORS!

::He shook her a few times before looking down at his hands and quickly removed them. He then looked back towards the door in horror.::

Zutter: Oh no! I think I lost Taric!

::Taric? The undergraduate assistant?::

::Roshanara stood up and walked over to the door.::

Rahman: You’re making them sound like a horde of--

::She opened the door, silencing herself as the distant rumble and yelling hit her ears.::

Rahman: ::whispers:: Oh, my…

::Dr. Zutter by this point was headed towards the back entrance to the lab.::

Zutter: Don’t let them breach that door! I’ll find Jeong!

::The man quickly left, leaving Roshanara to fend for herself. She turned back to see the little army of school children enter into view, Taric chasing after them.::

Taric: Wait, guys! Come on, there’s no rush!

Kids: YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::The Kriosian took a deep breath and walked into the center of the hallway, crossing her arms as the first few children reached her feet.::

::She looked down and cleared her throat.::

Rahman: Ahem, and just where are you all going?

::A short Efrosian boy grinned widely.::

Boy: We’re gonna see the inside of a warp core!

::Roshanara returned a smile, her arms still crossed.::

Rahman: Oh, really?

::The boy nodded, but his smile slowly faded as he looked up at her, and she saw him gasp.::

Rahman: Everything all right?

::The boy nodded again but didn’t say anything. Another child, a human girl with light brown hair, raised her hand. Roshanara looked over at her.::

Rahman: Yes?

Girl: What’s wrong with you?

Rahman: Excuse me?

Girl: What’s wrong with your face? Are you a witch?

::Before she could reply, another girl nearby giggled. By now though, Taric, out of breath, had arrived with the other students.::

Taric: Excuse me… I... ::panting:: ...they’re quite the handful.

::She bit her lip to keep from laughing.::

Rahman: I can see that. All right, so you all wanted to see the inside of a warp core, I hear.

::The students shouted back with a cheer.::

Rahman: Okay, but you have to promise to behave. You don’t want to cause a warp core breach do you?

::There were some gasps, while others didn’t seem to know what a “breach” meant.::

Rahman: Good. Then, follow me…

::As she led the group to the larger set of labs in the next building, she overheard the first girl whisper to the Efrosian boy.::

Girl: ::giggling:: She definitely looks like an old, ugly witch…

::Oh, resist, Roshanara. Resist…::

::Sigh, as the Borg say. Resistance is futile. After they entered the second lab, Roshanara had Taric give a brief overview of the model warp core in the center of the room. The Kriosian meanwhile made her way around the back of the group until she found the girl and her friend, who were gazing down below to see the bottom of the core assembly.::

::She knelt down and smiled.::

Rahman: Hey, what’s your name?

::The girl’s eyes darted between Roshanara’s scars and her eyes.::

Girl: ::guarded:: ...Melody.

Rahman: Oh! That’s a pretty name!

::The girl finally smiled back, seemingly pleased.::

Rahman: Guess what, Melody?

Girl: Hmmm?

Rahman: You’re right. ::beat:: I am a witch. And at night, I throw naughty children into the warp core to cook them before I eat them.

::The girl gasped.::

Rahman: Oh, don’t worry. Lucky for you, I only like sweet things, not sour little pieces of $#!%. ::She smiled.:: Enjoy the rest of your visit.

::She stood up and walked away. Drs. Jeong and Zutter arrived shortly thereafter with lunch and took the children off their hands. Though Taric and Dr. Zutter seemed impressed with Roshanara’s handling of the group, strangely, she was never asked to help out again with the program.::

(( Six Years Later… ))

sh'Shar: Hey. Wakey wakey, scarface.

:: Roshanara hesitantly cracked open her eyes, the bright overhead lights of the holding cell shining down on her. She turned her head slightly to see an Andorian woman standing outside her cell, hands propped on her hips. Perhaps a subordinate of Lieutenant Naughton’s? ::

:: The woman’s antennae curled like a pair of scorpion tails ready to strike. ::

sh'Shar: Just dropping by to check out the ship's pet. See how you run in your cage. Could arrange to have an oversized wheel bought in here. Something for you to get exercise in. Maybe a huge, pinkskin-sized bottle of water for you to drink out of.

:: The former chief engineer furrowed her brow. ::

Rahman: Are you… heckling me?

:: The Andorian took a nearby chair and set it across from Roshanara before sitting down. ::

sh'Shar: I dunno. I don't get a "mirror-universe super-evil crazy backstabbing possibly-mind-controlled psycho" vibe outta you. And trust me on this one. I've seen that other place, and when it comes to psychos, it takes one to know one.

