Mystery Bike!

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 1:11:53 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is here, but no time to assemble. But here's a pic...

No name, no decals. We can call it whatever we want!

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.
Photo1.jpg
ATT00001.txt

Seth Vidal

Aug 7, 2012, 1:15:31 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Allingham II, Thomas J
<Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:
> Is here, but no time to assemble. But here's a pic...
>
> No name, no decals. We can call it whatever we want!

ooo - thanks for posting pictures. Looks like that back tire needs
some love, though :)

-sv

Lee Chae

Aug 7, 2012, 1:18:47 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice, Thomas! I used to ride a Schwinn Spitfire 5 all over the streets of San Francisco. This thing takes me back to those good days, albeit in much, much upgraded form! Thanks for sharing.

Lee
SF, CA

RJM

Aug 7, 2012, 1:30:11 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is quite a long chain stay.  The bike looks like it would be stable.  I wonder if they are going to make smaller sizes of this frameset so us little people can buy one.

Scot Brooks

Aug 7, 2012, 1:47:00 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Weirdly, I can't see anything on the iPhone. Any chance of a link?

justin...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2012, 1:48:29 PM8/7/12
On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:47:00 PM UTC-4, Scot Brooks wrote:
> Weirdly, I can't see anything on the iPhone. Any chance of a link?

https://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch/attach/53591c12f1620318/Photo1.jpg?part=2&authuser=0&view=1

Peter Morgano

Aug 7, 2012, 2:18:23 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To steal a line from a show that was good and then went bad that bike should called the "Vista Cruiser" because you could literally cruise the vistas when you are on it. Beautiful!

Robert Zeidler

Aug 7, 2012, 2:41:13 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting fork set-up. Congrats!

RGZ

Sent from my iPad
> --
>

> Sent from my iPhone
> <Photo1.jpg>

Robert Zeidler

Aug 7, 2012, 2:42:05 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The production one has a name but I'm sworn to secrecy.

Sent from my iPad

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 2:46:30 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I had no time to assemble, but couldn't stop myself from a little quick mockup. Apologies for poor quality pics, but you get the idea, anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/sets/72157630957672582/

Looks like the derailleur hanger got bumped in transit -- may have to bend it back into alignment.

Anne Paulson

Aug 7, 2012, 3:07:55 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
OK, now we can see it, what's it for? I see really really long
chainstays, and is there no front derailleur? Is that rear shifter on
the stem? Upright handlebars, diagonal tube with those fun curvy
middle chainstays. Yay for the kickstand.

It looks like lots of carriers are supposed to be mounted on this
bike, but would they be any special carriers, or just a basket on the
front and racks and bags on the rear?

Nice bike. This is the one you lend out to your friends when the two
of you are going down to the brewpub, or to the grocery store to pick
up food for the party. Or on a sub24. Needs builtin lights. Fenders,
too.

Wonder if it could be made without the top tube.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Allingham II, Thomas J
<Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:
> Okay, I had no time to assemble, but couldn't stop myself from a little quick mockup. Apologies for poor quality pics, but you get the idea, anyway.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/sets/72157630957672582/

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 3:13:13 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I've got Honjo fenders and a Schmidt dynohub wheel and a Nitto big rear rack and a Mark's + Platrack for the front, all ready to install. As soon as I get the derailleur hanger and rear drops aligned. Curse you, UPS!

Aug 7, 2012, 3:23:20 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Absolute stunner!

William

Aug 7, 2012, 3:23:22 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Can we have a long debate on the manner you should employ to mount/frame your complementary box art?

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:13:13 PM UTC-7, Pudge wrote:
Agreed.  I've got Honjo fenders and a Schmidt dynohub wheel and a Nitto big rear rack and a Mark's + Platrack for the front, all ready to install.  As soon as I get the derailleur hanger and rear drops aligned.  Curse you, UPS!

