users reporting captcha not appearing?

chatsworth

Aug 13, 2012, 1:31:42 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Hi -
We run a site that uses recaptcha and over the weekend we had a high incidence of users reporting that the captcha was not appearing for them in multiple browsers.
When I tried to test it myself, the captcha appears for me.  I don't see any new errors in our web logs.

Is there any way to troubleshoot such a situation?

Not knowing what else to do, we have removed the captcha requirement.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Will C.

Aug 13, 2012, 1:34:08 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
have you tried the captcha yourself in more than one browser? such as Internet explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, safari, etc?

William

chatsworth

Aug 13, 2012, 2:15:47 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Thank you William,
I did try other browsers and it was working for me.  But based on your post, I tried Opera browser, and I see an interesting error message popping up:

The server's certificate did not match its hostname, Accept?

When I click on the error's security tab, I see that "api-secure.recaptcha.net does not the match certificate's name www.google.com"

But isnt't that code is coming from google's side?
(We use Perl Captcha-reCAPTCHA)

It's interesting that Captcha-reCAPTCHA version 0.95 just came out a week ago; wonder if it could be related to the issue?  Although we're still on 0.94 in production...
very strange

Will C.

Aug 13, 2012, 2:22:10 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
im not sure about the perl version.  I will let one of the experts answer that.
but I thought you should try different browsers because sometimes what shows up in one browsers will be messed up in another one.
to me it sounds like for some reason it appears the script isn't connecting to the system correctly.

Will

chatsworth

Aug 13, 2012, 2:43:58 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks William,
I'm seeing what I would have to describe as random behavior.  We call the code with Captcha::reCAPTCHA->get_html() and sometimes the result has

whereas other times it has

this seems to be regardless of the Perl module version (0.94 vs 0.95)

I don't know if this is what causes the captchas to not appear for end users, but it doesn't seem to be a good thing.

Will C.

Aug 13, 2012, 2:56:44 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
that's strange.  If it is trying to read from different sources at random times, then that sounds like an issue to me.

Will

Aug 13, 2012, 3:02:54 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks Will
and I looked in both Perl modules (0.94 and 0.95) both have the correct servers (google.com) near the top:

use constant API_SERVER => 'http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api';
use constant API_SECURE_SERVER =>
use constant API_VERIFY_SERVER => 'http://www.google.com';

I did a recursive search on our server for "api-secure" just to make sure this isn't coming from us, no results found - so it must be coming from google like this...  But then wouldn't more than just us be having the problem?

On Monday, August 13, 2012 11:56:44 AM UTC-7, Will C. wrote:
that's strange.  If it is trying to read from different sources at random times, then that sounds like an issue to me.

Will

Will C.

Aug 13, 2012, 3:09:57 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Let me ask you this.  Are you using yoru own server, or paying for hosting?
The reason I am asking is I am wondering if Perl is set up correctly on the server, and if not, if that could be what is causing the problem

Will

chatsworth

Aug 13, 2012, 3:28:00 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Will,

I think I just figured it out.  We have a web cluster and it seems that the most recent web server we brought online had an outdated version of the Perl module (0.92).  Just upgraded and testing now, I'm pretty sure that had to be the cause.

Thanks for helping me through it!

Will C.

Aug 13, 2012, 3:32:52 PM8/13/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
 No problem.  I just got finished setting up a server for internet radio streaming servers, and I had to go through all that.  the Setting up Perl I mean.
I got all kinds of perl errors until I updated and setup everything correctly.

Will