Front rack for A. Homer Hilsen

Michael Richters

Oct 7, 2012, 12:29:04 AM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for a front rack for my AHH to support a handlebar bag.
Unfortunately, the VO rack that I've got has struts that are much too
short to reach the eyelets on the fork blades. It looks like a Mark's
Rack would reach, but that one doesn't seem to have any provision for
mounting a headlight. Does anyone here know of a front rack that just
fits? In case it matters, it's a 58cm (650B) frame.

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Oct 7, 2012, 12:42:18 AM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think one of the Berthoud mini front racks would work.

Brian Hanson

Oct 7, 2012, 1:32:04 AM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Let me know what you find, Michael.  I did a hack to get a headlight on mine, and while it works, I would prefer something that was made for a light mounted under the platform.

Brian H
Seattle, WA

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <thil...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think one of the Berthoud mini front racks would work.

Seth Vidal

Oct 7, 2012, 7:56:42 AM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Marks' rack has a plate on the very front that you can mount a cyo light to easily.

You can sort of see it in this picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skvidal/7229239372/

-sv

Jim Cloud

Oct 7, 2012, 12:54:25 PM10/7/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've mounted a B&M dynamo headlight on my Mark's Rack using a bracket
that is available from Boulder Bicycle (aka Rene Herse). This is the
same bracket that is used on the Boulder Bicycle randonneur bike.
Here's a photo showing the bracket on a Boulder Bicycle randonneur:
http://www.csrichards.com/allroad/content/IMG_3358_large.html

This bracket is shown here, as it's mounted on my Rivendell Road
Standard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37964304@N05/5326175546/sizes/l/in/set-72157619758078965/

I used a Nitto rack nut and bolt (available from Rivbike:
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/rh1-20184.htm ) to attach the bracket
to the strut of the Mark's Rack. I like this mounting since it really
permits a very considerable amount of adjustment for light placement.
It's also very stable, the light bracket from Boulder Bicycle is quite
sturdy. Since I put my Mark's Rack and light bracket together, I see
that Mike Kone actually offers the same set-up on his website:
http://www.renehersestore.com/servlet/the-686/Nitto-M18-Rack-for/Detail

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

On Oct 6, 9:29 pm, Michael Richters <michael.richt...@gmail.com>

David Spranger

Oct 7, 2012, 1:13:57 PM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice idea, Jim! Hope you don't mind that I am going to steal that one for an upcoming Hilsen build. I have an M-18 rack and was looking for ideas on mounting the light.

David
Charlotte, NC

Jim Cloud

Oct 7, 2012, 1:51:28 PM10/7/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
David,
I obviously don't might anyone using the idea. I'm wondering if Mike
Kone at Boulder Bicycles didn't actually come across my Flickr
photostream before he offered the set-up.

He certainly didn't have it available when I started my effort to
mount a headlight on my Mark's Rack. At the time, Boulder Bicycle had
made the light bracket only as custom item for use on the Nitto M12
rack that he was using on the Boulder Rando bikes. Maybe we just both
arrived at the same solution to a problem!

Be aware that the light bracket is designed to accommodate an Edelux
or Cyo headlight. Depending on the headlight that you choose to use,
you might have to do some judicious filing on the bracket to fit it to
another light. This is what I did to fit my B&M headlight. It was no
big deal, but I did have to file the contour of the bracket end to fit
the recess of a B&M headlight. It was quite easy to do.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

On Oct 7, 10:13 am, David Spranger <daspran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice idea, Jim! Hope you don't mind that I am going to steal that one for
> an upcoming Hilsen build. I have an M-18 rack and was looking for ideas on
> mounting the light.
>
> David
> Charlotte, NC
>

> On Sunday, October 7, 2012 12:54:28 PM UTC-4, Jim Cloud wrote:
>
> > I've mounted a B&M dynamo headlight on my Mark's Rack using a bracket
> > that is available from Boulder Bicycle (aka Rene Herse).  This is the
> > same bracket that is used on the Boulder Bicycle randonneur bike.
> > Here's a photo showing the bracket on a Boulder Bicycle randonneur:
> >http://www.csrichards.com/allroad/content/IMG_3358_large.html
>
> > This bracket is shown here, as it's mounted on my Rivendell Road
> > Standard:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/37964304@N05/5326175546/sizes/l/in/set-7...
>
> > I used a Nitto rack nut and bolt (available from Rivbike:
> >http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/rh1-20184.htm) to attach the bracket

Ron Mc

Oct 7, 2012, 2:33:33 PM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Won't help with the light bracket, but with an M-18, you can use long Nitto stays and cut them to whatever length you need.
On my old Raleigh, I reached down to grab the dropouts, and still cut a couple of inches from the stays.

Stonehog

Oct 7, 2012, 7:56:38 PM10/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jim!

Mobile Brian Hanson

Jim Cloud

Oct 7, 2012, 11:35:34 PM10/7/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Brian,

I hope it's useful for you!

Jim

On Oct 7, 4:56 pm, Stonehog <stone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Jim!
>
> Mobile Brian Hanson
>
> On Oct 7, 2012, at 9:54 AM, Jim Cloud <Cloud...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > I've mounted a B&M dynamo headlight on my Mark's Rack using a bracket
> > that is available from Boulder Bicycle (aka Rene Herse).  This is the
> > same bracket that is used on the Boulder Bicycle randonneur bike.
> > Here's a photo showing the bracket on a Boulder Bicycle randonneur:
> >http://www.csrichards.com/allroad/content/IMG_3358_large.html
>
> > This bracket is shown here, as it's mounted on my Rivendell Road
> > Standard:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/37964304@N05/5326175546/sizes/l/in/set-7...
>
> > I used a Nitto rack nut and bolt (available from Rivbike:
> >http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/rh1-20184.htm) to attach the bracket

William

Oct 8, 2012, 1:31:20 PM10/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've been delighted with the front and center placement of my headlamp on the front tab that the Mark's Rack (and Nitto Mini Front Rack) comes with.

Toshi Takeuchi

Oct 8, 2012, 1:50:10 PM10/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Me too.  Here's my setup on my AHH with IQ Cyo standard bracket.

Seth Vidal

Oct 8, 2012, 1:51:19 PM10/8/12
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Toshi Takeuchi <tto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Me too. Here's my setup on my AHH with IQ Cyo standard bracket.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/42771204@N00/6988274498/

Mine is the same. You can also flip the bracket so the light is angled
down, closer to the wheel.

-sv