Beautiful 68cm Rivendell Bombadil

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 10:07:57 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amisingh/7980699538/

Another Bombadil w/ 60mm tires and fenders.

Converted from mountain bike to touring bike duty for my upcoming C&O Canal / Allegheny Passage tour.

Excited!

Tom Harrop

Sep 13, 2012, 10:24:33 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that is a nice bike. I wanted that colour scheme too, but it would've taken too long.

Lyle Bogart

Sep 13, 2012, 10:28:42 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Amit, that is a beautiful bike! Enjoy the upcoming tour.

Cheers!

lyle

On 13 September 2012 10:24, Tom Harrop <twha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, that is a nice bike. I wanted that colour scheme too, but it would've taken too long.

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

Kelly

Sep 13, 2012, 11:40:02 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Amit,

Looks great, and I guess if it fits yours I will be able to retrofit mine once my 50's wear out.   Getting close buddy... about 2 weeks till we start pedaling out of DC.

Kelly
Message has been deleted

PittsburghRider

Sep 13, 2012, 4:34:23 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great Looking bike!
I've ridden the GAP/C&O in both directions.  I know you'll enjoy it.  Are you doing a guided tour?  We would be willing to come out for a day, and ride a part of it, between OhioPyle and Pittsburgh, if the timing is right.

Cheers,
Rusty

Montclair BobbyB

Sep 13, 2012, 6:01:16 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous build, Amit... I rode my double TT Bomba on the 2012 Riv Rally East route (from Cumberland MD to Ohiopyle)... it was blissful.  Enjoy and of course please share pics!!!

Peace,
BB

William

Sep 13, 2012, 6:51:38 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I hope that's just a photo illusion but the forks look bent.  The upper fork legs are not parallel with the headtube, in the photo.  Maybe in real life they are.  Careful!

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 9:07:11 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bubba !!!  Why'd you drop this idea in my mind?!

Can someone else tell me the fork is perfect and not to worry about it?  GP, you'd be the supreme authority here, of course.

So ... what are the implications if a fork is not perfect?  This bicycle tracks perfect no hands, anything else to worry about?

Amit

William

Sep 13, 2012, 9:15:24 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry man.  I love you, so I tell you the truth.  It looks bent.  :(

At least one person told me that he agreed with me.  I'm sure it's fine to use.

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 9:19:26 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So ... now what?!

Montclair BobbyB

Sep 13, 2012, 9:26:10 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Uh oh... it's the Bubba-meter... Now I'm scared to let him scan MY bikes... (Note to self: Add Bill to Flickr block list)...

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 9:36:41 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's another look before the rebuild:

So ... now that I've gotten a motion of bent fork and a second, what does this mean?  What are the negative (or positive?) consequences of this?  Should I care or just keep riding?

Jeremy Till

Sep 13, 2012, 9:39:37 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I also hate to say it, but that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the first photo.  I let it go because it's always hard to tell from a single photo, but now that I've seen another, I have to agree...that thing is bent man.

The fact that it's bent forward is interesting and concerning.  Forks are usually bent backwards from some type of crash, in which the front wheel is stopped by an obstacle and the weight of the bike bends the fork backwards under it.  Bending forward means that the bending force was solely vertical--like hopping off a curb carrying a lot of weight.  In any case, I'd be wary about loaded touring with that thing.  Chances are that now weakened, it would keep bending or even worse, crack at the crown.

Send it back to Riv, or else get the correct fork rake specs and have a framebuilder or well-equipped (i.e. with fork jig) LBS bend it back for you, and then keep an eagle eye on it.  Or just get a new fork.  I

James Warren

Sep 13, 2012, 9:40:16 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is there any reason it would be bent? Have you had any crashes? If not and it tracks straight, I would not come to any conclusions yet. Camera images can be tricky.

Sent from my iPhone

David T.

Sep 13, 2012, 9:41:39 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Maybe if you take the photograph from a slightly different angle it will straighten the fork.

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 9:52:48 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Aiight. I'll hit up Doug Fattic in the morning.  In the meanwhile I'll continue riding BombaLove through the weekend.

Amit Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 10:10:35 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You know what?  It tracks perfect, rides straight and true, even no hands. I'm going to just ride it.  :)

Marty

Sep 13, 2012, 10:32:25 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I bent a fork forward like that (actually broke it) but not in any riding mode. It was on top of my Jeep and I ran it into my carport (forgetting it was up there) No other damage, but the combination of the force and the way the bike was held (Thule upright mount) the fork took the force directly, and literally cracked the crown casting. Amit, I may have missed something, but did you buy this new or used? Here's what my fork looked like after the event:

Jim M.

