Pedals

Ryan Ray

Jul 24, 2012, 3:38:54 PM7/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Started with platforms
Went to clips, then to clip-less
Finally: platforms

When I got back into cycling someone actually pointed out the Riv site to me. I read the articles, tried some stuff out. The Shoes Ruse was one of the articles I read more than once. I tried flat pedals with my vans and boat shoes and didn't like it. Once my soles were wet they had issues staying on the pedals and were not fun to spin in. So I went clipless and didn't have many of the issues other people had with them. I picked the double sided Shimano ones and they were fine.

Then I went camping a few times on my bike and decided it wasn't fun even to wear the SPD MTB style shoes around camp so I picked up some breathable meshy hiking shoes with good tread on the bottom. Now even when wet the non SPD side of my pedals feel good and don't slip. Turns out I didn't have the wrong pedals before I just had the wrong shoes. I can't imagine clipping in again anytime soon.

- Ryan

charlie

Sep 8, 2012, 11:17:00 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yea I found that when riding unconnected I need a pedal that has some 'tooth' so I use BMX platform pedals with pins. The Grip Kings with the custom pins added probably work the same too.  I used to pedal on the MKS touring pedals but in rain they were too slippery hence the change to the BMX pin pedal. Regardless I have been riding un-connected now since about 2001 or so and have had no negative issues. Once I got over the lazy leg syndrome of (not) riding connected my feet always stay on the pedals.

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:54:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Chen wrote:
<Granola>
I feel best when riding in birkenstocks (when it's dry out). The simple "Arizona" model, with two top straps and no rear strap. On MKS touring pedals.
Because I live in Portland, I'll need to re-evaluate footwear as the rains come. Previous winters I've ridden in Timberline oxfords.

No complaints!
</Granola>

lungimsam

Sep 11, 2012, 5:38:15 PM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am torn between my speedplay clipless and platforms. I seem to switch them up alot.

I will say that clipless is the ultimate in riding comfort and attachment, for me.
But it sure is nice to get off a bike and be able to walk around in regular shoes.

Brewster Fong

Sep 11, 2012, 6:18:37 PM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What speedplay pedals do you have? I use to ride speedplay X2 pedals and once I got use to them, really liked them too. But, I got tired of walking like a duck, so I decided to try the speedplay frogs - wow, same great comfort and attachment and now ride them on both of my bikes. I'm giving my X2s to a buddy! Good Luck!

BSWP

Sep 11, 2012, 8:31:46 PM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think the Grip Kings are the ugliest pieces of kit that RBW sells. Clunky and strangely-shaped. And they don't even come standard with the requisite set screws, which are needed to hold your shoes in place.

On the other hand, the VP Gripsters are fantastic. Thin, light, pre-installed (with threadlocker!) set screws, I'm really liking them on the fixed-gear QuickBeam.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Matt Beebe

Sep 12, 2012, 9:48:57 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I grew up using beartraps and BMX pedals with pins, but lately am more and more inclined to use less aggressively grippy flat pedals such as rubber blocks or "comfort pedals" like these, since my shoes last longer that way.    In my experience, you get used to the amount of grip you have and won't have any problems keeping your feet on the pedals once accustomed.

Matt

PATRICK MOORE

Sep 12, 2012, 10:03:39 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those pedals are the same as or very similar to the stock pedals on my friend's lately purchased Novara Fusion and I have to say that, at least with boat-type slip ons, those on the Novara, at least, don't grip very well.

What I'd like to see is rubber block pedals with a half clip, but I suppose that wish is doomed to disappointment.

"Believe nothing until it has been officially denied."
                                                   -- Claude Cockburn

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

Matt Beebe

Sep 12, 2012, 10:47:36 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry my post wasn't clear.  I am using these pedals-  they don't grip well, but I got used to it, and don't have any trouble keeping my feet on them.

Philip Williamson

Sep 12, 2012, 1:37:42 PM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Grip Tape. $5 at the skate shop will put gription on every pedal you own.
They have enough stickability to ride fixed offroad with no other retention.

Wooden inserts for quill pedals was pretty lame:  http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/quill-pedal-skateboard-inserts/

I do like the idea of rubber blocks with half-clips...

