Intro from new Riv rider

Jim

Jan 29, 2012, 7:41:59 PM1/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Greetings:

I've been lurking here for a while, starting when I was waiting for Riv to send me my new A Homer Hilsen, which arrived in November.  It's a 72cm, 2TT version, which is needed to manage my 6'8", 280# frame.  It is a fairly standard Riv build (like me, built for comfort, not speed.....), though the wheels are Velocity LX Cliffhangers and the tires are 38mm Schwalbe Duremes, recommended for this "heavy duty" application.  I took a couple pictures during its shakedown ride after I assembled it.

Since those were taken I added a large Sackville saddle sack and some other commuterish items, and have been mainly riding it between home and town, a 15 mile roundtrip, for commuting to work and shopping.  I'm hoping to explore more of the countryside as the weather improves.  Home is Boulder, CO, so there is a lot to explore!

This is the first new bicycle I've had in 40 years, my other bike is a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, which I still ride.  It hasn't got much use though, since Homer arrived, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Pics of that bike are here if you are interested:

I look forward to participating here and getting to know you folks.

Jim Fekete
Boulder, CO

robert zeidler

Jan 29, 2012, 7:51:50 PM1/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the Riv world and to the tall riders sub-group.

Nice bike!

On Sunday, January 29, 2012, Jim <james...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I've been lurking here for a while, starting when I was waiting for Riv to send me my new A Homer Hilsen, which arrived in November.  It's a 72cm, 2TT version, which is needed to manage my 6'8", 280# frame.  It is a fairly standard Riv build (like me, built for comfort, not speed.....), though the wheels are Velocity LX Cliffhangers and the tires are 38mm Schwalbe Duremes, recommended for this "heavy duty" application.  I took a couple pictures during its shakedown ride after I assembled it.
>
> JimSAHHPhotos | 102411392699939180397

> Since those were taken I added a large Sackville saddle sack and some other commuterish items, and have been mainly riding it between home and town, a 15 mile roundtrip, for commuting to work and shopping.  I'm hoping to explore more of the countryside as the weather improves.  Home is Boulder, CO, so there is a lot to explore!
>
> This is the first new bicycle I've had in 40 years, my other bike is a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, which I still ride.  It hasn't got much use though, since Homer arrived, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Pics of that bike are here if you are interested:
>
> SuperSport | 102411392699939180397

> I look forward to participating here and getting to know you folks.
>
> Jim Fekete
> Boulder, CO

Bertin753

Jan 29, 2012, 7:56:07 PM1/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Welcome. And wow!

Patrick Moore, who was just impressed recently when seeing a 65 cm Bates path racer on CR.

Patrick Moore
iPhone

David T.

Jan 29, 2012, 8:03:34 PM1/29/12
to RBW Owners Bunch

I was going to say "nice bike" but I think "awe-inspiring" would be
more accurate. I got my Rivendell because I couldn't find anyone else
who designs bikes for tall people. I think they cover small people as
well.

I wonder if that is the biggest production bike they have made?

Montclair BobbyB

Jan 29, 2012, 8:19:34 PM1/29/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim:

Congratulations on the purchase of your second bike... what a bike!...
and may you enjoy IT for the NEXT 40 years!

Peace,
BB

Michael Hechmer

Jan 29, 2012, 8:27:29 PM1/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great looking bike Jim.  I'm guessing you have spent a great deal of your life searching for things like shoes and chairs which fit your frame.  It must be enormously satisfying to find a bike that fits and performs, as well as looks so good.

Keep the rubber side down,
Michael
Westford, VT

dougP

Jan 29, 2012, 8:59:20 PM1/29/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim:

Congrats on the new ride. "First new bike in 40 years...." WOW! You
really like to work 'em to death? Well, no way are you going to wear
this one out.

If the 2TT discussion ever comes up again, I submit the photo as
Exhibit A to the question "Why?". At least for a Really Big Frame.

dougP

On Jan 29, 4:41 pm, Jim <jamesfek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I've been lurking here for a while, starting when I was waiting for Riv to
> send me my new A Homer Hilsen, which arrived in November.  It's a 72cm, 2TT
> version, which is needed to manage my 6'8", 280# frame.  It is a fairly
> standard Riv build (like me, built for comfort, not speed.....), though the
> wheels are Velocity LX Cliffhangers and the tires are 38mm Schwalbe
> Duremes, recommended for this "heavy duty" application.  I took a couple
> pictures during its shakedown ride after I assembled it.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102411392699939180397/JimSAHHPhotos?auth...
>
> Since those were taken I added a large Sackville saddle sack and some other
> commuterish items, and have been mainly riding it between home and town, a
> 15 mile roundtrip, for commuting to work and shopping.  I'm hoping to
> explore more of the countryside as the weather improves.  Home is Boulder,
> CO, so there is a lot to explore!
>
> This is the first new bicycle I've had in 40 years, my other bike is a 1972
> Schwinn Super Sport, which I still ride.  It hasn't got much use though,
> since Homer arrived, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Pics of that
> bike are here if you are interested:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102411392699939180397/SuperSport?authuse...