Sep 13, 2012, 10:57:36 PM9/13/12
On Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:10:35 PM UTC-7, Amit Singh wrote:
You know what?  It tracks perfect, rides straight and true, even no hands. I'm going to just ride it.  :)

That's the best way to tell, and that's one of the benefits of steel. Unless you suspect something happened to bend it, it's probably just the angle of the photo. And a bend by itself isn't bad; a crack or separation from the fork crown would be, but you should be able to see paint damage from a crack.

jim m
wc ca

Leslie

Sep 13, 2012, 11:06:34 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I could be wrong, but I think it's a function of being a larger bike; that the size of it makes a little angle look 'bent' when it's really built that way...

Alex Moll

Sep 13, 2012, 11:21:21 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good chance it's an optical illusion - pics can be funny that way. Get it checked out if it'll ease your mind, but from your description of the ride, I don't think there's anything wrong. Ride on!

Alex

Amit Singh

Sep 14, 2012, 12:00:01 AM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A good friend took the time to search through my flickr stream and found this:

Straight as an ---------->

Lyle Bogart

Sep 14, 2012, 6:13:53 AM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Amit,

At worst, it looks as if *maybe* the fork was not squared up when it the steerer tube was fixed to the crown, so I'd imagine that the structural integrity should be fine. If it handles well, I wouldn't worry about it. With the change in rake/trail, it'd be a better front-load carrier than it otherwise would be ;-)

For what it's worth, and this is a very different situation, I had a trek 520 back in the early 80s. I bent the forks in an accident in which I broadsided a car that had pulled out in front of me. I "fixed" it by repeatedly swinging the whole bike and striking the rearward side of the front tire against a curb until the front wheel was 'bout where I wanted it to be. It handled just fine and I put many, many more miles on it. . . the beauty of steel!

Cheers!

lyle
--
lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

Marc Schwartz

Sep 14, 2012, 9:37:24 AM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mr. Bogart. Steerer tube might have moved a TINY bit while brazing it to the fork crown due to uneven heating- cooling? I emphasize TINY, some pics look as parallel as can be. No visible cracks? Enjoy the scenery and the tour you've planned. For that fork.....

FUGGEDABOUDIT !!!!
[...]

207.882.6494
206.794.6937

On 13 September 2012 21:19, Amit Singh <asd...@gmail.com<mailto:asd...@gmail.com>> wrote:
So ... now what?!

Here's another photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amisingh/7983927516/

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:07:58 AM UTC-7, Amit Singh wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amisingh/7980699538/

Another Bombadil w/ 60mm tires and fenders.

Converted from mountain bike to touring bike duty for my upcoming C&O Canal / Allegheny Passage tour.

Excited!

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578
207.882.6494
206.794.6937

clyde canter

Sep 14, 2012, 11:38:50 AM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
First ever low trail Riv?

grant

Sep 14, 2012, 12:13:39 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Lisssin...to Alex Moll. You can tell it's distortion because the barcurves don't come close to lining up. If the cameramanamit had shifted the camera to the right and made them line up (a visual asthetic exemplified and insisted on here at the Works, but we don't push that on the rest of the world---I'm just saying, check out any bike we shoot and you'll see)---yes, but if you go up close and wide and move to the right, the wheels become different sizes. You'd think, with all the talk and all, that Riv would be more careful! (kind of a joke, and still trying to keep my zero emoticon streak going, although it's a small thing.)

davidfrench

Sep 14, 2012, 1:12:07 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Amit, I hate you!
:-)

That said, as a photographer, if I can give you an advice when shooting your bikes, is to go as far away from the bike and zoom in (dunno if you use a point and shoot or a dslr...)
Wide angle lenses makes everything look weird.
Then flex those knees, and try to be leveled/centered.
This should straighten everything.

Cheers

David

William

Sep 14, 2012, 1:27:11 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Amit.  Look down the barrel of your headtube.  Do your upper fork legs kick forward?  Or are they parallel with your headtube?

If parallel--done, not bent, camera trick

If not parallel--look further

Steven Frederick

Sep 14, 2012, 1:50:47 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's been your bike from the start? You haven't crashed it or
anything? I'd guess it's a trick of the camera. Any shop with a
wrench who's been in the business for more than a decade should be
able to tell you for sure...

Luck!

Steve