46 Noodles swapped for 42s

PATRICK MOORE

Feb 11, 2012, 7:39:10 PM2/11/12
to rbw-owners-bunch
I just swapped out the 46 cm Noodles for a pair of 42s (thanks, Dylan -- I'll mail the 46s this coming week) and I must say that I much prefer the narrower ones. I've got them at the same height and reach and feared that they would feel too close, but they feel just right. I've tried wide bars -- Noodles, all sorts of different dirt drop flares including the original WTBs and Salsas, but I keep coming back to more narrow ones. In fact, I put 38/42 -- or perhaps they are 37/41; forget --  Compass Bicycle Maes Parallels on the two Rivs and I must say those are the nicest road bars I've used. (And, they are made by NItto to an even nicer finish than the Noodles, etc).

The only thing I miss -- slightly -- from the 46s is the additional room on the flats on either side of the rather wide tubular bar bag; but that is a minor price for the greater comfort otherwise.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM

Stonehog

Feb 11, 2012, 9:04:41 PM2/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owners-bunch
Funny - I am trying some older Nitto B115 olympiads in a 39 (from an 80's Soma - polished up nice with simichrome, BTW). So far I am finding them very nice. I have also used 46 noodles and wasn't enamored with them. I haven't done a longer ride with them yet, but I have a couple coming up.

Brian
Seattle

charlie

Feb 11, 2012, 10:00:25 PM2/11/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wide bars are nice for off road but I find the narrower ones more
comfy for road riding. I think Grants bias is due to having either
long arms and wide shoulders or a preference for more control in off
road situations.....just mt guess.
Message has been deleted

newenglandbike

Feb 12, 2012, 6:23:40 AM2/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Charlie-   the wide ones seem better for offroad riding.   Still, I traded 46s I had on my Bombadil for 42s last year and don't want to go back.    I must have to to do with my narrow bird-like shoulders :D    Bottom line for me though either size of Noodle bar are the best bars I've ridden yet.     The backsweep + flat ramps and drops equals unparalleled comfort.

I remember reading about a year ago, maybe in a Rivendell blog post, that steel Noodles were in the works.    I really like that idea.

-Matt

robert zeidler

Feb 12, 2012, 7:19:28 AM2/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Likewise, this is why I've never agreed with a narrow Q-factor being best for all. It mskes sense thst if shoulders are wider hips will be also.

Mike

Feb 12, 2012, 9:11:15 AM2/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Feb 12, 4:19 am, robert zeidler <zeidler.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Likewise, this is why I've never agreed with a narrow Q-factor being best
> for all. It mskes sense thst if shoulders are wider hips will be also.

I have to agree with Robert on this. My randonneuring bike has VO TA
knock-offs with the narrow q-factor and it just doesn't feel right
where as the Suginos, double and triple, that I'm running on other
bikes feel much better.

I have 48 Noodles on my LHT and love them for riding off-road and with
a load. My Hilsen and rando bike sport 46s. I've loved the Noodles but
they do have a long reach and drop. I just put a pair of Salsa Cowbell
3 bars in 46 on my Cross Check and will head out for a ride in a
little while. I really like the short reach and drop on the bars. They
flare out also which is nice. I could actually see riding them in 44
on a dedicated road bike.

I signed up for the Cascade 1200k in June. I've been contemplating
changes for my rando bike, possibly a different bar and cranks.

robert zeidler

Feb 12, 2012, 9:35:49 AM2/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To that end, I have the Nitto 105/115 on a lot of bikes, and feel it's the best bar ever made.
I have a 48 noodle on my Qbeam and it's just too wide.
I love my bikes w/ old TA cranks because of the gearing choices but can get the same w/ a Carmina and don't feel like I'm rolling everything onto the outside of my foot.

Eric

Feb 11, 2012, 9:40:06 PM2/11/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
What's your shoulder width?

Alex Moll

Feb 12, 2012, 12:17:00 AM2/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gotta be something to do with shoulder width. I love my 48 noodles.
The narrow bars are really to only thing I don't love about my vintage
rides. They handle great with the narrow bars, but I'm just not as
comfortable. I'm a little bigger than average at 6'3" 200lbs.

Alex

PATRICK MOORE

Feb 12, 2012, 12:45:49 PM2/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Haven't measured that or my PBH. I'm not huge; slender build, 5'10" of height mostly in the torso (Asian, not a dwarf); ride anything from a 57 to a 60 depending on tt length; 42 or so long and 16 1/2 - 33-34: so middle size.

I think the 42s will be fine off road. I tend to use the hoods and ramps on rough terrain and use the flats only for the occasional sit-up-and-beg. In any event, my off-roading is mostly fire, acequia and service roads with the greatest obstacle being sand.

Ryan Watson

Feb 12, 2012, 1:42:05 PM2/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm the freak who needs 48cm bars and a 120mm q-factor!

Way Rebb

Feb 13, 2012, 3:01:34 AM2/13/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been thinking about going from 46 to 44. I just swapped out a
10cm stem for an 8 on the Hillborne and its like a new bike. I think
a little narrower bar would bring it all together. I've also been
checking out the Compass Randonneur bars but they seem to be 38.5 or
something. They look interesting though.

Regards,
Ray

clyde canter

Feb 13, 2012, 12:41:42 PM2/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Isn't the lean toward wide drop bars relative to saddle height?.  IE.....the higher the bars the narrower the feel.

CycloFiend

Feb 13, 2012, 2:49:39 PM2/13/12
on 2/13/12 9:41 AM, clyde canter at clyde....@gmail.com wrote:

Isn't the lean toward wide drop bars relative to saddle height?.  IE.....the higher the bars the narrower the feel.

Never really heard that - the higher, the closer they physically move.

--
Jim Edgar
Cyclo...@earthlink.net