Got better pedals, need better shoes

Michael Hechmer

Jul 18, 2011, 11:30:06 AM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My search for a new pedal to provide some variety from the Frogs, which I really like, has ended in success.  I got a pair of White Ind. urban pedals and the Bruce Gordon half clips, I really like them.  They are almost as easy in and out as the Fogs and almost as secure.  They are pretty comfortable too, especially for the two hour rides on back roads that I do a lot of.

However, my New Balance 908 sneakers don't quite fit the clip right(ok but not great)  and the toes on the Keen Commuter, which i wear with the Frogs, don't fit under the clip.  So I'm thinking about a shoe with a lower front profile but they are hard to find in a size 13.  Ecco has one ($140, ouch!) and this cycling shoe from Keen:

Does anyone have any experience with these?

BTW, I now have a pair of Grip King pedals which got used just enough to get dirty, maybe 50 miles or so, which need a home.
$45 shipped conus.

Michael

Bruce Baker

Jul 18, 2011, 12:21:46 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the white ind pedals with MKS toe clips love the combination.  I have been wearing these timberlands but don't think they sell 13's and must not be good seller since they are now half price.  I personally like these shoes and may buy another pair as a spare.  There was thread not too long ago on this subject and someone mentioned the Patgonia Boaris as a nice riding shoe...

Allingham II, Thomas J

Jul 18, 2011, 1:17:19 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I believe Bruce sells a variety of toe clips that have a slightly bigger toe box -- give him a call.

Jul 18, 2011, 1:27:47 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Tom – here is a link to our store, and if you click thru the pictures – you can see the Regular Clip and the Boot Model.

http://brucegordoncycles.bigcartel.com/product/stainless-strapless-clips

Regards,

Bruce Gordon

http://brucegordoncycles.blogspot.com/

Steve Wimberg

Jul 18, 2011, 2:23:50 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I wear the Keen Coronado Cruisers when I ride, and love them.  I have Grip Kings with pedal spikes (the flat ones, not the pointy ones.)  The combination of shoes and pedal with spikes works great for me.  Comfortable and very, very grippy.  The grippiness of the pedal was expanded greatly with the addition of the spikes.

The toe of the Coronados is still bigger than your average shoe, though.  It seems to be like most of the other Keen shoes.  I'm not so sure that they would fit well under the half clips.  However, the boot model might work.

I don't find the Cornonados all that comfortable to walk around in.  They are really flat and somewhat stiff, which is great for cycling, but not so much for walking.

Steve

Mike S

Jul 18, 2011, 5:32:02 PM7/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have worn Patagonia's tennis shoe-type model, the 'Bagley', for
about 9 months now, and I absolutely love them. They are light but
tough and well-made, and the sole has a good grip on the GripKing's I
use. They also look good as a casual shoe and in the 'coal dust' color
they hide dirt very well and stay looking nice for a long time.

I think you said you are a size 13? Planet Shoes has a 13 on sale for
$60, down from the $100 list price. They fit like a true 13 (I'm a 13
too).
You can find them here:
http://www.planetshoes.com/item/patagonia-bagley-men/2861/825?source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping

On Jul 18, 2:23 pm, Steve Wimberg <st...@stevewimberg.com> wrote:
> I wear the Keen Coronado Cruisers when I ride, and love them.  I have Grip Kings with pedal spikes (the flat ones, not the pointy ones.)  The combination of shoes and pedal with spikes works great for me.  Comfortable and very, very grippy.  The grippiness of the pedal was expanded greatly with the addition of the spikes.
>
> The toe of the Coronados is still bigger than your average shoe, though.  It seems to be like most of the other Keen shoes.  I'm not so sure that they would fit well under the half clips.  However, the boot model might work.
>
> I don't find the Cornonados all that comfortable to walk around in.  They are really flat and somewhat stiff, which is great for cycling, but not so much for walking.
>
> Steve
>
> On Jul 18, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Michael Hechmer wrote:
>
> > My search for a new pedal to provide some variety from the Frogs, which I really like, has ended in success.  I got a pair of White Ind. urban pedals and the Bruce Gordon half clips, I really like them.  They are almost as easy in and out as the Fogs and almost as secure.  They are pretty comfortable too, especially for the two hour rides on back roads that I do a lot of.
>
> > However, my New Balance 908 sneakers don't quite fit the clip right(ok but not great)  and the toes on the Keen Commuter, which i wear with the Frogs, don't fit under the clip.  So I'm thinking about a shoe with a lower front profile but they are hard to find in a size 13.  Ecco has one ($140, ouch!) and this cycling shoe from Keen:
> >http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/shoes/men/pedal/corona...
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with these?
>
> > BTW, I now have a pair of Grip King pedals which got used just enough to get dirty, maybe 50 miles or so, which need a home.
> > $45 shipped conus.
>
> > Michael