Jim

Jan 29, 2012, 11:58:33 PM1/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's the longest seat tube, but interestingly enough, the 68cm Bombadil has higher standover.

Jim

Jan 30, 2012, 12:01:21 AM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is absolutely correct.  I was seriously thinking about a custom, probably a Gunnar Grand Tour, but when you see the Riv frames, and you know they are "right", and they are beautiful, it felt like the right decision from the get-go.

Jim

cyclotourist

Jan 30, 2012, 1:04:15 AM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That bike is awesome! Love it.

> --
> rbw-owners-bun...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
“I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an
America that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s
the America I love.”

Kelly

Jan 30, 2012, 1:37:38 AM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful...sure doesn't look slow... And the more I see them the more I love the 2tt

Kelly

Allingham II, Thomas J

Jan 30, 2012, 9:53:30 AM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Welcome, welvcome, welcome.  Your Schwinn is an inspiration.

Jan 30, 2012, 11:58:53 AM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jim, Welcome to the group and thanks for the intro and photos.  That's quite an impressive bike.  As one from the other end of the height spectrum, I too appreciate Rivendell's range.  Especially their promotion of the 650b wheel size, as it is better for small frames.  I know you will enjoy your bike.   Steve

rperks

Jan 30, 2012, 12:20:42 PM1/30/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome, and fantastic bike. First thing that popped into my mind
when I looked at the profile shot was how incredible the space between
the rack and saddle for a saddle bag. Or even just bags in general
all over this bike, or the creativity one could explore with down tube
or under tube shifter mounts.

Have fun with it, looks like plenty of range to explore in the
background too, and keep the pictures coming.

Rob

On Jan 29, 4:41 pm, Jim <jamesfek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I've been lurking here for a while, starting when I was waiting for Riv to
> send me my new A Homer Hilsen, which arrived in November.  It's a 72cm, 2TT
> version, which is needed to manage my 6'8", 280# frame.  It is a fairly
> standard Riv build (like me, built for comfort, not speed.....), though the
> wheels are Velocity LX Cliffhangers and the tires are 38mm Schwalbe
> Duremes, recommended for this "heavy duty" application.  I took a couple
> pictures during its shakedown ride after I assembled it.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102411392699939180397/JimSAHHPhotos?auth...
>
> Since those were taken I added a large Sackville saddle sack and some other
> commuterish items, and have been mainly riding it between home and town, a
> 15 mile roundtrip, for commuting to work and shopping.  I'm hoping to
> explore more of the countryside as the weather improves.  Home is Boulder,
> CO, so there is a lot to explore!
>
> This is the first new bicycle I've had in 40 years, my other bike is a 1972
> Schwinn Super Sport, which I still ride.  It hasn't got much use though,
> since Homer arrived, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Pics of that
> bike are here if you are interested:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102411392699939180397/SuperSport?authuse...

William

Jan 30, 2012, 1:12:57 PM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is positively splendid.

Forrest

Jan 30, 2012, 7:09:10 PM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Have you named your bike yet? Possibly "Tall Drink of Water"?

Amit Singh

Jan 30, 2012, 7:09:25 PM1/30/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on your totally beautiful bicycle! I wish you lots of
adventure and fun :)

On Jan 30, 1:12 pm, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is positively splendid.

Marty

Jan 30, 2012, 7:42:21 PM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Joining the chorus on this great tall bike. Would love to see it on the Tall Riders Flickr Group:

Andrew

Jan 30, 2012, 7:54:26 PM1/30/12
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Marty <mgi...@mac.com> wrote:
Joining the chorus on this great tall bike. Would love to see it on the Tall Riders Flickr Group:

Hey, look at that - there's a Tall Rivendell Riders group! My Quickbeam might be "only" 66cm, but at 6'6" I think we qualify. I'll get an action cornering shot with some razor-thin pedal strike clearance, and post it up.

And welcome, Jim, to the world of Rivendell frames. Nothing better for us big and heavy guys.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Jim

Jan 30, 2012, 11:07:34 PM1/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow.....thanks for all the kind words, guys!  I really am enjoying the ride.