I'm a crank about this like I was about Bobike front-loading kid seats...
Philip
Message has been deleted

Mike On A Bike

Sep 12, 2012, 11:38:11 PM9/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
FWIW, while on the subject of shoes & pedals, I just got a pair of
vivobarefoot "Breatho Trail" shoes this week and they are by far the
most comfortable shoe I've ever had, and they are awesome in terms of
ride performance and comfort. They are sort of like Vibram Fivefingers
but thicker and don't look weird as hell, and though I notice the
pedal under my foot more than with normal shoes, it's not at all
uncomfortable and maybe even ups the Zen-y connectedness to the bike a
bit. The lugged tread grips my Gripkings extremely well, and I feel
just about locked in with them.

Also, they are SUPER light, and they really do breathe quite well as I
could feel the breeze flowing through shoe when I focused on it. In
short, these shoes work really great as far as grip, being light and
nimble, not ugly, and of course you've got the whole primal blueprint
barefoot walking to get your feet JAKKED thing going on too. I'm very
picky when it comes to gear and I'd give these a 9/10 for sure. One
thing to be aware of: they run a solid size small, as I am a 46 and
ordered a 47 and it is just right.

The people at Altrec are good humans and have an REI-like return
policy, for the link: http://tinyurl.com/8jjb7ur. + You can get a 15%
off coupon by creating an account and writing a review for anything.

On Sep 12, 1:37 pm, Philip Williamson <philip.william...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Grip Tape. $5 at the skate shop will put gription on every pedal you own.
> They have enough stickability to ride fixed offroad with no other
> retention.
>
> Skateboard pedal
> decks:http://problemsolversbike.com/blog/comments/how_to_make_skateboard_pe...
> It makes MKS GR-9s rideable in the
> rain.http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/griptape-on-platform-pedals/
> Wooden inserts for quill pedals was pretty lame:
>  http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/quill-pedal-skateboard-inserts/
>
> I do like the idea of rubber blocks with half-clips...
>
> I'm a crank about this like I was about Bobike front-loading kid seats...
> Philipwww.biketinker.com
>

> On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:03:44 AM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:
>
> > Those pedals are the same as or very similar to the stock pedals on my
> > friend's lately purchased Novara Fusion and I have to say that, at least
> > with boat-type slip ons, those on the Novara, at least, don't grip very
> > well.
>
> > What I'd like to see is rubber block pedals with a half clip, but I
> > suppose that wish is doomed to disappointment.
>
> > On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Matt Beebe <matthi...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > > wrote:
>
> >> I grew up using beartraps and BMX pedals with pins, but lately am more
> >> and more inclined to use less aggressively grippy flat pedals such as
> >> rubber blocks or "comfort pedals" like these<http://winor-xlc.elfriede.eikona-server.de/bild.php?src=portal/artike...>,
> >> since my shoes last longer that way.    In my experience, you get used to
> >> the amount of grip you have and won't have any problems keeping your feet
> >> on the pedals once accustomed.
>
> >> Matt

> >>  --
Message has been deleted

doc

Sep 13, 2012, 9:49:04 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My favorite combination includes Sketcher Journeyman camping sandals on spiked Grip Kings.  If it gets chilly, take along wool socks.

I see VO is soon offering a wide spiked platform pedal as well.

Beth H

Sep 13, 2012, 10:46:30 AM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I still ride with clips and straps on my daily commuter, but the straps are set fairly wide open to facilitate ease of use and to accommodate my toe-clip covers:

Underneath is this kind of older Shimano BMX platform:

If anyone finds these pedals, grab 'em! They are by far one of the most comfortable pedals for pedaling free, but have the added benefit of being able to take a toeclip (with some modification, suggest you use chrome metal clips for bendability).

My Surly Big Dummy now uses some Redline BMX platforms with pins. Also pretty comfortable, and the pins do help with gription in our rainy winters.

Shoe of choice: Chrome Kursk (non-PSD version). Several cuts above the Converse sneaker on which it's loosely based, this is one stylish, classy sneaker that rides beautifully. I rode for years in Vans until I tried a pair of these. Perfect for medium-to-skinny feet; stiffer sole than most sneakers but not uncomfortable for walking all day; removable insole is one of the thickets and most supportive ever. I like these so much that I followed my mother's longstanding rule of buying several pairs in multiple colors ("if it's a good shoe and it fits you well, buy it in every color before they stop making it.")

