sambal oelek?

Janet

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
is for an indian-type sauce for fish.

Thanks
Janet H.

A. Veller

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <eu6687z...@ferguson.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>,
ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:

It is sold here in Belgium in all supermarkets unde the Suzy-Wan
brandname. It is a hot red sauce with red pepper pips in it. Maybe you
could substitute chili sauce.

Philip F. Wight

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Janet - Sambal oelek or "Sambal mit Oelek" is an Indonesian hot sauce.
It's a thick, pulpy type with a distinctive flavor. The most popular
brand, made in Holland, is Conimex. Conimex is a big bottler/canner of
food products in Holland: their products are popular in Indonesia, too.

You should be able to find Conimex Sambal oelek in specialty stores: for
sure you will find it in Dutch stores and via mailorder from Dutch food
companies in the USA. If you need an address or phone number of same, let
me know.

I love the stuff and always keep a stock here. I take Campbells chicken
noodle soup and add a teaspoon of sambal oelek: makes a firey and
delicious soup.

BTW, there are various other Sambals: if the receipe calls for sambal
oelek (oelek means oil) then don't use the other sambals.

Cheers,
Phil
----------------

> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.
>

> Thanks
> Janet H.

c...@marketpower.com

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.

Sambal Oelek is a ground fresh chili paste and it is sold in Asian markets.

Guten Appetit!
---
ž Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 ž

Janet

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:

> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.

Thanks for all the replies about my "sambal oelek"! I've discovered
that I can get it in Australia and in the Netherlands, and I've
had twenty different suggestions as to what it is, but they
all narrow down to "something hot". I'm going to try to use
hot chile peppers canned in oil (because "oelek" means "oil", one
person wrote), and if it turns out well I'll post the recipe.

Thanks again

Janet H.

Mike and Joy Hardie

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:

> ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:

>Thanks again

>Janet H.

I've come in late here, but here is a recipe for "Sambal Ulek" which
is the same stuff as the Dutch spelling of "Sambel oelek"

25 fresh red chillies
vinegar or tamarind liquid
2 teaspoons salt

Put the chillies (seeds and all) into a blender, add enough vinegar or
tamarind liquid to keep mass moving, blend into a paste, add salt, put
into a bottle and store in the fridge.

Mike

Iain G Liddell

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <aveller-0807...@tregsmc1.vub.ac.be>,
A. Veller <ave...@vnet3.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>In article <eu6687z...@ferguson.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>,

>ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:
>
>> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
>> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
>> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.
>
>It is sold here in Belgium in all supermarkets unde the Suzy-Wan
>brandname. It is a hot red sauce with red pepper pips in it. Maybe you
>could substitute chili sauce.

Sambal oelek is fairly widely available (i.e., in most of the more
enterprising supermarkets, as well as gourmet shops and such like) in
this part of the UK. As well as the Conimex brand (which originates in
the Netherlands), there is a home-grown variety, made by Fox's Spices of
Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'd be surprised if Jenner's Food Hall couldn't come up with some.
However, if needs must, then you may be forced to dust down your Edinburgh
passport, get plenty of injections and (gasp!) go to Glasgow.

If you are really stuck, or if the aforementioned trip is too, too much
to contemplate, e-mail me and I'll liberate a jar from Sainsbury's in
Watford for you.

Iain

Heiko Ebeling

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <eu6u3vh...@ferguson.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, Janet
<ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Janet) wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies about my "sambal oelek"! I've
> discovered that I can get it in Australia and in the
> Netherlands, and I've had twenty different suggestions as to
> what it is, but they all narrow down to "something hot". I'm
> going to try to use hot chile peppers canned in oil (because
> "oelek" means "oil", one person wrote), and if it turns out well
> I'll post the recipe.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen your original message. So here's the answer you were
looking for:

Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian condiment, made of fresh red chile peppers with a
little salt. The recipe couldn't be more simple: puree the chiles in a food
processor. Add salt to taste. I personally don't put salt in my Sambal Oelek.
That way, I can add heat to a dish without also adding salt. When more salt is
needed, I can add it separately.

Keep it in the refrigerator. You can use it as long as the color is still
bright red, like the fresh chiles (it turns brown when it goes bad). If you add
a little acid (like lemon juice or vinegar) you can keep it for a few days
longer before it spoils.

Heiko.
( heiko....@iwg.nl )

fiefie soenarjo

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Janet (ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk) wrote:
: I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
: able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
: is for an indian-type sauce for fish.

Really? For Indian food?
That's strange that it looks for "Sambal Oelek" because "sambal" means
chilli paste in Indonesians and Malay. "Oelek" means blended using
the stone grinder.

Go to the oriental grocery store that specialize in Indonesian food,
you should be able to find it among the other chilli paste.

--
~ ~
-----oooo-^-^--oooo-----

fiefie soenarjo

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Philip F. Wight (ph...@wight.com) wrote:

: BTW, there are various other Sambals: if the receipe calls for sambal

: oelek (oelek means oil) then don't use the other sambals.

