Rivs meet in the wild

Steven Silbert

Jun 11, 2012, 8:55:09 PM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Today I came back to my Hillborne, which was parked in front of Linnea's Cafe in San Luis Obispo, only to find that it had found a friend! A beautiful Atlantis was parked next to Samwise (My Hillborne)... The light blue contrasted with the creamy green was a sight to behold. The owner was waiting for me to arrive so he could meet the owner. I drooled over his Phil Wood built, 40-spoke wheels while he checked out the double top tubes. This whole experience leaves me wondering... does this happen with other bicycle companies? Is it OK for me to get so excited meeting another Rivendell in the wild? I mean it happens with surlys and other companies, but not quite to the same degree.. We talked for like 30 minutes about how much we liked our bikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it feels nice belonging to such a cool, tight-knit community of people.

Bill

Jun 11, 2012, 11:36:54 PM6/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode past a Quickbeam a couple of months ago while I was out on my Sam here in Columbus, Ohio (Whetstone Park bike path).  I was in a hurry to be somewhere and did not have time to chat.  That was the only RivBike encounter I've had in almost two years.  Next time I'll stop.  Yes, my first thought was hey, there's someone else who "gets it".

Tim

Jun 12, 2012, 12:21:39 AM6/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch

Yes, it is a great experience. I was on a 72 mile group ride a couple
of weeks ago. I had been riding with a few other riders at a nice,
quick clip (with my Homer amongst all the crabon fiber), when a fast
pace line came by and the other riders jumped in with them. It was a
bit too fast for me so I dropped off, rather than blow up and bonk.
Anyway, after a few miles I saw a Carradice bag on the bike I was
about to pass. Then I saw the cream longboards and I pulled up next to
a Bleriot! I commented to the owner, and he to me. He had never seen a
Homer in person, nor had I seen a Bleriot. We rode together and
chatted about our bikes and Rivs in general. He has a Ramboulliet and
an Atlantis and maybe one other Riv besides the Bleriot. Anyway, you
are right about the kinship we feel with one another. I just don't see
how folks with plastic bikes could have the same feeling.

Scott Henry

Jun 12, 2012, 8:34:49 AM6/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think it happens with bikes of all different brands, but only if its a smaller company.   With a big brand you might get interested seeing the exact same model, but other than that, it may be neet seeing another Trek or Specialized or whatever, but it happens so much its not a big deal.

With a small builder, like Rivendell, it makes more of an impression.  Its all about the frequency.   For me personally, I see the occasional Riv here in Dayton (Ohio) but have yet to see or even hear of another Kogswell or Handsome here locally.   The reason being all three were/are small companies but of the three, Rivendell is the largest and we used to have a Riv dealer here in town.   For that reason, I'd be more excited to see a match for my new Handsome or my trusty Kogswell.

It would be even more so for a full custom builder.  Riv is small but still sells a fair number of frames and bikes annually.  Imagine a single man custom builder who pushes out a small handfull of frames yearly, those are going to be a much rarer sighting.  I've seen one Vanilla here in town, that would be a huge deal for that guy to run into another one because it will probably never happen.

Cheers,
Scott Henry
Dayton, OH

Jim

Jun 12, 2012, 3:51:34 PM6/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Among the gazillion bikes running around Boulder, i've seen exactly one Riv, an orange Hillborne that is parked at the Whole Foods store on Pearl.  There just has to be more....

Jim in Boulder

dougP

Jun 12, 2012, 7:22:04 PM6/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was on a bike tour in Wisconsin last summer, SAGBRAW, about 300 or
so people. Don't recall the model (maybe Ram?) but several times I
spotted an orange with cream head tube Rivendell, locked up at camp,
etc. Finally on the last day I met the owner outside a store. There
was also a Waterford on the tour. They are out there.

dougP
> > nice belonging to such a cool, tight-knit community of people.- Hide quoted text -

Doug Way

Jun 12, 2012, 9:17:25 PM6/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, james...@gmail.com
Hi Jim-

Briefly delurking to say that Deb and I have seen a few Rivs in Boulder.  Besides our white Roadeos (red & blue trim), there's an Atlantis I frequently see at University Bikes, an orange Quickbeam, an old Road Standard, and that orange Hillborne at WF.  Deb says we never park ours because we're usually riding them.  We ride Cherryvale road very frequently, from 55th and Arapahoe out to Superior and back.

