Hunqapillar or Hillborne

Joe Bernard

Jul 25, 2011, 5:08:08 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Being the shallow "I'll take the pretty one" bike buyer that I am, I was leaning towards getting a Hunqapillar because I love the grey/kidney-bean scheme, then Grant had the audacity to introduce a gorgeous new green on the Sam. Now I'm relegated to deciding based on that pesky "function" criteria. Whatever.

So..I'm 5'-7", 170 lbs., 79PBH, probably on a 48cm with either model. Short-to-medium around-town hops, lightly loaded saddlebag, gentle fireroad potential. What say yous alls?

Joe Bernard
Fairfield, CA.

Seth Vidal

Jul 25, 2011, 5:12:40 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

It's a good problem to have is what I say. :)

I believe someone one referred to this as a "high class dilemma".

I like the paint job on the hunqapillar better, personally.

-sv

Jim Mather

Jul 25, 2011, 5:23:28 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Have you ridden both? If not, get thee to RBW and try them.

I have ridden both, and I'd get a Hunq.

jim m
wc ca

Steve Palincsar

Jul 25, 2011, 5:32:57 PM7/25/11
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 14:23 -0700, Jim Mather wrote:
> Have you ridden both? If not, get thee to RBW and try them.
>
> I have ridden both, and I'd get a Hunq.

What would be the deciding factor leaning you towards it rather than the
Sam? The fireroad capability?

Jim Mather

Jul 25, 2011, 6:09:15 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I really enjoy the Hunq's ride and that it fits much wider tires than
the Sam. The Hunq is my idea of a bike for the Continental Divide
Trail. Also, the Sam overlaps too much with bikes I already have.

jim m
wc ca

newenglandbike

Jul 25, 2011, 6:13:09 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Both are made for everything up to and including fully-loaded touring, so you could go either way.    Definitely do a test ride if you can though.

Garth

Jul 25, 2011, 6:32:01 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Hunqapillar !    Have you ridden wider tires?  Once I got a Bombadil ..... my desire to ride even 35mm tires on my road bike has gone by the wayside... and don't even ride it these days.  Now I want another Riv .... Hunqapillar or Sam I thought .... for about a day!  Hunqapillar was an easy decision... as 38mm tires would be the narrowist tire I'd likely ride anyways.... but I'll use 2" Duremes on it.

BTW ... for other buyers of the H .... I contacted Keven about changing the color to just a single color (no pinstripes)... a repaint on a new frame is $100. I'm in.

Thomas Lynn Skean

Jul 25, 2011, 6:35:03 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Surely either bike has *plenty* of ability to spare for the tasks you describe. That is, I commute daily on a Hillborne, primarily on trail, 10 miles each way. with a 260lb minimum payload (rider+cargo), for over 4,000 miles so far. The Hillborne feels sturdy and stable in this role. I've had 300+ lbs (rider+cargo) on it and ridden improved trails for scores of miles. The cargo felt a little shaky, but the bike was not. The Hunqapillar surely would be even more sturdy.

There are a number of differences that may matter to a given person, but aren't really deciding factors based on your purpose for the bike.

26" (Hunq) vs 650B (Hill)
standover is slightly higher (bottom bracket slightly higher) on Hunqapillar
longer chainstays (Hunqapillar)
soft tires (Hill) vs. super-soft tires (Hunq)
wide tires (Hill) vs. super-wide tires (Hunq)

You *might* consider the 52cm Hillborne, depending on how you like your sizing.

As for looks... I feel opposite the way you do. I don't really care for lug lining or the grey/kidney scheme. I don't *love love love* the Hillborne green, but I do prefer it.

In fact, I'm probably going to get a second Hillborne (instead of a Hunqapillar) myself. That reflects the facts that I have several interchangeable cockpits which already fit the Hillborne, that I think the Hillborne is plenty of bike for my uses, and that I know the Hillborne fits me well. (In my 60cm size, the Hillborne is roughly between the Hunqa's 58cm and 62cm sizes... the 58cm is close but I'd rather go bigger if I change at all... so it's a tough call.) It does not indicate that the Hillborne is a better bike than the Hunqapillar.

Obviously, if you have a chance to ride one of each, do so. That should probably be the deciding event. Either choice is good on the face of it.

