Riv Spoof Today on BikeSnobNYC

islaysteve

Jan 5, 2012, 5:32:02 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This guy is so funny, if you're not reading him, you should: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/.  I hope that Grant doesn't eliminate the toothpicks from the RBW inventory.  What a loss that would be!  Steve

Joe Bernard

Jan 5, 2012, 5:52:21 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll admit it. In possibly the first wave of anti-hipness against the hipness of the guy who's anti-hipness..Bike Snob isn't funny. It's not "bad" or "wrong" or anything negative and important like that. It's just not funny.

Jim Mather

Jan 5, 2012, 6:07:46 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I find it hysterical.  Plus Riv advertises on it and hosted him in Walnut Creek.

Chacun a son gout,
jim m
wc ca

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it. In possibly the first wave of anti-hipness against the hipness of the guy who's anti-hipness..Bike Snob isn't funny. It's not "bad" or "wrong" or anything negative and important like that. It's just not funny.

William

Jan 5, 2012, 6:12:17 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Funny is in the eye of the beholder.  If you don't want to find bsnyc funny, I bet you'll succeed in not finding him funny.  If you want to be amused by his writing, I bet you'd succeed at that, too.  I find bsnyc funny.

Joe Bernard

Jan 5, 2012, 6:25:40 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Au contraire, I've tried many times to find him funny. He seems like a nice fellow, and I appreciate his connection/friendship with Grant. It just doesn't work for me. Like I said, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's more about me than him; I expected to like his stuff, and am surprised I don't.

PATRICK MOORE

Jan 5, 2012, 6:53:08 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So Riv actually carries those toothpicks? I thought BS was joking. That's a case of reality imitating satire.

Patrick "likes both Rivendell and BSNYC" Moore

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM, islaysteve <alki...@verizon.net> wrote:
This guy is so funny, if you're not reading him, you should: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/.  I hope that Grant doesn't eliminate the toothpicks from the RBW inventory.  What a loss that would be!  Steve

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

dougP

Jan 5, 2012, 7:08:41 PM1/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
BSNYC may be an acquired taste. I've read him occasionally, found
some of the stuff funny, some tedious. I rec'd his book for Christmas
& thoroughly enjoyed it. His characterizations are especially on-
target, although I did feel a bit slighted that bike touring got so
little ink. Guess we're just not hip enough to create interest.

dougP
> Patrick Moore, ACRWhttp://resumespecialties.com/index.html- Hide quoted text -

EricP

Jan 5, 2012, 8:10:25 PM1/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Am with Doug on this one. Liked the book. The blog, not so often.
This was okay. Did get a chuckle from the toothpicks. Happen to have
a set of those "Rivendell" picks. (Direct, via Target Boutique).
Haven't tried them while riding my Sam Hillborne, though. With my
luck, would end up putting my eye out.

Eric (not Red Ryder) Platt
St. Paul, MN
> > Patrick Moore, ACRWhttp://resumespecialties.com/index.html-Hide quoted text -

grrlyrida

Jan 5, 2012, 9:29:21 PM1/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm with Joe. First I thought maybe it's a "guy" thing, but I just
don't find him amusing or funny. I guess funny is in the eye of the
beholder.

Steve Palincsar

Jan 5, 2012, 9:49:40 PM1/5/12
On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 18:29 -0800, grrlyrida wrote:
> I'm with Joe. First I thought maybe it's a "guy" thing, but I just
> don't find him amusing or funny.

Neither do I.

Philip Williamson

Jan 5, 2012, 10:00:26 PM1/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well that was the most civilized BikeSnob / RBW discussion I've ever
seen. The practice is paying off, I guess.
I'm on record as finding BSNYC quite funny, but humor isn't really
something you can vote on.