What are you riding?  I probably should remember from your posts but I don't.  If I see you, I'll try to flag you down, :-).

We have two other Rivs, an Atlantis (mine) and a burgundy Heron.

Doug and Debbie
Boulder, CO

RJM

Jun 12, 2012, 9:30:13 PM6/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I saw a Romulus at a Kiwanis bike ride in Southern Illinois this past weekend, I was on my Sam Hillborne.  Of course we talked a little about bikes.  That Rom was way, way cool. I had my bike stripped down with no bags or racks because I wanted to try and ride a bit quicker and lighter, which I did. I had a great ride. I was also trying out some new tires 650bx32 Hutchinsons from Compass cycles which performed very well. The Romulus owner had a couple of racks and a nice dyno front wheel and lighting setup, plus what looked like a stuffed tiger tied on his handlebars.  Very cool bike.  I wish I got his name.

Mitch Browne

Jun 13, 2012, 10:44:21 PM6/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

Of course that's Hank's new Atlantis. It's the 4th Atlantis I know of in San Luis Obispo.

George, me, Hank, and one mystery owner.

The drive side Sugino crank on that bike is one I picked up at the Riv garage sale. Hank had to buy the LH crank.

Hank has been talking about a local Riv ride soon, that may have to happen.

Mitch Browne
San Luis Obispo

steven silbert

Jun 13, 2012, 10:49:54 PM6/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mitch,

I whole-heartedly agree. I'm in and out of SLO this year, but if I'm here I would love to join. I saw you riding back from Cuesta on the 1 the other day. I went there for almost five years and loved it. It's nice to see other people commuting by bike.

Steven Silbert

dougP

Jun 13, 2012, 11:35:43 PM6/13/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mitch / Steve / Hank / etc:

By all means let me know when you plan something. I'm in the area
from time to time & would try to schedule a visit around a ride. For
So Cal Rivendellians it's a weekend trip that's well worth the
effort.

dougP

On Jun 13, 7:49 pm, steven silbert <skakid8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mitch,
>
> I whole-heartedly agree. I'm in and out of SLO this year, but if I'm here I would love to join. I saw you riding back from Cuesta on the 1 the other day. I went there for almost five years and loved it. It's nice to see other people commuting by bike.
>
> Steven Silbert
>
> On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Mitch Browne wrote:
>

> > Steven,
>
> > Of course that's Hank's new Atlantis. It's the 4th Atlantis I know of in San Luis Obispo.
>
> > George, me, Hank, and one mystery owner.
>
> > The drive side Sugino crank on that bike is one I picked up at the Riv garage sale. Hank had to buy the LH crank.
>
> > Hank has been talking about a local Riv ride soon, that may have to happen.
>
> > Mitch Browne
> > San Luis Obispo
>
> > On Monday, June 11, 2012 5:55:09 PM UTC-7, Steven Silbert wrote:
> > Today I came back to my Hillborne, which was parked in front of Linnea's Cafe in San Luis Obispo, only to find that it had found a friend! A beautiful Atlantis was parked next to Samwise (My Hillborne)... The light blue contrasted with the creamy green was a sight to behold. The owner was waiting for me to arrive so he could meet the owner. I drooled over his Phil Wood built, 40-spoke wheels while he checked out the double top tubes. This whole experience leaves me wondering... does this happen with other bicycle companies? Is it OK for me to get so excited meeting another Rivendell in the wild? I mean it happens with surlys and other companies, but not quite to the same degree.. We talked for like 30 minutes about how much we liked our bikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it feels nice belonging to such a cool, tight-knit community of people.

James Warren

Jun 14, 2012, 12:20:09 AM6/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

If after July 3, could fit very well with my summer wanderings.

James Warren

- Remember, my friends, it is better to feel fast than to be fast.