OK, now we can see it, what's it for? I see really really long chainstays, and is there no front derailleur? Is that rear shifter on the stem? Upright handlebars, diagonal tube with those fun curvy middle chainstays. Yay for the kickstand.

It looks like lots of carriers are supposed to be mounted on this bike, but would they be any special carriers, or just a basket on the front and racks and bags on the rear?

Nice bike. This is the one you lend out to your friends when the two of you are going down to the brewpub, or to the grocery store to pick up food for the party. Or on a sub24. Needs builtin lights. Fenders, too.

Wonder if it could be made without the top tube.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Allingham II, Thomas J <Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:
> Okay, I had no time to assemble, but couldn't stop myself from a little quick mockup.  Apologies for poor quality pics, but you get the idea, anyway.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/sets/72157630957672582/

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 3:24:26 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Can't I just stick it in the spokes?

Aug 7, 2012, 3:29:09 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom

If you mail the box art to me at your expense, I promise to mount it in some fashion at my expense and will display it.  I think you still have my address.

:)  Bill

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:23 PM

Leslie

Aug 7, 2012, 3:41:59 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A) I'm jealous; my Bomba's box didn't have any artwork!   ;)

B) Wait, wait wait!!!!    That's a double crank, isn't it?? At least a double if not a triple;  I thought this bike couldn't take a front derailleur?

No Hammershcmitty tab on this critter?

C) It is beautiful.   Enjoy that bike!!!

D) When it transitions to production bike, wonder what the later headbadges and decals will be??

Seth Vidal

Aug 7, 2012, 3:42:04 PM8/7/12
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Anne Paulson <anne.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, now we can see it, what's it for? I see really really long
> chainstays, and is there no front derailleur? Is that rear shifter on
> the stem? Upright handlebars, diagonal tube with those fun curvy
> middle chainstays. Yay for the kickstand.
>
> It looks like lots of carriers are supposed to be mounted on this
> bike, but would they be any special carriers, or just a basket on the
> front and racks and bags on the rear?

And it has horizontal dropouts...

What's going on there?

-sv

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 3:55:44 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Re B), Grant's idea is to shift the front with a stick. There's a description in the Riv Blug on their site.   For the riding I'm planning for it, I doubt if I need the second ring in front.  But I'll probably leave it, just in case.

Aug 7, 2012, 4:25:48 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Let us know how it rides Thomas!  I didn't get a chance to ride the Bosco when I was in Walnut Creek :(  What is the basic size of the frame, BTW?  It's definitely a unique townie - I would have no problem adding it to the fleet.  Lovely!

Brian
Seattle, WA

Matt Beebe

Aug 7, 2012, 6:08:26 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks great man.    They should revive the long low name for this one.    Did you pick that color?    Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 6:09:39 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nope on the color -- we had no input.  But I was right to have faith in Walnut Creek -- it's beautiful.

Aug 7, 2012, 6:44:41 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yep, they scored on the color, but I wish it had a creme headtube. I also wish I had jumped on this opportunity at the time. I love this bike! The laid-back, stretched-out frame; the no-front-derailer; the horizintal drops allowing for an IGH; the diagatubes..it's a Rivendell chopper, and it's very cool.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 6:45:55 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Actually, Grant told me that all the colors were going to be different.  But I haven't heard what colors others are.

Aug 7, 2012, 7:16:22 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ohhhh, Rivendell custom headbadge... nice!

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
“I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s the America I love.”

Peter Pesce

Aug 7, 2012, 7:17:15 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ooh! Will Riv get someone to make a new version of a suicide shifter? I'd absolutely LOVE a Silver Suicide Shifter for my QB!

Pete (shiftless in CT)

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 7:17:34 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Grant -- a new skill!  Looking forward to it.

Aug 7, 2012, 7:52:09 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So the new bike's name begins with a P?

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 7:55:51 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Might be Protovelo, no?

Aug 7, 2012, 8:01:07 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ah, true....   thought I'd gleaned a lead there...  tut tut...