At $75 a pair they're not cheap; but they can be found on sale at the Chrome web site (check their "backdoor" for closeouts and overruns) and also on eBay. I have four pairs and didn't pay full price for any of them.
The monochrome [all-black] version is classiest of all -- nice enough, when new at least, to wear in some professional settings. (I teach in mine.)

Beth in PDX

Robert Barr

Sep 12, 2012, 10:08:21 PM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Ron - form follows function. I haven't regularly ridden another pedal since I put on GKs over 3 years ago. Most interesting to me is that I like them with my 11.5 EEE feet, and my wife likes them with her much smaller and narrower feet. Bob

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Matt Beebe <matthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool idea, but my whole point for using these pedals is that they don't chew up my footwear (or feet if barefoot), and I have found that I don't miss the grippiness of pins or whatever.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/jv6t0Kjd15gJ.

Brian Hanson

Sep 13, 2012, 10:26:03 PM9/13/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Evolve Cruzer.  Light and comfy!  I have two pairs and wear them at work and on the bike.  Haven't clipped in since I started wearing these.  Props to Amit for prompting me to check these out.  Zappos has 'em...

Brian
Seattle, WA

lungimsam

Sep 14, 2012, 2:47:01 AM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
@ Brewster:

I had the Light Action pedals - too easy to slip out, and hard to engage, walk like a duck.

Now have Frogs. Easy to engage, strong holding power. But I still walk like a duck (ngaap).

ted

Sep 14, 2012, 2:32:41 PM9/14/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been using Speedplay X pedals since the first X1s first came
out. It took a week or two to get used to the "float", and I found
that cleat placement affected how the float felt, but for years and
years I have really liked em. Among other advantages they are way
easier to engage than other styles. But, though cleat covers help,
walking on em is not so great.
For me the ratio of riding to walking changes my pedal preference.
Though I do prefer riding with cleats, it doesn't take much walking in
my game plan for me to choose regular shoes and flat pedals.
Im currently experimenting with the new MKS Urban Platform pedals.
They are a much more affordable take on modernizing the classic
Lyotard MB (still have a cherished pair of those) than the White
Industries (which I always wanted to try but never forked over the $$
for).

On Sep 13, 11:47 pm, lungimsam <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @ Brewster:
>
> I had the *Light Action pedals* - too easy to slip out, and hard to engage,
> walk like a duck.
>
> Now have *Frogs*. Easy to engage, strong holding power. But I still walk
> like a duck (ngaap).

PATRICK MOORE

Sep 14, 2012, 4:22:03 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is much my strategy, tho', since I don't wear street shoes indoors, it is easy for me to slip on shoes with SPD cleats when I want to, say, run errands.

I used X-1s for years and liked them a lot; the principle problem with all Speedplays, X's and Frogs alike, is their susceptibility to sand/dirt, which is a real issue here where little grass grows unless it is coddled as if it were a rare and delicate fauna like orchids. I switched to Looks which, tho' susceptible, aren't quite as susceptible -- and, beside, I like the large, flat platform.

OTOH, I've thought of going back to X-1s simply because they are so easy to click into, even when you are riding fixed -- the underside of my left KEO is scuffed and scarred from the Frantic Freddie Fumble that I usually perform at traffic lights. (Odd, I didn't have this problem with straps and slotted cleats.)

lungimsam

Sep 14, 2012, 8:26:47 PM9/14/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Now I am back to the Touring pedals and clips-no straps. I wear blue canvas Nike tennis shoes. Looking for a shoe with a bigger toe box.

BSWP

Sep 28, 2012, 5:20:55 PM9/28/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
RBW updated their VP Thin Gripsters page, with a new handy handi-cam video, and a new price.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe4.htmhttp://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe4.htm

I'm still really liking these pedals, even if they scrape my shins sometimes when I bang into 'em. All of my shoes stay on the pedals, and no pedal strike while pedaling through turns.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Peter Morgano

Sep 28, 2012, 7:05:58 PM9/28/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And they are already sold out. I am usually not a complainer but are they buying 5 pairs at a time? You would think they would get a better price for buying more from thier supplier and it seems the demand is there....