Oops! Sorry but I think "Oelek" is an old Indonesian spelling of
"Ulek". And correction, it has nothing to do with "oil". :)
It is just Indonesian chilli paste.

fiefie soenarjo

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Heiko Ebeling (heiko....@iwg.nl) wrote:

: Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian condiment, made of fresh red chile peppers with a

: little salt. The recipe couldn't be more simple: puree the chiles in a food
: processor. Add salt to taste. I personally don't put salt in my Sambal Oelek.
: That way, I can add heat to a dish without also adding salt. When more salt is
: needed, I can add it separately.

Because we use the stone grinder in Indonesia, the salt is added as we
grind (mash) the chili that has been sliced into small strips. The salt
helps in breaking down the chili strips to a paste. It is added only
bit by bit, approximately 1/4 teaspoon depending on the amount of chili
you have. The other reason that salt is used is also because it helps
to retain the freshness of the chili paste else it will turn bad fast.

If you want no trouble, many ppl opt for the blender but it doesn't work
too well because there will still be the little chili strips.

Andy Pforzheimer

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <eu6687z...@ferguson.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, Janet (ja...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk) writes:
>I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
>able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
>is for an indian-type sauce for fish.

It's Indonesian/S.E. Asian hot sauce.

>Thanks
> Janet H.

Greg Metcalfe

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

I haven't been to lucky finding this one in chain grocers. Evan the ones that
sell the Vietnamese "Rooster" goodies. But it's been my experience that any
asian grocer will have it.

If you just can't get it without driving a hundred miles or something, let me
know, and I'll post a recipe. It sure is great stuff.

In article <49...@pfood.win.net>, apf...@pfood.win.net says...

--
Greg Metcalfe | Affordable Web Development
bios...@proaxis.com | Current Suggestion:

Philip F. Wight

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

Sambl oelek is Indonesian for hot chiles with oil. A popular brand of
Sambal Oelek is Conimex, a large Dutch food processor. You can find it in
specialty food stores, and there are numerous Dutch food companies in the
USA that sell it mail order. It's a delicious hot sauce which I use on
many things. A spoonfull in a can of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup makes
a totally different product.

Cheers,
Phil
----------------
In article <4tjt44$k...@news.proaxis.com>, bios...@proaxis.com (Greg

pauline....@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2019, 12:15:20 PM2/19/19
On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.
>
> Thanks
> Janet H.

Try Chili pasteof Suzy Wan, Janet

Sjeef

Feb 19, 2019, 12:20:41 PM2/19/19
Maybe this can help:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

--
Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

notbob

Feb 19, 2019, 1:17:31 PM2/19/19
On 2/19/2019 10:20 AM, Sjeef wrote:

> Maybe this can help:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

Ive bought this brand, before. I'll buy it no more!

In case you haven't noticed, this is the same guy who makes the much
loved Sriracha chili sauce one sees almost everywhere. Sambal Oelek is
supposed to be an Indonesian chili sauce. This brand taste too much
like a Mexican chili sauce (I prefer Cholula).

Huy Fong uses Mexican chilies (serrano? jalapeno?) as his main chile.
How he gets Sriracha to taste like Asian chiles, I cannot say, but his
Sambal Oelek definitely taste like it was made in Mexico fer Mexicans.

If that does not bother you, go for it. ;)

nb

dsi1

Feb 19, 2019, 1:39:47 PM2/19/19
I like the sambal sauce on the table at the Vietnamese restaurant down the street. It has a fermented taste to it with some garlic, fish sauce, and oil added. I'll ask the guy how he makes it the next time I'm there. It's placed on the table in a cheap plastic cup with a ill fitting plastic soft drink cover with a hole cut into it to fit a cheap plastic spoon. It's a very cheap but effective sauce container.

Bruce

Feb 19, 2019, 2:18:16 PM2/19/19
Sambal oelek's not a brand.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 19, 2019, 2:31:53 PM2/19/19
Huy Fong is, though, and the company is a huge purveyor of
Asian sauces (including sambal oelek) in the U.S.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Feb 19, 2019, 2:43:12 PM2/19/19
Conclusion:
Sambal oelek is not a brand.
Huy Fong is a brand.

Dave Smith

Feb 19, 2019, 5:05:15 PM2/19/19
Wow. Possible good information, but almost 23 years late.

notbob

Feb 19, 2019, 5:09:41 PM2/19/19
On 2/19/2019 12:18 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Sambal oelek's not a brand.

I never sed it was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

nb

jmcquown

Feb 19, 2019, 5:18:41 PM2/19/19
Do you realize you're replying to a post from 1996?

Jill

Dave Smith

Feb 19, 2019, 5:18:51 PM2/19/19
I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with a
lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a couple
Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was responding to a
question posted in 1996.

Bruce

Feb 19, 2019, 5:56:00 PM2/19/19
Ok, then I misunderstud ya.

