VMWare (Guest mode) settings: step-by-step ...

Remix fan

Jan 13, 2016, 8:56:05 AM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
Virtual Machine name: Remix OS 2.0 preliminary test version

VMWare settings (VMWare just as an example, I should get this working in any type of VM cause it's ... like any of my favourite Linux OSes ! :-))

Disclaimer: YMMV ... many other settings will work just as well OR BETTER ... this is just me hoping to help some people to start with this wonderfull new OS entry ...
I did get some settings from other posts, this is NOT my invention in any way ...

Hardware

Memory 2GB (whatever)
Processors  1 / core per processor / 1 Total processor cores 1 - Virtualization engine : Preferred mode: Intel VT-x or AMD-V !
Network Adapter NAT
Hard Disk (SCSI)  8GB (at least)
CD/DVD (IDE) ADAPT: Using file C:\Users\MyName\...\my-Remix-OS 2.0.iso (specify the location where you saved your original! Remix ISO file)
Display Use host setting for monitors (nb. should be adapted later for your host monitor) - Accelerate 3D graphics : NO (YES *may* work with some additional installs, not yet tested this ?)
... rest = you may simply the other default values for now

Power > Power options
Enter full screen mode after powering on ... YES (you may of course prefer NO)

Guest operating system
Linux
Version:
Other Linux 3.x kernel 64-bit

Working directory
C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Virtual Machines\Remix OS 2.0 Alfa

Enhanced keyboard
Off

Adapt DPI and Resolution
Power on this virtual Machine

At boot:

Klick with mouse option '1 GUEST ...' (or later 2 for Android saving session settings)

- TAB key
appears something like ...
... inux /android/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=guest -of- permissive  SRC=/android DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1

We will adapt this line something like YMMV ...

-1 space character
- then: DPI=160 UVESA_MODE=1920x1200 (yr native monitor resolution!)

Command line then shows something like.:
linux /android/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive SRC=/android DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1 DPI=160 UVESA_MODE=1920x1200

Press ENTER toets ! => Magic happens !

We now should get an ANDROID Desktop OS that visually teases ... OSX and Windows 10 :-)
Thanks a lot to all Remix Devs !

Ángel Javier Esquivel

Jan 13, 2016, 2:24:54 PM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
Going to try it, hang on

Leonardo Fonseca Ferreira

Jan 13, 2016, 2:48:04 PM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
works in osx vmware like a share.

Leonardo Fonseca Ferreira

Jan 13, 2016, 2:48:26 PM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
*charm

Prafull Kumar

Jan 13, 2016, 3:04:49 PM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
Why to install on Guest or VM instead

For installation on HDD Successfully checkout this post

asdfasdf1...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2016, 8:52:22 PM1/13/16
to Remix OS for PC
can´t boot.  Win7-64 host, 8gb, old nvidia 9600 gpus. VMware 12

used the posted settings and tried variations.
There are two variations in failing:

- Remix os is "Detecting android x86... round at /dev/sr0"
and VMware tells me, that the guest OS disabled the CPU. After clicking the message, it restarts.
- RemixOs is reaching the following step, "checking partitions", ...
and than the VM restarts without the CPU message.

activated AMD-V, but I think my Phenom (1) has a too old version of AMD-V?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#AMD_virtualization_.28AMD-V.29
It´s without Rapid Virtualization Indexing (Nested Page Tables).
Could this cause this issue?

Another point: I do have connected several screens with different resolutions. I think VMware 'submits' the current screen size to the guest, not serveral ones. Is this correct?

k.ja...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2016, 4:00:05 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
I tried this settings in VMWare Workstation 12 (used Remix_OS_for_PC_64_B2016011402_Alpha_Legacy) and it get stuck on starting/loading screen (screen with "Remix OS") and it keeps loading and loading and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?