Rayon for Riding?

PATRICK MOORE

Jul 12, 2012, 1:45:45 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owners-bunch
Purely by accident I happened to wear a rayon ss shirt for about 23
miles of riding over two days, this after wearing it fresh on Sunday,
wearing it again on Wednesday, sleeping in it Wed evening (yes, I
know) and wearing it just now to ride home, all this in very humid,
for us, 35% humidity -- ie, I sweated a lot. I won't guarantee the
shirt's cleanliness in any absolute way, but I did notice that it did
not stink at all -- rather like wool in that regard; and that it was
no more "icky" for hot, humid riding than any other woven material --
if anything, thanks to its softer hand, it seemed to absorb better
than, say, seersucker.

Has any of y'all ridden much in 100 puh sent rayon? How did you like it?

Patrick "rayon today, too, but a clean one" Moore

--
"When in Rome, do as they done in Milledgeville."

Flannery O'Connor

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

Leslie

Jul 12, 2012, 5:47:11 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There's a reason why rayon became the fabric-of-choice for Hawaiian shirts... :)

Peter Pesce

Jul 12, 2012, 5:57:14 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Most of what is advertised these days as "bamboo" clothing is rayon in which bamboo is (perhaps) used as the source of the cellulose.
Many people seem to like "bamboo" clothing for athletic endeavors so it makes sense that you'd find it works well also.

Robert F. Harrison

Jul 12, 2012, 6:40:28 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I often wear Aloha shirts (as we call them here) while riding. I also live in Hawaii which makes it somewhat less conspicuous. They are bright, loose fitting, dry quickly after a rain shower and pretty much perfect for any occasion in the islands (weddings, funerals, parties, you name it). Indeed, with a comfortable pair of shorts, sandals, and a decent Aloha shirt you are both ready to ride and well dressed. I have to wear long pants at work, though that's about the extent of my dress code. I'll wear an Aloha shirt and convertible pants. When I get to work, I zip on the leggings... voilà!

Aloha!

Bob

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Leslie <leslie...@gmail.com> wrote:
There's a reason why rayon became the fabric-of-choice for Hawaiian shirts... :)

Robert Harrison
rfhar...@gmail.com
statrix.com

Robert Barr

Jul 12, 2012, 8:44:15 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,

My experience is that hot weather clothing is even more personal than cold weather gear. I have ridden in rayon Aloha shirts, but in Indiana, when it gets really hot and humid I have to have my puckerwear shirts (Patagonia's seersucker). It is important to note that your high humidity would normally be pleasantly low around here.

Bob

PATRICK MOORE

Jul 13, 2012, 11:20:53 AM7/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting: I did not know that wood fiber fabric was so good. My
rayons have been picked up by chance from the GW shirt rack (along
with silks and very nice cottons) -- haven't been to GW in quite a
while; must cruise the aisles to see if there are any rayons
available.

During my morning meditations today I was perusing an old Nat Geo that
had a blurb about bamboo and its growing use for cloth fiber --
interesting.

We are suffering cruel, I say cruel, humidity, topping 40% in the
morning coolth and still excessive in the 30s during the warmth of the
day: monsoon (all 9" of it!) season, doncha know.

Leslie

Jul 13, 2012, 6:31:40 PM7/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Our humidity just broke, has dropped to 58%...

Not daily, but, not uncommon to have 100% humidity days here...

Robert Barr

Jul 13, 2012, 11:42:39 AM7/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, no rain in central Indiana, but it was a delightful 78 degrees, with 69% humidity on my morning commute. It was a seersucker (not that it helped much) morning. Bob

PATRICK MOORE

Jul 14, 2012, 12:00:18 PM7/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I pity y'all in the less desirable, more humid states ...

Patrick Moore, sweating at 37% in monsoonal ABQ, NM
--
"Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you."