Bruce

Feb 19, 2019, 5:58:25 PM2/19/19
Probably Conimex brand then.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 20, 2019, 5:53:30 AM2/20/19
Of course she doesn't. OTOH, it's stimulated a discussion among
RFC regulars that's actually on topic. (I feel a little guilty
for perpetuating Kuthe's political thread.)

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Feb 20, 2019, 10:07:58 AM2/20/19

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
==

I don't think it matters how old a post is, if it is provoking interest and
discussion .... all is good:))

jmcquown

Feb 20, 2019, 10:27:40 AM2/20/19
It only matters because the person they are replying to from 1996 likely
has figured things out by now. The gmail posters are mainly
fly-by-night. I'd be surprised if he/she ever bothers to come back to
read this.

Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

Jill

dsi1

Feb 20, 2019, 11:31:55 AM2/20/19
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 12:18:51 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with a
> lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a couple
> Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was responding to a
> question posted in 1996.

Those must be Indo-Dutch folks?

I know about the OP question being from a while back. I get to see the entire thread because I use Google Groups. My response is pretty relevant because I've been using sambal sauce when it's on the table. It's wonderful stuff - if you desire extra heat.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/XIxvrSZpFVo/vf3p0scWz0oJ

Gary

Feb 20, 2019, 12:13:36 PM2/20/19
Ophelia wrote:

> I don't think it matters how old a post is, if it is provoking interest and
> discussion .... all is good:))

I certainly agree with you there, O. An old post might never had
been read by others here. No big deal...if it's interesting,
nothing wrong with it...new people and often new ideas. Old food
posts revisited is certainly a nice break from all the bickering
that goes on here.

That said, the bickering here seems to be the glue that keeps
this group going. When food talk gets slack, everyone can just
pick on the person of current interest. lol Once that gets worn
out, another food topic shows up just in the nick of time. :-D

Gary

Feb 20, 2019, 12:15:44 PM2/20/19
jmcquown wrote:

> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

Only 3 of those per day. You read them all don't you, Jill? Come
on...fess up..you do read them all. I'm certainly teasing you
now as I'm LOL. Don't (as in that one pic of you) grit your teeth
and glare as you reach for a knife in the kitchen. That was a
scary pic. I always assumed that your evil x-husband was the one
behind the camera.

Bruce

Feb 20, 2019, 2:05:23 PM2/20/19
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:15:43 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
>> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

"Trolls who are interested in blind dates..." This woman has to leave
home more, see more people. She's creating her own scary little
universe full of Gmail trolls who want to blind date her.

>Only 3 of those per day. You read them all don't you, Jill? Come
>on...fess up..you do read them all. I'm certainly teasing you
>now as I'm LOL. Don't (as in that one pic of you) grit your teeth
>and glare as you reach for a knife in the kitchen. That was a
>scary pic.

lol Maybe she has Resting Glare Face.

>I always assumed that your evil x-husband was the one
>behind the camera.

How can he be evil if she loved him enough to marry him?

Dave Smith

Feb 20, 2019, 2:18:15 PM2/20/19
On 2019-02-20 10:27 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> It only matters because the person they are replying to from 1996 likely
> has figured things out by now.  The gmail posters are mainly
> fly-by-night.  I'd be surprised if he/she ever bothers to come back to
> read this.
>
> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

I think that is more likely one troll using multiple names. My reader is
set to sort by date and the date site posts tend to come in within
minutes of each other in the early morning.

Dave Smith

Feb 20, 2019, 2:25:45 PM2/20/19
On 2019-02-20 11:31 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 12:18:51 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>>

>> I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with
>> a lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a
>> couple Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was
>> responding to a question posted in 1996.
>
> Those must be Indo-Dutch folks?

No. They are Dutch Dutch, the type who immigrate and settle in rural
communities where they farm and build churches and schools. The Dutch
have adopted some Indonesian dishes because of their former colonial
involvement in Indonesia. My wife's second cousin/close friend spent
part of his childhood in Indonesia. The first time we had dinner at his
place he served Indonesian dishes. Some of the restaurants in the towns
with lots of Dutch people serve rice table.

tert in seattle

Feb 20, 2019, 3:00:06 PM2/20/19
j_mc...@comcast.net writes:
>On 2/20/2019 9:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton"A wrote in message

>>> Do you realize you're replying to a post from 1996?
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Of course she doesn't.A OTOH, it's stimulated a discussion among
>> RFC regulars that's actually on topic.A (I feel a little guilty
>> for perpetuating Kuthe's political thread.)
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> ==
>>
>> I don't think it matters how old a post is, if it is provoking interest
>> and discussion .... all is good:))
>>

>It only matters because the person they are replying to from 1996 likely
>has figured things out by now.

I don't know about that ... some people are pretty slow

jmcquown

Feb 20, 2019, 11:31:52 PM2/20/19
On 2/20/2019 9:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Well, it's spicy. I might like a dab of it in a stew meat stew or
something. Not much interested in cooking with it myself.

Jill

Bruce

Feb 21, 2019, 12:27:38 AM2/21/19
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:31:44 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You don't need to add that all the time. We know you have a limited
palate and always cook the same stuff.