A Minor Modification

David T.

Sep 9, 2012, 4:55:56 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I have really been enjoying the Albatross bars on my Atlantis, the whole bike seems to have fallen together.

I like having a mirror, it allows me to relax because I don’t have to wonder what might be gaining on me. But I didn’t want to squander any of that prime real estate on the bars. So I decided to mount the mirror on the brake lever body.

The only problem was I didn’t get a good view except of my hand and my left hip, which wasn’t very interesting to look at after a while. So I chopped the mirror, leaving the stalk and the ball and socket, and gave it a longer stalk, made of fine Canadian aluminum.

By cutting the fine Canadian aluminum just right you can choose the angle it sticks out at. I suggest a rakish angle.

Now it juts proudly into the lane and I have a clear view of all that is behind me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51518228@N06/7965501392/in/set-72157631487256056

Lyle Bogart

Sep 9, 2012, 5:10:47 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, David! Personally, I'm not a mirror fan but I can certainly appreciate them. How solidly do the zip ties hold the mirror? Is there much vibration out at the mirror end?

Cheers!

lyle

P.S.: Nice Atlantis :)

--
lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

David T.

Sep 9, 2012, 8:16:38 PM9/9/12

On Sunday, September 9, 2012 5:11:09 PM UTC-4, LyleBogart{AT}gmail.com wrote:
Nice work, David! Personally, I'm not a mirror fan but I can certainly appreciate them. How solidly do the zip ties hold the mirror? Is there much vibration out at the mirror end?

Cheers!

lyle

P.S.: Nice Atlantis :)

--
lyle f bogart dpt

The mirror is on absolutely solid. Just as well as with the original clamp. I didn't think it was going to work so well, I thought I might have to put some glue on there to help it, but it wasn't necessary. I have been riding it for several weeks on roads and trails and it doesn't budge. If you look at how I drilled the holes, the zip ties hold it in tension against the flat part of the brake. The stalk of the mirror is glued into the aluminum tubing with epoxy glue. The ball and socket still works to adjust the mirror.

There is no vibration to speak of, no more than with the original mirror, which I never notice.

David

Lyle Bogart

Sep 9, 2012, 8:53:50 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the details. Again, very nice work!

cheers!

lyle

lyle f bogart dpt

cyclotourist

Sep 9, 2012, 9:00:38 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's a fine bicycle hack you have there!
Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson.

dougP

Sep 9, 2012, 10:04:05 PM9/9/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Zip ties & fine Canadian aluminum...what a combination! Nice job.

I'm a mirror lover, & prefer my beerview mirror. But let's not go
down that rabbit hole!

dougP

On Sep 9, 6:00 pm, cyclotourist <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a fine bicycle hack you have there!
>

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Lyle Bogart <lylebog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the details. Again, very nice work!
>
> > cheers!
>
> > lyle
>
> "The good thing about *science* is that it's *true* whether or not you *
> believe* in it." -- *Neil deGrasse Tyson*.- Hide quoted text -

Manuel Acosta

Sep 10, 2012, 12:46:26 AM9/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow a elegant solution