Not as pretty as the new Herse cranks, but ...

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 10, 2012, 3:46:26 PM6/10/12
to rbw-owners-bunch
http://www.interlocracing.com/cranks.html

I apologize if this is old news; it's new to me. I note that the track
version comes with a 46 t ring, my standard -- reviewer found it to
wear well -- for the $160 price. Not too bad!

--
"Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you."

Flannery O'Connor

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

Pondero

Jun 10, 2012, 5:20:26 PM6/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,  I've got this crank on a one of my bikes.  If I were going to build up a new fixed or single speed bike, this is probably the crank I'd pick again.

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 10, 2012, 7:29:13 PM6/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
How is the finish compared to that old benchmark, original Campy Record?

Still, if they are COLD forged and come with a durable 46 t ring for
$160, they are a deal even with a mediocre finish.

steel lugs

Jun 10, 2012, 9:37:46 PM6/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick - just built up a single-speed w/ one of these cranks:

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 10, 2012, 11:01:52 PM6/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Damn' pretty crank on a damn' pretty bike!

Thanks for the closeup of the crank; One more "pro" for this crankset.

erik

Jun 10, 2012, 11:55:04 PM6/10/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
These are similar and around $100.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/109/FGimondi-Crankset

Enjoy!
Erik in Portland

On Jun 10, 8:01 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Damn' pretty crank on a damn' pretty bike!
>
> Thanks for the closeup of the crank; One more "pro" for this crankset.
>

> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM, steel lugs <steel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Patrick - just built up a single-speed w/ one of these cranks:
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/38991087@N05/7321434360/in/photostream/l...
>
> > steelugs
>
> > On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> How is the finish compared to that old benchmark, original Campy Record?
>
> >> Still, if they are COLD forged and come with a durable 46 t ring for
> >> $160, they are a deal even with a mediocre finish.

Mitch Browne

Jun 11, 2012, 7:42:37 AM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone installed the Defiant Triple on an Atlantis?

http://store.interlocracing.com/irddetotrcr.html

Q factor? BB Spindle length?

Mitch Browne
San Luis Obispo, CA

mikel...@juno.com

Jun 11, 2012, 7:45:19 AM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
thats a lot of money for a taiwanese compact triple. a nice japanese xd triple runs about half that price and has been battle tested for years

LivingSocial Travel Deals
Weekend Getaways, Vacations &#38 More&#33 Up to 70&#37 Off Deals. Join Free&#33
LivingSocial.com

Allingham II, Thomas J

Jun 11, 2012, 9:09:51 AM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used this crank ason a Nishiki mixte reno; very pretty crank in person.

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Jun 11, 2012, 9:11:04 AM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Jan Heine

Jun 11, 2012, 11:01:53 AM6/11/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Jun 11, 4:45 am, "mikel66...@juno.com" <mikel66...@juno.com> wrote:
> thats a lot of money for a taiwanese compact triple. a nice japanese xd triple runs about half that price and has been battle tested for years

I don't think the XD cranks are made in Japan any longer. From what I
hear, Sugino now produces most of their budget products in China. That
doesn't detract from the fact that for a lot of riders, the XD cranks
represent a decent choice, as long as you aren't sensitive to tread (Q
factor).

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
http://www.bikequarterly.com

Follow our blog at http://janheine.wordpress.com/

Michael_S

Jun 11, 2012, 12:26:34 PM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Sugino is kind of bottom of the acceptable range, especially with the cheap chain rings. I swapped out the two big rings with some nice Raceface 7075 rings on mine. The IRD is very nice and the Herse is beautiful.   I like using 94 bcd cranks for the range of chainrings. Unfortunately they are mostly MTB cranks and not as sleek looking.

~mike

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 11, 2012, 1:46:51 PM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested if anyone has successfully used a IRD triple with a
wide-stayed Riv or otherwise, and what bb and how was the chainline? I
expect that with a sufficiently wide bb spindle the rings would sit
considerably further out than those of the XD2 or whatever it is on a
107 or 113. But if you could center the middle on a wide stay'ed bike,
I'd be interested in it for the Fargo, using the middle and inner
positions as a wide range double (well, something like 38/24). As it
is, the X2D works fine with the outer sorta inward-biased so that I
can use it with more of the cogs as the main ring; the 36 is for
climbing and the 24 is for hypotheticals.

As for someone's comment that the X2D is a lot cheaper even than the
IRD, well, so it is, but it's not as nice looking, for one thing, and
the IRD is a nice middle term between the XD2 and the Herse, no? That
said, the X2D is a decent enough crank, and since I use the 46 for
most by far of my riding, chainring wear is a minor issue. And
chainrings are relatively cheap in 110.

Moving along: don't y'all think riding with loads up hills, pedaling
low cadence, hi-torque, is great fun? Or perhaps I'm an outlier, but I
swear I like pushing the Fargo up an incline with 30 lb as much as I
like spinning the gofast on the flats. Well, pushing the gofast up a
hill is even more fun. Just got back from a grocery run.

Moving further: Silver bar end shifters: wonderful, the best I've used
and I've used many. My 7 speeders are built with 9 speed spacers (with
2 between big cog and flange) and yet they shift them very well.
Occasionally there will be slippage, but that is due to the Hyperglide
teeth catching the chain very slightly off center; the long Silver
arms allow you easily to push a very small adjustment in the rear
derailleur's position.

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 13, 2012, 11:42:12 AM6/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is true; it is one of, what, just three -- ? -- such cranks in
current production and quite possibly the best; it's no more
expensive, perhaps even cheaper than the alternatives -- Pro 5 Vis,
White. But just for pretty and good, the IRD crank is IMO a very
viable alternative for more common setups.