New 650B conversion of a 1984 Miyata 912, and a foray into tubeless

Visto 631 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 13:55:5721/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the midst of a 650B conversion that I'm pretty excited about.  I've acquired a 1984 Miyata 912, and it's getting resurrected.  The major enhancement in my eyes is that I'll be converting it from a solid road bike that can take 700x25c tires without fenders, into a bike that can take 650x38B tires with fenders.  This conversion has a couple new aspects for me.  The clearance at the forks and the seatstays was wide enough for Hetres, but it was cozy down at the chainstays.  I researched a little through the various forums and on flickr and got my courage up to crush the chainstays a little bit to make some extra room.  That worked great, and I'll go at it again if I actually decide to run Hetres.  For now it'll be Soma B-Lines.

The other highlights are that I'll be running the new, lighter weight Velocity A23 650B rims, exclusively available from Longleaf in New Hampshire.  Those rims, along with some advice from Anthony at Longleaf has got me convinced to give tubeless a try.  I'm a little freaked out by the concept, and I'm nervous that I'll make a mess of the whole thing, but at the same time I'm excited to learn something new.  Finally, this bike will be the home for a Sugino compact double that I beautified as my first bike part polishing project.  It was a 52/42/30 130/74mm crankset, that I've converted to a chainguard/42/26.

This bike is tagged to become my new commute bike.  I've been using the Bombadil for my daily commute.  That commute involves bike on the roof of the car in the morning (carpool), and then a bike/BART commute home in the evening.  The ride home from BART is 2 miles, 600ft of climbing.  The Bomba is obviously smooth, rugged, and reliable.  The shortcomings are that the Bombadil is heavy for the roof rack, heavy for BART steps, and heavy for the 600ft climb, not to mention valuable to be subjected to 30 miles of freeway roofrackage every morning.  This Miyata will essentially be everything a Bleriot or a Betty Foy would have been for me.  Hopefully I can have it running by next week.

pics show some of the progress:

Michael Hechmer

no leída,
21 may 2012, 14:03:5521/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exciting.  I have an 84 Trek 620 that I have considered for conversion, but have never gotten up the courage or $$.  For now, I've taken off the fenders, which gives me good clearance for JBs.  Keep us posted on how this goes.

Michael

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 14:21:1021/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For me the big deal is BB height before and after.  Plan it out and try to keep it at or above 260mm.  This bike measured 265 with 700x20 tires.  If I went to 650x32, it would drop me 7mm lower into the danger zone.  650x38 drops me 1mm (plus any tire sag), so it should be perfecto.

Kenneth Stagg

no leída,
21 may 2012, 14:27:0821/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly enough for me the idea was to get lower than that -
closer to the 250mm of the Mariposa. I didn't quite make it but
between the drop I did achieve and the reduced trail the handle of my
(now departed) Heron Road was wonderfully light compared to the same
bike with 700x28's.

-Ken
> --
> For more options, visit this group at

Kevin Mulcahy

no leída,
21 may 2012, 15:56:1921/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You're going to commute on Pari-Motos?

Kevin
Chicago, IL

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 16:54:2121/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
" For now it'll be Soma B-Lines. "

Steve Palincsar

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:10:4921/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 13:54 -0700, William wrote:
> " For now it'll be Soma B-Lines. "

but depending on the roads you ride and how flush you feel, it wouldn't
be totally crazy to commute on Pari Motos. I rode them last year on
numerous rides including gravel roads, got 1600 miles or thereabouts
from the back tire. That's better, and they're less expensive, than
some of the people who commute on racing bikes get on their 23mm tires.
> --

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:14:3521/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Pari Motos in the pictures on my flickr are on the wheels of my A Homer Hilsen at the moment.  I pulled a wheel to use as a clearance gauge for the stays.  The Hetres in the pictures are on the wheels of my Bombadil.  The Soma B-Lines are the tires I intend to use tubeless on this bike.

The subtext of your question sounds to me that you think Pari Motos are too light fragile flat-prone and short-lived for commuting.  I've found all the above to be true.  I've gotten a puncture on almost every long ride I've done on Pari Motos.  They are currently on my brevet bike with Foss Innertubes, which I hope will give me better luck.  Some say that tubeless is an excellent way to reduce the frequency of punctures, and I'm also eager to see that for myself.

