Good Deal on Ibex XL and XXL Knickers

Mike Schiller

Jan 17, 2013, 6:02:08 PM1/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you are a larger person Sierra Trading Post has a good deal on Ibex  El Fito wool knickers right now.
I just got a pair of XL's and they fit me great ( 5'11" and 190lbs).  These things are the Bee's Knees for cold weather riding.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca.

pb

Jan 17, 2013, 10:09:47 PM1/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike, you live in Carlsbad.  Your idea of "cold weather" may be a bit tweaked.

:-)

Peter
(yes, I rode both days last weekend)

pb

Jan 17, 2013, 10:11:12 PM1/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On a more serious note, how heavy would you describe these as being?

Mike Schiller

Jan 17, 2013, 10:21:59 PM1/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would say they are medium weight.  As you know we have had some days recently that were in the 50's all day.  And 30's at night and early in the morning.

And I do like to ride in other places.

I also like keeping my knees warm so these are fine up to about 65 degrees  with a light wool long sleeve top.

~mike

David Yu Greenblatt

Jan 17, 2013, 11:17:01 PM1/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like these Ibex wool knickers, too, in the bib version. MUSA out of NZ wool, good stuff. The fabric seems heavier than in the Ibex bibshorts which I also own and like. They also have windblocker panels to protect the knees. I find my bib-knickers good for cool-to-cold (i.e., 35-55 degrees F) riding here in San Francisco. I tend to run warm, and never feel the need to wear full tights (in SF; winter cycling in Wisconsin was a different story).

- David G in SF

Ron Mc

Jan 18, 2013, 8:55:37 AM1/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I found another good deal at sierratradingpost http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smartwool-nts-base-layer-boot-top-bottoms-merino-wool-3and4-length-midweight-for-men~p~4972t/?colorFamily=01 smartwool knicker base layer to wear under your Rivbike MUSA knickers

Ron Mc

Jan 18, 2013, 10:25:24 AM1/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
ps, if you're dying to buy something at sierratradingpost, this will push you over the edge.  This coupon code will get you addition 45% off plus free shipping.
killer deal, it's like $30 off a minimum order.  CKE2511U good today only

cyclotourist

Jan 18, 2013, 9:18:07 PM1/18/13
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tree Fort Bikes has size large in stock and will match that price if anyone is looking for that size. I just ordered a pair!

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." -Mark Twain

Robert Barr

Jan 18, 2013, 10:33:44 PM1/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like Ibex products, and the make, function, and price of these knickers looks good, but I dislike the old style cycling pads and it looks like these knickers have one built in. I can't tell from the pictures at Ibex if it is easy to snip out. If you have a pair in hand would you please let me know your thoughts on how simple it would be to remove the liner? Bob (Indianapolis)

Brian Hanson

Jan 19, 2013, 12:59:52 AM1/19/13
to rbw-owners-bunch
Not easy to remove those liners...

Brian
Seattle, WA

Mike Schiller

Jan 19, 2013, 1:33:33 AM1/19/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have not done it on mine but I know of a few people who have using a steam ripper.  Not sure how it looks after but it has been done.

~mike

Robert Barr

Jan 19, 2013, 11:17:30 AM1/19/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the first hand report.  I have modified several pair of shorts with a seam ripper, but these Ibex knickers look much harder to modify. I will pass.