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:55:51 PM UTC-4, Pudge wrote:
Might be Protovelo, no?

Leslie

Aug 7, 2012, 8:01:43 PM8/7/12

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:17:15 PM UTC-4, Peter Pesce wrote:
Ooh! Will Riv get someone to make a new version of a suicide shifter? I'd absolutely LOVE a Silver Suicide Shifter for my QB!

Pete (shiftless in CT)

Oh, I like that idea...

Marc Schwartz

Aug 7, 2012, 8:08:01 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What is the wheel size on "easy rider"?
Aug 7, 2012, 8:36:23 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
700C. 47mm Marathons mounted.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 7, 2012, 8:44:24 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But thinking about putting on a set of brown Delta Cruisers (at around 37mm) to make the fender fit a little less iffy.

Marty

Aug 7, 2012, 10:40:36 PM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic bike. Can't wait to see it with graphics. What ever happened to GP's idea for a grab-on strap or some such device above the bottom bracket? I thought it might show up on this one, not that it seems naked or anything.

charlie

Aug 8, 2012, 9:47:09 AM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow that has a looong wheelbase which would be handy given the condition of some of our roads these days. Long wheelbase, wide tires,strong frame, gears, geometry that puts the rider more upright but keeps the back wheel farther back for better weight distribution.......all good stuff. When will this go into affordable production? Something like this could be ridden into my golden years and be a multi-purpose machine. Good job Grant. Cant wait to read about how the new owners like it and how it rides......I'll bet smooth.

On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Seth Vidal <skv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Allingham II, Thomas J
> <Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:
>> Is here, but no time to assemble.  But here's a pic...
>>
>> No name, no decals. We can call it whatever we want!
>>

> ooo - thanks for posting pictures. Looks like that back tire needs
> some love, though :)
>
> -sv

RJM

Aug 8, 2012, 2:19:55 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

This is a really cool looking frame. I don't know how I would build one up or what role it would play for me , but I kind of want one.  Maybe a long and low single speed path racer or an upright scorcher???  Sadly, I fear my size (small 79 PBH) would not have the diagonal tube which would be a bummer.

Joe Bernard

Aug 8, 2012, 2:38:43 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, I didn't think of that..I'm about your size. To me, this bike veers slightly toward the "cruiser" aesthetic, wherein the diagatube becomes not so much a necessity for frame stiffess as a styling element. I know that's a tough pill to swallow for us "purists" brought up on The Right Tool For The Job, but Mystery Bike is a long, low sorta-flatlander with a freakin' stick for a front shifter, and its look is part of the appeal. This bike must have a diagatube in all sizes.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Minh

Aug 8, 2012, 3:33:49 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Man, maybe I'm trying not to like it but so far this bike just has not clicked for me. Is it a bike looking for a use case or does it fill an existing need? Guess that's still tbd.

Looks pretty though, waiting on the colors out there though, not a fan of the green in this case.

islaysteve

Aug 8, 2012, 8:03:07 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm with you , Minh.  Stick shift should be '40s vintage stick (AKA suicide) shift.  JMO.  Steve

jimD

Aug 8, 2012, 8:11:56 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had a chance to ride the Bosco Rubbe labeled bike at RBWHQ.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasterdogs/6900304841/in/photostream/lightbox/

Like every Riv I've ridden it put a smile on my face.
It rides lushly plush, as un-racerish a ride as I can image.
Makes the ride of a Schwinn Newsboy seem like a hair shirt.

-JimD

On Aug 8, 2012, at 12:33 PM, Minh wrote:

> Man, maybe I'm trying not to like it but so far this bike just has not clicked for me. Is it a bike looking for a use case or does it fill an existing need? Guess that's still tbd.
>
> Looks pretty though, waiting on the colors out there though, not a fan of the green in this case.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 8, 2012, 8:18:53 PM8/8/12
On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 17:11 -0700, jimD wrote:
> I had a chance to ride the Bosco Rubbe labeled bike at RBWHQ.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasterdogs/6900304841/in/photostream/lightbox/
>
> Like every Riv I've ridden it put a smile on my face.
> It rides lushly plush, as un-racerish a ride as I can image.
> Makes the ride of a Schwinn Newsboy seem like a hair shirt.