Philip

Joe Bernard

Jan 5, 2012, 10:19:55 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure I miss a lot of the humor because I've never been heavily immersed in "bike culture". I don't do group rides, or tour, or brevets. I've never been a hyper-fast roadie in "team" lycra, or owned a "fixie". Almost all of my riding career has been spent "just going for a ride" on a series of Bridgestones, and a couple Rivs..with a several-year foray into recumbents. Both "Riv culture" and "bent culture" are so easily mocked for already being niches within niches within niches that it's hard to make it much funnier than just pointing at us and saying, "What the hell is going on over there?"

Joe "there's something going on here, but you don't know what it is, do you..?" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

William

Jan 5, 2012, 10:43:03 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Joe

Maybe you're "jealous" that BSNYC is using your favorite "trope".  Namely "putting quotation marks on just about everything".

"Seriously" just "joking around".

"Artisinally"

Anne Paulson

Jan 5, 2012, 10:43:28 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
I don't find him funny either. Occasionally I read him again, to see if I've changed my mind, but I find reading his stuff vaguely unpleasant. No accounting for tastes.

Joe Bernard

Jan 5, 2012, 10:50:13 PM1/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"I have no idea what you're talking about", said Joe, in reply to "William".

Joe "air quotes" Bernard

Kelly Sleeper

Jan 6, 2012, 12:32:06 AM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a New Yorker to me. :) I did like the lugged toothpick idea though.

Kelly

Mike

Jan 6, 2012, 8:22:51 AM1/6/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't read BSNYC daily but when I do I can't help but chuckle. I
love the idea of a "Lug Life" tattoo. I recently came across this
cycling blog and really like it, a nice combination of cycling history
and humor--"The blog's tone is decidedly schizophrenic, with one post
focusing on Colombia's cycling history, and the next being about Johan
Museeuw's hair plugs."

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/

--mike

PATRICK MOORE

Jan 6, 2012, 9:41:14 AM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting that link -- the few entries I've read are very interesting, particularly about Colombian cycling. Riv should start importing panela!

Steven Frederick

Jan 6, 2012, 1:17:57 PM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
He was funnier when he was edgy and anonymous...

William

Jan 6, 2012, 1:43:08 PM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those 17 kids of his mellowed him some, too, I imagine.

Steve Palincsar

Jan 6, 2012, 4:46:36 PM1/6/12
On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 13:17 -0500, Steven Frederick wrote:
> He was funnier when he was edgy and anonymous...

As far as I'm concerned, he was never funny.

cyclotourist

Jan 6, 2012, 5:37:58 PM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I look forward to reading him daily (and AHTBM tri-weekly).

Makes me feel tingly and warm inside.

READ SNOB

> --

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**

Joe Bernard

Jan 6, 2012, 6:00:07 PM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've never been in a BSNYC/Riv thread before. I didn't realize announcing I'm not a fan would start all this. It shant happen agian..I'm not thrilled that he may be reading this. Like I said, he seems like a nice fellow.

Esteban

Jan 6, 2012, 7:43:32 PM1/6/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
He's a very strong writer (which may be a reason Grant likes him so
much - it is for me). Maybe funny is not the best analytic.

Satire isn't usually funny. But successful satire is clever, and
often conveys a sharp critique. BSNYC is highly successful in both
ways.

Jim M.

Jan 6, 2012, 7:58:16 PM1/6/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
The first post pointed out Riv-content on BSNYC. That seems on-topic
to me. Whether anyone finds him funny or not seems off topic and prone
to inciting snarky discussion. I apologize for my part in it. I've
become very tired of the low signal-to-noise ratio on this list and
the iBOB list, and I may just have to take a break. But if anyone
wants to ride around Walnut Creek or thereabouts, let me know.

jim m
wc ca

islaysteve

Jan 6, 2012, 8:12:34 PM1/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Steves disagree markedly!...This is the straw/camel's back for Jim...I think Philip said it best, humor is not something that you can vote on.

IPATOM

Jan 7, 2012, 3:22:43 PM1/7/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think Bikesnob jumped the shark awhile ago. He can be funny but mean-
spirited at times....my 2 cents.