First commute -- Mystery Bike!

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 25, 2012, 3:06:37 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Finally got the Mystery Bike built up (still no fenders, though -- working on the right fender/tire/brake combo), and took it for its maiden voyage/first commute.  What a great bike!  A couple of pics here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ****************************************************

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

lungimsam

Sep 25, 2012, 3:36:10 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Beautiful!

What happened to the Marathons it came with?

lungimsam

Sep 25, 2012, 3:38:07 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

What crankset is that on the front?

Lyle Bogart

Sep 25, 2012, 3:41:46 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous bike! Perhaps I missed it in the previous thread about the build of this, but just how long are those chainstays? There's still a whole lotta bike behind the seat!

Cheers!

lyle

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 25, 2012, 4:06:15 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  Just measured the chainstays -- they're even longer than I would have guessed, effectively 54+ cm, with rear wheel all the way back in the horizontal drops.  Hence, I'm guessing, the extremely cushy ride.  But surprisingly (or maybe not, given the tentacular diagastays), it handles weight way back on the rack (which I could barely mount -- the struts are maxed out) beautifully.  No swaying at all (I haven't loaded it really heavily yet, so I guess the jury's out, but it feels really sturdy back there).  And it is definitely not sluggish in turns -- goes where you point it, when you point it.  So, bottom line seems to be that you get the benefits that conventional wisdom says you'd get from the long chainstays, without (at least based on my experience) the downsides.

Sep 25, 2012, 4:12:27 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A friend of mine had a pair of Rock 'n' Roads on his '80s MTB and told me he LOVED them -- some real trail traction without any road buzz.  So I tried them and liked them a lot -- my commute is mostly packed gravel or dirt trails, and they seemed a little better suited to it than the Marathons.  (Which I like a lot, BTW -- just not as well suited for the use this bike will mostly get.)

What happened to the Marathons it came with?

Lyle Bogart

Sep 25, 2012, 4:44:44 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
54+? Holy Moly, that's about 9cm longer than on my Atlantis! I bet that's a cushy ride. . . once again, gorgeous bike! Enjoy!

lyle

Matt Beebe

Sep 25, 2012, 4:58:30 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous bike, man.   thank you for posting.

Peter Pesce

Sep 25, 2012, 5:04:41 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! Pics!

Fantastic bike. That thing just oozes comfort!

-Pete in CT

dougP

Sep 25, 2012, 5:12:40 PM9/25/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great photos; looks super comfortable. When you get to the fenders,
think about how cool that bike would look with color matched fenders.
What a cruiser!

dougP

On Sep 25, 12:06 pm, "Allingham II, Thomas J"
<Thomas.Alling...@skadden.com> wrote:
> Finally got the Mystery Bike built up (still no fenders, though -- working on the right fender/tire/brake combo), and took it for its maiden voyage/first commute.  What a great bike!  A couple of pics here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/8023681452/in/photostream/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/8023688058/in/photostream/
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---
>
> To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
>
> This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.
>
> Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.
> ===========================================================================­===

islaysteve

Sep 25, 2012, 6:56:43 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful bike, glad to hear that you're so happy with it.  No doubt, well-designed but unconventional geometry.  I do have an issue with shift with stick/finger/whatever.  Really? How long is that going to last?  Downtube/suicide shifter I could see, if available of course.  Just my opinion, and what do I know?  Cheers, Steve

Joe Bernard

Sep 25, 2012, 8:49:39 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I doubt most people will actually stick-shift it. They'll probably get off and swap to the other chainring by hand like Quickbeamers do. I live at the top of a big hill so I'd start in the big ring, then stop and hand-shift at the turnaround.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Philip Williamson

Sep 25, 2012, 10:06:44 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Or just run a 40 or 44t chainring and a 9 speed cassette and never think about it again...
With 54cm chainstays, would you need a longer-than-stock chain to run a 52t ring and 34t cog?

Philip (a Quickbeamer) Williamson

Matt Beebe

Sep 26, 2012, 4:00:23 AM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I always use a stick to shift my QB-    it's usually a 5mm allen key that I keep in the saddlebag, but have also used a tire lever, multi-tool, pocket knife, or a stick lying on the ground nearby.     The chain is too dirty to be grabbing it by hand.

Matthew J

Sep 26, 2012, 8:56:04 AM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Really turned out well.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Jeremy Till

Sep 26, 2012, 12:16:19 PM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Something that stands out as I'm looking at the pictures more is that, in terms of seat tube and head tube length, this frame is much lower than "traditional" Riv sizing, and I'm assuming that this in intentional on the part of Riv, since you only provided them with a PBH, right?  Probably since this frame is meant to be ridden with Bosco's, which rise so much anyways, they figured a lower frame was appropriate.  TT length, obviously, is much longer for a given frame size than on the traditional frames.  That "aero" position down on the flats of the bars must feel pretty aero.

The more i look at it, the more I want one!  You must feel lucky that you took the plunge!

Brian Hanson

Sep 26, 2012, 1:38:19 PM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That seat tube looks really laid-back, as well!  Any way you can measure the angle?  Wow - I'll bet it's an awesome comfy ride!

Brian
Seattle

Montclair BobbyB

Sep 26, 2012, 3:51:06 PM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice, Tom!!! Totally tentacular!!

I'm waiting for someone to ask if that's an 'xtracycle / cargo bike'...

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 26, 2012, 3:57:57 PM9/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
40T ring on the front.  I honestly didn't count the cogs, but they progress gradually up to one that with the 40T ring is quite low.  For the riding this bike will get, I doubt I'll ever shift the front.  (I have a Quickbeam that gets more miles than any of my other bikes, and I've shifted it once, just to see how hard it was and what impact it had on gearing.)

[...]

Robert Barr

Sep 25, 2012, 10:35:32 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful bike and an Interesting thread. The drivetrain is interesting to me. I have a new Hunqapillar in the garage that will soon be my daily commuter. I spent a lot of time trying to think through the drivetrain and ended up with wide and low 40/26 chain rings and a 12-36 cassette. After much thinking (I enjoy that part...) I went without a front derailer. Location is everything.  I live in Indianapolis and shift about once a month when I run into a stiff wind. I haven't used my small chain ring in 2 years, so the thought of needing to reach down and move the chain doesn't trouble me. The 40 on the front and the 9 speed cassette offer me all the range I need. And the 26 will be there when/if I find time to ride the Hilly Hundred, And I can almost always find a good stick.

Allan in Portland

Sep 29, 2012, 1:50:45 PM9/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice. Maybe it's just me, but when I look at it I think tourer... low & comfy, plenty of room for luggage... no rush, my friend. We'll end no ride before its time.

-Allan

Joe Bernard

Sep 29, 2012, 8:48:12 PM9/29/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's all "chopper" to me. Long, low, with bars that reach way back to you. We have a Main Street next town over this would be perfect for. Cruisin' baby!

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.