[LSJ] Freak Drive + Taste of Vitae

Prince de Paris

Jun 25, 2009, 2:24:27 PM6/25/09
We know that a Cryptic Rider, a Voter Captivation, a Freak Drive can
be played in any order at the end of a successful political action.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0ec7cc19adeac539
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b91656a4dfe25b34
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/64d46773fb9cef75/ca17f984e565308c?lnk=gst

Voter Captivation:
Only usable after resolving a successful referendum called by this
acting vampire.

Freak Drive (at superior):
Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the
action), usable even if the action is blocked (play after combat, if
any).

Taste of Vitae:
Only usable at the end of a round of combat.

Now, let's say that an acting minion A (with superior Fortitude) is
blocked during an action by B.
Hit for 1, no press, combat ends.
Can A play Freak Drive then Taste of Vitae?

The idea is: the end of combat, end of round and end of action happen
at the same time.
Same as: after a successful referendum and the end of the action are
the same timing window.

Chris Berger

Jun 25, 2009, 2:40:05 PM6/25/09
On Jun 25, 1:24 pm, Prince de Paris <v.rip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, let's say that an acting minion A (with superior Fortitude) is
> blocked during an action by B.
> Hit for 1, no press, combat ends.
> Can A play Freak Drive then Taste of Vitae?
>
> The idea is: the end of combat, end of round and end of action happen
> at the same time.
> Same as: after a successful referendum and the end of the action are
> the same timing window.

No. Taste of Vitae is a combat card and must be played during
combat. Freak Drive is an action modifier and cannot be played during
combat.

Juggernaut1981

Jun 25, 2009, 7:14:45 PM6/25/09

Combat briefly runs as:

[other combat phases]
Press Step
[Space for Taste of Vitae and other "Only at the end of a Round of
Combat"]
Combat Round Ends
Combat Continues into new round or Combat Ends
[Space for Freak Drive, Truth of 1,000 Lies (untap), etc]

Prince de Paris

Jun 27, 2009, 4:27:10 AM6/27/09

I disagree. If B plays a strike: combat ends, A can play Taste of
Vitae because end of combat implies end of round. You don't have to
play it before "combat round ends";

About your first point : Psyche! is a combat card but can be played
"after" the combat.

Name: Psyche!
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, FN:PA2, CE:U/PB, KMW:PAl2, Third:U]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Celerity
[cel] Press.
[CEL] Only usable at the end of combat when both combatants are still
ready. Begin another combat with the opposing minion.

Still, Psyche! doesn't say that it can be played outside a combat. But
the "only usable at end of combat" allows it to be so.

And Taste says : Only usable at the end of a round of combat.

If the end of a round of combat matches with the end of combat, I'd
say you could play a FD at the same time (ordered as you want).

Chris Berger

Jun 27, 2009, 8:50:26 PM6/27/09
On Jun 27, 3:27 am, Prince de Paris <v.rip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And Taste says : Only usable at the end of a round of combat.
>
> If the end of a round of combat matches with the end of combat, I'd
> say you could play a FD at the same time (ordered as you want).

Except that you can't. It doesn't work that way. Taste of Vitae is
played during combat, Freak Drive is played after it.

I don't know why Psyche was ruled to be played "outside of combat".
It's a combat card that specifically says when it is played in such a
way that can be interpreted to be "during combat". But in any case,
it is the only combat card (that isn't also another type of card) that
has been ruled to be an exception to "combat cards can only be played
in combat." Or rather, there may be another one that I've forgotten,
but Taste of Vitae is not one of them. Even with Psyche, I am 90%
certain that Freak Drive *cannot* be played before Psyche... would
need a ruling from LSJ on that, though.

Robert Scythe

Jun 27, 2009, 9:57:04 PM6/27/09
On Jun 27, 5:50 pm, Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I don't know why Psyche was ruled to be played "outside of combat".
> It's a combat card that specifically says when it is played in such a
> way that can be interpreted to be "during combat".  But in any case,
> it is the only combat card (that isn't also another type of card) that
> has been ruled to be an exception to "combat cards can only be played
> in combat."

Because it is a "magic" card!

"Because Psyche! (and Coordinated Attacks) are "magic" -- they are
combat cards
that are played at the end of combat. Not quite in combat and not
quite after."

-LSJ

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_frm/thread/eed2518ae88ab00/645f7759fdbdc53b?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=lsj+magic+psyche#645f7759fdbdc53b

Juggernaut1981

Jun 28, 2009, 7:48:12 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 11:57 am, Robert Scythe <tbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 5:50 pm, Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> > I don't know why Psyche was ruled to be played "outside of combat".
> > It's a combat card that specifically says when it is played in such a
> > way that can be interpreted to be "during combat".  But in any case,
> > it is the only combat card (that isn't also another type of card) that
> > has been ruled to be an exception to "combat cards can only be played
> > in combat."
>
> Because it is a "magic" card!
>
> "Because Psyche! (and Coordinated Attacks) are "magic" -- they are
> combat cards
> that are played at the end of combat. Not quite in combat and not
> quite after."
>
> -LSJ
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_f...

Psyche! and Coordinated Attacks are played "at the end". They are
effectively the very last card that can be played in a combat. If no
Psyche!s or Coordinated Attacks are played "at the end of combat" then
combat ends. Once combat has ended Freak Drive, Truth of 1000 Lies,
Hidden Lurker and Fast Reactions can be played (since they are not
combat cards).

Obedience would be playable between a "Block Combat" and a "Psyche!
Combat" because Psyche! triggers "a new combat" and Obedience checks
for "Only usable when this reacting vampire is about to enter combat
with an acting younger vampire". If the vampire playing Psyche! was
acting, there is opporunity for Obedience to be played before Psyche!
Combat begins. It would also be the same window for Cats' Guidance,
since it is after the combat that was caused by a block.

Taste of Vitae must be played after the press step; S:CE ends combat
after resolving the strike never reaching the press step and therefore
not allowing Taste of Vitae to be played AFTER the press step (there
was no Press Step to be "after"). S:CE effectively truncates the
combat sequence to "Strike Resolution > At End of Combat" instead of
"Strike Resolution > Damage Resolution > Go To Torpor? > Press Step >
Taste of Vitae window > New Round? Combat Ends? > At End of Combat".

JH

Jun 28, 2009, 9:55:06 PM6/28/09
On Jun 29, 2:48 am, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Taste of Vitae must be played after the press step; S:CE ends combat
> after resolving the strike never reaching the press step and therefore
> not allowing Taste of Vitae to be played AFTER the press step (there
> was no Press Step to be "after").  S:CE effectively truncates the
> combat sequence to "Strike Resolution > At End of Combat" instead of
> "Strike Resolution > Damage Resolution > Go To Torpor? > Press Step >
> Taste of Vitae window > New Round? Combat Ends? > At End of Combat".

Except that the current wording of the Taste of Vitae reads "Only
usable at the end of a round of combat.", which makes it still
playable after a S:CE.