:: Maybe this was some sort of interrogation technique. The Kriosian decided to remain quiet as it didn’t seem the Andorian had trouble filling in the silence. The other woman suddenly pointed right at her, like a witness identifying a suspect out of a lineup or a teacher scolding a pupil. ::

sh'Shar: And I know you ain't crazy.

:: Roshanara, still lying down on the bunk, returned a flat expression as the Andorian continued.::

sh'Shar: I'm getting more of a "neutral" vibe. Someone who just won't commit. So tell me, "Commander"... what turns a woman's heart to neutrality? How does one slip, fall, and land somewhere half in the middle?

Rahman: I’m sorry… do I *know* you?

:: The question had a distinctive bite in tone. ::

:: The captain’s voice though interrupted the strange meeting then, but it was through the odd Andorian’s combadge. ::

Egan Manno: =/\= Egan Manno to Rahman. =/\=

:: The woman held out the combadge, seeming to enjoy this game she was playing with hints of a smirk wanting to break through. ::

sh'Shar: Aww. It'd be a huge shame if it didn't come through. We could just say you'd had some kind of accident or something and couldn't be located. Pretty sure those kinds of things happen every freaking day.

:: Was she threatening her now? The Kriosian was honestly at a loss for words. The captain rang again. ::

Egan Manno: =/\= Captain Egan Manno to Rahman. =/\=

:: As if on a whim, the Andorian finally tapped the combadge and placed it against the forcefield. She gave Roshanara a look that said, “Well… go on!” ::

:: Roshanara sat up and cleared her throat. ::

Rahman: =/\= Ahem… yes, captain? =/\=

Egan Manno: =/\= You're out, at least for the time being. A situation has developed, and you're needed on the Garuda. =/\=

:: Ah, it seemed despite her engineering background, Captain Egan Manno had also since developed the Starfleet Command propensity towards ambiguity when reporting an update. ::

Rahman: =/\= A situation? Could you be more specific, ma’am? =/\=

::There was a noticeable pause. Well this was odd. The first thought in Roshanara’s mind was that it must have been something to do with Engineering… oh no. Tristam. What had the hapless Rodulan done to her ship? He’d only been acting chief for a few days, and they hadn’t even left the dock! ::

Egan Manno: =/\= ::beat:: Perhaps you should come to the bridge. It's -- a complex situation. =/\=

Rahman: =/\= Understood. I’ll… get there as soon as I can. =/\=

:: After the com closed, the Andorian spoke up again. ::

sh'Shar: Well, sounds like we won't need the giant wheel after all. Computer, lower forcefield.

:: She stood with her arms crossed, giving her a cold stare. ::

sh'Shar: Sounds like you're on your last chance.

:: Roshanara stepped up to the woman, almost eye-to-eye, and crossed her own arms, unintimidated.

Rahman: Hmmmph.

:: The Andorian offered a hand and a sudden shift in tone, almost cordial. ::

sh'Shar: Well... so am I. Mikali sh'Shar. Helm. Figured you could use a friend. C'mon, I'll walk you to the bridge.

:: Roshanara accepted the handshake and noted the woman’s hand cool to the touch. ::

Rahman: Thanks, but I already have friends. What I need is a good lawyer.

sh’Shar: ?

:: They departed the security suite and made their way back to the Garuda. It seemed though the Andorian wasn’t content to merely escort her, instead prodding her with more questions and her own speculation. Truth be told, it was starting to get annoying. ::

sh’Shar: ?

Rahman: I’m sorry... but why is this of any concern of yours?

sh’Shar: ?

Rahman: ::unamused:: Really.

sh’Shar: ?

(OOC: Continue as wanted)

:: Upon entering the turbolift, Roshanara instinctively called out. ::

Rahman: Bridge.

:: The computer let out an error tone. ::

Computer: You do not have security clearance for that destination.

:: Oh… of course. ::

sh’Shar: ?

:: As the turbolift began moving, Roshanara folded her arms again, tucking in her hands to keep them from accidentally finding themselves around the other woman’s neck. ::

Rahman: Thanks…

((Bridge, USS Garuda))

:: Once they had arrived, they stepped out onto deck 1 to be greeted by the stares of the bridge crew. Fortunately, most of the senior staff were not present. Roshanara walked over towards Captain Egan Manno, sitting in her command chair and stood at ease, with her arms folded behind her back. She gave a slight bow of her head. ::

Rahman: Captain.

sh’Shar: ?

Egan Manno: ?

:: The Kriosian glanced over at the Andorian for a moment. ::

Rahman: Yes, well… ahem, thank you, lieutenant for being… *kind* enough to pick me up from the station.

sh’Shar: ?

Egan Manno: ?

Rahman: :: Turning her attention back to Egan Manno. :: So what is this situation you spoke of, captain?

Egan Manno: ?

sh’Shar: ?

Tag! TBC...

-----