What is the reason a front derailleur cannot be installed on this frame?

jimD

Aug 8, 2012, 8:49:26 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Call Riv, they might know.
-JimD

Joe Bernard

Aug 8, 2012, 8:52:43 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell, there is no reason. My recollection from the Blug is that the frame was originally going to have a seattube angle incompatible with front derailers, but it didn't end up that way. The bicycle as shipped doesn't have one because no one spec'd it.

Joe "stick shift" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Andy Smitty Schmidt

Eric Norris

Aug 8, 2012, 8:51:49 PM8/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think that in Grant's world a "stick shift" would be an actual stick. Perhaps an Alder branch with the bark still on.

--Eric N

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 9, 2012, 9:23:29 AM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think a meaningful number of the bikes were large -- 63cm and above -- or so one of the Blug posts on the Mystery Bike suggested.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:28:59 AM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No one spec'd this bike but GP.  Early buyers had no input at all -- that was the deal.

Aug 9, 2012, 10:02:50 AM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tires are Schwalbe Marathons, 700C x nominal 47mm (about 42 mm actual). Riv sells them here:

Aug 9, 2012, 9:33:34 PM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was offered one but did not take it. It didn't make sense to me.
> --
> "RBW Owners Bunch" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/_dUdKFWoEQ0J.

Joe Bernard

Aug 9, 2012, 10:08:19 PM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
10 people (originally 9) signed on for the project. How were you offered one, and refused?

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Bill Gibson

Aug 9, 2012, 10:16:11 PM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My eyes go straight to the fork, especially the thin-ness of the blades and the bend. Looks great, and I wonder about the geometry. It's everything I don't see in my LBSs, even those with a display from Brooks of England.

Then there is the rest: lovely and a mighty bike. Eagerly awaiting reports from the field(s).

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/fyNGJk9Vax4J.

Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA

Robert Zeidler

Aug 10, 2012, 6:52:16 AM8/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Now I find this very interesting.

I sent GP a wool jersey as a gift around the time of the beginning of the project. We had a brief exchange on this new bike. I asked if it was too late, as I was thinking about it, he replied that it was not but I'd better get on board.  The next day I emailed him I appreciated it, very much, but was declining because I was purchasing a Calfee. After a few jabs about being a traitor, in good humor of course, I also asked him the name of the mystery bike.  He told me under the promise of sworn secrecy, and I intend to honor that.

Are doubting this offer was extended to me?

Sent from my iPad
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/fyNGJk9Vax4J.

Joe Bernard

Aug 10, 2012, 2:36:57 PM8/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not doubting, just curious how it went down. Now I know.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

robert zeidler

Aug 10, 2012, 3:17:43 PM8/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm just pulling your leg, but that is what happened. Just
circumstance, plus we've been acquainted for some time.

I find him to be an interesting guy, and try to be his cheerleader,
not that he needs one.

RGZ
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/hAhTJAhAE0AJ.

Matthew J

Aug 10, 2012, 4:22:30 PM8/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Really like the picture.  Look forward to seeing the finished job.  You took a chance and done good.

lungimsam

Aug 14, 2012, 12:15:24 AM8/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I would call it the "Rivendell 'Rangutan".

Brooks banana seat, Nitto Ape-Hangers, paint it Orangutan Rust (like their coats), and use Cocoanut husk to twine the bar tape/bamboo grips.

The vine-like stays would finish off the jungle motif along with an Orangutan Headbadge and DT label of the word "'Rangutan" with a vine running throughout the word, and a 'tan swinging on the end of the vine- a la Bleriot with the plane and its trail.

