29er tires on an Atlantis

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Dec 22, 2012, 4:21:43 PM12/22/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had some Kenda Karma 29x1.9 on my Cross-Check. Good, light, not too expensive.

dougP

Dec 23, 2012, 12:53:25 PM12/23/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul:

From a post regarding tires used in Alaska:

"Rivendell Atlantis with 44mm SnowCat rims, mounted w/ an Nanoraptor.
It fits an Exiwolf up front. I had to shave the outer knobs off the
Exiwolf w/ a razor blade. It took forever. Fingers really hurt. The
interesting thing is that the Exiwolf fit the first year, but it was
reeeeealy close. Actually, it was too close. If I would've bent the
rim or broken a spoke on a long ride in 5 degree temps...well, that
would've been a bad idea.

The second winter I rode this set up I could only ride the Nanoraptor
on the rear. And it too would rub occasionally at very low pressures.

So, it's not a Pugsly, but the Atlantis is a damn versatile bike."

On Dec 22, 1:28 am, Paul Y <paulyeoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Real curious to know which 29er tires people are running on their big
> Atlanti, especially along the lines of XC / trail riding.

dougP

Dec 23, 2012, 12:55:16 PM12/23/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul:

The link to the photos re: Same Atlantis with a lot of different
tires (from Hawai'i to Alaska):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28720636@N02/sets/72157609908249398/

Enjoy!

dougP

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 23, 2012, 3:59:44 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's too bad that Riv didn't add just another 2 cm overall to the tire clearances on the Atlantis, to make an already versatile bike even more versatile. As it is, the lack of space for more than ~55 mm would kill the deal for me, even supposing I had the wherewithal to afford one. I've owned a couple of frames that take 65s + fenders + mud room (one the Fargo, one the old Diamond Back Axis Team (wthtm) .

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

Steve Palincsar

Dec 23, 2012, 4:13:55 PM12/23/12
On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 13:59 -0700, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
> It's too bad that Riv didn't add just another 2 cm overall to the tire
> clearances on the Atlantis, to make an already versatile bike even
> more versatile. As it is, the lack of space for more than ~55 mm would
> kill the deal for me, even supposing I had the wherewithal to afford
> one. I've owned a couple of frames that take 65s + fenders + mud room
> (one the Fargo, one the old Diamond Back Axis Team (wthtm) .

2 cm is almost an inch. That much extra clearance would make an
Atlantis unfenderable with normal road tires.

If you want something that takes monster size tires, there are
specialized bikes just for that.

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 23, 2012, 4:20:09 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Why? I used 60 mm Planet Bike fenders with both wheelsets, ie the Big Apple and the Kojak wheelsets. No problem with either, unless a big air gap over the latter is a problem.

65 mm tires aren't "monster" by any means, not when the market includes 4" tires. There is a huge difference, so I've been told, between the very pavement rideable 60 mm Big Apples, and truly fat tires. Simon Rakower of SnoCat fame said that he builds a lot of SnoCat wheels (the rims are 44 mm wide) for fat bike owners who want something narrow.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Steve Palincsar <pali...@his.com> wrote:

2 cm is almost an inch.  That much extra clearance would make an
Atlantis unfenderable with normal road tires.

If you want something that takes monster size tires, there are
specialized bikes just for that.

Steve Palincsar

Dec 23, 2012, 5:12:25 PM12/23/12
On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 14:20 -0700, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
> Why? I used 60 mm Planet Bike fenders with both wheelsets, ie the Big
> Apple and the Kojak wheelsets. No problem with either, unless a big
> air gap over the latter is a problem.

Yes a big air gap is a problem, both aesthetically and in terms of
coverage/protection.

> 65 mm tires aren't "monster" by any means, not when the market
> includes 4" tires.

65mm tires are "monster" in comparison to 35 to 38mm, which is about
what the Atlantis is made for. And recall, you asked for just under an
inch more clearance than the already ample clearance the Atlantis has
today. If not "monster," that's certainly monstrous.

> There is a huge difference, so I've been told, between the very
> pavement rideable 60 mm Big Apples, and truly fat tires. Simon Rakower
> of SnoCat fame said that he builds a lot of SnoCat wheels (the rims
> are 44 mm wide) for fat bike owners who want something narrow.

I understand why you are interested in such enormous tires. As I said,
there are bikes made for them.

Bertin753

Dec 23, 2012, 6:01:09 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Patrick Moore
iPhone

On Dec 23, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Steve Palincsar <pali...@his.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 14:20 -0700, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
>> Why? I used 60 mm Planet Bike fenders with both wheelsets, ie the Big
>> Apple and the Kojak wheelsets. No problem with either, unless a big
>> air gap over the latter is a problem.
>

> Yes a big air gap is a problem, both aesthetically and in terms of
> coverage/protection.
Refuteo sic: no splashing withe the PB 60s and the Kojaks.

>> 65 mm tires aren't "monster" by any means, not when the market
>> includes 4" tires.
>
> 65mm tires are "monster" in comparison to 35 to 38mm, which is about
> what the Atlantis is made for. And recall, you asked for just under an
> inch more clearance than the already ample clearance the Atlantis has
> today. If not "monster," that's certainly monstrous.

Not at all: it is merely generous.

>> There is a huge difference, so I've been told, between the very
>> pavement rideable 60 mm Big Apples, and truly fat tires. Simon Rakower
>> of SnoCat fame said that he builds a lot of SnoCat wheels (the rims
>> are 44 mm wide) for fat bike owners who want something narrow.
>

> I understand why you are interested in such enormous tires. As I said,
> there are bikes made for them.

Enormous is the wrong word. "Generous" is correct.

Patrick Moore, wise dtr is mnplzg the mcbk.

dougP

Dec 23, 2012, 8:40:34 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Note that the guy with the Atlantis referenced in the above link lives in Alaska, which sort of specializes in "extreme weather".  IMHO if it works there, it'll work anywhere.  He includes photos of a Pug with monster tires.  Maybe that's better during the dead of winter but it sure ain't heading to Hawai'i with a simple wheel change.  Versatility is a highly valuable virtue in a bike.

dougP

Philip Williamson

Dec 23, 2012, 9:12:34 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You can use scissors to trim side knobs. Still takes forever, and hurts.

Philip
WWW.biketinker.com

Philip Williamson

Dec 23, 2012, 9:12:34 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Philip Williamson

Dec 23, 2012, 9:12:35 PM12/23/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

cyclotourist

Dec 23, 2012, 10:30:52 PM12/23/12
to RBW Owners Bunch

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." -Mark Twain

Ken Mattina

Dec 22, 2012, 8:37:33 PM12/22/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
oops here's an image of them