Also obviously, I'm of no help at all. Sorry. Good luck!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean

Joe Bernard

Jul 25, 2011, 6:55:03 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It was quite helpful, actually. I hadn't considered the BB height/chainstay differences. I prefer the more "roadish" Hillborne spec. Hmm..

William

Jul 25, 2011, 7:58:58 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Small Hunqa's run 26" wheels, while small Sam's run 650B.  I'd think that would drive many folks' decision one way or the other.  I'm a fan of 650B, but it will be easier to get 4 or 5 really cool different sets of tires to run on your Hunqa to give it a wide range of personalities.

Joe Bernard

Jul 25, 2011, 8:20:13 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's a tough one for me. I prefer 26-inch wheels, and have a nice set ready to transfer from my CB-Zip to the Hunqapillar (sorry, I can't bring myself to say "Hunqa". Reminds me of an Elvis song).

Scotty

Jul 25, 2011, 8:24:21 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I think the Hunqapillar may just be the prettiest thing on 2 wheels. I just love the looks of that bike.

William

Jul 25, 2011, 8:30:58 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Double check to make sure your CB-Zip rear wheel is 135mm or plan on spacing it out.  You don't want to be forcing a 130mm rear wheel into a nice new Rivendell.

Joe Bernard

Jul 25, 2011, 8:36:27 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's a 135 8-speed, not the original CB-Zip wheel. I believe the Sam and Hunqapillar are both 135, but I'll double check.

William

Jul 25, 2011, 8:38:38 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they both are 135mm.  You are good to go!

charlie

Jul 25, 2011, 9:40:15 PM7/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Making a 130 fit into 135 is no biggie......aside from that at 170
pounds I think a Hillborne would be fine if you are primarily a road
rider.....if a dirt dabbler the Hunqua would be my choice as a better
all rounder but then I am finally now at a mere 258 and dropping. Any
of the Rive bikes can be ridden on trails by a lighter skilled rider
but us big people need more bike under us IHMO. I once had a early
model Specialized (lugged) Stumpjumper and wish I had kept it. The
Hunq seems like a good re-creation of that but........personally I
love the twin top tube look of the Sam and may consider replacing my
Long Haul Trucker frame with one or an Atlantis. So many choices!

Seth

Jul 25, 2011, 11:08:01 PM7/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

I have a 60cm Hillborne and really like its versatility. Depending on
mood and setting, I can any tire from a 50mm Supremes to a 28mm Rolly-
polly (no fenders in LA). The geometry is great on hills, trails as
well as the road.

I usually ride with a Berthoud Tall handlebar bag which works without
complaint.

Cheers,

Seth Ely

Joe Bernard wrote:
> Being the shallow "I'll take the pretty one" bike buyer that I am, I was
> leaning towards getting a Hunqapillar because I love the grey/kidney-bean
> scheme, then Grant had the *audacity* to introduce a gorgeous new green on

naw...@comcast.net

Jul 25, 2011, 11:13:41 PM7/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hey Ya Joe,

That green SH sure looks good to me.  I am contemplating that one myself to add to the Rodeo and SimpleOne.

Have Fun!

Dave Nawrocki

Fort Collins, CO

Mike

Jul 25, 2011, 11:20:37 PM7/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
> That green SH sure looks good to me.  I am contemplating that one myself to add to the Rodeo and SimpleOne.
>
> Dave Nawrocki

That would be a pretty complete Riv quiver.

--mike

Geoff

Jul 26, 2011, 12:27:00 AM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Well, you know I went with the Hunq.  I love it, and I only ride on smooth paved roads.  I didn't really need the slightly stouter tubing, but it didn't matter.  The Hunq rides beautifully on paved roads with the Schwalbe 700 x 50 Big Apples I have on it.  It doesn't feel sluggish at all, though I wouldn't doubt that a Sam with narrower tires might feel a little zippier.  Color schemes are so subjective.  I happen to be one who loves the gray and kidney bean red colors of the Hunq.  Of the different Riv model color schemes, I'd have to say that my hands down favorite would have to be the Bombadil foresty green and cream color scheme.  Simply gorgeous.