(DT design could alternatively be a dust trail through the name, with the bike at one end with Grant and Orangutan riding in the banana seat - a la Bleriot design with plane and trail.)

The name would also porvide an easy way to circumvent any TM's or R's or copyrights, as
I think the Rivfolks could emerge from the naming meeting, satisfied that the term "'Rangutan" is not used anywhere else for anything, worldwide.

Seriously, this is a great looking bike, be sure to post pics of the build!! I wonder what the name really is? I like that green.

Marc Schwartz

Aug 14, 2012, 8:28:27 AM8/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah! Huzzah!

"Roll bar" behind Brooks Banana? 5 speed "emascultor" Hurst -type rear derailer shifter on top tube? I think ""Rat Fink" is still copyrighted, but "Rangutan" is better. GREAT

Is that coffee ready yet?
Aug 15, 2012, 7:17:11 PM8/15/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Any more pics?!
It's been a week and it's the long awaited mystery bike and you STILL don't have it put together? :)
Inquiring minds want to know!

Pete (loving Rangutan) in CT

Allingham II, Thomas J

Aug 16, 2012, 8:42:54 AM8/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dropout and derailleur hanger bent in shipping, so I couldn't build right away. Tools to try to do DIY repair ordered, if I can't fix it properly I'll ask Steve Bilenky to help me out. Pics as soon as it's up and running, and a ride report, too, I promise.

GP offered to cover everything, of course -- told him since I get to keep the tools (I LOVE tools) that hardly seemed fair. But, boy, they are a standup company in every way.

Aug 28, 2012, 1:11:18 PM8/28/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh, boy...

Fixed the bent derailleur hanger and dropout on my Mystery Bike, finished a quick basic assembly last night, and took it for a brief trial run (no lights, so only a couple of miles) around the neighborhood.

Verdict: Wow.  It's unquestionably the must luxurious bike I've ever ridden -- smoothes out bumps like they weren't there (~40mm Marathons may have something to do with that, but they're certainly not the most supple mid-fat tire in the line-up, so I think it's mostly the bike).  Not just a Cadillac -- it's a Rolls limo.  But at the same time it handles beautifully, goes exactly where it's pointed (even at very low speeds), and is insanely comfortable in the saddle.  And the most amazing thing is that with the Bullmoose Bosco bars, when I stood up to mash on a high gear uphill (the derailleur/shifter was slipping, so I didn't shift much -- I'll work on that tonight), it was as if somebody had reached down and made the perfect bike/fit for me alone.  The grips were in the perfect spot; everything seemed perfectly aligned; it was really almost too easy.

This bike is a home run.

It's going to be my main commuter and errand bike, so it's getting a Platrack with large Wald basket and large Shopsack on the front, and a large Nitto Rear Rack on the back, probably with some Swift Industries Short Stack panniers.  SON hub with Supernova lights front and rear.  VO fluted aluminum fenders.  And maybe even some of them-there Thin Gripsters, too.  Or maybe a set of Hillbubba's Grip King Deluxes.

Woo-hoo!

Philip Williamson

Aug 30, 2012, 1:30:05 AM8/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't need pictures to prove it happened, I can see you grinning!

Marc Irwin

Sep 1, 2012, 4:30:06 PM9/1/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
we still like pictures!

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 3, 2012, 8:47:37 AM9/3/12
to <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Well, I was going to wait till it was fully built -- fenders, racks, bags, the works.  But the inevitable glitches reared their ugly heads: 41mm Marathons don't permit 52mm VO fenders, so tried terra cotta SOMA Xpress, which permit the fenders, but then it turns out that the brakes aren't wide enough for the fenders (and in any case Grant urged the EA group not to use tires < 38mm (pedal strike issues), which may eliminate the ~35mm New Xpress rubber as a solution. (Nice looking, though!). Before I remove the entire Mark's Rack/Platracks/fender-mounted-with-daruma assembly to try them, does anyone know whether Paul Racers have better fender clearance than the Tektro side pulls on the bike now?

