What is the "false" directory?

Sans

Apr 24, 2012, 8:13:07 AM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named false in the present working directory, if I run puppetd -t manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are like this:

8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

Peter Bukowinski

Apr 24, 2012, 8:39:16 AM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you, perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

-- Peter
Message has been deleted

Sans

Apr 24, 2012, 9:12:02 AM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what exactly you mean: I don't have any path defined with "false" in it.
Just figured out that whenever the content of a file is being modified, the "false" directory is being created with the old file (as "content") in it. So, looks like it's actually not modifying the file (in question) at all but replacing with the new one and keeping the old (i.e. original) one in the "false" directory. Am I making any sense here at all? Cheers!!

On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans <r.sant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named false in the present working directory, if I run puppetd -t manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are like this:

8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

Sans

Apr 24, 2012, 9:21:10 AM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter! Got it now!

You were absolutely right - I had path   => 'false' for filebucket (in the site.pp).
But I thought, Puppet recommends to quote around everything (apart from variables). That's not true, I see. Cheers!!

Peter Bukowinski

Apr 24, 2012, 9:38:31 AM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Glad you got it sorted. You've discovered the importance of quoting and *not* quoting. The best practice is to single quote any string that does not contain a variable. If you're using a variable, use double quotes so it gets interpreted properly. Quotes should *not* be used around any of puppet's native values, e.g. true/running, false/stopped, present, absent, file, directory, link latest, absent, purged, etc.

--
Peter

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/M9LXUDvJXtYJ.

Peter

Nigel Kersten

Apr 24, 2012, 1:38:27 PM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
This should get reported as a bug though.

We should probably only accept absolute paths for the 'path' parameter, and "false" should get interpreted as the boolean.

Krzysztof Wilczynski

Apr 24, 2012, 5:04:56 PM4/24/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:38:27 PM UTC+1, Nigel Kersten wrote:
This should get reported as a bug though.

We should probably only accept absolute paths for the 'path' parameter, and "false" should get interpreted as the boolean.

+1

KW

Peter Bukowinski

Apr 25, 2012, 1:28:31 PM4/25/12