On Monday, May 21, 2012 12:56:19 PM UTC-7, Kevin Mulcahy wrote:

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:25:0521/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  One should be able to commute on Pari Motos, but my Pari Moto experience has been nothing short of spooky.  It's not uncommon for me to go years between flats on the road, but on Pari Motos, it's almost every ride.  I don't ride a whole lot, probably in the neighborhood of 5000 miles per year.  So I put em on, get a few flats, get annoyed and switch out to something else.  Then I want to go light again, and I put them back on, get a few more flats, and switch them back out.
> rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com.

Jim M.

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:37:5421/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 21, 2012 2:14:35 PM UTC-7, William wrote:
Some say that tubeless is an excellent way to reduce the frequency of punctures, and I'm also eager to see that for myself.

Tubeless are great. I haven't had a flat in four years with tubeless on my mountain bike. Two things about set up: a compressor helps a lot, and soapy water on the bead will help them inflate. Not the cheapest compressors that will inflate beach balls and air mattresses; you want something with a tank, which will probably run $80 to $90.

jim m
wc ca

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:42:4421/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that tip.  I'll probably do the wheelbuild and the tire installation at the bike shop where I used to work.  That'll give me access to a burly compressor.

Joe Bunik

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:44:0421/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Or, a neighbor like Jim ;-)

New business opportunity:
Mather's Filling Station

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA
> --

Steve Palincsar

no leída,
21 may 2012, 17:59:3521/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 14:25 -0700, William wrote:
> I agree. One should be able to commute on Pari Motos, but my Pari
> Moto experience has been nothing short of spooky. It's not uncommon
> for me to go years between flats on the road, but on Pari Motos, it's
> almost every ride. I don't ride a whole lot, probably in the
> neighborhood of 5000 miles per year. So I put em on, get a few flats,
> get annoyed and switch out to something else. Then I want to go light
> again, and I put them back on, get a few more flats, and switch them
> back out.

You think there's any chance you've got something sharp embedded in the
tires that keeps giving you the same flat over and over again?

William

no leída,
21 may 2012, 18:18:0721/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, good idea, but no.  It's always something different that I'll find in there.  Thorn this time, wire next time, glass the time after that.  Each time I'd put the tires on, use them for short rides for a few weeks, get my confidence back up, and then at mile 85 of a 200k there I'll be with a flat.  Easily fixed and easily diagnosed, but still annoying, since it practically never happens with any other tire.

RonaTD

no leída,
21 may 2012, 20:59:4721/5/12
a RBW Owners Bunch
On May 21, 2:56 pm, Kevin Mulcahy <kpmulc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're going to commute on Pari-Motos?

I've been regularly commuting on Pari Motos for almost two years now,
with two flats total. 9-10 miles each way, suburban streets, paved
bike path, and city streets. Plus a 600k solo involving a lot of
gravel and a few brevets. I have no qualms recommending them for
commuting unless you ride in an urban jungle or where there are
goatheads.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI, USA

Patrick in VT

no leída,
22 may 2012, 16:10:2522/5/12
a RBW Owners Bunch
On May 21, 5:42 pm, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for that tip.  I'll probably do the wheelbuild and the tire
> installation at the bike shop where I used to work.  That'll give me access
> to a burly compressor.

a compressor definitely helps, but I've had good luck with a track
pump and soapy water (rims are UST though, so that probably helped
seating). it's a simple process and shouldn't be messy at all if the
tire and rim work together. just don't bug out if they don't seal up/
hold pressure right away. If the sidewalls on the b-lines are porous,
it might take a day or two for the sealant to do its thing.

I can't imagine using tubes again on my MTB. it's just a better way
to roll.

William

no leída,
22 may 2012, 16:37:3722/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The thing that I'm not clear on is what actually is happening to the sealant goo?  Is it hardening into a rubber coating?  Is the entire inside of the tire and rimstrip coated?  So when you remove the tire when it's worn out, you are destroying that seal by ripping it apart.  What about the puddle of extra sealant at the end?  If you leave that pooled in the bottom, does that make an offcenter lump that shakes the workstand when you spin the wheel, same as a reflector?  I'd hate that.  Or does it stay liquid and slosh around forever?  Or does it magically go away?  If I do mount tires again, I need more sealant, right?  At some point I imagine the weight of a few sealing jobs could exceed the weight of a tube.  Is that crazy talk?

Allingham II, Thomas J

no leída,
22 may 2012, 16:38:5722/5/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Stupid (or at least uninformed) question: What's the advantage of tubeless?