@ Marty.   I'll definitely get it up on that flicker group.  Nice set of bikes there!

@ Forrest  No name yet.   Easy enough to just call it "Homer",not like there are a bunch of them around here  ;-)

@ rperks  That saddle to rack distance is such that it is a REAL stretch to install the large saddle sack, if you zip tie it to the rack, you can't reach the saddle with the straps.  I ended up hooking the saddle straps first, then tieing to the rack.  But it's stretched tight.

@ Andrew  Yeah, you qualify!  :-)

I had to take it off active duty tonight, though.  I've hit a few bumps kinda hard over the past few weeks, and coming home tonight, a slight noise developed, that syncd to wheel rpm.  So, I put it on the rack tonight and the rear wheel was ..ahem...a little out of true (noise was brake rub), and a few of the spokes on the drive side were ....ahem...loose.    Wheel truing is out of my paygrade, so I'll be taking it to a local shop.  Which one is still up in the air.  When I needed some work done on the Schwinn, no one would touch it....too old; I finally got a lead to a shop in Denver (Cycle Analyst....recommended!) who took care of it.  I'd like to find someone local and Riv-friendly, so if there are any Boulderites lurking here that could give me a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it!  I'm going out of town in a couple day for about a week, so not in a huge hurry, but would like to get it fixed shorly after my return.

Thanks,

Jim in Boulder

William

Jan 31, 2012, 1:03:40 AM1/31/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Geo Charts say a 72cm Homer has a 96.5cm standover.  Guessing at the headset stack and the stem quill length, I'm getting the tips of your brakelevers up to just over 4 feet high.  That's basically identical to my 3rd grade daughter's height.

dougP

Jan 31, 2012, 6:01:01 PM1/31/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
So to get into the tall riders club, is there a height bar like the
amusement parks? "You must be at least this tall to go on this ride."

Kudos to Rivendell for producing bikes for everyone. My 5'-2" tall
wife loves her 47 cm Atlantis. None of that "...XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL..."
sizing business.

dougP

dougP

Jan 31, 2012, 6:58:25 PM1/31/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just wandered into this & couldn't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S66UW_0jqw

Pre-Riv ad for lugged steel bike for a really tall guy. Great fun;
enjoy.

dougP

Jim

Feb 1, 2012, 12:34:37 PM2/1/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's fantastic.  I feel for that guy....  Those giant Panasonic frames show up on craigs list and e-bay from time to time.

Jim in Boulder

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Feb 1, 2012, 2:04:06 PM2/1/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For you REALLY tall guys, I have a 75 cm (c-t) Osell custom hanging in my basement. I'd like to send it to a good home...

Geoff

Feb 4, 2012, 1:53:13 PM2/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the group, and congrats on your AHH!  It's a beautiful bike, and you've got some beautiful countryside, there.

Kudos to Rivendell for making their amazing bikes available for such a wide range of people sizes.

JL

Jan 30, 2012, 12:51:22 AM1/30/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

What is the standover height on your bike? Is it 96.5 as listed in
the most recent geometry chart? (tires would effect that, just
curious what you are working with) It must be the up-sloping top tube
on the Bombadil that put it higher.

JL

JL

Jan 29, 2012, 8:19:44 PM1/29/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

Welcome!

I really dig the light and lean build you have in those pictures. No
doubt the AHH is a great ride, with the addition of the saddle sack
and other bits you must be commuting in style.

I ride considerably smaller bikes. I used to own a 54cm RIvendell
Saluki (a 650b bike that is now part of the AHH line) I still regret
parting with it.

JL

J L

Jan 30, 2012, 12:39:46 AM1/30/12
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Jim <james...@gmail.com> wrote:
That is absolutely correct.  I was seriously thinking about a custom, probably a Gunnar Grand Tour, but when you see the Riv frames, and you know they are "right", and they are beautiful, it felt like the right decision from the get-go.

Jim

Jim

Feb 7, 2012, 3:17:12 PM2/7/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is an excellent question, and I will measure it once I get back
to town (Sunday) and get the wheels back on it (being serviced as we
speak, trip was a good time to take them off line). My PBH is 100,
and this bike is definitely not too small!

Jim
> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

islaysteve

Feb 7, 2012, 4:46:00 PM2/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
PBH 100!?  My god man, I could do chinups on the top tube!  LOL  (and yes, I know what kind of comments I'd get if I posted this on Bikesnob.  But we're more civilized, no?)

Jim

Feb 19, 2012, 11:20:17 PM2/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi JL:

Got the wheels back on the bike, and measured the standover at 97cm, that is with 700c x 40 Schawalbe Duremes.

Jim