Joe, you owe it to yourself to go to Riv HQ and look at, sit on, and test ride those bikes!  Try bikes with the different bars- moustache, albatross, Bullmoose...and, if you like drops, the Noodle.  Trying the different models with different cockpit setups, will really help you to decide which model and setup looks and feels just right for you.

As others here have said, you can't go wrong with either.  Try both out, and see which one feels like "home" to you.

Good luck!  And have fun with the process!

Geoff

Zack

Jul 26, 2011, 9:21:19 AM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had this same quandary in May.

I went to Riv, which was awesome and fun and totally worth it, and rode them both.

They are both fantastic bikes.

I ended up going with the Hillborne just because it felt more like bikes that I am used to riding (only way, way better).

For the record, I am not a huge fan of the kidney bean and grey, but it's pretty cool in person.  I liked the orange and grey more.  I like the solid color/cream on most other Rivendells more than both of those by a long shot.

I should be getting the SH soon, I cannot wait.

Thomas Lynn Skean

Jul 26, 2011, 10:46:35 AM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh, to be able to go to Riv!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean

Jeff H

Jul 26, 2011, 10:56:13 AM7/26/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am also in the process of making the same decison: Hunq or
Hilborne.. my PBH is around 85... budget is $3500... use is off and
on road...

I was there yesterday, Mon. July 25, prepared to make a decision
leaning a bit more to the Hillborne when I was made aware of a couple
changes on the Hillborne.:
Color for one.. a green that is purported to have been used on early
Porsches that closely approximates asparagus soup... not bad just
takes getting used to it , of more concern to me was the labelling...
a bit too much information and large...minor point.. I like the
monchromatic paint.. not the label size or color.
Double top tubes... said to be a strength issue for the size and
geometry given the type of tubing used
And thirdly the main mechanical item... side pull brakes... not
cantilever as found on the previous offerings...
So.. if you are wanting cantilevers... the Hillborne is not the
unit... unless you want to wait for a Waterford made frame and pay
$450 more..not an option I'd choose.
I was assured that the side pulls would be fine on and off road which
makes, which I do not doubt, but me wonder why cantilevers are used
on the more off road leaning models such as the Hunq and Bombadil...
not side pulla... just a point of interest.

The Hunq was a very interesting bike...and rode well.... I am not
fond of the white pinstriping.. all else ok... In my size, a 54, this
would be a 700 C bike...
This bike comes with cantilever brakes and will accomodate the largest
of the tires.
This size does not have the extra tube.... another factor based on the
geopmetry for my size and the tubing used.

So ... I made no decision... I would probably have selected the
Hillborne if it was a cantilever brake... but not inclined to wait for
a Waterford or pay the additional $450.. I'd rather use the $450 on
another bike model or equipment.

After discussions with a couple folks there... the decison seemed to
them to come down to choice of tire size.....and simply accept the
colors and brakes offered on the bike of choice. A simple decision ?
perhaps... but when contemplating an expenditure of roughly $3k I'd
like to hit as many bases as possible, including the old fashioned gut
feeling that THE choice is obvious choice.

I don't think there were any bad choices....

Best of luck with your decision and consider the brake issue... side
pull or Cantilever.. that may make a difference to you.

Leslie

Jul 26, 2011, 12:41:00 PM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't think the sidepull/cantilever difference is so much in performance, but in clearance:   If you have a really fat knobby tire, you might have to deflate it to get it out of a sidepull, even one with a quick-release to widen the mouth;  whereas a cantilever or a v-brake is going to open up a lot wider to get the tire out.

If you're running a not-as-wide tire, in a large-enough sidepull that has a quick-release, you probably won't have to deflate it to get it out.

Some canti's may stop more than others, but stick out more than others, if that's a concern.   Sidepulls wouldn't stick out at all.  Running bags may influence that choice, too.

Bruce Baker

Jul 26, 2011, 1:14:19 PM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't think any of you should over analyze this buy one of each!!  If any of you are interested in the old green Sam Hillborne Mountain sports in Bristol, TN has some frames.  I bought a 56 cm from them
about 6 months ago.  They bought alot of frames when they first came out.

