Image Request: Boscoe Bars from Above

Rob

Jul 24, 2012, 9:26:20 PM7/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a pic of the bullmoose (or any) Bosco Bars from above, looking directly down at 'em? Not from the cockpit, but as if you were standing on a ladder directly overhead?

I'd like to see how far back behind the quill the ends of the bars fall, and get a better idea of the angle. Thinking about a Bosco as a bar for my '91 MB-3, which'll still be a mountain-ish bike.

Thanks!

Rob in Seattle

John Blish

Jul 25, 2012, 12:06:00 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

These pics are not what you asked for but they do show a Bosco mounted on on a '91 MB-1.  Might give you some idea about your own intended set-up.  Any questions?  I am happy to help if I can.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114723594013845712604/1991MB1July242012?authkey=Gv1sRgCMTr-8CUvv72LQ

The bars do not get in my way but sometimes that involves taking a foot off the pedal and extending that leg more straight down to the ground to avoid the end of the bar when making a tight turn - keeping the knee and thigh out of the way.  It all comes very naturally and there have been no awkward moments in connection with the bars.  Fact is, with the Big Apples and the Bosco bars it is not that different than driving a '56 Buick.

If you need a specific shot in addition to what Joe sent, let me know.

-jb

John Blish
Minneapolis MN USA

bu56tv01.jpg

Andy Smitty Schmidt

Jul 25, 2012, 12:32:53 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just for you, Rob...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rdv8D5eDwhPB0lhsb1sgHNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
If you need more details than what's in the caption, give a holler.
--Andy

Joe Bunik

Jul 25, 2012, 12:41:19 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... I avoid the bar end knee strike by virtue of the long stem (and
possibly top tube) - interesting to see how you set yours up more
MTB-style, John. I'll say though, the bars do give a Nice Big Ride
quality - this long chainstayed Trek rides like a limo- or a paperboy
bike. My feeble attempt at emulating the tentacular spectacular Bosco
Rubbe! ;-)

Joe

Joe Bunik

Jul 25, 2012, 12:48:58 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Scrutinizing my low res photos, I should add that the bolt of the
quill stem is centered somewhat between the 17" and 18" mark on the
tape- hence bar ends extend rearward another 6" beyond (8" with barend
fully straight).

=- Joe

Robert Barr

Jul 24, 2012, 9:39:27 PM7/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

I have Alba bars on my MB-3 and they are perfect for me. I was tempted by the appearance of the bullmoose and  Bosco bars, but just for a moment. If I were setting the bike up now I would probably get the Boscos, but I think we are talking degrees of design perfection. If no overhead of the Boscos appears I can send you a picture of the Albas on an MB-3.

Bob

Rob

Jul 25, 2012, 3:49:27 PM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You guys totally rock! (Just so you know.) Thanks for the pics. The top tube on my MB-3 is 59cm. It's the largest size, I believe (according to the catalog I found on Sheldon's website) but still feels a bit small to me...so maybe super-long top tubes were not the rage in 1991.

I was thinking at first look at Joe's photos that the Bosco'd bring the grips way too far back, but maybe...imagining braking on a rough downhill...having the grips and brakes so far back would be an advantage off-road. (As opposed, say, to moustache bars, where braking would require reaching the farthest point *forward* on the bars.)

I'm hoping to turn the MB-3 into a poor-man's adventure bike, while I'm waiting for my XL rSogn...which itself is a poor-ish man's adventure bike. It's really been great having a compliment to my Saluki for rougher stuff.

Thanks again.

Rob in Seattle

Marc Irwin

Jul 27, 2012, 7:00:48 AM7/27/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here you can find, an shot comparing the big Bosco to an Alba from above.  I put the Bosco's on my Hillborne and love them so much I intend to replace the the drops on my Hunq with the bullmoose model later this year.  They are awesome.

Marc

Garth

Jul 28, 2012, 7:07:29 PM7/28/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Alba bars are going to be a little more forward than the Bosco by their nature.    It's all about each rider, the frame's TT length, the stem length and of course the ever intangible rider preference.

Thomas Lynn Skean

Jul 30, 2012, 3:02:10 PM7/30/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Data point:

I have my Albatross bar on a 10cm Tallux stem. I have my Bosco bar on a 12cm Tallux stem.

To me it *feels* like the Bosco comes back towards me a little more than the Albatross bar, even given the 2cm additional extension and the lower height of the actual stem (the Albatross and Bosco hand grips are pretty close in height, which means the Bosco bar's stem is lower, which means its clamp is pushed slightly further forward than even the 2cm greater extension would suggest).

My comparisons are subjective. But they are in the context of identical frames, saddles, and saddle height and saddle setback.

FYI,
Thomas Lynn Skean