Anyway, maybe time to post a few shots without all the accoutrements, to prove (as Manny would say) that the bike actually can be ridden!

Jeremy Till

Sep 3, 2012, 12:38:55 PM9/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Never having touched a Paul Racer, * in theory * the Racer or any dual-pivot centerpull should maximize clearance for a given brake reach, since the dual-pivot centerpull configuration allows both arms to move up they actuate the brake, rather than one pivoting down as is so on dual-pivot sidepulls.

charlie

Sep 3, 2012, 1:30:42 PM9/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Photographs of the process would be interesting......

J. Burkhalter

Sep 3, 2012, 5:45:46 PM9/3/12

On Monday, September 3, 2012 8:47:43 AM UTC-4, Pudge wrote:
Before I remove the entire Mark's Rack/Platracks/fender-mounted-with-daruma assembly to try them, does anyone know whether Paul Racers have better fender clearance than the Tektro side pulls on the bike now?

The Paul Racers have much better fender clearance than the Tektros.  I have them on my Bleriot and they offer oodles of room for Hetres and fenders.  I've even fit the Schwalbe Fatties and fenders under the Racers (not recommended, though).  The have 54mm of horizontal clearance, IIRC.

-Jay

Peter Pesce

Sep 3, 2012, 9:47:16 PM9/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So let me get this straight. There were 10 of these made IIRC and only one person has fessed up to receiving theirs, and hardly any pictures? Something's fishy. ;)

grant

Sep 4, 2012, 12:11:13 AM9/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Four are still in paint. Three are painted here, one has been assembled and needs to be boxed and shipped, and not everybody's on the Forum. The bike...to me, is astounding. I just love how it feels, everything it does. It's not a sportsy bike or the kind of bike that---well, at some point we'll have a production model (meaning I think it is a good design). The specials have a Riv badge and a Protovelo decal---although Thomas's went out before decaling, so I sent him a decal and instructions. All of the specials get a single top-mounted decal on the diagatube.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 4, 2012, 8:35:33 AM9/4/12
to <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Teardown/reassembly-with-Pauls tonight, and I promise some pics of the process, boys and girls.

Peter Pesce

Sep 4, 2012, 11:02:05 AM9/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I hope my "wink" adequately conveyed that I didn't really think anything was fishy!

Just eager to see...

Pete ("irony is the only thing you can't get on the internet") in CT

Jeremy Till

Sep 6, 2012, 7:08:46 PM9/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There was some discussion of this when the first pictures of the frame came out last fall, but basically the "Mystery Bike/Roscoe Bubbe" is a frame designed specifically around a super-upright seating position with swept-back bars like the Boscoe, Albatross, etc. The rest of the Riv lineup is made to work with a variety of bars--both drops and uprights, while this is one specifically for uprights.  So: much longer top tubes than other models, and much longer chainstays to provide a more balanced weight distribution.  I think the bottom bracket is lower as well.  Normal front derailleurs won't work, so you shift the front by hand (or with a stick).

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:31:14 PM UTC-7, thebvo wrote:
It is a very cool looking bike
I don't think that I've seen a Rivendell that I wouldn't want in my Guhrage.
I guess I'm wondering how this Bike is different.  I know that Riv's all have a feel, and a look to them (like a Reid Miles designed Blue Note album Cover), but it looks to me to be very similar to all the others.  Perhaps this is an oversimplification and based on my ignorance of the bike's geometry, tubing, and all the other things that give a bike its characteristics.  This is not a jab at the bike or its design.  I'm just curious how this bike sits in a unique stall in Rivendell's stable.
It's been a secret, so perhaps thats why I don't know.  But I'd love to know
Kampai!

Allingham II, Thomas J

Peter Morgano

Sep 6, 2012, 11:00:25 PM9/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Again, I know Grant is  not a lover of IGH but this bike just seems perfect for an Alfine 11 or Rohloff setup, no front deraileur needed, nice straight chainline, beatufiul.