Bruce Baker

Jul 26, 2011, 1:44:10 PM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey everybody Mountainsports is in VA not TN.....
Mountain Sports is located at 1021 Commonwealth Avenue, Bristol, VA 24201.
Get Directions

Phone

276.466.8988

Store Hours

Monday - Friday: 10 am - 7 pm
Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm
Sunday: 1 pm - 5 pm

Seth Vidal

Jul 26, 2011, 1:51:59 PM7/26/11
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Bruce Baker <bkn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody Mountainsports is in VA not TN.....
> Mountain Sports is located at 1021 Commonwealth Avenue, Bristol, VA 24201.
> Get Directions

Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA are the same city.

MSL is on the VA side of state street, true - but it doesn't matter a
hill of beans which one you list.

The guys there are quite nice, and go digging around in their misc
parts, they have some NOS things you might want.

-sv

Joe Bernard

Jul 26, 2011, 4:13:27 PM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the responses, everybody, it's been very helpful. I've avoided the topic, but many of you realize I'm minutes away from RBW, and are promoting test rides, which may seem obvious. I won't bore you with the details, but my situation makes that difficult (Google Aspergers if you're interested in autism spectrum issues). It's do-able, and I've been there before, but it's an exhausting process that doesn't come easily for me, hence my attempts to get impressions from others here.

Thanks again,
Joe Bernard
Fairfield, CA

Norman

Jul 26, 2011, 8:55:35 PM7/26/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 5'8" and have a PBH of 80. I have and love my 52 Sam
(Waterford.) There's plenty of standover room and allows for higher
bars (I have drops on it.) If I had unlimited cash (and storage),
I'd think about getting a Hunq. or Bombadil, and probably an
Atlantis. But for one bike, I'm glad I made the choice I did. It
really does everything I want it for(but maybe not "mountain" biking
and not long distance touring if those are in your itinerary.) In the
end, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
Norman

Joe Bernard

Jul 26, 2011, 9:30:42 PM7/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nah, my mountain biking would be reserved for gentle trails. I have an old Cannondale if I ever want to fall over on singletrack at China Camp again. And long distance is happily reserved for a big ole recumbent trike seat. It looks like I'll still be resorting to picking a color..assuming I even do it now. I'm still in the "do I need a new bike" stage right now. Do the 48-52 Sam's come with cantis?

charlie

Jul 27, 2011, 12:06:01 AM7/27/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ya know its odd how some of us prefer cantis and others side/center
pulls......I really like the ease of set up and brake pad switching of
the side/centerpull brakes over cantis. I've owned/own both and don't
see a difference in performance for the way I ride.
Cantis seem fine for a bike make for really wide rubber but on the
Hillborne I prefer the sidepull option. In my experience the biggest
difference in performance I've seen comes from the type of pad one
uses.

On Jul 25, 2:08 pm, Joe Bernard <joerem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Being the shallow "I'll take the pretty one" bike buyer that I am, I was
> leaning towards getting a Hunqapillar because I love the grey/kidney-bean
> scheme, then Grant had the *audacity* to introduce a gorgeous new green on

Joe Bernard

Jul 27, 2011, 12:50:06 AM7/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My preference for cantis is purely from familiarity; I can set them up in my sleep. I've also developed a bit of nostalgia for the "CNC era" selection shown in the BikePro Buyer's Guide..the stuff that was flushed by the arrival of XTR V-brakes. Incidentally, in spite of the fact that V-brakes are supposedly easier to set up, I can't get it right to save my life.

Joe Bernard

Jul 27, 2011, 2:08:04 AM7/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Porsche green, eh? That's funny, I just emailed Grant a couple days ago that the color reminded me of Pescarolo, a team that runs a car in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. After reading your post, I Googled "Porsche green", and came up with a vast "green Porsches" collection. Yep, it looks like a mid-'60s 911. That's pretty cool.

Geoff

Jul 27, 2011, 8:46:10 AM7/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My first "recent history" experience with high profile canti brakes was when I test rode an Atlantis.  It was the first demo bike they could find in my size that had a Bullmoose bar, which I wanted to try to see if I liked it.  The first thing I noticed(beside the fact that the bike was a blast to ride) was how sensitive and powerful the brakes felt...in a really, really good way.  And quite different than how the side pull brakes felt on the Betty Foy.  I knew then, from the test ride, that 1) I wanted the high profile canti brakes, and 2) I wanted the Bullmoose bar.  Oh, and 3) I definitely wanted the Hunq.