shloka

vasantha syamalam

Sep 15, 2014, 2:21:53 AM9/15/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

शुक्लांबरधरं विष्णुं शशिवर्णं चतुर्भुजम्।
प्रसन्नवदनं ध्यायेत् सर्व-विध्नोपशान्तये।

एतस्य श्लोकस्य पद-परिचयं तथा शब्दार्थं ददातु।
विष्णुं तथा प्रसन्नवदनं एतयोः तात्पर्ये वैशिष्ट्यमस्ति  इति मया श्रुतम्।

Hnbhat B.R.

Sep 15, 2014, 3:13:00 AM9/15/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
शुक्लाम्बरधरं देवं शशिवर्णं चतुर्भुजम् । प्रसन्नवदनं ध्यायेत् सर्वविघ्नोपशान्तये ॥

सभी विघ्नों को हटाने के लिए, श्वेत कपड़े पहने भगवान गणेश का ध्यान करना चाहिए जिनका वर्ण चन्द्रमा का सा है, जिनकी चार भुजाएं हैं, तथा जो प्रसन्न रहते हैं।

अत्र चर्चा दृश्यताम् ---

G S S Murthy

Sep 15, 2014, 12:13:42 PM9/15/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Which is the earliest appearance of this sloka?
Regards
Murthy

My web site : http://murthygss.tripod.com/index.htm
and also my Sanskrit blog :

http://simplesanskrit.blogspot.com/

http://gssmurthy.blogspot.com

Venkata Sriram

Sep 16, 2014, 2:38:04 AM9/16/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Difficult to decide which one is earliest appearance of sloka.  As usual with other slokas, these are pATa bhEdAs w.r.t to dakshinAdi and uttarAdi sampradAyAs.

Shri.Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni has taken the pada "vishnu" and interpreted the sloka from Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's perspective. Bhagavan is shuklAmbaradharaH as He is "shukla kaupIna dharaH" ; He is also vishnu owing to His sarvAtma-bhAva (vyApana shIlAm viSNuh" says Ganapati Muni.

Which implies that this sloka with "vishnu" as pATa bhEda was popular too !!

regs,
sriram

Hnbhat B.R.

Sep 16, 2014, 10:23:24 PM9/16/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Which is the earliest appearance of this sloka?
Regards
Murthy

Anyhow I had never thought of the earliesr appearance of this sloka, for this verse I knew from my child hood.

It appears in Mantreshvara Phaladipika, in the first chapter as the first verse:

and might be appearing in some more verses. It appears at the beginning of several अध्याय-s in Mahabharata also (noted as Prakshipta in the Critical Edition).

One can see all the occurrences in गवेषिका --- from a number of sources:

total 6 occurrences of the verse in Mahabharata, and all are noted as Prakkshipta.

But this shows the copyists used to insert this verse in the beginning at least in some regions and crept into the manuscripts.

G S S Murthy

Sep 17, 2014, 7:05:16 AM9/17/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
If so far no one has tried to find out the origin of this ubiquitous verse, it may be worth a Ph D or at least a Masters,
Regards
Murthy