islaysteve

Jul 18, 2011, 5:53:44 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This may be a little off the wall, but I wear Piloti driving shoes when I ride.  I use VO half clips and they seem to work well, but I'm at the opposite end of the size spectrum (7).  My Pilotis are mod G16 (I think) and are great all-round weekend shoes.  I also like the looks of them.  Don't know how high the sizes go, but they are only in Med, I think I normally wear a wide, and these are not a problem.  These shoes have been discounted on the web, I got my last pair for $30.  Cheers, Steve

charlie

Jul 18, 2011, 8:03:42 PM7/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can't help much, I wear New Balance outdoor style shoes.....all brown
and green looking with a narrower heel and wide sized. Can't wear my
Tevas since three toenails got destroyed slamming into stuff.
Stopped using toe clips when I stopped using slotted cleats on my old
Spanish cycling shoes from the early 80's. I ride those BMX pedals
with pins.... they grip, they are wide, my feet don't slip and they
don't get numb.

On Jul 18, 8:30 am, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My search for a new pedal to provide some variety from the Frogs, which I
> really like, has ended in success.  I got a pair of White Ind. urban pedals
> and the Bruce Gordon half clips, I really like them.  They are almost as
> easy in and out as the Fogs and almost as secure.  They are pretty
> comfortable too, especially for the two hour rides on back roads that I do a
> lot of.
>
> However, my New Balance 908 sneakers don't quite fit the clip right(ok but
> not great)  and the toes on the Keen Commuter, which i wear with the Frogs,
> don't fit under the clip.  So I'm thinking about a shoe with a lower front
> profile but they are hard to find in a size 13.  Ecco has one ($140, ouch!)
> and this cycling shoe from Keen:http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/shoes/men/pedal/corona...

Tom M

Jul 18, 2011, 9:17:00 PM7/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have those same pedals with VO half-clips and wear Chrome Arnhem. Nice stiff soles with a pretty low profile. They have some new leather models that look good.

bicyclebill

Jul 19, 2011, 4:57:48 PM7/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Received my current issue of Bicycle Quarterly today and, by
coincidence, they had a very favorable review of the Keen Austin
shoe. I might check them out myself!

On Jul 18, 11:30 am, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My search for a new pedal to provide some variety from the Frogs, which I
> really like, has ended in success.  I got a pair of White Ind. urban pedals
> and the Bruce Gordon half clips, I really like them.  They are almost as
> easy in and out as the Fogs and almost as secure.  They are pretty
> comfortable too, especially for the two hour rides on back roads that I do a
> lot of.
>
> However, my New Balance 908 sneakers don't quite fit the clip right(ok but
> not great)  and the toes on the Keen Commuter, which i wear with the Frogs,
> don't fit under the clip.  So I'm thinking about a shoe with a lower front
> profile but they are hard to find in a size 13.  Ecco has one ($140, ouch!)
> and this cycling shoe from Keen:http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/shoes/men/pedal/corona...

rob markwardt

Jul 21, 2011, 4:24:33 PM7/21/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
The TImberlines are now down to 39.99. I bought a pair three days ago
for 49.99 and they showed up today. My 7 year old daughters first
response..."those are the ugliest shoes I've ever seen"!

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11226425

They feel comfortable out of the box. I hope to try them out on the
bike this afternoon. Look for the guy on the green Rambouillet with
the ugliest shoes ever!

On Jul 18, 9:21 am, Bruce Baker <bkno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the white ind pedals with MKS toe clips love the combination.  I have
> been wearing these timberlands but don't think they sell 13's and must not
> be good seller since they are now half price.  I personally like these shoes
> and may buy another pair as a spare.  There was thread not too long ago on
> this subject and someone mentioned the Patgonia Boaris as a nice riding
> shoe...
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > My search for a new pedal to provide some variety from the Frogs, which I
> > really like, has ended in success.  I got a pair of White Ind. urban pedals
> > and the Bruce Gordon half clips, I really like them.  They are almost as
> > easy in and out as the Fogs and almost as secure.  They are pretty
> > comfortable too, especially for the two hour rides on back roads that I do a
> > lot of.
>
> > However, my New Balance 908 sneakers don't quite fit the clip right(ok but
> > not great)  and the toes on the Keen Commuter, which i wear with the Frogs,
> > don't fit under the clip.  So I'm thinking about a shoe with a lower front
> > profile but they are hard to find in a size 13.  Ecco has one ($140, ouch!)
> > and this cycling shoe from Keen:
>
> >http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/shoes/men/pedal/corona...<http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/shoes/men/pedal/corona...>
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with these?
>
> > BTW, I now have a pair of Grip King pedals which got used just enough to
> > get dirty, maybe 50 miles or so, which need a home.
> > $45 shipped conus.
>
> > Michael

Bruce Baker

Jul 21, 2011, 4:36:08 PM7/21/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
They sorta look like a bowling shoe.  I've got about 600 miles on mine with no problems and they are also easy to walk around in.

rob markwardt

Jul 21, 2011, 4:42:46 PM7/21/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah. I think they look pretty cool. I'll likely wear them a lot just
to freak her out.